Open Wide For Some Soccer! - Poch to the Yanks.

Mike

now because of the rise of the Spanish.  It used to be pretty standard for the Spanish to go out in the quarterfinal and then complain about it for a few years.  Seems you assholes forgot about those years.

You'd think someone that supports Barca would be a better winner than this.

I'm a pretty good wanker I think, I get lots of practice.

VI blatantly sees us as Barca's rival now that we brought JFK into the family. No more humble "Ohhh, you almost strung three passes together lads! Try again!" VI for us.

How good is Donovan, man. Guy could still walk into the starting XI for most PL sides.

Calm the fuck down, Captain America.

You dispute that?

How come he still plays for Ziggy Stardust then?

How good is Donovan, man. Guy could still walk into the starting XI for most PL sides.

Calm the f*** down, Captain America.

You dispute that?

Yes I dispute that.

Surely he would have spent more time playing out of a retirement league if he was that good though? He did look pretty good for Everton I thought but looking back at his career he hasn't really done much.

Surely he would have spent more time playing out of a retirement league if he was that good though? He did look pretty good for Everton I thought but looking back at his career he hasn't really done much.

He's comfortable where he is and hasn't really felt the need to prove himself in Europe I guess. He's had a remarkable international career, including great performances at 3 WCs.

Is he a starter on a Champions League side? Of course not, same with Dempsey. But pick a mid-table team and he'd be just fine there.

Just learnt today that the American FA is actually a few months older than the Spanish one. Yet in 100 years they only have managed to beat some communist rabble and draw against England.

They beat us 1-0 in the 1950 World Cup too.

He's comfortable where he is and hasn't really felt the need to prove himself in Europe I guess. He's had a remarkable international career, including great performances at 3 WCs.

Is he a starter on a Champions League side? Of course not, same with Dempsey. But pick a mid-table team and he'd be just fine there.

True, but he could have been so much more.  He needed to play at a different level regularly to develop into what he could have been.

True, but he could have been so much more.  He needed to play at a different level regularly to develop into what he could have been.

:dontknow: I'm not really sure what more he could've been. I don't know if he ever had potential to be a superstar who could've played for a perennial CL contender. He might've squeezed out a bit more playing in Europe, but in terms of producing for the national team, I'm not sure what else we could want from him. Guy has 50+ goals and assists.

As you said, attitude/motivation was always his biggest issue. Maybe if he had more drive...

Well exactly, you do get that sometimes though I think. Really excellent players that just don't have the desire or mental strength, whatever you want to call it to get to that next level.

:dontknow: I'm not really sure what more he could've been. I don't know if he ever had potential to be a superstar who could've played for a perennial CL contender. He might've squeezed out a bit more playing in Europe, but in terms of producing for the national team, I'm not sure what else we could want from him. Guy has 50+ goals and assists.

As you said, attitude/motivation was always his biggest issue. Maybe if he had more drive...

I submit that he could have done much more for the US team, even though his stats are the best in our history.  He really was that good.  I had season tickets to the Earthquakes for years, and remember that 18 year old just tearing shit up back in 2001.  He was instrumental in turning us from utter utter shit to MLS champions.  what I saw in him was like nothing I had ever seen from an American player.  Lightning pace, amazing vision, and all-round footballing intelligence. 

Back then, he wasn't scared to take on defenders or have a go at goal any chance he got.  In the subsequent years, he would always look for the pass first, and it seems that initial hunger deteriorated.

and remember that 20 year old kid in Korea in 2002.  Full of hunger, and absolutely unplayable in a few games.  That was a hell of a World Cup for us.

WC2002 was what got me hooked on the game. I had played all growing up but hadn't really followed it much. Donovan, Clint Mathis and his crazy douchebag mohawk, Beasley tearing down the wing. Those wins against Portugal and Mexico man, electric stuff. Great tournament for us.

And then we sucked mightily in Germany.

and outplaying Germany in the QF.  Kahn was absolutely brilliant that day.  But we were clearly robbed of a handball on the line.  Penalty and red card, that game could have been different.

Sanneh had a great tournament, and was brilliant in that game apart from the German goal.

That was really a great team, perfect mix of the old guard (Sanneh, Agoos, Stewart), guys at their peak (McBride, Moore, Lewis, Pope), and the next generation (Donovan, Beasley, O'Brien, Cherundolo).

That was really a great team, perfect mix of the old guard (Sanneh, Agoos, Stewart), guys at their peak (McBride, Moore, Lewis, Pope), and the next generation (Donovan, Beasley, O'Brien, Cherundolo).

And you call yourself American :lol: Where is Claudio Reyna hiding? Casually ignoring him because of his non-American name is it? Best US player in the 2002 World Cup.