How prolific was Shearer

Guest POWNATS

thinking of the other leading prem scorers,cole,henry,fowler,ferdinand,fat eddie murphy,owen,yorke,wright....all were regular penalty takers,(probably andy cole taking the least),so if prolific means scorong more than everyone else,then aye i'd say aye he was prolific.

Guest Ross51288

If it was that easy to score from the penalty spot.......england would probably be world cup winners by now.

WAYHAY!

so true :D

Guest Invicta_Toon

bullshit, someone said recently shearer outscored every partner he ever had. Why do you think that was? Does that make him a better striker? Does it fuck

Very prolific, but penalties still shouldn't count when talking about how good a striker is, and it's ridiculous to say otherwise imo.

There's loads of full backs and midfielders have been their team's penalty takers at times over the years (Gareth Barry, Denis Irwin, Stuart Pearce off the top of my head) but if they got ten goals a season from the spot, I still wouldn't stick the fuckers up front.

Gareth Barry has scored 5 penalties this season, that would probably have been 6 had he taken the one against Reading that Angel scored early in the season. He's currently on 8 goals for the season (7 league) which puts him joint 5th in the Premiership goalscoring chart, level with Obafemi Martins, Andy Johnson and Darren Bent. Anyone want him up front... or does he just take the penalties?

If every team got the same amount of penalties every season, it can count. Otherwise it's a totally arbitrary figure.

Being able to take penalties is a skill, a string to the bow of a striker.  Some strikers are good at it (eg Shearer) and some are not (eg Owen).  Taking the recognition of this attribute away when evaluating the goalscoring ability of a striker is as unfair as removing tap ins or goals scored against relegation-threatened sides or goals scored in the later stages of games after coming on as a substitute IMO.

what's more difficult- to score from the penalty spot....ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.....to score a tap-in into an empty net from 5 yards?

That's an excellent point actually.

And Wullie - totally disagree. He's still got to put it in the back of the net, hasn't he. ;-)

Guest Invicta_Toon

Barry scores another penalty. 8 league goals for the season. As good as Rooney tbh.

he's outscored every single one of his scoring partners this year  blueyes.gif

What a stupid argument..  If scoring penalties was so easy then teams would just rotate who takes them, there's a reason why teams have a penalty taker.

Let's face it, penalties are not hard to score. If you put me in front of Given there's a good chance I'd hit the back of the net.

Absolute crap, yeah I'm sure when you take pens in the park against your mates its not that hard.  But try taking a penalty with thousands of people watching and putting there faith in you to score what is considered an easy chance..  Try taking a penalty for your country knowing your entire nation is watching you and that the next thing you do will make you a hero or a national target.  its anything but easy.  If you took 50 pens in Premiership games I'd bet you'd miss 40 of them and so would I.

Guest Invicta_Toon

What a stupid argument..  If scoring penalties was so easy then teams would just rotate who takes them, there's a reason why teams have a penalty taker.

Let's face it, penalties are not hard to score. If you put me in front of Given there's a good chance I'd hit the back of the net.

Absolute crap, yeah I'm sure when you take pens in the park against your mates its not that hard.  But try taking a penalty with thousands of people watching and putting there faith in you to score what is considered an easy chance..   Try taking a penalty for your country knowing your entire nation is watching you and that the next thing you do will make you a hero or a national target.  its anything but easy.  If you took 50 pens in Premiership games I'd bet you'd miss 40 of them and so would I.

but you can be a good pen taker without being a good striker is the point

Absolute crap, yeah I'm sure when you take pens in the park against your mates its not that hard.  But try taking a penalty with thousands of people watching and putting there faith in you to score what is considered an easy chance..  Try taking a penalty for your country knowing your entire nation is watching you and that the next thing you do will make you a hero or a national target.  its anything but easy.  If you took 50 pens in Premiership games I'd bet you'd miss 40 of them and so would I.

Exactly. And a crap striker can quite easily end up with 10-15 league goals, just because he takes the penalties.

Edit: wish he'd just taken that one though. :lol:

Absolute crap, yeah I'm sure when you take pens in the park against your mates its not that hard.  But try taking a penalty with thousands of people watching and putting there faith in you to score what is considered an easy chance..   Try taking a penalty for your country knowing your entire nation is watching you and that the next thing you do will make you a hero or a national target.  its anything but easy.  If you took 50 pens in Premiership games I'd bet you'd miss 40 of them and so would I.

but you can be a good striker without being a good penalty taker,

you can be a good striker without being a good header of the ball,

you can be a good striker without being a good goal poacher,

you can be a good striker without being good in dead ball situations,

etc.

Why are goals scored using one skill regarded as legitimate but goals scored because of another skill dismissed?

Guest Knightrider

Fuck me, a debate on how prolific Shearer was or whether he was THAT prolific... :lol:

206 goals in 405 games, need I say more.

Exactly. And a crap striker can quite easily end up with 10-15 league goals, just because he takes the penalties.

Edit: wish he'd just taken that one though. :lol:

bluelaugh.gif at the edit

Guest Knightrider

BTW taking pens is not easy, it is a well known fact that scoring from a dead ball is a lot harder than scoring from a moving ball. Pens are a skill just like free-kicks and corners, and even goalkicks. That's why England are crap at pens because we don't treat dead ball situations as a skill form. We consider pens akin to basic shooting which is wrong because its not.

And that's only for us, when he was allegedly passed his best for 9 out the 10 seasons he was here.

over 90 league goals in three consecutive seasons at any level is ridiculous... let alone in one of the top leagues in the world.

Guest Knightrider

And that's only for us, when he was allegedly passed his best for 9 out the 10 seasons he was here.

over 90 league goals in three consecutive seasons at any level ridiculous... let alone in one of the top leagues in the world.

Exactly. The man's ability in front of goal is second to none. He's in that rare category of strikers who if presented with two chances, would bury one and force a save with another.

Off the top of my head, in my lifetime, I can't think of many strikers as accurate with their all-round shooting than Shearer.

Two yards or 30 yards, in the air or from free-kicks, pens or left footers, volleys or in off the thigh - he 9 times out of 10 hit the target.

Off the top of my head, in my lifetime, I can't think of many strikers as accurate with their all-round shooting than Shearer.

Henry? Cantona? If you only counted in the box you have RVN, Andy Cole etc.

Not that I am undermining Shearer's achievement.