Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

10 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Seen a lot of people complaining about the lack of atmosphere in the away end yesterday. Seems to be a trend occuring whereby the big away days attract the spectator-type of ST holders who sit on their hands at games.

The derby is going to be full of these types, unfortunately, and the Mackems will no doubt be pouring scorn on the lack of noise from the away end. You can just see it coming.

Why ST holders get any kind of preference for away games is a mystery to me. In reality they should reset the loyalty point system to zero and make games available to all members equally.

That's funny because the lads I know that didn't have season tickets, didn't even apply for tickets but got them off mates who had points but didn't go to aways are still going and they tell me they are still seeing the old familiar faces.

17 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Seen a lot of people complaining about the lack of atmosphere in the away end yesterday. Seems to be a trend occuring whereby the big away days attract the spectator-type of ST holders who sit on their hands at games.

The derby is going to be full of these types, unfortunately, and the Mackems will no doubt be pouring scorn on the lack of noise from the away end. You can just see it coming.

Why ST holders get any kind of preference for away games is a mystery to me. In reality they should reset the loyalty point system to zero and make games available to all members equally.

Presumably resulting in a ballot for away tickets then….

Issue is the lads who went last several years wanted to be there for day out and back the lads.

The type who want to go now want to go to say they went, people same boring fuckers who complain they had to move out of corner for standing

It‘s a difficult one for me to judge fairly. As I am one of the people that have been going for the last 18 years (bar the Bruce era) with a mate and his Dad via their 4 ST’s that the family have. So I am now locked out of away games, really. 

But I don’t know what the answer is?! As that certainly was a closed shop and didn’t seem fair. But the new system is making for shit atmospheres in the away end by all accounts. That’s without even getting to people’s gripes with the ticketing for home games. 

Perhaps if you could transfer your ticket say 3-4 times a season for away games. That could be an option. But not sure if that is viable or something the club would look to do?

Edited by Lush Vlad

27 minutes ago, madras said:

That's funny because the lads I know that didn't have season tickets, didn't even apply for tickets but got them off mates who had points but didn't go to aways are still going and they tell me they are still seeing the old familiar faces.

Your talking about yesterday? Your mates got in through ST-holding mates giving them their tickets?

25 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Ah, yes, those fair weather fans who kept their ticket for years while others gave up and sacked off following the team. They’ll be the problem. 

Like it or not, the ST holders who put up with everything that Ashley did, including allowing Rafa to walk and replace him with Bruce, are the ones who are less likely to make noise at a game.

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

Like it or not, the ST holders who put up with everything that Ashley did, including allowing Rafa to walk and replace him with Bruce, are the ones who are less likely to make noise at a game.

Disagree. 

28 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Ah, yes, those fair weather fans who kept their ticket for years while others gave up and sacked off following the team. They’ll be the problem. 

Na, just no better than anyone else.

Just now, JJ7 said:

Na, just no better than anyone else.

Well, of course. No worse either. People go to the match or they don’t, either is perfectly fine. But we seem to have this odd situation where fans of ours who continued to go are somehow viewed as the fickle ones. Like most who stopped didn’t stop because we were shit and boring to watch. 

3 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Yes. It would be better than the current system. But then start building loyalty points up from this new system.

You can’t say let’s have a ballot for away tickets, but once I’ve got enough points to start being able to get tickets, pack it in and go back to the normal way 😂

5 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Well, of course. No worse either. People go to the match or they don’t, either is perfectly fine. But we seem to have this odd situation where fans of ours who continued to go are somehow viewed as the fickle ones. Like most who stopped didn’t stop because we were shit and boring to watch. 

I’d say most stopped going because of Ashley. I went, but as I said on another thread almost felt guilty for it. We hardly helped get rid of him. Going or not during the Ashley era is hardly a good ‘loyalty’ test. Little to do with being shit.

5 minutes ago, SteV said:

You can’t say let’s have a ballot for away tickets, but once I’ve got enough points to start being able to get tickets, pack it in and go back to the normal way 😂

Its not doing that though. Its basically a reset of the away loyalty points system with everyone starting from scratch.

Just now, JJ7 said:

I’d say most stopped going because of Ashley. I went, but as I said on another thread almost felt guilty for it. We hardly helped get rid of him. Going or not during the Ashley era is hardly a good ‘loyalty’ test. Little to do with being shit.

Easy to say isn’t it? But Ashley showed his teeth when Keegan left in 2008. So anybody that kept their ticket on after that is at fault? Why was Rafa- eleven years later- the litmus test?

2 minutes ago, Wandy said:

It’s not doing that though. It’s basically a reset of the away loyalty points system with everyone starting from scratch.

So at what point does that system move away from ballot and back to points becoming relevant?

Just now, Hovagod said:

That’s not rewarding loyalty though. 

Eh? How come? Everyone starts from scratch and builds loyalty points. When I say everyone I mean all members. ST holders should get no perks when it comes to away tickets.

Just now, SteV said:

So at what point does that system move away from ballot and back to points becoming relevant?

They could start balloting separate portions of the away tickets based on certain amounts of loyalty points.

1 minute ago, Hovagod said:

Easy to say isn’t it? But Ashley showed his teeth when Keegan left in 2008. So anybody that kept their ticket on after that is at fault? Why was Rafa- eleven years later- the litmus test?

At fault, no, but again we hardly helped. Some gave up because of Ashley after years of home and away. Others got a season ticket a few years ago because they were cheap. I don’t think it’s a loyalty test or ‘those who stayed when we were shit’ (I don’t accept the premise) are generally any more loyal than those who didn’t. 

4 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Eh? How come? Everyone starts from scratch and builds loyalty points. When I say everyone I mean all members. ST holders should get no perks when it comes to away tickets.

Why should everyone start from. Scratch , because it would benefit you and your mates maybe ?

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

At this point we’ve supposedly got 60/70k members plus 30k ST holders. So we’d have about 100k people eligible for 3k (less really) tickets every away game.  Even if only 15/20% apply, you’ll be doing very well to make two games a season.

Just now, Wandy said:

They could start balloting separate portions of the away tickets based on certain amounts of loyalty points.

In 10 years time?