Roeder IS the right man for THIS Newcastle United

Guest Knightrider

I like Roeder, and I'd happily see him stick around for another couple of seasons, and if they go well, maybe longer. I remember watching Match of the Day a few months back, we lost and Shearer said 'for them it's about still being in touch after Christmas and sorting it out in January' or something. The implication was we were down with the dead men and only money could save us. Well now we're 11th, not so much in touch as doing nicely thank you very much.

So it's been nice to see a manager I've always liked and rated for a long time (I'm new here, you'll have to trust me) getting things right and proving the critics wrong. I'd rather see him in there than Shearer, because neither I, nor anyone else, has any idea if Shearer can cut it as a manager. Tony Adams couldn't cut it at Wycombe and is now learning his trade at Portsmouth from Redknapp - I'd want Shearer to do something similar before taking over at the toon.

Anyway, back to Roeder. He's got a career long record of developing talent, which given our clubs miserable track record of signing 'promising' young players and seeing them stay that way has got to be a good thing. We're already seeing it with the defence, and the turn around in Butt etc. has got to be down to him. If he can keep Dyer motivated once the England talk starts again it'll be even better.

I do think that maybe he's a little cautious in his tactics - but we don't make things easy for him. A few big defeats (3-1, 3-0) and the defence's confidence would take a pasting that they'd need months to get over, and we can't afford that. Not to mention the sudden difficulty of playing with a hostile crowd and calls for his head again.

For me the model has got to be Allardyce at Bolton, he's got a ten year contract and the club have been patient with him while he's built the entire set up the way he wants it. I'd like to see Roeder given the same security and a chance to really develop a team and build it over a few seasons. As the original post said, a lot of this club is broken, and if we don't take the time to fix it we'll be back where we started. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and then for the rest of our lives...

I like Roeder, and I'd happily see him stick around for another couple of seasons, and if they go well, maybe longer. I remember watching Match of the Day a few months back, we lost and Shearer said 'for them it's about still being in touch after Christmas and sorting it out in January' or something. The implication was we were down with the dead men and only money could save us. Well now we're 11th, not so much in touch as doing nicely thank you very much.

So it's been nice to see a manager I've always liked and rated for a long time (I'm new here, you'll have to trust me) getting things right and proving the critics wrong. I'd rather see him in there than Shearer, because neither I, nor anyone else, has any idea if Shearer can cut it as a manager. Tony Adams couldn't cut it at Wycombe and is now learning his trade at Portsmouth from Redknapp - I'd want Shearer to do something similar before taking over at the toon.

Anyway, back to Roeder. He's got a career long record of developing talent, which given our clubs miserable track record of signing 'promising' young players and seeing them stay that way has got to be a good thing. We're already seeing it with the defence, and the turn around in Butt etc. has got to be down to him. If he can keep Dyer motivated once the England talk starts again it'll be even better.

I do think that maybe he's a little cautious in his tactics - but we don't make things easy for him. A few big defeats (3-1, 3-0) and the defence's confidence would take a pasting that they'd need months to get over, and we can't afford that. Not to mention the sudden difficulty of playing with a hostile crowd and calls for his head again.

For me the model has got to be Allardyce at Bolton, he's got a ten year contract and the club have been patient with him while he's built the entire set up the way he wants it. I'd like to see Roeder given the same security and a chance to really develop a team and build it over a few seasons. As the original post said, a lot of this club is broken, and if we don't take the time to fix it we'll be back where we started. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and then for the rest of our lives...

Great post. Good to have you here. You posts are well thought out.  :thup: Stick around..

Credit where it's due, Roeder has made the best of a messy situation, he's got the players believing in themselves again, the team has stopped leaking silly goals and things are looking up. He's a calm, pensive man in the face of crisis and they're qualities which have served him well.

However, long-term I still don't think he's the man for the job. His tactical shortcomings cannot be overlooked and could hurt us in the transfer market. As I see it he may as well stay until we can find better, but I honestly see him as someone to steady the ship in the short term and nothing more. Realistically there aren't alternative managers around at the moment.

These next three games are very tough and will tell us a lot about the current Newcastle side. The players seem up for the fight but there are a few tired legs out there and I wouldn't be too surprised if we got 0 points from the next 9. Similarly, I wouldn't be too surprised if we picked up 6 points or more. They're 3 games which could go either way and within a week attitudes may change significantly once again. That's the nature of a manager's job, and we as fans are all a bit fickle to some extent.

Alright, here's my opinion on Roeder after reading the whole thread..

He's decent, but the fact is that he got us into this position (11th). After the spectacular finish to last season, he failed to significantly strengthen the team (in the right positions) and thus, was the main reason we struggled early on. Tbh, injuries have actually helped him because it has forced him to try something different and thus, now we're seeing Nobby at RB etc. etc. Would he have tried this if Carr wasn't injured? I really don't know and that bothers me somewhat. Would he have played Sibierski, who gives us better movement and decent link-up play, instead of Ameobi? Would he have eventually tried putting Ramage and Taylor in the center together? Would he have the nerve to drop Parker and put Butt and Emre in the center? Again, I don't know. I'm f***ing delighted at the recent upturn of fortune but will reserve my judgment until after the next 4 crucial games. He's done well recently, but that was preceded by some awfully poor performances and an extremely disjointed team. We had no passion, couldn't create any chances. We were just shit. That start to the season bothers me because he (and/or Fred) fucked up the transfer window, which lead to the shit start to the season.

That's why these next 4 games are extremely crucial. Three tough away games, which will absolutely shape the way our the season goes from here. If we do well and pick up a few points, we'll push on and get a European place no doubt but I feel if we get in a rut, we'll just end up floating around the table in the position we are now.

PS. Remember Roeder's initial goal for this season is to get more points than we did last season. If we get another 25 points from the next 19 games, he'll be 7 short. That fact in itself is important for all of us to consider when judging Roeder and what he has done/not-done for the team.

Pretty much agreed. I think it's very unlikely we'd have seen Solano at RB had Carr been fit, and I see no way in the world that Roeder would have dropped Parker and used Butt and Emre in the middle. It will be interesting to see what happens as certain players get back to fitness because I see potential here for a similar situation to the one when Souness didn't have the balls to select just 2 from Kluivert, Bellamy and Shearer. Parker should not be an automatic choice under any circumstances imo and I'm concerned Roeder doesn't have the balls to make these type of decisions.

blueyes.gif

Injuries have so far forced his hand but can he drop Parker like Mourinho dropped Shevchenko, like Ferguson dropped Van Nistelrooy etc. etc.?

I doubt it. Which is a problem.

I also agree with you that it's highly unlikely we'd have seen Taylor and Ramage as a pairing at CB had it not been forced on Roeder. To be fair to Roeder on that one I wouldn't have done that myself on the evidence of what I'd seen before the current good run. Obviously Roeder sees them all on a daily basis so it would have been great had he seen the potential for this partnership and had the balls to have used it by choice, we'd all be saying different things about Roeder had that been the case given the way they're performing as a pairing.

I'm wondering if it's just bottle that he seems to lack. For example that defensive formation against Chelsea last week. I really think we should have gone 4-4-2 and tried to win that match, but Roeder appears to be a bit frightened tbh.

I agree with both of you, It's going to take a lot more than a run of a dozen or so games and a better league position than 11th for me to think he's good enough for us.

The two things thats turned us around are Martins goals and having Dyer back from injury.

The clouds parted, a magical light shone through and the greatest post of '06 happened.  Well done, Lloydie. 

Roeder has not done too well when he's had to make decisions, he usually gets them wrong.  Wait until some of the injured players start to return and he then plays them instead of the players who are performing for him now.  Carr and Duff might just walk straight back into the team.  4-5-1 is a shite formation and we even play a negative formation like that at home when we should be going for the opposition instead of allowing them to come at us.  I think this thread is knee jerk although if things carry on then I might change my mind.

If people want to forget some of the shite we've witnessed this season then fair enough, I'll not rush to forget it yet.  Souness was said to have the players on his side while manager, I think most people reliase that it didn't make any difference even if he did.  Souness also went on mini runs where he would guide us to a few wins then we'd struggle for a few and win a few.  To say Roeder has turned the corner is very short sighted at this time and those who say he has could end up looking a bit daft.  Fulham, Charlton, Sheffield and Man U should be reminders of some of the shite a few seem to be forgetting, we lost against Man U before kicking a ball.

I hope those who think we've turned a corner are right but it's far too early to say one way or the other, knowing our luck we'll be back to square one before we know it.

The defenders we have in place at the minute are only in those positions because others have been injured, I doubt the defence we played against Spurs would have played if it wasn't for players getting injured.  Roeder appears to have his blue eyed boys who are picked when fit, regardless of how they play, Duff being the best example, Carr being picked while shite is another.

Credit where it is due . You cannot fault the improvement of late , but it is only a few weeks since we looked a relegation side.

The true test will be performances against the likes of Man U and even Bolton and Everton away from home.Spurs seem to have been our rabbits for most of the last 10 years, yet I can remember when we could never beat them no matter how well we were playing.

Another gauge will be the type of players signed in Jan - there have been links with Bailes & Barnes, both look quality young home-raised prospects.We would probably have to fight off Arsenal for at least one of them, so if Roeder succeeds there, he's definitely making real progress.

My judgement waits until the end of the season - and NOT just in terms of any Silverware !

I think Knightrider has it right in the title ' the Right man for THIS Newcastle United...'

I think Roeder's faith in Taylor, Ramage and Huntington could bode well in the minds of Bailes and Barnes.  Coming

to a club like ours will see them playing a part and catch the eye of the England U 21's.  I think what's gone unoticed

is Roeder's ability to develop younger players.  No matter how shit things were at West Ham during his tenure, look

at the players he had under him and where they are now.  (Nowt all of them, mind, but you know the stars I'm talking about)

Ramage and Huntington are only getting games because of injury, Taylor is the same to a lesser extent.

Roeders preferred defence appeared to be Carr, Moore, Bramble and Babayaro before we had injuries, none of those would be in the four I would select.

The clouds parted, a magical light shone through and the greatest post of '06 happened. Well done, Lloydie.

Nah~~ I still want Hitzfeld.  :winking:

Having said that - well done GR for the win on Saturday.  :thup: Very happy with the result and I'll give credit where it's due. We have the same points as Villa.  Keep those results comin till the end of season and then graciously step aside for a manager who will lead us to the top of the Premiership and Europe. (Trust me GR, everyone'll have good memories of u then)

Guest Knightrider

Admittedly a lot of the positive changes have been forced on Roeder and indeed it will be interesting to see how we fare with all our so-called big players back, but Roeder is charged with sending that team out to win games and he can't be faulted on that front. Given our young and inexperienced back-four with two players playing out of position, the unbalanced midfield and the mismatched strikeforce, to pick up results with that team, shows a lot of good where Roeder is concerned. Under Souness after a few bad results the team would capitualte further but Roeder has galvanised the team, instilled confidence and gotten the very best out of what is available to him, not only as a team but individually too.

In the process he has shown a huge degree of motivational skills, organisational skills and intelligence - key attributes needed to manage well. Things I questioned him for. Of course he has a few flaws and lets not forget some of the awful performances and results nor Roeder's own failings but when it comes to working well with what you have, Roeder is proving quite adept at it and that bodes well for him and us as a team.

I'm impressed with the level of confidence, spirit and leadership the youngsters take to the field with - that can only come from the manager. I'm impressed with the togetherness in the camp - again that can only come from the manager. I'm impressed with the improvements in Butt, Parker, Martins and others. I'm impressed with our mini run which has came unexpectedly and on the back of a injury nightmare that lets be honest here, not many could cope with/

Therefore I think he not only deserves credit but also some slack. I've seen every team this season and we are as strong as any outside of the top 5 teams who currently sit in 1-to-5th. Roeder is also on a par with any manager outside of those managing the top 5 placed teams so you would think he could build a team capable of finishing in the top 6 for a number of seasons and that is more than good enough for us at this present time of transition, rebuilding and uncertainty (takeover etc.).

Of course if we could get in a better manager we should take that option but it isn't as easy as that and for once, I think we should be patient and less demanding/expectant of the club until we have the players, experience and skills to get back to the level we once were under SBR. In order to get there someone has to make the changes to make that happen and that will take time and aye, some falls.

In short, as the title of the thread says... Roeder is the best man for that job, for this NUFC - a broken club looking to recover from a good few years of mismanagement.

IMO.

I think some fans still live in a world where they expect us to go from the state Souness left us in to straight back to the top five. There's nothing wrong with ambition but we shouldn't try to run before we can walk. Roeder is still steadying the ship as far as I'm concerned. Gone (for the moment) are the days of expecting us to beat all the teams bar Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal. Even when we were at our best we'd often lose a game we were expected to win. Roeder seems to have the right ideas for the club e.g. sort out the academy, stop wasting fortunes on signing unresearched players (and giving them long contracts), get the scouting network sorted out, etc. In the past NUFC have always seemed to be about the quick, short term fix rather than the long term approach.

Roeder may not be the best tactician in the world but he wants to do his best for the club. The injuries we have had this season have been unbelievable. I think the difference a fit Owen would have made this season would have been massive. As for the dealings in the Summer transfer window, unless you work high up at NUFC you can never really know what went on.

I think some fans still live in a world where they expect us to go from the state Souness left us in to straight back to the top five. There's nothing wrong with ambition but we shouldn't try to run before we can walk. Roeder is still steadying the ship as far as I'm concerned. Gone (for the moment) are the days of expecting us to beat all the teams bar Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal. Even when we were at our best we'd often lose a game we were expected to win. Roeder seems to have the right ideas for the club e.g. sort out the academy, stop wasting fortunes on signing unresearched players (and giving them long contracts), get the scouting network sorted out, etc. In the past NUFC have always seemed to be about the quick, short term fix rather than the long term approach.

Roeder may not be the best tactician in the world but he wants to do his best for the club. The injuries we have had this season have been unbelievable. I think the difference a fit Owen would have made this season would have been massive. As for the dealings in the Summer transfer window, unless you work high up at NUFC you can never really know what went on.

Roeder said something negative about the academy when taking over as manager, something along the lines of not having anybody who would come through and play for the first team, or words to that effect.

As for him stopping wasting fortunes on signing unresearched players, I doubt he did much research into the players we brought in during the last transfer window, three of them seemed to be last minute panics.  Duff didn't require researching, Martins, I don't know, I'm not sure how much or how little Roeder knew about him.

When he did spend time researching he had the player nicked from his grasp by Liverpool while he was still scouting him.  That's the only time I can think of Roeder spending time looking at a player unless he was following Man U, Man City and Rangers reserves.  Of course he could have spent all of his free time watching youtube videos as long as it wasn't World Cup action as he said he wouldn't be watching players at the World Cup, again, or words to that effect.

We're 9 points behind 6th place, 10 behind 4th place atm. This gap needs to be cut down to 4-6 points by the end of January. By my reckoning, that gives him approximately 7 league games to do this. Considering the fact that the next 3 are extremely difficult, we'll need him to get on another run right after the match against Spurs if we're to mount another charge. If he can't do this, then obviously he's not right for the club. If he can, consider me a believer.

Roeder said something negative about the academy when taking over as manager, something along the lines of not having anybody who would come through and play for the first team, or words to that effect.

As for him stopping wasting fortunes on signing unresearched players, I doubt he did much research into the players we brought in during the last transfer window, three of them seemed to be last minute panics. Duff didn't require researching, Martins, I don't know, I'm not sure how much or how little Roeder knew about him.

When he did spend time researching he had the player nicked from his grasp by Liverpool while he was still scouting him. That's the only time I can think of Roeder spending time looking at a player unless he was following Man U, Man City and Rangers reserves. Of course he could have spent all of his free time watching youtube videos as long as it wasn't World Cup action as he said he wouldn't be watching players at the World Cup, again, or words to that effect.

"I doubt he did much research into the players we brought in during the last transfer window"

You doubt but you don't know and neither do I. Most of what you have said about Roeder is based on heresay not fact. For example, there were rumours that Martins wasn't Roeder's first choice. There were also rumours that Martins was Shepherd's choice. Roeder has said Martins was his first choice. Who do we believe? 99% of what the media say is going to happen with transfers never happen. We only know for sure about the transfers that happened. We have no idea who else we were really after. Players could have been turned down due to what the research turned up. Just because the media say the manager is watching a certain player it doesn't mean for a fact they were. They could have been watching someone else.

As for him stopping wasting fortunes on signing unresearched players, I doubt he did much research into the players we brought in during the last transfer window, three of them seemed to be last minute panics. Duff didn't require researching, Martins, I don't know, I'm not sure how much or how little Roeder knew about him.

When he did spend time researching he had the player nicked from his grasp by Liverpool while he was still scouting him. That's the only time I can think of Roeder spending time looking at a player unless he was following Man U, Man City and Rangers reserves. Of course he could have spent all of his free time watching youtube videos as long as it wasn't World Cup action as he said he wouldn't be watching players at the World Cup, again, or words to that effect.

"I doubt he did much research into the players we brought in during the last transfer window"

You doubt but you don't know and neither do I. Most of what you have said about Roeder is based on heresay not fact. For example, there were rumours that Martins wasn't Roeder's first choice. There were also rumours that Martins was Shepherd's choice. Roeder has said Martins was his first choice. Who do we believe? 99% of what the media say is going to happen with transfers never happen. We only know for sure about the transfers that happened. We have no idea who else we were really after. Players could have been turned down due to what the research turned up. Just because the media say the manager is watching a certain player it doesn't mean for a fact they were. They could have been watching someone else.

Roeder said he wanted Martins and the club was linked to him for a while before he signed. Don't expect thickmick to take that on board, or expect him to take a realistic view of how transfers are conducted in the real world. He still thinks we are no better than when we spent years in the old 2nd division and selling our best players when we did get promoted.

Martins not being first choice is based on him (Roeder) scouting Kuyt for so long, we were supposedly watching Kuyt last April and sent David Mills to watch him.  Both Roeder and Shepherd were talking about Kuyt from April onwards, they both said we were watching Kuyt and were interested in him, Roeder was supposedly on his way to see him the day Kuyt signed for Liverpool.  I think it's fairly safe to say that Martins wasn't even on the radar at that time.

Guest Gemmill

We're 11th in the League and scraping results against the likes of Watford at home tbh.  You'll not see me fawning over Roeder any time soon.  Long way to go to prove that we've turned any sort of corner.

Roeder said he wanted Martins and the club was linked to him for a while before he signed. Don't expect thickmick to take that on board, or expect him to take a realistic view of how transfers are conducted in the real world. He still thinks we are no better than when we spent years in the old 2nd division and selling our best players when we did get promoted.

bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

The club wasn't linked to Martins until August of this year when he handed in a transfer request after Inter singed a couple of forwards, Shepherd and Roeder both started talking about Kuyt being on interest in April, work it out yourself if that's possible.

Knightrider, question.

Just so i know i'm on the right or wrong end of the stick... is your post, in a nutshell saying:

"I like Roeder, he's a decent manager who will get us in a decent position, for someone to then take over and take us to the next level."

Is that what you're saying? Because if that's what you're saying, i'm inclined to agree. Wholeheartedly.

I'm not saying Roeder is a world beater or anything but I do think the job he is doing isn't bad considering the situation NUFC are in (recovering from the Souness damage and a massive injury problem). Like the thread title says Roeder is right for the current Newcastle (which isn't the old one that used to challenge for the title or Champions League qualification). Just because we were watching Kuyt didn't mean that he would have wanted to sign for us anyway. Liverpool were supposedly his dream club. Maybe Kuyt was the back up plan if the Martins deal didn't come off? As I said before, unless you are high up at NUFC you have no idea when they first started making enquiries about certain players. Who are we after in the next transfer window? I bet we sign a couple of players no one (including the press) know we are after until just before the deal is completed. Using words like "supposedly" and saying the club weren't 'linked' to players doesn't make a good argument. Being linked to players in the media is no measure of fact.

We're 11th in the League and scraping results against the likes of Watford at home tbh.  You'll not see me fawning over Roeder any time soon.  Long way to go to prove that we've turned any sort of corner.

What we're seeing in this thread, from some, is an inverse knee-jerk with a twist.  Difficulty of 3.2 under current circumstance, and overall execution has rated a 6.

bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

The club wasn't linked to Martins until August of this year when he handed in a transfer request after Inter singed a couple of forwards, Shepherd and Roeder both started talking about Kuyt being on interest in April, work it out yourself if that's possible.

the conclusion being that they changed their target ? Or kuyt preferred Liverpool ? So what ? Duff preferred Newcastle. Thickmick will tell you that when we had a board just the same as this one, we had a locally born England player on our books who left newcastle for Liverpool ....... and a left back too for good measure

:lol: :lol: :lol:

loveitifwebeatu has spelled out how transfers are conducted and how the market works in the real world.

I echo the sentiments from someone on the 1st page of this topic, I was quick enough to jump on Roeder when things were going pear shaped, but now that we are doing ok he deserves some credit.

This transfer window will be a big challenge for him, because the knives will be out quickly if he cocks this one up like he did last summer. We need to move quickly and I would like to think targets and the clubs have been sounded out early. When it comes to sales, I think we should only sell when someone is bought, for example Bramble, he has been linked with Fulham, only sell when/if we get another defender in. We have a threadbare squad, therefore cannot afford to sell players without replacements, with the exeption of Luque who I think we have more than enough cover for, then again we would be woefully short as Rossi is leaving as well, so no the same applies to Luque, 1 in 1 out!

Come on Glenn keep this up and make the correct decisions this transfer window.