Roeder IS the right man for THIS Newcastle United

Guest Knightrider

Just seen the thread - and there are three or four VERY long posts that i genuinely just can't be bothered to go through. I'll probably read the first couple later on. But i'll give my opinion of Roeder, in a nutshell.

Didn't like the appointment, and still don't - we should have appointed someone far better, someone qualified at the very least. You could say that that's not Roeder's fault, but he should have stood by what he said in the first place and turn down the permanent managers job, and left Newcastle as a hero. Instead, he's likely to leave having achieved a couple of h

alf decent mid-table finishes, and nowt much else. I didn't buy the 'he earnt it' theory - that was a lame cover up cos we just couldn't afford anyone else, or no one wanted it. He's an average-to-bad manager who'll do nowt with us.

Of course, i'm hoping i'm totally wrong, but being completely honest - that's just what i think.

In regards to the short term, i'm not calling for his head - i think he should be given until the end of the transfer window, and probably till the end of the season at the very least. Give him a year in the job minimum, like i said with Souness aswell. I'd love to see him do well. But another shocking transfer window, and an 11th-17th place will have me posing some very strong questions.

Preparing for the future with another managerial change...?

Maybe you should read the fucking post, deconstruct, and challenge things with facts and figures, instead of getting your fucking crystal ball out, and giving a manager 'to the end of the transfer window'.

Truly the words of someone that doesn't have a fucking clue, tbh. Honestly, I don't understand what you want from the team at the moment, even despite our current mediocre position, I'm ten times as happy as this time last year, and so should every other fucker. We're a club on the up, but it's going to take time, quite a number of years, at least.

Not suggesting you ever thought this, but do you think Roeder is the man to take us forward?

We're a club on the up, but it's going to take time, quite a number of years, at least.

I remember roeder saying how he expected us to be in the champions league within 5 years, and how it was going to take time.  People really need to start being patient and less knee-jerk (big request for a lot of people on here because i used to get lots of shit for not screaming my ass off about us being relegated, and that wasn't too long ago).

Just seen the thread - and there are three or four VERY long posts that i genuinely just can't be bothered to go through. I'll probably read the first couple later on. But i'll give my opinion of Roeder, in a nutshell.

Didn't like the appointment, and still don't - we should have appointed someone far better, someone qualified at the very least. You could say that that's not Roeder's fault, but he should have stood by what he said in the first place and turn down the permanent managers job, and left Newcastle as a hero. Instead, he's likely to leave having achieved a couple of h

alf decent mid-table finishes, and nowt much else. I didn't buy the 'he earnt it' theory - that was a lame cover up cos we just couldn't afford anyone else, or no one wanted it. He's an average-to-bad manager who'll do nowt with us.

Of course, i'm hoping i'm totally wrong, but being completely honest - that's just what i think.

In regards to the short term, i'm not calling for his head - i think he should be given until the end of the transfer window, and probably till the end of the season at the very least. Give him a year in the job minimum, like i said with Souness aswell. I'd love to see him do well. But another shocking transfer window, and an 11th-17th place will have me posing some very strong questions.

Preparing for the future with another managerial change...? Didn't say that. Said i wanted him in the job for a year at the very least.

Maybe you should read the f***ing post, deconstruct, and challenge things with facts and figures, I said i wasn't going to do that, i don't have the time to at the moment. I'll read it later... like i said - i set out with the intention of giving my opinion on Roeder.

instead of getting your f***ing crystal ball out, and giving a manager 'to the end of the transfer window'. Bored of you saying that... i'm predicting - not telling. I said words like "i think" which i thought would have made that clear, obviousy not.

Truly the words of someone that doesn't have a f***ing clue, tbh. Honestly, I don't understand what you want from the team at the moment, even despite our current mediocre position, I'm ten times as happy as this time last year, You're saying i'm not? The very mediocre position (considering the team and the fixtures we had at the start of the season) is irrelivent really, i was giving my opinion on the manager.  

We're a club on the up, but it's going to take time, quite a number of years, at least. Aye, but again - if you read my post, i said if we finish 11th-17th, i'd be posing questions then. We wouldn't be on the up then, would we? We'd have dropped down four places atleast...

I said i didn't read the post. I just gave my opinion on Roeder. I should have made that more clear. You should read my post...

"f***ing."

Guest TheOrder

Maybe you should read the f***ing post, deconstruct, and challenge things with facts and figures, instead of getting your f***ing crystal ball out, and giving a manager 'to the end of the transfer window'.

Truly the words of someone that doesn't have a f***ing clue, tbh. Honestly, I don't understand what you want from the team at the moment, even despite our current mediocre position, I'm ten times as happy as this time last year, and so should every other fucker. We're a club on the up, but it's going to take time, quite a number of years, at least.

I said i didn't read the post. I just gave my opinion on Roeder. I should have made that more clear. You should read my post... i never said i wanted a managerial change. I said he should be given a year at the very least.

"f***ing."

I did read your post, I was telling you to read the fucking post, before you respond to it.

Guest TheOrder

NorthernRocker, i edited my post - just take a look cos my reply to your dross is now slightly more indepth. :thup:

You read the thread yet mate?

Only poster on the forum that replies to a thread before reading it :D

Maybe you should read the f***ing post, deconstruct, and challenge things with facts and figures, instead of getting your f***ing crystal ball out, and giving a manager 'to the end of the transfer window'.

Truly the words of someone that doesn't have a f***ing clue, tbh. Honestly, I don't understand what you want from the team at the moment, even despite our current mediocre position, I'm ten times as happy as this time last year, and so should every other fucker. We're a club on the up, but it's going to take time, quite a number of years, at least.

Exactly. Well said. On another note...

Fuck me. This place is full of ungrateful bastards sometimes.

Did anyone look at the shit Souness put us in?

Nearly £50m thrown away. A squad pulled limb from limb. Players lacking confidence not helped by a man who thinks man management is critisizing them or using them as a "joke".

Roeder has come in and along with Pearson has turned things around. I am delighted by the team spirit, the drive, players look like they give a crap and things look on the up.

Amazing how we started to look a better side when the injuries subsided. Jesus, take 14 players out of a Bolton or Everton and I doubt they would do much better than us. Our defensive record despite these injuries is so much better than previous years.

I admit, the transfer window was *not* his best achievement. He ingnored some aspects of the teams weakness. But Duff for £5m was a steal. Think about it. Yes we had the Zog, but being offered a proven and highly rated winger for so cheap? I'm sure many other managers would do the same. Just need to let him get properly fit. How anyone can critisize Oba it is beyond me. He is so dangerous and  we will struggle to keep hold of him at this rate. Do I even need to mention le Sib? Just dig up the old thread and see how wrong we all were.

Roeder has taken players who under Souness were average individuals and now brought them together to form a good team with fight and spirit. He has improved Taylor, Rammage and Oba as players in the little time he has had with them. He lets players fully recover from injuries before throwing them back in too soon. He is not scared to play a youngster. He shows faith in his players and in turn they show faith in him. I really like the guy he is honest and open and never bitches unlike souness. 

Didn't like the appointment, and still don't - we should have appointed someone far better, someone qualified at the very least.

we have appointed "highly qualified" people. Despite what people say. But don;t let the facts stand in the way of churning out some good old cliches

NorthernRocker, i edited my post - just take a look cos my reply to your dross is now slightly more indepth. :thup:

You read the thread yet mate?

Not yet... doing Christmas Evey things. ;-)

I probably should have started my own topic in all fairness, because my post may or may not be relevant to Knightrider's initial one. I wouldn't know cos i'm a lazy bastard. I just gave an honest opinion on Roeder, with my mind purely focused on the long term. And that's kind of directed in Leeds Magpie way aswell, i'm not being ungrateful in the slightest - he did a magnificent job last season. And like i said - he should have finished at the end of last season and left as a hero.

As far as the league goes this season, he's only taken us to a position slightly better than under Souness. And that is a fact, NorthernRocker. ;-)

And btw - this is a great board, but it's a shame how everyone has to use over-the-top expletives and name-calling, every time someone shares a different opinion to their's. Was there really any need to call me an 'ungrateful bastard', especially when it is far from the case?

i really don't think any domestic managers can really make us a 'top club', but roeder can get us into a position where we could attract a top-class manager who actually could take us to the next level.

Credit where it is due . You cannot fault the improvement of late , but it is only a few weeks since we looked a relegation side.

The true test will be performances against the likes of Man U and even Bolton and Everton away from home.Spurs seem to have been our rabbits for most of the last 10 years, yet I can remember when we could never beat them no matter how well we were playing.

Another gauge will be the type of players signed in Jan - there have been links with Bailes & Barnes, both look quality young home-raised prospects.We would probably have to fight off Arsenal for at least one of them, so if Roeder succeeds there, he's definitely making real progress.

My judgement waits until the end of the season - and NOT just in terms of any Silverware !

I think Knightrider has it right in the title ' the Right man for THIS Newcastle United...'

As a follow-up to my posting, I have to add that Pearson seems to be doing a great job with the defenders, esp the young players. I was very sceptical when he was appointed, given his links with 'Captain Lager',

but there is no disputing the improvement which is there for all to see.

If this continues, I am prepared to admit being wrong, and give him much of the credit for the all-round team improvement. You will never have a great team unless you have a solid defence - even Clough, a former CF always built his teams from the back, so Pearson may turn out to be more important to our future

than Roeder...

Credit where it is due . You cannot fault the improvement of late , but it is only a few weeks since we looked a relegation side.

The true test will be performances against the likes of Man U and even Bolton and Everton away from home.Spurs seem to have been our rabbits for most of the last 10 years, yet I can remember when we could never beat them no matter how well we were playing.

Another gauge will be the type of players signed in Jan - there have been links with Bailes & Barnes, both look quality young home-raised prospects.We would probably have to fight off Arsenal for at least one of them, so if Roeder succeeds there, he's definitely making real progress.

My judgement waits until the end of the season - and NOT just in terms of any Silverware !

I think Knightrider has it right in the title ' the Right man for THIS Newcastle United...'

I think Roeder's faith in Taylor, Ramage and Huntington could bode well in the minds of Bailes and Barnes.  Coming

to a club like ours will see them playing a part and catch the eye of the England U 21's.  I think what's gone unoticed

is Roeder's ability to develop younger players.  No matter how shit things were at West Ham during his tenure, look

at the players he had under him and where they are now.  (Nowt all of them, mind, but you know the stars I'm talking about)

Alright, here's my opinion on Roeder after reading the whole thread..

He's decent, but the fact is that he got us into this position (11th). After the spectacular finish to last season, he failed to significantly strengthen the team (in the right positions) and thus, was the main reason we struggled early on. Tbh, injuries have actually helped him because it has forced him to try something different and thus, now we're seeing Nobby at RB etc. etc. Would he have tried this if Carr wasn't injured? I really don't know and that bothers me somewhat. Would he have played Sibierski, who gives us better movement and decent link-up play, instead of Ameobi? Would he have eventually tried putting Ramage and Taylor in the center together? Would he have the nerve to drop Parker and put Butt and Emre in the center? Again, I don't know. I'm fucking delighted at the recent upturn of fortune but will reserve my judgment until after the next 4 crucial games. He's done well recently, but that was preceded by some awfully poor performances and an extremely disjointed team. We had no passion, couldn't create any chances. We were just shit. That start to the season bothers me because he (and/or Fred) fucked up the transfer window, which lead to the shit start to the season.

That's why these next 4 games are extremely crucial. Three tough away games, which will absolutely shape the way our the season goes from here. If we do well and pick up a few points, we'll push on and get a European place no doubt but I feel if we get in a rut, we'll just end up floating around the table in the position we are now.

PS. Remember Roeder's initial goal for this season is to get more points than we did last season. If we get another 25 points from the next 19 games, he'll be 7 short. That fact in itself is important for all of us to consider when judging Roeder and what he has done/not-done for the team.

A couple more things..

Even though we all know actions are more important than words, some of the things that Roeder says can be extremely contradictory. He should just talk less. If he didn't talk so much during the transfer window, I'm sure most of the fans would understand how we ended with Sibierski in the end (not that I'm complaining :)) but because he kept on yapping about '3 signings this week' etc. etc. it created immense frustration when we ended up with a washed-up defender and a Man City reserve.

Furthermore, when he says things like he won't play anyone who isn't 100% fit then after every game that Shola plays, he says 'he's playing with an injury, he's a brave lad who cares about the club' etc. That is seriously annoying. Some of the things he says are in fact things that I'd like to hear a manager say, such as 'injuries aren't an excuse', but there are so many other things that he says, which he shouldn't at all.

Guest TheOrder

A couple more things..

Even though we all know actions are more important than words, some of the things that Roeder says can be extremely contradictory. He should just talk less. If he didn't talk so much during the transfer window, I'm sure most of the fans would understand how we ended with Sibierski in the end (not that I'm complaining :)) but because he kept on yapping about '3 signings this week' etc. etc. it created immense frustration when we ended up with a washed-up defender and a Man City reserve.

Furthermore, when he says things like he won't play anyone who isn't 100% fit then after every game that Shola plays, he says 'he's playing with an injury, he's a brave lad who cares about the club' etc. That is seriously annoying. Some of the things he says are in fact things that I'd like to hear a manager say, such as 'injuries aren't an excuse', but there are so many other things that he says, which he shouldn't at all.

Maybe the thought they were in the bag, but something came up?

A couple more things..

Maybe the thought they were in the bag, but something came up?

Still shouldn't have said anything because obviously it wasn't as 'in the bag' as they thought it was. Wenger, Benitez, Fergie and Mourinho rarely comment on players they are interested in signing, and it's worked fine for them. Sir Bob was another astute manager who rarely commented on players about to be signed. I remember the Viana signing totally coming out of left-field. This is the kind of approach I would prefer Roeder to adopt. Not commenting = not creating expectations. Look what expectations lead to in the last window.

Lastly, Roeder's substitutions and formations for certain games are still extremely baffling ie. leaving Shola up front alone against Manyoo away, making substitutions in the last 5 mins of the game when we're down etc. etc. He needs to react quicker and definitely be more decisive. We'll lose points if he continues to stick with the same team/formation that isn't working for 80 minutes. This applies to his formation for games as well. Certainly this is related to my earlier point that he doesn't make changes to the team for some reason and he's gotten lucky because the injuries we've suffered has basically forced him to make certain changes and they've worked.

He's decent, but the fact is that he got us into this position (11th). After the spectacular finish to last season, he failed to significantly strengthen the team (in the right positions) and thus, was the main reason we struggled early on. Tbh, injuries have actually helped him because it has forced him to try something different and thus, now we're seeing Nobby at RB etc. etc. Would he have tried this if Carr wasn't injured? I really don't know and that bothers me somewhat. Would he have played Sibierski, who gives us better movement and decent link-up play, instead of Ameobi? Would he have eventually tried putting Ramage and Taylor in the center together? Would he have the nerve to drop Parker and put Butt and Emre in the center? Again, I don't know. I'm f***ing delighted at the recent upturn of fortune but will reserve my judgment until after the next 4 crucial games. He's done well recently, but that was preceded by some awfully poor performances and an extremely disjointed team. We had no passion, couldn't create any chances. We were just shit. That start to the season bothers me because he (and/or Fred) fucked up the transfer window, which lead to the shit start to the season.

That's why these next 4 games are extremely crucial. Three tough away games, which will absolutely shape the way our the season goes from here. If we do well and pick up a few points, we'll push on and get a European place no doubt but I feel if we get in a rut, we'll just end up floating around the table in the position we are now.

PS. Remember Roeder's initial goal for this season is to get more points than we did last season. If we get another 25 points from the next 19 games, he'll be 7 short. That fact in itself is important for all of us to consider when judging Roeder and what he has done/not-done for the team.

Pretty much agreed. I think it's very unlikely we'd have seen Solano at RB had Carr been fit, and I see no way in the world that Roeder would have dropped Parker and used Butt and Emre in the middle. It will be interesting to see what happens as certain players get back to fitness because I see potential here for a similar situation to the one when Souness didn't have the balls to select just 2 from Kluivert, Bellamy and Shearer. Parker should not be an automatic choice under any circumstances imo and I'm concerned Roeder doesn't have the balls to make these type of decisions.

He's decent, but the fact is that he got us into this position (11th). After the spectacular finish to last season, he failed to significantly strengthen the team (in the right positions) and thus, was the main reason we struggled early on. Tbh, injuries have actually helped him because it has forced him to try something different and thus, now we're seeing Nobby at RB etc. etc. Would he have tried this if Carr wasn't injured? I really don't know and that bothers me somewhat. Would he have played Sibierski, who gives us better movement and decent link-up play, instead of Ameobi? Would he have eventually tried putting Ramage and Taylor in the center together? Would he have the nerve to drop Parker and put Butt and Emre in the center? Again, I don't know. I'm f***ing delighted at the recent upturn of fortune but will reserve my judgment until after the next 4 crucial games. He's done well recently, but that was preceded by some awfully poor performances and an extremely disjointed team. We had no passion, couldn't create any chances. We were just shit. That start to the season bothers me because he (and/or Fred) fucked up the transfer window, which lead to the shit start to the season.

Pretty much agreed. I think it's very unlikely we'd have seen Solano at RB had Carr been fit, and I see no way in the world that Roeder would have dropped Parker and used Butt and Emre in the middle. It will be interesting to see what happens as certain players get back to fitness because I see potential here for a similar situation to the one when Souness didn't have the balls to select just 2 from Kluivert, Bellamy and Shearer. Parker should not be an automatic choice under any circumstances imo and I'm concerned Roeder doesn't have the balls to make these type of decisions.

blueyes.gif

Injuries have so far forced his hand but can he drop Parker like Mourinho dropped Shevchenko, like Ferguson dropped Van Nistelrooy etc. etc.?

blueyes.gif

Injuries have so far forced his hand but can he drop Parker like Mourinho dropped Shevchenko, like Ferguson dropped Van Nistelrooy etc. etc.?

I doubt it. Which is a problem.

I also agree with you that it's highly unlikely we'd have seen Taylor and Ramage as a pairing at CB had it not been forced on Roeder. To be fair to Roeder on that one I wouldn't have done that myself on the evidence of what I'd seen before the current good run. Obviously Roeder sees them all on a daily basis so it would have been great had he seen the potential for this partnership and had the balls to have used it by choice, we'd all be saying different things about Roeder had that been the case given the way they're performing as a pairing.

I'm wondering if it's just bottle that he seems to lack. For example that defensive formation against Chelsea last week. I really think we should have gone 4-4-2 and tried to win that match, but Roeder appears to be a bit frightened tbh.

To be honest I can't think of anywhere in that post that I didnt agree with. Credit where credit is due, if Roeder is going to get all the shit he had when we were doing bad, I think its only fair that the praise comes with it for how he's turned us around. Good post.

Agreed.

I'm yet to be convinced, but we do seem to be heading in the right direction at last.

And with young lads - and Newcastle supporters too - as the backbone of defence, that has to be encouraging.

I never wanted to criticize Roeder, as his heart is in the job, and not in the money he is wrangling out of us like many in the past.

Keegan's heart was in the job, SBR's was and hopefully Glenn can take it that one step further.