Open Wide For Some Soccer!

Mike

Ultimately all that matters is whether they think coach Beralter is the man for the next World Cup. This domestic stuff is irrelevant. As for the Reyna boy, he should be allowed back into the fold if he turns his back on his parents and changes his name.

8 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Ultimately all that matters is whether they think coach Beralter is the man for the next World Cup. This domestic stuff is irrelevant. As for the Reyna boy, he should be allowed back into the fold if he turns his back on his parents and changes his name.

Has to run around the training pitch wearing this... 

6018172f3f8268.57982288.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/01/2023 at 16:47, Ameritoon said:

Out of all this drama we've never heard a peep from someone at USSF. It's such a horribly run place and whenever I heard more it gets worse and worse.

Sounds like Ernie Steward and Brian McBride are both on their way out anyway, so who knows what's next.

As expected with McBride: https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4856930/usmnt-general-manager-brian-mcbride-wont-return-to-program

My friend tells he's suffering from all the concussions he got in his career, which is really unfortunate.

I saw some kid signed his first professional soccer contract at St. Louis FC at 15 years old and his name was Cayden. I also just saw that Brenden Aaronson's brother got his first USMNT cap and his name is Paxten.

We're about to enter that really dumb name era in American soccer. :lol:

Edited by cubaricho

23 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

I saw some kid signed his first professional soccer contract at St. Louis FC at 15 years old and his name was Cayden. I also just saw that Brenden Aaronson's brother got his first USMNT cap and his name is Paxten.

I hear you.  As a teacher probably ten percent of my students (male or female) are some variation of kayden. 

18 hours ago, cubaricho said:

Let us not forget Paxton Pomykal, Caden Clark, Cade Cowell, and Aidan Morris. :lol: 

• 2 weeks later...

That thread is spot on imo. Would love a prominent manager in the twilight of his club career (Van Gaal, Bielsa) but looking for a fresh challenge. Pep and Carlo likely aren’t gettable at this point, but we’d be laughing if we convinced either.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hoo boy: U.S. Soccer Gregg Berhalter investigation: What was found, Reynas’ involvement and what’s next - The Athletic

Story:

The independent investigation into former U.S. men’s national team coach Gregg Berhalter was released Monday and confirmed details of an incident in 1992 in which Berhalter pushed down and kicked his then-girlfriend, now-wife Rosalind Berhalter in the legs when the two were freshmen at the University of North Carolina.

According to the investigation, the details of the incident track with what Gregg and Rosalind Berhalter said both in a public statement and in interviews with investigators, and were confirmed by witnesses who were informed about the incident in the days after that fight occurred 31 years ago.

The law firm that conducted the investigation, Alston & Bird, concluded that its analysis “leads us to conclude that the fact of the 1992 Incident does not prevent an employer from employing Mr. Berhalter.” According to the investigation, given that it occurred 31 years ago and no evidence contradicting witness accounts or suggesting similar conduct since, “there is no basis to conclude that employing Mr. Berhalter would create legal risks for an organization.”

The investigation, which can be read in full here, also showed that former U.S. World Cup captain Claudio Reyna had a “pattern of periodic outreach” to U.S. Soccer officials over a six-year period from 2016 through the end of 2022 in regards to “U.S. Soccer’s treatment of his children, including primarily his son, USMNT player Gio Reyna.” That outreach included complaints about refereeing at youth club level in the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, travel accommodations at the U-17 World Cup and Reyna’s role at the 2022 World Cup. The investigation also indicated that both Claudio and Danielle Reyna, Gio Reyna’s mother, made vague suggestions to U.S. Soccer employees at the 2022 World Cup, “suggesting they knew damaging information about Mr. Berhalter that U.S. Soccer officials did not know.”

The investigation also concluded that the communications between the Reynas and U.S. Soccer officials did not violate any laws or U.S. Soccer policy, but did not determine whether it violated the FIFA Code of Ethics – a violation potentially in play because Reyna was an official with NYCFC and Austin FC at the time of the communications.

Notably, investigators wrote that they were, “impressed with Mr. Berhalter’s candor and demeanor during the Investigation. He cooperated fully and extensively with the Investigation and our requests for interviews.” They also wrote that they were, “less impressed with the Reynas’ cooperation during the Investigation. After several attempts to schedule an interview, we had two brief phone conversations with Mrs. Reyna on December 29th, and we did not succeed in having a follow-up conversation with her – or any conversation with Mr. Reyna – after that. Mrs. Reyna’s story evolved over the course of the Investigation.”

U.S. Soccer released a statement that reads in part: “Given the investigators’ conclusion that there is no legal impediment to employing him, Gregg Berhalter remains a candidate to serve as head coach of the men’s national team. The report also identifies a need to revisit U.S. Soccer’s policies concerning appropriate parental conduct and communications with staff at the national team level. We will be updating those policies as we continue to work to ensure safe environments for all participants in our game.”

The statement indicates that U.S. Soccer has begun interviews with candidates for its vacant sporting director position and that the sporting director will “lead the process of determining who will serve as head coach” of the USMNT.

Why was an investigation opened? What was being investigated?

U.S. Soccer opened an investigation after it learned of an incident involving coach Gregg Berhalter and his now-wife, Rosalind Berhalter, when the two first started dating at the University of North Carolina in 1992. Then-U.S. Soccer sporting director Earnie Stewart was told by Danielle Reyna that Berhalter, “beat the shit out of” Rosalind when the two were freshmen at UNC.

According to a statement issued jointly by the Berhalters, Gregg kicked Rosalind during an argument outside of a bar at UNC. During the course of that investigation, U.S. Soccer said it expanded the investigation to include “potential inappropriate behavior towards multiple members of our staff by individuals outside of our organization.”

What were the results of the investigation?

The investigation showed that, according to interviews with both Gregg and Rosalind Berhalter, they got into an argument while they were freshmen at the University of North Carolina at a bar called Players.

The fight started because Gregg Berhalter, then 18, was jealous that Rosalind was giving attention to another student athlete. The two were intoxicated and eventually went outside. Rosalind Berhalter struck Gregg in the face and Gregg Berhalter shoved her to the ground and kicked her in the “upper leg” twice before being tackled by a passer-by.

According to the investigation, both Gregg and Rosalind Berhalter self-reported the incident to their respective college coaches the next day. Elmar Bolowich, the UNC men’s coach, confirmed those details. The UNC women’s coach, Anson Dorrance, declined to be interviewed for the investigation and said that it was a personal issue “that should be resolved within the families” and that he “won’t contribute to something in the public eye.” Gregg Berhalter’s family members also confirmed that Gregg told them about the incident in 1992. Danielle Reyna, who was roommates with Rosalind Berhalter, said she did not witness the incident.

No police report was filed nor any report with UNC and Rosalind Berhalter said she did not seek medical attention because “she was not injured.” Berhalter voluntarily sought help after the incident, he said in a statement earlier this year. He told investigators he self-reported this incident to his academic counselor, sought counseling about the incident, and, of his own accord, decided to do community service at a women’s teenage correctional facility in Durham. No one required him to pursue counseling or community service.”

The two stopped dating until the following year when they were sophomores. The investigators found no evidence that contradicts this recollection. They also found no evidence of any other physical abuse or incidents in the 31 years since.

What did the investigation show regarding the Reynas’ communications with U.S. Soccer?

The investigation concluded that there was a “pattern of outreach” including while Gio Reyna played youth club soccer in the U.S. Soccer Development Academy (USSDA) for NYCFC while his father was sporting director of the MLS organization.

A interview with a person whose name was redacted called Claudio Reyna’s historical outreach as “bullying” and “mean-spirited” and said that whenever he received them he would forward it to U.S. Soccer leadership.

In Feb. 2016, Claudio Reyna made complaints about his son and tried to overturn a red card that Gio Reyna got in a USSDA match. The official did not overturn the red card or allow Gio Reyna to play in the next match. In 2018, Claudio Reyna sent another email complaining about a female referee in a match involving Gio Reyna. In the email, according to the investigation, “Mr. Reyna stated, ‘Field, referee everything!! So embarrassing all the way around.’ Mr. Reyna sent a follow-up email that stated: ‘And in all honest [sic] can we get real and have male refs for a game like this. Its embarrassing guys. What are we trying to prove? A game like this deserves bett[e]r attention.’”

That email was circulated internally at U.S. Soccer and led to this comment from a source whose name was redacted: “This is truly sad to see. I believe we should regroup internally . . . and decide the path we want to take. After this and his communication last week, this is not appropriate or acceptable.”

Earnie Stewart said Claudio began making complaints to him as early as Nov. 2019 during the FIFA U-17 World Cup about lack of playing time for Gio Reyna, inadequate travel arrangements (not flying business class) and other issues. Stewart told investigators he had not dealt with that type of behavior from any other parents in his 20 years in the business.

Gregg Berhalter told investigators that at the FIFA U-17 World Cup in November 2019, Claudio “Reyna texted him about the coach, stating, ‘he’s the worst coach.’ Mr. Berhalter said that ‘when things don’t go great for Gio, [the Reynas] pivot and go into attack mode.’” Berhalter compared the Reynas’ behavior at the U-17 World Cup to the 2022 World Cup and also provided text messages to investigators that he received from Claudio Reyna in 2019 and 2020, “complaining about Gio Reyna’s treatment, travel arrangements and coaches.”

Stewart shared one text received on Nov. 21 after Gio Reyna did not play in the Wales game in which Claudio wrote, “What a complete and utter (f-ing) joke. Our family is disgusted in case you are wondering. Disgusted at how a coach is allowed to never be challenged and do whatever he wants.”

Another witness whose name was redacted said that the Reynas declined to get back on a bus in the family program at the 2022 World Cup after the Wales game because the Berhalter family was also on the bus. That witness recalled a conversation with Danielle Reyna the next day in which she apologized for the emotion of the moment but also said, “You’re talking about 40 years of history between us, for something like this to happen.” The witness then said Danielle, “said something along the lines of, ‘Once this tournament is over, I can make one phone call and give one interview, and his cool sneakers and bounce passes will be gone.’”

Then-U.S. Soccer general manager Brian McBride said he started receiving texts from Claudio Reyna after being hired in January 2020. He also received a text from Claudio Reyna on Nov. 21 that read: “Our entire family is disgusted, angry and done with you guys. Don’t expect nice comments from anyone in our family about US Soccer. I’m being transparent to you not like the political clown show of the federation.”

McBride met with the Reynas on Nov. 24, the day before the England game, to explain the decisions about Gio Reyna’s playing time. McBride told investigators those types of meetings would not typically happen, but he did so as a courtesy to Claudio Reyna given their long friendship and history as teammates. During that meeting, McBride said Claudio told him, “You guys don’t even know what we know about Gregg,” but did not provide additional information.

That communication also included the Reynas reaching out to Stewart on Dec. 11 and disclosing the 31-year-old incident involving the Berhalters. The investigation concluded that, “the information was disclosed at a time when it would be expected to discourage or otherwise influence the organization from offering a contract extension to Mr. Berhalter.”

The investigation found, however, that the Reynas’ communications did not amount to a crime and did not violate U.S. Soccer policies or SafeSport rules.

How have Berhalter and the Reynas responded?

The Athletic spoke to Berhalter very briefly over the phone on Monday evening. Berhalter provided a short statement regarding Monday’s news, but did not answer any questions. “Rosalind and I have respect for the process U.S. Soccer had to go through,” he said. “We’re grateful it has concluded and look forward to what’s next.”

Claudio Reyna’s agent, Dan Segal, emailed a statement to The Athletic: “US Soccer is a small community.  Anyone who knows the Reynas knows that they are kind, generous people who have devoted countless hours and energy to promoting US soccer and to the welfare of so many fellow players, parents, coaches, administrators and others. They are also a tremendously loving family that was profoundly impacted by the terrible loss of their eldest son Jack to cancer in 2012 at the age of 13.

Claudio and Danielle acknowledge that they have said and done things in the heat of the moment that they regret, particularly the statement that triggered the US Soccer investigation.  Gio acknowledges that, like countless players before, he showed too much disappointment when not selected to play at the World Cup.

That is only part of the story here, but the only side of the story that the investigators chose to tell. It is disheartening and grossly unfair to see the family turned into one-dimensional caricatures to progress a narrative that benefits others. Hopefully, as a US soccer community we are better than that.”

Segal also provided a short statement that the Reynas’ lawyers, Anirudh Bansal and Bill Miller of Cahill Gordon, “will confirm that Claudio did not refuse to be interviewed. In fact, he tried multiple times to arrange to provide information and to answer any/all questions and allegations.”

The investigation details that “after much back-and-forth, we indicated that we would agree to hear (Reyna’s lawyer’s) ‘proffer’ as long as he confirmed that any such ‘proffer’ would be in addition to, and not in lieu of, our opportunity to interview the Reynas directly. We did not receive interview dates in response to our emails and, as a result, did not have a chance to speak with Mr. Reyna to get his perspective on issues (or to interview Mrs. Reyna another time to inquire about her claim in the January 4th public statement that the Berhalters’ description of the 1992 Incident “significantly minimized the abuse” that occurred).”

Segal also included portions of email exchanges between the Reynas’ lawyers and investigators showing communication between the two parties about the Reynas’ participation in the investigation.

In the emails, Reynas’ attorney offers an “attorney proffer,” as noted in the investigation. The emails also include another request from prosecutors to interview the Reynas. Bansal responds in one email provided saying, “I would respectfully submit that my clients’ statements speak for themselves, and the context in which Mr. Berhalter’s conduct was raised during the call with Mr. Stewart dispels any notion that my clients were trying to threaten anyone. I would expect that you have the same view after reviewing the evidence, and if that is the case there is no need to discuss further. However, if you have a different view, or are hearing something different, I would like an opportunity to respond, by addressing any concerns myself, and/or by having my clients answer specific questions directly. To that end, it would be helpful to speak this week about any specific questions you have about the discussion between my clients and Mr. Stewart.”

A follow-up email is included, but no email response from investigators is provided. An email sent Monday by Bansal to investigators calls the assertion that Claudio Reyna did not provide interview dates and thus did not participate in the investigation “a gross mischaracterization of our exchange.”

The Athletic reached out to U.S. Soccer regarding the emails provided.

How did U.S. Soccer learn about the Berhalter incident?

U.S. Soccer learned of the incident on Dec. 11 after Claudio “sent a series of text messages to then-U.S. Soccer sporting director Earnie Stewart regarding Gio Reyna and the recent media coverage regarding Gregg Berhalter’s comments at the leadership conference.” Stewart said he spoke with both parents by phone and listened to their concerns. Near the end of the call, according to the investigation, Danielle alleged Gregg physically assaulted Rosalind in the 1990s. Investigators wrote that Stewart told them, “Mrs. Reyna told him on Dec. 11, 2022 that Mr. Berhalter “beat the shit out of” Mrs. Berhalter during their freshman year of college.”

Stewart immediately informed U.S. Soccer counsel about the call.

Berhalter was interviewed for the investigation on Dec. 20 without knowing what it was about and immediately admitted to the incident and discussed details of it with investigators saying, “I still have to own this now.” Rosalind Berhalter was interviewed the next day and gave a similar recollection of the event.

When investigators initially reached out to Danielle Reyna to interview her for the investigation and asked if she had a phone conversation with Stewart on Dec. 11, Danielle Reyna stated,  “I will not confirm anything.” She said she would not get involved because “I have cleaned my mind.”

Asked again if she had that call with Stewart: “I’m not saying I did that. I am not saying anything. I won’t confirm or deny that I made that allegation to Earnie.” Investigators then asked again if she was on the phone with Stewart in December and she said, “I deny we were on a phone call.” When asked again about the call, Reyna said, “Yes, I am denying this whole thing.” According to the investigators, Reyna said she didn’t speak to Stewart about anything and she did not remember and that there is nothing else she can share with us. Said she had nothing left to say and “if you want to close it, you can close it.”

Danielle Reyna then called investigators back and said, “I did say it” in reference to the Dec. 11 call with Stewart.

According to the investigation: “She explained that she had a phone conversation with Stewart and told him that ‘there was an incident our freshman year I had to deal with’ involving Mr. and Mrs. Berhalter. We asked for details about the incident. She said: ‘There was a physical fight. I wasn’t there. I didn’t observe the fight.’ She confirmed the fight was ‘between Gregg and his wife.’ When we asked what actually happened, she said, ‘I didn’t observe it.’ She explained that she had talked about it with Mrs. Berhalter when it happened, ‘but I don’t know who hit whom. I was told there was a fight – that was it.’”

Danielle Reyna later said in a statement that she told Stewart about the incident involving Gregg Berhalter during a phone conversation after the World Cup. Danielle said in the statement she was upset that Berhalter had spoken about behavior issues regarding her son during the World Cup while Berhalter was speaking at a leadership conference in the days after the tournament. It should be noted that Berhalter’s comments were made at a conference under the Chatham House Rule that was supposed to remain off the record, and that in those comments he did not name any player. A report by The Athletic revealed that the player he was citing was Reyna.

What happened with Gio Reyna at the World Cup? 

According to multiple sources close to the team, Reyna showed an alarming lack of effort in training ahead of the U.S.’s opening match of the tournament against Wales on Nov. 21, including in a scrimmage against Qatari club Al Gharafa SC on Nov. 17. Reyna’s lack of intensity in the scrimmage — sources described him walking around throughout his time on the field during what was otherwise an intense session — caused significant frustration within the team. The lack of effort was so pronounced that it was unclear whether Reyna was protecting against an injury or just frustrated that he was not set to be a starter against Wales. The issues continued into the Wales game when Reyna threw his shin guards after not being subbed in, and then into a post-Wales training session in which Reyna’s lack of effort continued again. It prompted several veteran players to speak with Reyna. The sources said that the situation became untenable and that it had to be addressed multiple times, including with the coaching staff, until, finally, Reyna stood up before a video session and apologized to his teammates for his initial lack of intensity and said he understood he was part of a collective group.

Both Berhalter and Reyna confirmed these issues. In his comments at the leadership conference, Berhalter said they were ready to send a player home for “a player clearly not meeting expectations on and off the field” and confirmed that the player eventually apologized to the team. In a statement he posted on Instagram, Gio Reyna confirmed some details as well, writing that after being told he would have a “limited role,” he “let my emotions get the best of me and affect my training and behavior for a few days after learning about my limited role. I apologized to my teammates and coach for this, and I was told I was forgiven. Thereafter, I shook off my disappointment and gave everything I had on and off the field.”

In the investigation, Stewart also confirmed some of the details, telling investigators that, “coaches had concerns about Gio Reyna’s level of fitness for the first game because he was recovering from an injury. In addition, Mr. Stewart told us that Gio Reyna’s performance was poor during a scrimmage game because he ‘walk[ed] around, and mope[d] around the whole time.’ Mr. Stewart said although it looked like he might still be injured, he mostly ‘seemed ticked off’ and ‘did not appear to be trying at all.’ Mr. Stewart told us that Mr. Berhalter talked to Gio Reyna after that scrimmage to inform him that his effort was not satisfactory, and he needed to ‘adjust his mentality.’ However, Mr. Stewart said that Gio Reyna’s behavior continued for a couple of days of training even after the scrimmage and discussion with Mr. Berhalter. For example, Mr. Stewart said players were required to do sprints on training days after a scrimmage and ‘other guys were busting their tails doing the sprints’ while ‘Gio didn’t do anything.’ Mr. Stewart said this behavior continued after U.S. played in their first game at the 2022 World Cup.”

What’s the relationship between the Reynas, Berhalters and U.S. Soccer leadership? They all seem pretty close.

They are. Further complicating the issues between the Reynas and the Berhalters is the history between the two families.

Gregg Berhalter and Gio’s father, Claudio Reyna, grew up together in New Jersey. They played for the same youth team, coached by Claudio’s father, as well as for the same high school team. Claudio Reyna was the best man at Berhalter’s wedding. Berhalter and Reyna were teammates for the U.S. men’s national team at two World Cups — in 2002 and 2006.

Danielle Reyna and Rosalind Berhalter were teammates and roommates for the University of North Carolina’s women’s soccer team. They remained close friends after leaving school. Danielle Reyna was in Rosalind Berhalter’s wedding party.

In addition, leadership of the U.S. men’s national team was closely linked with both families, as well. Then-sporting director Earnie Stewart played on the U.S. team with both Berhalter and Reyna, as did then-general manager Brian McBride.

What comes next for U.S. Soccer?

Plenty has unfolded off the field for U.S. Soccer amidst this investigation.

Both Stewart and McBride announced they would not be returning in their respective roles. Stewart joined PSV in his native Holland. McBride is moving on from U.S. Soccer.

U.S. Soccer subsequently announced it would begin a search for Stewart’s replacement and had hired a consultancy firm, Sportsology, to help lead that search. Among the candidates whose names have leaked during the search are Sporting Kansas City’s Peter Vermes and Philadelphia Union’s Ernst Tanner, both of whom declined the interest, and former U.S. defender Oguchi Onyewu.

U.S. Soccer announced today that interviews are being conducted for the sporting director position and that the sporting director will lead the coaching search.

U.S. Soccer president Cindy Parlow Cone said she hoped to have a sporting director in place before the start of the FIFA Women’s World Cup. U.S. Soccer leadership said Gregg Berhalter remains a candidate to return as coach.

Anthony Hudson is currently in place as the interim manager and will guide the team through upcoming CONCACAF Nations League games against Grenada and El Salvador in March. The hope, Parlow Cone said, is to have a coach in place by the end of the summer. If that timeline holds, Hudson would oversee the team through a potential Nations League semifinal and final and the summer’s Gold Cup tournament.

What is next for Gregg Berhalter?

It’s not clear what Berhalter’s next step will be.

As U.S. Soccer’s statement indicated, he remains in contention for the U.S. job, and some would argue that his results on the field with the U.S. warrant it. Berhalter won the Nations League and Gold Cup trophies, qualified for the World Cup with the youngest team in the world and then got out of the group at the World Cup with strong, confident performances against Wales and England. Their five points was tied with the 2010 team for most in a group stage by any USMNT at a World Cup.  A 3-1 loss to the Netherlands in the knockout stage was disappointing, but not unexpected. If his tenure is done, he’ll walk away with the highest win percentage of any USMNT coach and a 37-11-12 record.

If Berhalter’s tenure is indeed done, the question is whether he’ll find suitors in Europe or make a return to MLS. The former center back spent 15 years of his 17-year playing career in Europe, with stops in Holland, England and Germany. He also coached for two years in Sweden before taking over the Columbus Crew in 2013.

Berhalter would likely be a desirable candidate in MLS. In five seasons and 170 regular season games in charge of the Crew, considered one of the lower-spending teams in the league during that time, he finished with a 67-58-45 record, averaging 1.45 points per game, and led Columbus to an MLS Cup final in 2015.

What’s next for Gio Reyna?

Reyna met with Hudson, the interim manager, last month in Germany when Hudson took a trip to see players based in Europe. Hudson said the meeting was a “positive” one and noted that they believed the issues with Reyna were resolved during the World Cup camp. It is expected that Reyna will be called up for the USMNT’s next games against Grenada and El Salvador in the CONCACAF Nations League at the end of this month.

Reyna remains an important part of the pool and will undoubtedly play a role in this team going forward.

Reyna scored three goals in his first three games back for Dortmund, all off the bench, but has struggled for consistent minutes since, though he just played 86 minutes in a 2-0 loss to Chelsea in the Champions League.

It should also be noted that Claudio Reyna resigned as sporting director of Austin FC, though he is continuing as a “technical advisor.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...