How prolific was Shearer

Guest POWNATS

Guest Knightrider

Off the top of my head, in my lifetime, I can't think of many strikers as accurate with their all-round shooting than Shearer.

Henry? Cantona? If you only counted in the box you have RVN, Andy Cole etc.

Not that I am undermining Shearer's achievement.

Like I said, not many. I'll give you RVN though Cole? Missed loads of chances in his Man Utd days. Henry despite his goal tally misses a lot although I think that might have something to do with the sheer number of shots he does have which I imagine to be more than most so the percentages are bound to be effected. Cantona?  He was quite accurate I agree.

Off the top of my head, in my lifetime, I can't think of many strikers as accurate with their all-round shooting than Shearer.

Like I said, not many. I'll give you RVN though Cole? Missed loads of chances in his Man Utd days. Henry despite his goal tally misses a lot although I think that might have something to do with the sheer number of shots he does have which I imagine to be more than most so the percentages are bound to be effected. Cantona?  He was quite accurate I agree.

Cantona? when will your Man Yoo loving ever stop. Cantona was nowhere near the finisher of Shearer, just look at career goals for that. Just like Shearer had nowhere the flair and creativity of Cantona.

Guest Knightrider

Cantona? when will your Man Yoo loving ever stop. Cantona was nowhere near the finisher of Shearer, just look at career goals for that. Just like Shearer had nowhere the flair and creativity of Cantona.

The way I read it was that although not prolific, his shooting was accurate which I agree. I can't remember Cantona wasting many chances that fell his way so in that sense, i.e. number of goals to shots, you could say he was prolific and maybe that's what Delima was getting at? Or maybe not :D

The way I read it was that although not prolific, his shooting was accurate which I agree. I can't remember Cantona wasting many chances that fell his way so in that sense, i.e. number of goals to shots, you could say he was prolific and maybe that's what Delima was getting at? Or maybe not :D

Still don't agree with it either way as there's countless players you could have in there if you include the likes of Cantona.

Past 10 years I'd have to say it would be the likes of Shearer, Ronaldo, Batistuta, Van Nistelrooy, Shevchenko & Romario (best finisher of all time after Gerd Muller).

Guest Knightrider

Ronaldo pre-injuries for sure, at Madrid though he often sent shots wayward and become a player who needed a few chances, although still prolific.

Van Nistelrooy was deadly in the box but for me Shearer was deadlier due to his range and ability to score all manner of goals.

Batistuta - yep, awesome.

Romario - again, awesome. Although because of his nature, he fluffed a good number of easy chances by trying the audacious (maybe the same can be said of Henry?).

Shevchenko  - agree.

Muller, never seen him play ;)

Ronaldo pre-injuries for sure, at Madrid though he often sent shots wayward and become a player who needed a few chances, although still prolific.

Van Nistelrooy was deadly in the box but for me Shearer was deadlier due to his range and ability to score all manner of goals.

Romario - again, awesome. Although because of his nature, he fluffed a good number of easy chances by trying the audacious (maybe the same can be said of Henry?).

Shevchenko  - agree.

Romario fluffing easy chances, that has to be a lie there and then. Never seen a player in my lifetime so cool and composed infront of goal.

Ronaldo as well at Madrid, give him the ball in front of goal and he puts it away, still lethal as anything in a 1 vs 1 scenario.

Guest Knightrider

Shevchenko  - agree.

Romario fluffing easy chances, that has to be a lie there and then. Never seen a player in my lifetime so cool and composed infront of goal.

Ronaldo as well at Madrid, give him the ball in front of goal and he puts it away, still lethal as anything in a 1 vs 1 scenario.

I vividly recall Ronaldo missing quite a few chances for Madrid over the years and striking a few shots like they were backpasses among other groans.

Same with Romario, seen him one on one with the keeper a few times and instead of slotting it past him, he would send a chip over the bar or try a fancy wriggle only to be denied.

For example.

Edit: Not the Romario who played for Barca and Brazil, the old man Romario who played in the Brazilian league. BTW Romario is probably the best striker I've ever seen, one of my fave all-time footballers.

Shevchenko  - agree.

I vividly recall Ronaldo missing quite a few chances for Madrid over the years and striking a few shots like they were backpasses among other groans.

Same with Romario, seen him one on one with the keeper a few times and instead of slotting it past him, he would send a chip over the bar or try a fancy wriggle only to be denied.

For example.

Edit: Not the Romario who played for Barca and Brazil, the old man Romario who played in the Brazilian league. BTW Romario is probably the best striker I've ever seen, one of my fave all-time footballers.

:thup:

Guest Knightrider

I don't think Romario was the greatest all-rounder but never has a striker moved like him, not even Henry. He was a cool cool customer, so lithe and what balance, just an awesome player who excited you even when not on the ball. It was a joy to see those runs, the movement, the rounding off of moves. Not bad in the air either for being cock height. Imagine him at his prime in the Premiership? I think he'd have broken a few goaslcoring records.

I used to love watching Batistuta too. Explosive shooting and powerful in the air. He was more like a British centre-forward but with the cunning, flair and skill of a South American.

Looking at todays strikers, there are not many true world-class strikers kicking about. In the past 10-15 years there was a spate of them.

I don't think Romario was the greatest all-rounder but never has a striker moved like him, not even Henry. He was a cool cool customer, so lithe and what balance, just an awesome player who excited you even when not on the ball. It was a joy to see those runs, the movement, the rounding off of moves. Not bad in the air either for being cock height. Imagine him at his prime in the Premiership? I think he'd have broken a few goaslcoring records.

I used to love watching Batistuta too. Explosive shooting and powerful in the air. He was more like a British centre-forward but with the cunning, flair and skill of a South American.

Looking at todays strikers, there are not many true world-class strikers kicking about. In the past 10-15 years there was a spate of them.

Ronaldo from 96-99 was a freak of nature, best player I've seen in my lifetime and by some distance. Not just the fact he could beat 5 men at a time but he also had the composure to finish those moves off. If injury and lack of motivation post 2002 hadn't occurred he could have had a rightful claim to Pele or Maradona's (personal preference but Pele for me) crown.

Still don't agree with it either way as there's countless players you could have in there if you include the likes of Cantona.

Past 10 years I'd have to say it would be the likes of Shearer, Ronaldo, Batistuta, Van Nistelrooy, Shevchenko & Romario (best finisher of all time after Gerd Muller).

For goodness sake, what's wrong with praising a Manchester United player? Grow up please. When I wished Sunderland luck I was said to be a Mackem. When i wished Boro luck I am said to be a Smoggie. When I used the acronym EPL I am said to be a yank. Now I praise a Man U player I am a fifth column from Man U? Whether I have a penchant of Manchester United player, it doesn't affect my opinion that Cantona's all-round shootings are usually accurate. Thank you Knightrider.

Also, obviously I am comparing Shearer to other premiership players. A comparison can only be meaningful when the obstacles they are facing are similar. In premiership it is a culture that defenders should not allow forwards to have space and time to shoot with ease. No point comparing players of other leagues to Shearer.

For goodness sake, what's wrong with praising a Manchester United player? Grow up please. When I wished Sunderland luck I was said to be a Mackem. When i wished Boro luck I am said to be a Smoggie. When I used the acronym EPL I am said to be a yank. Now I praise a Man U player I am a fifth column from Man U? Whether I have a penchant of Manchester United player, it doesn't affect my opinion that Cantona's all-round shootings are usually accurate. Thank you Knightrider.

Also, obviously I am comparing Shearer to other premiership players. A comparison can only be meaningful when the obstacles they are facing are similar. In premiership it is a culture that defenders should not allow forwards to have space and time to shoot with ease. No point comparing players of other leagues to Shearer.

Quality... especially as you can see I've mentioned Van Nistelrooy.  :lol:

Good. So care to explain why by mentioning Cantona I must love Man U?

It was a bit of sensationalising lad christ.  :roll:

But to say Cantona's finishing was as good as Shearer's as I've said is very short sighted due to the amount of difference between the goals both players scored during their careers. Andy Cole at us was sensational but his finishing didn't seem to be as good when he was at Man Yoo for whatever reason.

One goal for me that proves the genius of Shearer's finishing has to be away at Chelsea in '96, absolutely brilliant finish.

What a stupid argument..  If scoring penalties was so easy then teams would just rotate who takes them, there's a reason why teams have a penalty taker.

Let's face it, penalties are not hard to score. If you put me in front of Given there's a good chance I'd hit the back of the net.

Absolute crap, yeah I'm sure when you take pens in the park against your mates its not that hard.  But try taking a penalty with thousands of people watching and putting there faith in you to score what is considered an easy chance..  Try taking a penalty for your country knowing your entire nation is watching you and that the next thing you do will make you a hero or a national target.  its anything but easy.  If you took 50 pens in Premiership games I'd bet you'd miss 40 of them and so would I.

but you can be a good pen taker without being a good striker is the point

but you can be a good striker without being a good penalty taker,

you can be a good striker without being a good header of the ball,

you can be a good striker without being a good goal poacher,

you can be a good striker without being good in dead ball situations,

etc.

Why are goals scored using one skill regarded as legitimate but goals scored because of another skill dismissed?

I've already mentioned the players who take penalties, but don't play up front. If you're counting them just as much as a shot or a header, do you genuinely believe Gareth Barry to be one of the most prolific goalscorers in the Premiership? Would you advocate signing him and playing him up front? He'd surely get more that way, might be a 20 goal a season striker in the making... if we get a lot of penalties that is.

Good. I should have known that you are just another irresponsible poster in this board.

But to say Cantona's finishing was as good as Shearer's as I've said is very short sighted due to the amount of difference between the goals both players scored during their careers. Andy Cole at us was sensational but his finishing didn't seem to be as good when he was at Man Yoo for whatever reason.

How many year has Cantona had in Premiership, and how many years has Shearer had? And is Cantona out and out striker ala Cantona?

One goal for me that proves the genius of Shearer's finishing has to be away at Chelsea in '96, absolutely brilliant finish.

Cantona has had a lot more genius and classy goal than Shearer.

Good. I should have known that you are just another irresponsible poster in this board.

How many year has Cantona had in Premiership, and how many years has Shearer had? And is Cantona out and out striker ala Cantona?

Cantona has had a lot more genius and classy goal than Shearer.

Pele also played in the same position as Cantona though mate and scored over 1,000 goals so I don't believe the position argument counts. Cantona was a class finisher I'm not denying that but as I've said I wouldn't class him in the same league as the Shearer's and such due to the sheer amount of times Shearer and co actually put the ball in the back of the net.

If you mentioned Cantona then I'd also feel inclined to mention the likes of Le Tissier who with Cantona in their own right scored many brilliant goals but didn't have the sheer number of goals to be classed as great finishers. As I've said I've saw Shearer do things only he could do, then I've saw Cantona do things that he could also only do that Shearer couldn't with such things as his vision, his flicks and tricks to bring other people into play.

That Shearer goal I was on about was an example as if you look at it, the narrowness of the angle he had, no it wasn't as eye catch as say Cantona's chip vs The Mackems or his volley versus Palace but I just thought it was fantastic as it should Shearer's callus and calculation and in front of goal, the same with his 2nd versus the Dutch, he barely had any of the goal to aim at with Van Der Sar flying down at him, but managed to hit it at such an acute angle to get it where he did where most people would have just hit it straight at Van Der Sar. Those are the little things I notice which seperate the good from the great strikers. Great players like Shearer make those finishes look easy when my god they aren't.

You see we both appreciate genius, but just in different forms.  :thup:

Then again what would I know due to my irresponsibleness.  bluedead.gif

To be fair you do go on about Manchester United a lot, in all honesty there was a time I actually thought you were a Man U supporter.

I've already mentioned the players who take penalties, but don't play up front. If you're counting them just as much as a shot or a header, do you genuinely believe Gareth Barry to be one of the most prolific goalscorers in the Premiership? Would you advocate signing him and playing him up front? He'd surely get more that way, might be a 20 goal a season striker in the making... if we get a lot of penalties that is.

It means he's good at penalties, one good attribute of a striker, it doesn't necessarily mean that he would make a good striker.  So he's good at penalties.  His heading, movement, general finishing, strength etc. probably aren't good enough for him to play up front. 

All attributes need to be considered.  Goals scored by using any of them are valid but if a striker were to rely too heavily on only one (as Barry presumably would), it is unlikely that he will be a good goalscorer.

No No No. Penalties should never be included. Sure, you have to kick the ball past the keeper and into the goal but it's otherwise not a real goal. Pretend like.

Set Pieces?! Pah... Since when have set pieces ever been "real" goals!? Corners, free kicks... all nonsense. Anyone can score from a free kick or corner, got nothing to do with being a good forward like. Look at Phil Neville for Everton yesterday! He wasn't jammy as F*** just completely inevitable he scored because it was a set piece. It's not as if the best attacking teams in the world ie Argentina, Brazil, Barcelona, can punish opponents and use set pieces to their advantage due to their sublime attacking skills or anything is it? Sunderland are just as good!

While we're on the subject. HEADERS. Why the F*** are these counted? Not to mention deflections... Oi you who is counting Shearer's goals, knock off all those deflections. Oh.. and those that are kicked into the ground first that bobble over the keeper - goal MY ARSE! Also, if the keeper is out of the net... those don't count either.

As for goals scored in the six yard box. Give me a break. Anyone can score them, just tap them f***ing in! They don't count either! In fact, only goals scored in open play, with no deflection and kicked cleanly with his right foot should past a goalkeeper standing in the middle of the goal (that doesn't make a mistake) should be rightfully counted as legit.