Roeder IS the right man for THIS Newcastle United

Guest Knightrider

you don't know how long clubs take to "research" players so stop pretending you do. The only hypocrite is you, you've admitted by your own comments you think the club should take their time then in the next breath say they shouldn't. What you really mean is if the club makes a signing that doesn't work you will slate them for making too much research/not enough research [delete as appropriate]

:lol:

But then you apply these hypocricies all the time. Beardsley was "well known" because he played for ManU [when they were winning nowt or not much], so well known an auction for his signing escalated the fee to a whopping 150,000 and his status at the time was similar to that of our loan signing Rossi - who you are slating us for signing on loan yet applauding the signing of the equally "well known" Beardsley .... another hypocritical comment.

I judge players. I don't really care what they cost or where they come from. Duff was bought as a proven quality premiership player, one look at Luque and I stated on here that he would not become that. If you can't do anything other than use hindsight then its your problem. Shame you didn't tell us that Duff wouldn't produce his Blackburn form for us - so far anyway. Why do you think he signed for us when our own Newcastle supporter left us for them for a British record transfer fee eh ? Why did Duff want to play for Newcastle more than Peter Beardsley did ?  :lol: :lol: :lol: Somehow I don't expect a response to this.

PS Where is your sister these days  :lol:

bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif

Where in those two lines did I say I knew how long clubs scouted players?  The important word you missed was "publicly,"  the person who complains about getting his posts clipped can't even quote a couple of lines correctly. bluebiggrin.gif

Beardsley was, and I'll quote what I said, "well known enough for Man U to be interested in him."  The rest, that's just what you've expanded it to so far, you exaggerate it more each time you use it. blueyes.gif

you don't know how long clubs take to "research" players so stop pretending you do. The only hypocrite is you, you've admitted by your own comments you think the club should take their time then in the next breath say they shouldn't. What you really mean is if the club makes a signing that doesn't work you will slate them for making too much research/not enough research [delete as appropriate]

But then you apply these hypocricies all the time. Beardsley was "well known" because he played for ManU [when they were winning nowt or not much], so well known an auction for his signing escalated the fee to a whopping 150,000 and his status at the time was similar to that of our loan signing Rossi - who you are slating us for signing on loan yet applauding the signing of the equally "well known" Beardsley .... another hypocritical comment.

I judge players. I don't really care what they cost or where they come from. Duff was bought as a proven quality premiership player, one look at Luque and I stated on here that he would not become that. If you can't do anything other than use hindsight then its your problem. Shame you didn't tell us that Duff wouldn't produce his Blackburn form for us - so far anyway. Why do you think he signed for us when our own Newcastle supporter left us for them for a British record transfer fee eh ? Why did Duff want to play for Newcastle more than Peter Beardsley did ?  :lol: :lol: :lol: Somehow I don't expect a response to this.

PS Where is your sister these days  :lol:

bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif

Where in those two lines did I say I knew how long clubs scouted players?  The important word you missed was "publicly,"  the person who complains about getting his posts clipped can't even quote a couple of lines correctly. bluebiggrin.gif

Beardsley was, and I'll quote what I said, "well known enough for Man U to be interested in him."  The rest, that's just what you've expanded it to so far, you exaggerate it more each time you use it. blueyes.gif

So Rossi is well known because he's a manu reserve then  :lol: :lol: :lol: What is wrong with us bringing him in short term loan but bringing in Beardsley was a world shattering deal  :lol: :lol:

You are complaining the club spent "too long" researching Duff, but you don't know how long clubs research players. Why did Duff choose us instead of liverpool when Beardsley left us for Liverpool - and Alan kennedy too ? Surely an Irish player would choose them before us ? Puts to shame the 2 local lads who left us for them eh ...... especially as back then we had a club that was "the same as the one now"

Another brilliantly stupid hypocritical and nonsensical post.

So Rossi is well known because he's a manu reserve then  :lol: :lol: :lol: What is wrong with us bringing him in short term loan but bringing in Beardsley was a world shattering deal  :lol: :lol:

You are complaining the club spent "too long" researching Duff, but you don't know how long clubs research players. Why did Duff choose us instead of liverpool when Beardsley left us for Liverpool - and Alan kennedy too ? Surely an Irish player would choose them before us ? Puts to shame the 2 local lads who left us for them eh ...... especially as back then we had a club that was "the same as the one now"

The bit in bold is about the only thing in that post that makes sense if you're referring to your own post.

bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

You've lost it, where did any of that come from?

If you're drinking then maybe you should slow down.

bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

The bit in bold is about the only thing in that post that makes sense if you're referring to your own post.

You've lost it, where did any of that come from?

If you're drinking then maybe you should slow down.

thickmick is in a state of denial again  :lol:

I love how Superbore and The Boy Blunder continually call people thick for disagreeing with them. Honestly, they dont have a bleeding clue.  bluelaugh.gif

Guest Knightrider

Admittedly a lot of the positive changes have been forced on Roeder and indeed it will be interesting to see how we fare with all our so-called big players back, but Roeder is charged with sending that team out to win games and he can't be faulted on that front. Given our young and inexperienced back-four with two players playing out of position, the unbalanced midfield and the mismatched strikeforce, to pick up results with that team, shows a lot of good where Roeder is concerned. Under Souness after a few bad results the team would capitualte further but Roeder has galvanised the team, instilled confidence and gotten the very best out of what is available to him, not only as a team but individually too.

In the process he has shown a huge degree of motivational skills, organisational skills and intelligence - key attributes needed to manage well. Things I questioned him for. Of course he has a few flaws and lets not forget some of the awful performances and results nor Roeder's own failings but when it comes to working well with what you have, Roeder is proving quite adept at it and that bodes well for him and us as a team.

I'm impressed with the level of confidence, spirit and leadership the youngsters take to the field with - that can only come from the manager. I'm impressed with the togetherness in the camp - again that can only come from the manager. I'm impressed with the improvements in Butt, Parker, Martins and others. I'm impressed with our mini run which has came unexpectedly and on the back of a injury nightmare that lets be honest here, not many could cope with/

Therefore I think he not only deserves credit but also some slack. I've seen every team this season and we are as strong as any outside of the top 5 teams who currently sit in 1-to-5th. Roeder is also on a par with any manager outside of those managing the top 5 placed teams so you would think he could build a team capable of finishing in the top 6 for a number of seasons and that is more than good enough for us at this present time of transition, rebuilding and uncertainty (takeover etc.).

Of course if we could get in a better manager we should take that option but it isn't as easy as that and for once, I think we should be patient and less demanding/expectant of the club until we have the players, experience and skills to get back to the level we once were under SBR. In order to get there someone has to make the changes to make that happen and that will take time and aye, some falls.

In short, as the title of the thread says... Roeder is the best man for that job, for this NUFC - a broken club looking to recover from a good few years of mismanagement.

IMO.

It's a problem that he has his favourites and will select them regardless, no matter how average they are and much they unbalance the team (Parker), or simply how shite the are.

Depends how you look at it, though. I for one would always select Parker if fit and available. Also, all managers have their favourites. SBR had his - Jenas, Dyer et al - yet he brought results and performances from the team, and Roeder will have to do the same, in spite of his favourites and so on.

We aren't the only unbalanced side in the league, in fact, I'd say most teams are unbalanced in one way or onother and could, conceivably select a better XI on paper, but it isn't down to individuals, but the team and good teams can compensate for weaker players, round pegs in square holes etc. etc. - again SBR did, and to great effect.

I'm not too worried about Roeder selecting a few of his faves, he will have his reasons and lets face it, we as fans all have our ideal team WE would play and consider the best side equipped to win games, but it isn't as easy as that.

For every reason someone could give for not playing Parker (for example), I could come up with reasons to play him and vice versa, right throughout the list of players.

That might be so, but Parker actually does nothing that is worth having him in the team for. Imo.

The worst decision by far made by Roeder to date has been making this bloke the team captain. He's committed to selecting him week in, week out and that's the biggest single concern I have over the club right now.

Remember I said the same about Jenas for most of his time at the club before he eventually left and now everyone slags him.

I agree about making him captain, although that isn't to say he's noty captain material because he is for me, we don't have many outstanding candidates do we... but by making him captain (as you said) that kind of makes him a guaranteed starter and that's never a good thing at any club unless that player happens to be world-class which Parker isn't and never will be.

I disagree strongly with you that Parker "does nothing", however. He's a very good Premiership standard player in my opinion and while it is true we aren't seeing the best of him, I think that's more down to the team/Roeder/tactics than the actual player himself. That said, is Parker worth all the tinkering and changes to the team and from Roeder? I'm not so sure myself. I certainly wouldn't want to see the team built around him or for him to become the focal point of the midfield.

There is a solution though, for both the team and player - play him as an anchorman and let him concentrate on that role and all the aspects that come with it. We need such a player anyway and I think Parker has shown himself to be more than able at doing that job for the team. Witness last season under Souness where he was man of the match most games (I know... he stood out more because the rest were more often than not shite, but that's my point, the best DCM's play in the background WHEN THE TEAM PLAYS WELL, they stand out when the team doesn't).

Guest Knightrider

Roeder has done a good (not great) job with the squad at his disposal, but I can't agree that that's all I ask of him. It is absolutely vital in today's football that the transfer window is handled well and to begin the season without enough playing staff is just embarrassing for a club of our size.

At the time of signing Duff I thought we had a bargain, and I still think he'll come good for us this season and justify his fee. But knowing now that we only had £15m to spend he must be seen as a trophy signing and a bit of an impulse buy. All fur coat and no knickers. We had N'Zogbia, Milner and dare I say it, Luque to fill in for that position anyway, yet we were crying out for defenders. Roeder sells our most valuable defender and doesn't bring in anyone. Totally disgraceful. You talk about learning lessons but he only had to look back to when Woodgate was sold and not replaced, and the club had to bring in Ronny Johnsen as emergency cover. The writing was on the wall.

I agree it is all about expectations. Bobby built them right up and Souness smashed them. As a club I get the feeling that we are collectively feeling sorry for ourselves. Last season Spurs were denied a place in the top 4 on the last day of the season. The year before Everton, who had just survived relegation, finished 4th. Now Portsmouth and Bolton are rubbing shoulders with Liverpool and Arsenal. Fair play to them (even though I hate Bolton), they have a positive attitude and deserve it. This league is wide open and we have some top quality players on our books. Outside the top four we shouldn't expect to beat everyone but we have every right to feel disappointed when we don't because, whatever anyone says, none are significantly better than us.

I was perhaps a bit too vague with my "and that's all I can ask from him" comments. Of course we need more from Roeder but I was talking more about from match to match - on that basis - where as you're mentioning transfer windows and such which I actually couldn't agree more with you regarding such areas of management.

I also agree Roeder made a mess of the transfer window, I was very critical of him at the time and without a doubt it has had a huge (negative) impact on our season. That said I don't think he alone is to blame and I'm sure he knows how bad he did in the window and that he'll learn from it. I personally think he was very naive and I also question the communication between boardroom, manager and scouts.

That's a good point you make regarding feeling sorry for ourselves, I think you're right and that may not be too bad a thing for us at the moment, especially on the stands.

Anyway I too consider us a match for those outside the top 5 and I think in time Roeder will have us there or there abouts in the top 6 (maybe not this season) which should leave the club in a good state of health for his successor - Mr Shearer.

I was perhaps a bit too vague with my "and that's all I can ask from him" comments. Of course we need more from Roeder but I was talking more about from match to match - on that basis - where as you're mentioning transfer windows and such which I actually couldn't agree more with you regarding such areas of management.

I also agree Roeder made a mess of the transfer window, I was very critical of him at the time and without a doubt it has had a huge (negative) impact on our season. That said I don't think he alone is to blame and I'm sure he knows how bad he did in the window and that he'll learn from it. I personally think he was very naive and I also question the communication between boardroom, manager and scouts.

That's a good point you make regarding feeling sorry for ourselves, I think you're right and that may not be too bad a thing for us at the moment, especially on the stands.

Anyway I too consider us a match for those outside the top 5 and I think in time Roeder will have us there or there abouts in the top 6 (maybe not this season) which should leave the club in a good state of health for his successor - Mr Shearer.

Roeder has fallen down so far this season when he's had to make decisions, we've done better when the team has virtually picked itself, when he's had to chose who plays we've struggled as a team, I'm not sure we're a match for those outside of the top 5 while Roeder is at the club, time will tell.  Maybe we are just doing better now because the players have had more games together although that would be weird considering we are usuallt forced to change the team every week.

I suppose we 'll find out as injured players return and are brought back into the team, some automatically rather than on merit.

Guest Knightrider

Roeder has fallen down so far this season when he's had to make decisions, we've done better when the team has virtually picked itself, when he's had to chose who plays we've struggled as a team, I'm not sure we're a match for those outside of the top 5 while Roeder is at the club, time will tell.  Maybe we are just doing better now because the players have had more games together although that would be weird considering we are usuallt forced to change the team every week.

I suppose we 'll find out as injured players return and are brought back into the team, some automatically rather than on merit.

I agree, his decision making is suspect to say the least and there aren't many arguements that can point to an upturn in his decision making because of late he hasn't had that many to make. This of course is a big area of management and we'll soon find out whether he can make the right decisions. That said, I wouldn't say his career rests on this area of management, some very good managers down the years who have achieved great things have had suspect decision making skills. SBR wasn't too hot at making vital decisions for example and I don't think Fergie is the greatest in that respect either.

Admittedly a lot of the positive changes have been forced on Roeder and indeed it will be interesting to see how we fare with all our so-called big players back, but Roeder is charged with sending that team out to win games and he can't be faulted on that front. Given our young and inexperienced back-four with two players playing out of position, the unbalanced midfield and the mismatched strikeforce, to pick up results with that team, shows a lot of good where Roeder is concerned. Under Souness after a few bad results the team would capitualte further but Roeder has galvanised the team, instilled confidence and gotten the very best out of what is available to him, not only as a team but individually too.

In the process he has shown a huge degree of motivational skills, organisational skills and intelligence - key attributes needed to manage well. Things I questioned him for. Of course he has a few flaws and lets not forget some of the awful performances and results nor Roeder's own failings but when it comes to working well with what you have, Roeder is proving quite adept at it and that bodes well for him and us as a team.

I'm impressed with the level of confidence, spirit and leadership the youngsters take to the field with - that can only come from the manager. I'm impressed with the togetherness in the camp - again that can only come from the manager. I'm impressed with the improvements in Butt, Parker, Martins and others. I'm impressed with our mini run which has came unexpectedly and on the back of a injury nightmare that lets be honest here, not many could cope with/

Therefore I think he not only deserves credit but also some slack. I've seen every team this season and we are as strong as any outside of the top 5 teams who currently sit in 1-to-5th. Roeder is also on a par with any manager outside of those managing the top 5 placed teams so you would think he could build a team capable of finishing in the top 6 for a number of seasons and that is more than good enough for us at this present time of transition, rebuilding and uncertainty (takeover etc.).

Of course if we could get in a better manager we should take that option but it isn't as easy as that and for once, I think we should be patient and less demanding/expectant of the club until we have the players, experience and skills to get back to the level we once were under SBR. In order to get there someone has to make the changes to make that happen and that will take time and aye, some falls.

In short, as the title of the thread says... Roeder is the best man for that job, for this NUFC - a broken club looking to recover from a good few years of mismanagement.

IMO.

It's a problem that he has his favourites and will select them regardless, no matter how average they are and much they unbalance the team (Parker), or simply how shite the are.

Depends how you look at it, though. I for one would always select Parker if fit and available. Also, all managers have their favourites. SBR had his - Jenas, Dyer et al - yet he brought results and performances from the team, and Roeder will have to do the same, in spite of his favourites and so on.

We aren't the only unbalanced side in the league, in fact, I'd say most teams are unbalanced in one way or onother and could, conceivably select a better XI on paper, but it isn't down to individuals, but the team and good teams can compensate for weaker players, round pegs in square holes etc. etc. - again SBR did, and to great effect.

I'm not too worried about Roeder selecting a few of his faves, he will have his reasons and lets face it, we as fans all have our ideal team WE would play and consider the best side equipped to win games, but it isn't as easy as that.

For every reason someone could give for not playing Parker (for example), I could come up with reasons to play him and vice versa, right throughout the list of players.

That might be so, but Parker actually does nothing that is worth having him in the team for. Imo.

The worst decision by far made by Roeder to date has been making this bloke the team captain. He's committed to selecting him week in, week out and that's the biggest single concern I have over the club right now.

Remember I said the same about Jenas for most of his time at the club before he eventually left and now everyone slags him.

I agree about making him captain, although that isn't to say he's noty captain material because he is for me, we don't have many outstanding candidates do we... but by making him captain (as you said) that kind of makes him a guaranteed starter and that's never a good thing at any club unless that player happens to be world-class which Parker isn't and never will be.

I disagree strongly with you that Parker "does nothing", however. He's a very good Premiership standard player in my opinion and while it is true we aren't seeing the best of him, I think that's more down to the team/Roeder/tactics than the actual player himself. That said, is Parker worth all the tinkering and changes to the team and from Roeder? I'm not so sure myself. I certainly wouldn't want to see the team built around him or for him to become the focal point of the midfield.

There is a solution though, for both the team and player - play him as an anchorman and let him concentrate on that role and all the aspects that come with it. We need such a player anyway and I think Parker has shown himself to be more than able at doing that job for the team. Witness last season under Souness where he was man of the match most games (I know... he stood out more because the rest were more often than not shite, but that's my point, the best DCM's play in the background WHEN THE TEAM PLAYS WELL, they stand out when the team doesn't).

All well and good, mate. However, I don't think he's any good as an anchorman, his passing ability isn't upto it nor is his tackling or reading of the game. It's why he does the eye-catching last ditch stuff, which seems to impress people but which to me is a limitation.

Guest Knightrider

IMO.

All well and good, mate. However, I don't think he's any good as an anchorman, his passing ability isn't upto it nor is his tackling or reading of the game. It's why he does the eye-catching last ditch stuff, which seems to impress people but which to me is a limitation.

Ah, we see different things HTL. No biggy though, just good debating these things  :thup:

IMO.

Ah, we see different things HTL. No biggy though, just good debating these things  :thup:

Aye, I wish others could do it without sniping at every turn.

Remember at this stage lastyear, where Graeme Souness cursed lady luck time after time, we have have had some of the same, luck wise this year. ALOT of injured players, way worse than anything souness had. Still i cant remember seeing roeder complaining about bad luck, and instead he has shown himself very professional, fighting very hard to get results..

to me that seems like someone who can turn things around.

Well done, Knightrider in having the cajones in keep coming on after praising Roeder to the rooftops prior to 2 appalling crappy performances, which have revealed just WHY most of us still have major doubts about him.

How anyone can think Ramage is premier class is a mystery.

How any manager with grey stuff between his ears would employ Srnicek let alone put him between the sticks in an away prem match is WORSE

I reiterate, I have major doubts that Roeder is up to this.

I dearly hope to be proved wrong big-time.

Well done, Knightrider in having the cajones in keep coming on after praising Roeder to the rooftops prior to 2 appalling crappy performances, which have revealed just WHY most of us still have major doubts about him.

How any manager with grey stuff between his ears would employ Srnicek let alone put him between the sticks in an away prem match is WORSE

To be fair to Knightrider, he does have a disclaimer, he means the mismanaged club that we have become/returned to.

Guest Knightrider

To be fair to Knightrider, he does have a disclaimer, he means the mismanaged club that we have become/returned to.

I have two :D

I clearly stated in the first post that I would dispense with him if we could bring in a significantly better manager, without a doubt. However I don't think that will happen so I'm sticking with Roeder, until otherwise.

He for me is the right man to manage this mismanaged club during this period of transition and uncertainty. He's proved himself not only capable but up to the task in hand and with some patience, luck and understanding, I'm sure he can do the work he is being paid to do - to repair the damage of Souness - to a level that is satisfactory: European football which is a must for this club.

He achieved that goal in less than 6 months as caretaker and despite our problems and low league position today, we can still achieve the same again this season which given the circumstances would be another remarkable feat should it happen. IMO anyway.

I clearly stated in the first post that I would dispense with him if we could bring in a significantly better manager, without a doubt. However I don't think that will happen so I'm sticking with Roeder, until otherwise.

He for me is the right man to manage this mismanaged club during this period of transition and uncertainty. He's proved himself not only capable but up to the task in hand and with some patience, luck and understanding, I'm sure he can do the work he is being paid to do - to repair the damage of Souness - to a level that is satisfactory: European football which is a must for this club.

He achieved that goal in less than 6 months as caretaker and despite our problems and low league position today, we can still achieve the same again this season which given the circumstances would be another remarkable feat should it happen. IMO anyway.

blueyes.gif

Will be tough if the gap is still 8+ points come end of January or whatever. We need to play well against the teams we're competing against ie. against the likes of Bolton, Spurs and Everton.

Your first is stronger than your second.

Roeder hasn't done anything for me that an average manager couldn't do.  Yes we moved up the table last season after the departure of Souness but that was only to be expected because the negativity of Souness was lifted.  Roeder did something then that he seems unable to do this season, put out a balanced side.  The Owen injury hasn't anything to do with our state this season, at least no more than it had last season when he was injured from Christmas.

Roeder has had time in the job and developed favouritism and we're paying for that now, we're also paying for him taking over a paper thin squad and reducing it, he's done the same as Souness in that respect.  I wouldn't like to see him using injuries as an excuse because of this and he's not doing it, to his credit, possibly because he's partly to blame for this.

Roeder has got rid of or allowed more players to leave than he‘s brought in which is inexcusable, that‘s down to him and or his boss.  Alan Shearer, Tony Caig, Martin Brittain, Lee Bowyer, Michael Chopra, Robbie Elliott, Amady Faye, Jean-Alain Boumsong have all left and he's brought in Damien Duff, Obafemi Martins, Giuseppe Rossi, Antoine Sibierski, Olivier Bernard and Pavel Srnicek, so 2 more left than have come in, remember also that 2 of those arrived after the transfer window.

Earlier in this thread, I said I was waiting to see what happened in the 3 tough games before passing any form of judgement...Do we really need to see what happens on New Years' Day to confirm anything!!??

Roeder MAY have taken on a difficult job - but that was HIS choice.The Transfer Market activities before the Season were NOT promising, and I remain to be convinced that he has full control of that area, but its is simply now a matter of survival until May - anything else is a massive bonus.

Cannot see any other than big changes at the Club over the next year, WHOEVER is in charge...