Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

37 minutes ago, Froggy said:

What has he said that's wrong though? :lol: He's not in any way saying Howe should be subject to a media pile on and neither am I as he's done an incredible job, but the abuse Ten Hag gets is mental given what he's achieved at Man United so far.

The guy literally has the best win ratio in our history and won us our first trophy in 6 years while finishing third in his first season and is being treated by opposition fans like he's some sort of clueless idiot. :lol: It's all a bit mental.

He is trying to suggest, with seemingly no irony, that it is an achievement that last year Man U finished above a Newcastle side that was battling relegation in the previous season. It's an absolutely insane/deluded take.

13 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Yes, extremely poor form against the better sides away from home.  Do you give up on a manager for this reason 1.5 seasons in, when he has delivered 3rd place and a trophy? Not for me.

He's slowly weeding out the lazy, overpaid players. Let him have his rebuild and back the manager. If it fails, we're not worse than where we were before and we go again.

There was a debate on here about being patient/impatient with managers. Calling for a managers head after 18 months is madness, especially with what he delivered in the first 12.

Weeding out the lazy overpaid players while bringing in Mason Mount and Antony ffs [emoji38]

15 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Yes, extremely poor form against the better sides away from home.  Do you give up on a manager for this reason 1.5 seasons in, when he has delivered 3rd place and a trophy? Not for me.

He's slowly weeding out the lazy, overpaid players. Let him have his rebuild and back the manager. If it fails, we're not worse than where we were before and we go again.

There was a debate on here about being patient/impatient with managers. Calling for a managers head after 18 months is madness, especially with what he delivered in the first 12.

I’d be donating towards a gold statue of him to be built on Northumberland Street if he’d achieved that here.  But it’s Man Utd, not Newcastle.  

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Isn't it because Man Utd usually look pretty bad? Results are one thing, performances and direction of travel are another. 

Admittedly I don't watch them every week.

We usually start games very well, and we've had a lot of really bad luck when it has come to games this season. For example, we were by far the better side against Spurs and Brighton, conceded and then were robbed with two major decisions. Instead of being able to dust down and go again, we have the same players we've had for years who's heads drop and down tools. The same players that threw numerous top class managers under the bus before.

I'd prefer Ten Hag to get the chance to build his own team. In another year or 18 months, if we're playing like we are now then of course I'd be looking for a change.

3 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

Weeding out the lazy overpaid players while bringing in Mason Mount and Antony ffs [emoji38]

Antony has been playing very well lately. Mount has been struggling with injuries. 

I personally think Antony is very average, but this isn't the point. He works hard, as does Mount. Their attitudes are right.

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’d be donating towards a gold statue of him to be built on Northumberland Street if he’d achieved that here.  But it’s Man Utd, not Newcastle.  

This is what a lot of our fans, and clearly opposition fans need to understand though. We're not Man United in the 90's and 00's. It's not the same club and it's not the same team.

Expectations need to be tempered.

5 minutes ago, Froggy said:

We usually start games very well, and we've had a lot of really bad luck when it has come to games this season. For example, we were by far the better side against Spurs and Brighton, conceded and then were robbed with two major decisions. Instead of being able to dust down and go again, we have the same players we've had for years who's heads drop and down tools. The same players that threw numerous top class managers under the bus before.

I'd prefer Ten Hag to get the chance to build his own team. In another year or 18 months, if we're playing like we are now then of course I'd be looking for a change.

Antony has been playing very well lately. Mount has been struggling with injuries. 

I personally think Antony is very average, but this isn't the point. He works hard, as does Mount. Their attitudes are right.

I defend our own players perhaps more than I should at times so I get where you're coming from, and I see they work hard. But overpaid is pretty much the definition of both of those players.

I was interested to hear you say Antony's been playing 'very well' given the result last weekend - I checked back and still zero goals or assists all season [emoji38]

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

This is what a lot of our fans, and clearly opposition fans need to understand though. We're not Man United in the 90's and 00's. It's not the same club and it's not the same team.

I think the likes of Roy Keane don't help with their "This isn't Burnley, this is Man Utd you're playing for here" bollocks like the club has a divine right to be at the top end of the league.

4 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Of all the people to come out with this. :lol:

You don’t even support our club. Your input about our club or me as a poster means absolutely nothing to me. 

This is a NUFC forum. Bad faith Man U fan opinions should be ignored. Especially in the Eddie Howe thread. 

Edited by The College Dropout

35 minutes ago, Froggy said:

He says Newcastle have way more resources, but this point is irrelevant anyway given FFP. You can't spend the way you want to yet.

Speaking to fans I know, no this isn't the case at all. Things need to improve, but most still back Ten Hag. There's a plethora of reasons why things have gone wrong this season. Despite all this, we are still in touch or ahead of teams considered to be our rivals this season.

Things aren't going to get any better soon, given the injuries. We're heading to Anfield on Sunday without Fernandes, Casemiro, Eriksen, Maguire, Shaw, Martinez, Lindelof, Mount, Malacia, Martial and Rashford. I'm not the biggest fan of some of these players, but we've literally zero options off the bench now.

Er, aye that's what I meant. Lovely typo from me there. [emoji38]

He might do a good job in the long run but you can't deny that his signings have been crap for the money spent.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

You don’t even support our club. Your input about our club or me as a poster means absolutely nothing to me. 

This is a NUFC forum. Bad faith Man U fan opinions should be ignored. Especially in the Eddie Howe thread. 

It's a football forum on the internet, not some fucking MI6 nuclear level shit we're discussing.

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

4 minutes ago, Froggy said:

It’s still Man Utd though.  Ron Atkinson was sacked when I was a kid after five successive top four finishes and two FA Cup wins because of a shaky start to a season.

And this was before Man Utd were the financial juggernaut they are today.  They still had the fourth highest turnover in world football last season (second highest in England) - 200m more than Arsenal.  He’s not battling against the odds. 

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I think most of the posters on here would probably prefer me to talk about Man United rather than the absolute tripe you posted on Wednesday night about your own club in the Champions League after they didn't make it through a group with PSG, Dortmund and Milan.

However, fair enough point about it being the Howe thread. I'm out. 

Ten Hag gets so much stick because he has spent a load of money on complete rubbish . Man United literally have the most expensive squad in the entire league and are nowhere near challenging the best teams , they have no game plan , way of playing or tactics at all. He also comes across as a complete knob the way he goes on, which dosnt help him either .

Edited by Geogaddi

4 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Ten Hag gets so much stick because he has spent a load of money on complete rubbish . Man United literally have the most expensive squad in the entire league and are nowhere near challenging the best teams , they have no game plan , way of playing or tactics at all. He also comes across as a complete knob the way he goes on, which dosnt help him either .

Nutshell.

Also Rashford being in the form of his life for a large chunk of last season played a huge part in Man United winning that cup and finishing 3rd. Now he's back to his usual lazy self and not carrying them anymore they have regressed. 

6 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I had no issue with the sale of Ginola.  We looked miles better playing a 4-3-3 that season.  The issue was what Dalglish did that summer.

Getting ‘dicked’ by Monaco - a Monaco side which contained Barthez, Henry, Petit, Scifo, Ikpeba, Sonny Anderson, et al - wasn’t shameful at all, and wasn’t surprising given that we had an injury crisis (yep, plenty previous there) so bad that at various points in the first leg we had Warren Barton playing centre forward.  This was the last season of the real European Cup, so the UEFA Cup was by far the strongest competition (and hardest to win).  

96/97 remains my favourite NUFC season for a number of reasons.  The football Dalglish’s side played (when we had a full roster) was some of the most exciting I’d seen.  We had two 4-3 games in a month - the same number as KK had in the previous three and a half years (yet somehow 4-3 is a KK style match).  We were 6th when Dalglish came in.  He lost his mind that summer.  

The Monaco results was inevitable - they were a very, very good side - in addition to those you mention they had Grimandi, Legwinski, Benarbia, Djetou - nearly every player was a full French International supported by a couple of Brazilians - and John Collins who to be fair was a fine and underrated midfielder - the only Jock who'd have got in England's squad at that time.

Given our lack of success and pretty turgid football bar a few years under Keegan (round 1) and Robson (2nd year) we've stuck by those Manager's we have respected and looked like they were trying to move the club forward. We've been quicker in recent years to turn on players who appear to be swinging the lead.

As has been pointed out the internet is not representative (imho) of the engaged fanbase.