Euro 96

Paully

I know he hadn't scored for England for over a year but Shearer was 12/1 to be top scorer  :D

Absolute madness when he had scored 31 in 35 the previous league campaign!

I know he hadn't scored for England for over a year but Shearer was 12/1 to be top scorer  :D

Absolute madness when he had scored 31 in 35 the previous league campaign!

If i remember right, England were struggling to create chances for him.  That maybe influenced the Bookies’ thinking more than Shearer’s invidual ability.

Other than the Dutch 4-1 game. Where we were brilliant. I always felt we pretty much labored to the Semi's. Which is why Argentina in 98 always irks me because i genuinely think we'd haven given the Dutch & French a game. 

Also, I know he complimented Shearer well but with hindsight and knowing how they played together the following season. I always wonder how Ferdinand & Shearer would have worked at this tournament.

Other than the Dutch 4-1 game. Where we were brilliant. I always felt we pretty much labored to the Semi's. Which is why Argentina in 98 always irks me because i genuinely think we'd haven given the Dutch & French a game. 

Also, I know he complimented Shearer well but with hindsight and knowing how they played together the following season. I always wonder how Ferdinand & Shearer would have worked at this tournament.

I know he was only a kid but he’d still just come off the back of a title winning season, but Beckham on the right? Shearer and Ferdinand might have worked as a pair that way. Also think Scholes could have offered something. He’d just scored 10 league goals for the title winners as well. Might have been Gazza that he pushed out though.

I know he was only a kid but he’d still just come off the back of a title winning season, but Beckham on the right? Shearer and Ferdinand might have worked as a pair that way. Also think Scholes could have offered something. He’d just scored 10 league goals for the title winners as well. Might have been Gazza that he pushed out though.

And then probably would have got a toe on that chance in extra time against Germany

Guest Howaythetoon

Good point about Beckham. 7 goals and 5 assist in league wining season. Redknapp, Anderton, Barmby & Stones over Lee, Batty, Beckham & Scholes. 

Aye some of that squad selection was crap!

The 1970 World Cup final that everyone bangs on about is almost entirely at walking pace like. It's a shame, I bet the football was on another planet at the time but it's really hard to appreciate now with everything that's come since then.

I remember watching the '66 Final when that was shown on BBC once, the standard was dreadful compared to today.

It’s awful isn’t it?! :lol: I honestly think a combination best of Red v Blue would’ve give England World Cup winning team a run for its money :lol:

Guest neesy111

The 1970 World Cup final that everyone bangs on about is almost entirely at walking pace like. It's a shame, I bet the football was on another planet at the time but it's really hard to appreciate now with everything that's come since then.

I remember watching the '66 Final when that was shown on BBC once, the standard was dreadful compared to today.

It’s awful isn’t it?! :lol: I honestly think a combination best of Red v Blue would’ve give England World Cup winning team a run for its money :lol:

Give over.

Guest Howaythetoon

Give over.

Nah, he’s right, us reds would win of course just like the ‘66 team!

Guest Carrick18

I've often thought that about some of Beardsley's goals, watching them back. He's at walking pace, shuffling his feet and totally bamboozling defenders.

"Peter Beardsley - Newcastle Nostalgia" on Youtube, 12 seconds in against Villa being a prime example :lol:

You have to factor in how the equipment and conditioning have changed though. A football now and a football then (even as recently as 93/94) are different propositions.

On a related note, Beardsley, like Gazza, is one of those players I have a hard time coming to terms with. An amazing player, one I love, but with a dark side I can't ignore.

Knowing the season that came after, it was funny hearing Ron Atkinson talking about Shearer and Ferdinand not working together. It’s mad that Ferdinand never got on after the season he’d just had.

I was at the Scotland England match, as a 6 year old Scotland fan. I burst into tears when McAllister missed the pen, and hadnt finished crying when Gazza scored - was a wreck. :lol: