Badgers and Codgers United

Terrymac1966

Hi everyone I am opening this up for all like me who are grey as badgers or getting on in years but who still burn with passion about Newcastle United. 

I was inspired by the Chants thread in which someone referred to 'old cunts' who I presume is us and was maybe a light hearted quip about our verbal show of support.

In 1966 as a ten year old I was extremely verbal and from then on joined all the singing ends from the Leazes to The Corner through the 60s 70s and 80s...Im sure many older fans followed a similar path.

Scoot will verify that when I used to take him to the match up in the family section with my son we all sang our hearts out and went mental when we scored....

So a thread for us then but also for everyone to chip in at the sheer joy and despair we own down the years.

I read last night that sadly Dr Ed Harrison has ended his blog due to terminal cancer...so in terms of dedication this is for him especially today. 

I value fans of every era and have a great deal of NUFC fans as friends from abroad too....anyone else know Ugly American or Aussie Toon...Dimi from Belgium Smokey from Canada...all bleed black and white...

Post up here with toon moments you will cherish forever down the years.

Young or old really matters not ?

I8

Not as long ago as plenty of memories will run to but 2006 is a while ago now.  I don't go any more, haven't for years, but the moment I always think about is being behind the goal in the Gallowgate when Shearer scored against Portsmouth (and the luckless Andy O'Brien as I recall) to break Jackie Milburn's record.  Not sure how other people felt about it on the day but the lads around us had been talking about it for a couple of months leading up to it and that felt like something special to have been there for.

4 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Not as long ago as plenty of memories will run to but 2006 is a while ago now.  I don't go any more, haven't for years, but the moment I always think about is being behind the goal in the Gallowgate when Shearer scored against Portsmouth (and the luckless Andy O'Brien as I recall) to break Jackie Milburn's record.  Not sure how other people felt about it on the day but the lads around us had been talking about it for a couple of months leading up to it and that felt like something special to have been there for.

I'm too lazy to look, but who did we play in the FA Cup(?) just before that game? I was still at the Portsmouth game, and right behind the goal at the Gallowgate for it, but I went to that FA Cup specifically cause I thought that would be the game he broke the record. 

Sounds familiar. Which was the one that was snowed off when people were literally already there? Was that Boro? I was going up the Gallowgate steps when it was announced

Edited by OpenC

17 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Sounds familiar. Which was the one that was snowed off when people were literally already there? Was that Boro? I was going up the Gallowgate steps when it was announced

I think that was Charlton! Pretty sure I'd gotten off the metro already. Don't think it was so much snow on the pitch but considered a safety hazard around the ground.

Who was at the 1990 play off against the Makems? A game which ‘we’ as in the idiots who broke the crossbar tried to get called off. And the 2017? Game which definitely should have been cancelled. I was in the Milburn, towards the Leazes. Wettest I have ever been in my life. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

2 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Who was at the 1990 play off against the Makems? A game which definitely should have been cancelled. I was in the Milburn, towards the Leazes. Wettest I have ever been in my life. 

Are you getting mixed up with the Gullit one, cos that was the wettest game I ever remember? Playoff was before my time - or there were two soaking derbies?

7 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Are you getting mixed up with the Gullit one, cos that was the wettest game I ever remember? Playoff was before my time - or there were two soaking derbies?

Yep, old codger brain kicked in ? I’ve corrected the original. 

3 favourites for me:

Liam O'Brien over the wall - scenes;

Derby away when we went down to 9 men and lost 4-2 - the best away support I've ever experienced; and

Bellamy's last minute winner at Feyenoord - what a night.

2 hours ago, OpenC said:

Also happened with Southampton a few years back. Some of their fans in the pub wouldn't believe us.

2 hours ago, OpenC said:

I was in the stadium for the Charlton game when it was called off. Was bleaching with snow. 

I remember us beating Boro at home 2-0 in the championship 09/10 and that was covered in snow 

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Who was at the 1990 play off against the Makems? A game which ‘we’ as in the idiots who broke the crossbar tried to get called off. And the 2017? Game which definitely should have been cancelled. I was in the Milburn, towards the Leazes. Wettest I have ever been in my life. 

Wettest I've ever been at a match was the derby where Sellars scored the only goal at the Leaves end, it rained most of the match and the corner there (by which I mean about 20m x 20m of pitch) with the Millburn stand was actually submerged.

Think I remember reading that the game was only played because nobody dared call it off.

Chelsea home in the FA Cup when Kluivert scored was pretty brutal for weather as I remember. My season ticket was in the 4th row and my legs were just getting covered in snow. Really old guy next to us didn't come out after half time. Was sitting there freezing.

Edited by Superior Acuña

4 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Wasn't it Bournemouth in the FA Cup where the match was called off due to fog, in the (first) Keegan years? Couldn't see the length of the pitch.

It was...and I also remember Liverpool (H) 74/75 being called off due to high winds. Some stand somewhere in the country had its roof ripped off. We won the re arranged game 4-1, 3-0 up in half an hour and I'm sure the programmes from the rearranged game were just the programmes from the original.

2 hours ago, Chris_R said:

Wettest I've ever been at a match was the derby where Sellars scored the only goal at the Leaves end, it rained most of the match and the corner there (by which I mean about 20m x 20m of pitch) with the Millburn stand was actually submerged.

Think I remember reading that the game was only played because nobody dared call it off.

Missed that one. Sounds similar conditions and reasons for not calling it off.