Newcastle United Women

toontownman

3 minutes ago, Cclay said:

Which I'd make but I am disabled as well. Sadly, it's to do with movement or I'd make the journey. Even 100m is a chore. Am there in spirit, though, as I've been connected to the woman / children's game for decades. Enjoy it.

:thup: well I hope you can get up once or twice man, it's great to see it coming on how it is

1 minute ago, OpenC said:

I assume she's been injured, there was a post on Instagram pointing that way. 

New keeper is immense like, she's been brilliant.

Ah shame.

Moan is fantastic, major upgrade.

Do you know much about wages in this division? Are most of the teams paying the players?

On 30/11/2021 at 11:21, JonBez comesock said:

Stinking patter , clueless 

Having watched girls/womens football for the last 6 years , the standard is higher than most people appreciate 

I’ve watched hundreds of training sessions / games ….and some of the skill / technique is on par with mens.  

Obviously the mens game is much quicker and more physical (and better to watch) I fully agree.

However I have to admit watching some of the mens premier league games during covid (on the tv) with no crowds was abysmal (no tempo, poor standard) ….looked like Sunday league 

Same goes with the womens football on tv (when the crowds are super low) ..it makes the standard look poorer. 

I’ve been to a few of the womens international games and been at pitch level - standard is excellent and the crowd gives them an extra 10% 

Your post is very outdated (caveman - like)  and shows you haven’t a clue on the actual standard of womens football today.

Your post below that is also ‘lifting’ …about as funny as your morning breath 

Got to admit I find the standard pretty poor. His post could probably have been worded slightly better maybe. Also find the game is far less technical than mens football and the intensity, which is one of my favourite things about football isn't there.

I did get myself along to SJP a couple of years back to support the lasses against Barnsley I think it might have been, but I found the whole event rather dull and the skill level extremely poor and decided to leave at HT as I was bored.

At least I gave it a shot but it just wasn't my thing. Good to see 2/3k seem to be going along regularly to watch them though and if they are enjoying it, which they must be then good on them. Would be boring if we all liked the same things!

Newcastle men's team are frequently pretty poor with regard to intensity and technical play as well, to be fair :lol:

It's not for everyone, just like non league is not for everyone, or watching Sunderland, which is obviously fine :) that four year old post was fucking honking though

Edited by OpenC

2 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Newcastle men's team are frequently pretty poor with regard to intensity and technical play as well, to be fair :lol:

It's not for everyone, just like non league is not for everyone, or watching Sunderland, which is obviously fine :) that four year old post was fucking honking though

Aye read it back and he didn't word it great like. You're right it's not for everyone, obviously the cheap admission prices and the crowds reflect that, but it's got a niche market pretty much like Non league has which you mentioned.

I just see it as a different version of the same game, in the same way as watching Italian or German football isn't the same as watching Premier League.

It's great that the opportunity is there for them because they obviously fucking love playing and some of them are technically very gifted although the game isn't played at the pace of the men's game. Watching Pottsy clean somebody out as last defender is every bit as satisfying for me as watching Botman do it.

What's also important about it though, is that there appears to be none of the toxicity that swirls around the men's game and a lot of people seem to have decided that it's a good place to take the family, so you get a lot of kids watching that you don't see at SJP because they can't get a seat. I don't see this as a bad thing, although I'm sure plenty would.  It honestly wouldn't surprise me one bit if the elite level men's game started to tail off because of people being priced out, and because they're getting priced out by corporate types with no interest in the game, and because of the shite and politics which are slowly destroying it, while the women's continues to grow (but will inevitably go the same way)

Edited by OpenC

5 hours ago, Sifu said:

Got myself a season ticket for the Lasses in the standing area, I'm wearing the third kit if anyone wants to say hello.

Didn't see this or I would have. Where were you? In the covered stand? 

From my experience, it's often, obviously not always, a mindset thing. For many following the women's team and lower league teams and grass roots stuff, it's as much about the journey, supporting the community and seeing the teams grow as much as anything else.

It's not a right or wrong, or a die hard collectors acheivement badge, although there is always a hardcore percentage of "if it's 1% related to NUFC I will superman the hell out of it and there". Respect to that too.

Its similar with the slow growth of football over here. The Canadian Prem is league 2 standard, lower league one at best. Plenty of die hard football fans and friends around that have zero interest in watching a local CPL team because of the standard and would rather watch euro leagues on tv at home or the pub.

There is a degree of supporter need to get to the next level, local support has to be there. Personally I see alot of being part of the problem not the solution with plenty of people moaning about the level and things not improving quick enough but also not interested in supporting to help things getting better. That's different to something just not being for them though.

All that said, with more of lifes responsibilities as you get older (from my experience) it's also not something everyone can commit time and money to, whether they want to or not. It's priorities. I've also enjoyed watching different things over time too. To each their own. My days of going to open mic nights and scouting new music is long gone. fuck I barely get to any big gigs anymore. I also dont source out trainee chefs to go out for a meal to support their pathway lol. 

I first watched the lasses at the Alnwick game at St James and only missed 4 home games since. What started as a Dad and daughter occasion has grown to Dad, Mam, daughter, another daughter and her boyfriend, a son in law and my granddaughter. The 'journey' is the thing, I love it. I have 7 season tickets now for the women and have also have season tickets for the men's for over 20 years and fortunately got my granddaughter a season ticket the summer before takeover. The difference in the football is significant but rapidly shortening but the occasion, to me anyway, is the same.

Everyone should give it a go and I'll be surprised if you don't enjoy even for no other reason than for being black and white.

I would love nothing more than converting Wallsendmag into a lasses season ticket holder but fear I have more chance of getting Eddie to invite Mitchell for Christmas dinner. Never mind.

Onto the game itself, was a comfortable win with a controlled performance from the Lasses. 

Of course it's only 2 games in but pleasingly, the team haven't looked out of place at all so far (can't deny though they summer recruitment has helped in this respect)

Sheffield United had very few chances and on the occasions they did, the defence and Moan handled them well.

Signs of a promising season ahead!

I’ve banged the dum for the lasses a little while now. Whilst I only go to the odd game here and there, I have to admit it’s a good atmosphere for families. It’s much more friendlier, and welcoming to families than say non-league, and obviously much more accessible than the mens team.

You can’t compare them to the mens team, I’m sorry, it’s naturally different, and I’ve said it before, unfair to do so.

Watching them, and comparing them to the mens team is like watching non-league and saying they would never be able to do it in the Premier League, or watching Futsal and saying they would never be able to make it on a full sized pitch. You have to accept that it’s different, and just desire for the lasses to be the best they can be, rather than always comparing them to the men.

In my opinion, the people who are derogatory or look down on the women’s game, are generally the people who have never seen a woman’s match, not watched one for years, or watched 20 minutes of one, and will never watch it again. Basically the woman’s games biggest critics, are the people not watching the women’s game.

Edited by Stifler