Newcastle United Women - Champions and Promoted

toontownman

No, the wind is weird. Flag next to me hardly moving but you can see it affecting the ball (the wind, not the flag :lol:). Must just be infrequently gusty I guess.

Edited by OpenC

Aye, didn't deserve more imo. I wondered if there'd be a post defeat hangover but Forest been good so can't really object. Elson and McQuade should be starting for me, like

Edited by OpenC

14 minutes ago, TorchyTBB said:

The conditions aren't helping, but we are really poor.  Other than Boddy (who is a very good player) are we missing any other regular 1st team players?

Ferguson was getting a lot of time and is presumably injured; the rest are fairly settled although as I say Elson and McQuade should be starting for my money

9 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Had 3 very good chances at the end, but not to be. Probably going to have to win at Burnley now.

Forest playing Burnley next week at Forest, but could well need to win at Burnley. The striker is very slow and cumbersome also, she rarely impresses in the games I've seen. 

Edited by et tu brute

I would have kept Barker on, taken Galloway off and put the new lass up front, as she looked sharp. Stobbs was poor also, which is unusual for her to be fair. As mentioned massive match next week, when Forest play Burnley.

Edited by et tu brute

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

Forest playing Burnley next week at Forest, but could well need to win at Burnley. The striker is very slow and cumbersome also, she rarely impresses in the games I've seen. 

Yeah, both will have a few games where they can definitely drop points, we still have to play Wolves home and away, but defeats are massive when it's only a 22 game season and many of the fixtures will be routine wins for the clearly superior side.

Aye, Galloway does get a few goals, as you would expect from the main striker often playing against much poorer teams, but I know what you mean. It does feel like we could do better. They've brought 2 new strikers in, one likely to replace Ferguson who has a bad injury, but not sure if they'll be a case of coming in where they really should be at a higher level, as is the case with one or two they brought in over the summer.

4 minutes ago, pubteam said:

Are forest a professional team? They seemed to have lots of energy compared to our normal opposition.

Na, Newcastle are the only professional team in the third tier. I think I read Burnley have a few full time players in their squad (not sure how that would work though...), but not sure about Forest. Forest, Wolves, and Burnley were all clear at the top of the league last season, but none of them went up (evidently).

I wonder why this wasn't played at St James considering it's importance. It would have helped with the weather at least, also the pitch looks like it's a bit of a state from what I saw on YouTube.

8 minutes ago, pubteam said:

I wonder why this wasn't played at St James considering it's importance. It would have helped with the weather at least, also the pitch looks like it's a bit of a state from what I saw on YouTube.

I think they'd prefer a SJP match in late March / April and try and get like 30,000+ there rather than when it's potentially snowing / storms in mid January and maybe get like 12,000 if they are lucky, which would still be a great attendance for the league / level, but would look, and be, so much better in a pretty full looking stadium when far more fair weather fans would be interested.

Looking at past NUW matches at SJP, they seem to like planning 5 weeks in advance. We beat Forest in November (actually at the City Ground) and in early December their league record was P7 W4 L3, and were already 10 points behind us, plus we had also beat them 3-0 at home in the League Cup, so wouldn't have felt as much of a bigger game when in prepping and planning mode.

I really hope they have a match at SJP this season, and would be very disappointed if they didn't, but travelling from rural Northumberland, with an online stream available, I personally wouldn't have gone today had it have been at SJP.

The viewing public would get a better feel for it if the camera was on the pretty empty opposite stand where the VIPs and dignitaries sit. Shame they have it directly above all the actual fans so you can't see them - it gives the impression of there being nobody there since there are only a couple of dozen like me who prefer to stand on the barriers behind a goal.

On 21/01/2024 at 18:47, OpenC said:

The viewing public would get a better feel for it if the camera was on the pretty empty opposite stand where the VIPs and dignitaries sit. Shame they have it directly above all the actual fans so you can't see them - it gives the impression of there being nobody there since there are only a couple of dozen like me who prefer to stand on the barriers behind a goal.

This is something that was a long term problem in Scotland, where a lot of grounds would have one stand, but the camera position would be set up to take advantage of the height that the stand offers. After enough shouting about it for years, most places have now put in a scaffolding based platform to film from on the opposite side. It makes a huge visual difference to the presentation of the game.

Just watched the highlights from the weekend there, and I can't see how on Earth, the first Forest goal has been given. The player who scores is absolutely miles offside when the play is played. I can understand there may be some confusion because the ball has come back to her off the post, but when the other player hits the shot, not only is the girl who scores the rebound beyond the ball and last defender, she looks like she's beyond the keeper as well. Very poor officiating, it looks like.