The Board etc. etc.

NE5

Anyway, back on topic ....

John

There are people here who, for some reason, are only willing to compare the Board against the one of SJH's time. It's all they know. Of course the club has gone backwards since then, the players you listed in your earlier post highlighted that clearly. Nobody is disputing that. Nobody is saying that we shouldn't be comparing current/recent performance against clubs we're trying to catch, because we want to catch them. Nobody is saying they're happy we've won nowt, I've never said that the current Board is great and has made no mistakes, of course they've made mistakes.  So have Board's of other clubs, including those were now trying to catch....again.

I don't know what gets into people's heads on this forum when it comes to people making comments about previous decades in the club's history. I've nowt against people who started going to matches in the 90's, my own son did 'cos that's when he became old enough. The people who started going in the early 90's when SJH was Chairman and KK manager should realise that they've seen some great football, we've come close and the disappointment is huge for everbody. What these people don't want to listen to is that those of us who have put up with winning nowt for decades haven't even had the pleasure of watching a decent team, a team that was good enough to even come close. That was life under a shite Board.  It could easily go back to being like that.

That's all the thread is about, trying to get across to people that it wouldn't be automatic that any replacement for the current lot would be an improvement. Making that statement doesn't mean I'm happy, doesn't mean I don't want improvement and doesn't mean I think the present lot are fantastic and that they couldn't be bettered. It makes me laugh that some appear to think that's what I'm saying, they couldn't be more wrong, I'm desperate for us to win something, to win the league sometime in my lifetime. My disappointment that we've won nowt is absolutely huge, I suspect I'm going to die without seeing us win another trophy, which is something I thought right through until SJH turned the club around. Then we took off and I believed we would do it, to say I'm gutted that we haven't doesn't even come close.

The present Board show the ambition ( whether they have the ability is another question ) and want the club to win things. By replacing them there is every chance it could be worse and some of us don't want to go back there. It is shite.

All I'm saying is that those who want the current Board removed should be careful what they wish for.

Good post and a post that I agree with from first line to 2nd last, I would guess that even the bits I don't agree with are not poles apart from what you feel.

....... seeing as it is what both of us, and bobjohnson have been saying all along, you're even slower than I've came to realise.

Does the current board really show ambition or do they make seemingly ambitious moves just to get arses on seats, regardless whether it's best for the team or not?

oh dear.

If you don't want to park your arse on the seat, nobody is forcing you to.

The fact that someone else will quickly park their arse in your place should provide an answer for you , unless you just don't read anything by anybody

The only way to provide a quality team is to bring in quality footballers, sometimes you find them cheaply ie Rob Lee, Zoggy and sometimes you have to pay top dollar.

EDIT. Paying top dollar, sends out signals of intent, to the football world and your top players that you have. This is ambition. If you don't show this, they go, and you go downwards, this is how the club used to be run. Now it is run like a proper top club. You will never be successful and set out a successful platform without paying top dollar for the top players, despite what macbeth thinks, and despite Grassroots assertion that the club has "always backed their managers" the funniest thing he has probably ever said, particularly as he doesn't really believe it.

....... seeing as it is what both of us, and bobjohnson have been saying all along, you're even slower than I've came to realise.

It was a good post without your rubbish in it, you seem unable to write a post like that.

It was a good post without your rubbish in it, you seem unable to write a post like that.

:lol:

well you certainly couldn't

I expect it will wash straight over your head though and you'll be back to your usual rubbish tomorrow.

Have you answered my questions yet ?

I expect it will wash straight over your head though and you'll be back to your usual rubbish tomorrow.

No, I'll just create loads of pointless topics and get banned.  I'm only joking of course, nobody is daft enough to do that, are they?

No, I'll just create loads of pointless topics and get banned.  I'm only joking of course, nobody is daft enough to do that, are they?

Thought you wouldn't answer them  :lol: BTW, see my post nr 359 in this thread which is similar, but before you do, take a few more reading lessons.

You didn't answer them because you know I decimated your points don't you  :lol:

Not to mention then complain about it on their own little forum  blueyes.gif

Btw NE5, you might want to know that Norther Monkey is back despite his promises to stay away  :lol:

This will be my last ever ever ever post in this thread.

aaahhh....as this is a mature board, and you answer questions, are you going to point me to where I said I wasn't going to post again  :lol:

Your avoidance of such questions, like the last ones - again - is a scream  :lol:

Thought you wouldn't answer them  :lol: BTW, see my post nr 359 in this thread which is similar, but before you do, take a few more reading lessons.

You didn't answer them because you know I decimated your points don't you  :lol:

I've just read the first line again and it reminded me why I didn't read it in the first place, I stopped reading when you were crowing on about your cyber emotion monitor and how the poster you were replying to wasn’t half as pissed off as you.

What was your question again?

Guest Knightrider

aaahhh....as this is a mature board, and you answer questions, are you going to point me to where I said I wasn't going to post again  :lol:

Your avoidance of such questions, like the last ones - again - is a scream  :lol:

You win, can't be arsed. Gan canny :thup:

This really IS my lastest ever ever ever post in this thread. Knock yourself out NE5, floor's yours.

I've just read the first line again and it reminded me why I didn't read it in the first place, I stopped reading when you were crowing on about your cyber emotion monitor and how the poster you were replying to wasn’t half as pissed off as you.

What was your question again?

tsch tsch, your memory, its been playing havoc with you for decades it seems.

Your avoidance of such questions, like the last ones - again - is a scream   :lol:

You win, can't be arsed. Gan canny :thup:

This really IS my lastest ever ever ever post in this thread. Knock yourself out NE5, floor's yours.

does it have to end like this

Guest elbee909

There are people here who, for some reason, are only willing to compare the Board against the one of SJH's time. It's all they know.

The main reason is that the state of play between the SJH times and the current period in terms of income, fanbase, global marketing etc. is very similar.  Comparing post-SKY to pre-SKY is possible, sure, but it's not as valid.

That was life under a shite Board.  It could easily go back to being like that.

That's all the thread is about, trying to get across to people that it wouldn't be automatic that any replacement for the current lot would be an improvement.

Completely agreed on this front, and have said as much previously. 

So how about if the current board got some objective advisors in key positions to help forge a long term plan, adopt a director of football, that sort of thing?  Fair compromise would be to keep them on for the good they've done but to appoint objective elements to the board to ensure good and fair practice.

Why don't they do that?  If they had proper ambition and respect for the club and the fans, surely they would?

The present Board show the ambition ( whether they have the ability is another question ) and want the club to win things. By replacing them there is every chance it could be worse and some of us don't want to go back there. It is shite.

All I'm saying is that those who want the current Board removed should be careful what they wish for.

No-one wishes it to be worse.

Guest elbee909

Wish people would just stop the bickering and argue properly, the childish stuff from people old enough to be my dad is just detracting from the point.

There are people here who, for some reason, are only willing to compare the Board against the one of SJH's time. It's all they know.

The main reason is that the state of play between the SJH times and the current period in terms of income, fanbase, global marketing etc. is very similar.  Comparing post-SKY to pre-SKY is possible, sure, but it's not as valid.

That was life under a shite Board.  It could easily go back to being like that.

That's all the thread is about, trying to get across to people that it wouldn't be automatic that any replacement for the current lot would be an improvement.

Completely agreed on this front, and have said as much previously. 

So how about if the current board got some objective advisors in key positions to help forge a long term plan, adopt a director of football, that sort of thing?  Fair compromise would be to keep them on for the good they've done but to appoint objective elements to the board to ensure good and fair practice.

Why don't they do that?  If they had proper ambition and respect for the club and the fans, surely they would?

No-one wishes it to be worse.

Why is comparing pre and post Sky not as valid? It was the same for all clubs?

Re the last bit.

Ok, fair enough, I undersand nobody really wishes it to be worse, but many people posting here want the Board out because they don't believe it ever was worse, or could be worse again. It has been, and it could be again. That's the whole point, mate.

Guest elbee909

It's more to do with comparing the abilities of boards that found themselves in similar conditions.  So a comparison between the current board and say, that of McKeag's is a less valid comparison than with SJH's due to the economic climate, the relative popularity of football, money bandied about etc.  It's not to say we can't compare them at all, but recency is always what people tend towards when making comparisons.  Roeder will be compared far more to Souness than to Keegan, I'm sure.

Re the last bit.

Ok, fair enough, I undersand nobody really wishes it to be worse, but many people posting here want the Board out because they don't believe it ever was worse, or could be worse again. It has been, and it could be again. That's the whole point, mate.

It could be, and totally see your point.  However, by the same token, tolerating a deterioration in the quality of the board as we can roughly agree to have seen in recent times won't help things get any better.

I'm the last one to recommend changing the board for any old Tom, Dick and Harry.  However, if this board has nothing to hide and are confident in their competence then they shouldn't be too concerned about getting some objective members in positions that might regulate against possible cronyism/nepotism.  At the moment it's not far from a quango.

Hell, they should appoint some experienced and successful individuals to the board just to dispel any doubt, would be a small price to pay for some peace of mind and a bit more expertise.  That is, if they have nothing to worry about and can put pride aside for the good of the club.

You certainly are the best DJ in N-O. What a whole load of stinking rubbish. Argue as you like, stop speaking on others' behalf and then blame them. Trully Pathetic.

You will never be successful and set out a successful platform without paying top dollar for the top players, despite what macbeth thinks, and despite Grassroots assertion that the club has "always backed their managers" the funniest thing he has probably ever said, particularly as he doesn't really believe it.

Oh dear there was me thinking you could express your own opinion rather than putting words in to my mouth. If I needed you to speak for me I would create a name of "NE5 version of Macbeth".

You really should stop saying things like "despite what macbeth thinks" it just makes you look like a 14 year old rather than the sad old man you are showing yourself to be.

I will make my own comments thank you. Or maybe you would recommend that we all start saying " NE5 version of things" and make up really really stupid comments on your behalf. The problem we'd all have is that we'd never be able to reach the stupidity of the original  :winking:

Anyway, back on topic ....

John

There are people here who, for some reason, are only willing to compare the Board against the one of SJH's time. It's all they know. Of course the club has gone backwards since then, the players you listed in your earlier post highlighted that clearly. Nobody is disputing that. Nobody is saying that we shouldn't be comparing current/recent performance against clubs we're trying to catch, because we want to catch them. Nobody is saying they're happy we've won nowt, I've never said that the current Board is great and has made no mistakes, of course they've made mistakes.  So have Board's of other clubs, including those we are now trying to catch....again.

I don't know what gets into people's heads on this forum when it comes to people making comments about previous decades in the club's history. I've nowt against people who started going to matches in the 90's, my own son did 'cos that's when he became old enough. The people who started going in the early 90's when SJH was Chairman and KK manager should realise that they've seen some great football, we've come close and the disappointment is huge for everbody. What these people don't want to listen to is that those of us who have put up with winning nowt for decades haven't even had the pleasure of watching a decent team, a team that was good enough to even come close. That was life under a shite Board.  It could easily go back to being like that.

That's all the thread is about, trying to get across to people that it wouldn't be automatic that any replacement for the current lot would be an improvement. Making that statement doesn't mean I'm happy, doesn't mean I don't want improvement and doesn't mean I think the present lot are fantastic and that they couldn't be bettered. It makes me laugh that some appear to think that's what I'm saying, they couldn't be more wrong, I'm desperate for us to win something, to win the league sometime in my lifetime. My disappointment that we've won nowt is absolutely huge, I suspect I'm going to die without seeing us win another trophy, which is something I thought right through until SJH turned the club around. Then we took off and I believed we would do it, to say I'm gutted that we haven't doesn't even come close.

That post covers all of our views. We all want success.

The differences are that many are concerned that the current board are now showing every sign of not really knowing how to take us forward. For me it is the financial side that highlights this, for others it is the more visible league position, and cup performancese .

You are right to be concerned that in our history there have been some bad, bad times and that a return to that is a possinility. For some of us the concern is that in an Animal Farm sort of way the liberating pigs have tuned into greedy incomepetent humans

It's more to do with comparing the abilities of boards that found themselves in similar conditions.  So a comparison between the current board and say, that of McKeag's is a less valid comparison than with SJH's due to the economic climate, the relative popularity of football, money bandied about etc.  It's not to say we can't compare them at all, but recency is always what people tend towards when making comparisons.  Roeder will be compared far more to Souness than to Keegan, I'm sure.

Re the last bit.

It could be, and totally see your point.  However, by the same token, tolerating a deterioration in the quality of the board as we can roughly agree to have seen in recent times won't help things get any better.

I'm the last one to recommend changing the board for any old Tom, Dick and Harry.  However, if this board has nothing to hide and are confident in their competence then they shouldn't be too concerned about getting some objective members in positions that might regulate against possible cronyism/nepotism.  At the moment it's not far from a quango.

Hell, they should appoint some experienced and successful individuals to the board just to dispel any doubt, would be a small price to pay for some peace of mind and a bit more expertise.  That is, if they have nothing to worry about and can put pride aside for the good of the club.

We'll have to agree to disagree about the merits of comparing the present board with boards of previous decades due to Sky revenue etc.

The economic climate was the same for all clubs, they all had the same opportunity to tap the potential of their support, but our Board didn't.

Football was always popular, we attracted huge crowds for those cup ties I mentioned earlier, and for Fairs Cup ties because people were excited by the chance to win a cup by just stringing a few results together in a single competition. People weren't excited by the our ambitions in the league. Had the Board had the ambition to make a challenge in the league I believe people would have flocked to the stadium and we'd have seen those huge attendances become commonplace, as they are now.

You certainly are the best DJ in N-O. What a whole load of stinking rubbish. Argue as you like, stop speaking on others' behalf and then blame them. Trully Pathetic.

Nice contribution there, like. Walk tall.

You will never be successful and set out a successful platform without paying top dollar for the top players, despite what macbeth thinks, and despite Grassroots assertion that the club has "always backed their managers" the funniest thing he has probably ever said, particularly as he doesn't really believe it.

Oh dear there was me thinking you could express your own opinion rather than putting words in to my mouth. If I needed you to speak for me I would create a name of "NE5 version of Macbeth".

You really should stop saying things like "despite what macbeth thinks" it just makes you look like a 14 year old rather than the sad old man you are showing yourself to be.

I will make my own comments thank you. Or maybe you would recommend that we all start saying " NE5 version of things" and make up really really stupid comments on your behalf. The problem we'd all have is that we'd never be able to reach the stupidity of the original  :winking:

In actual fact, my reference to you was deliberate and intended to be a statement taken on board. Despite what you think, and I am going by what you suggest on this board or have suggested, no club has ever been successful without paying top dollar for players, taking a risk on a player above budget because he is worth it, or in the judgement of your manager that he will be worth it from a footballing point of view, and reap bigger rewards.

Your immature jibe, which is what THAT is, does you no credit, particularly as I am still waiting for the reply to comments I asked you concerning your dads view of the old board pre-1964 as it was before I started the club, which I am/was quite prepared to take on board rather than argue the toss through not being there myself. But then again, I already suspected you knew you had lost the plot ....... having been proved wrong, and of telling porkies. Whatever.

And BTW, I'm the same age as Glenn Roeder

Nice contribution there, like. Walk tall.

Amazing how some people's contribution to this subject is limited to saying how pathetic it is, or how bored they are, then the most they can offer is a brief pathetic reply of no substance whatsoever, which hardly lends weight to the fact that they think they know best

Not to mention then complain about it on their own little forum  blueyes.gif

Btw NE5, you might want to know that Norther Monkey is back despite his promises to stay away  :lol:

Did you miss me? Bless your little backward heart.

I came on to check something, since you are so interested, and there were a few threads full of such rank stupidity even I couldn't resist. Don't worry, though, i'm only passing through occasionally - there's too much blind sycophancy and blinkered ass-kissing for my liking.