The Board etc. etc.

NE5

The sales of Gazza and Beardsley brought in British transfer records, it's a long time since we did that.

From the Chelsea's of their day too... It would be interesting to see whether for example we could keep a hold of N'Zogbia if Arsenal or Chelsea were to show an interest. I doubt it. We couldn't keep a hold of Woodgate when Real come knocking, although in hindsight that was a great deal.

Anyway, IIRC neither Gazza nor Beardsley wanted out, or handed a transfer request in, Gazza didn't even know he was leaving until it was all done, his agent took him away from us and we nor he could turn down the money, he even says in his book had he stayed maybe fortunes would have been different for him and NUFC. Not exactly sure what happened to Beardsley, I think with him once Liverpool showed up there was no going back, trophies on a plate, but it's not as if he courted a move or handed in a transfer request. Again, I'd like to see us keep a hold of N'Zogbia if Arsenal or Chelsea came in for him.

Waddle, not so sure, never liked him anyway, always thought him to be a bit of a snide and people who've met him say he's a false Geordie, i.e. when it suits him, bit like Steve Bruce.

I bet those slagging the old board for selling Gazza et al weren't slagging them when we signed KK, the equivalent of an 8m signing today, and we were a second division club back then. How many 1st Division sides signed the then England Captain? He turned down Man Utd for us and we paid him mega wages at the time. Is that not ambition?

Waddle isn't a false Geordie, he's a mackem, at least in the sense of supporting Sunderland.

Waddle left for the money and because he couldn't get on with Jack Charlton.

Its the same arguments for each side all over again. This has been going on

for at least six months now. HTL and NE5, why you give a **** if some people

wont change their opinions about this matter? You go on like crusaders ffs.

I think way too much effort is put in this. For once it would be nice to hear HTL' and NE5's opinions

on some other stuff on the board. Now its limited to this, and the odd

Luque is crap comments. I'm sure you'd both have a lot more to contribute. :roll:

Err aye.

Q. Why aren't you directing your question to the people who claim the Board is crap? I've never yet started the subject off, it's always in reply to someone else making a false claim.

Well, you're right, it should be also directed to HTT, Mick, Macbeth et al, but at least for them this is just a small part of what they write, whereas for you and NE5 this seems to be all you ever write about.

I'm not trying to tell you what to write and what not to write. Suit yourself. Just my observation for what its worth. bluecool.gif

That's because I'm a parody, mate, I've given up quite a while ago. Hardly anybody wants to debate, they just want to try to sound smart, or something.  bluedead.gif

Guest Knightrider

The sales of Gazza and Beardsley brought in British transfer records, it's a long time since we did that.

From the Chelsea's of their day too... It would be interesting to see whether for example we could keep a hold of N'Zogbia if Arsenal or Chelsea were to show an interest. I doubt it. We couldn't keep a hold of Woodgate when Real come knocking, although in hindsight that was a great deal.

Anyway, IIRC neither Gazza nor Beardsley wanted out, or handed a transfer request in, Gazza didn't even know he was leaving until it was all done, his agent took him away from us and we nor he could turn down the money, he even says in his book had he stayed maybe fortunes would have been different for him and NUFC. Not exactly sure what happened to Beardsley, I think with him once Liverpool showed up there was no going back, trophies on a plate, but it's not as if he courted a move or handed in a transfer request. Again, I'd like to see us keep a hold of N'Zogbia if Arsenal or Chelsea came in for him.

Waddle, not so sure, never liked him anyway, always thought him to be a bit of a snide and people who've met him say he's a false Geordie, i.e. when it suits him, bit like Steve Bruce.

I bet those slagging the old board for selling Gazza et al weren't slagging them when we signed KK, the equivalent of an 8m signing today, and we were a second division club back then. How many 1st Division sides signed the then England Captain? He turned down Man Utd for us and we paid him mega wages at the time. Is that not ambition?

Waddle isn't a false Geordie, he's a mackem, at least in the sense of supporting Sunderland.

How do you know, were you there? Get that from your history books?

;)

How do you know, were you there? Get that from your history books?

;)

Shit, I've been rumbled.

I'm only taking the credit for that one as it will make people think that I can actually read.

An open question to anybody....

How would you feel if after we were promoted and finished 3rd, that instead of signing players as we did our top 3 players all demanded transfers and left claiming the club has no ambition? Those players then subsequently being replaced by older and inferior players? Would you believe the board to be unambitious and so slag them off for being shit? Just your opinion will do.

I'd be horrified.

But I was horrified at us selling two Young Players of the Year too. The PR spin was better at the club with both Bellamy and Jenas so that we viewed it as being justifiable.

At teh time I was also horrified at the sale of Robbie Elliot

Whether someone was a young player of the year is irrelevant.

Selling Jenas was fantastic, glad he couldn't hack it at a big club. Selling Bellamy was down to the lack of managerial ability of Souness, but then everybody knows these things already, so I don't know why you're mentioning them.

I was also pissed off at the sale of Elliott, but that was the managers decision, not the player.  I don't know why you're mentioning that either.

Cheers for now

In my time supporting the club we've sold all of the following:

Clark

Elliott

Watson

(3 Geordies with potential at the time)

Big Dunc

Speed

Cole

Sir Les

Tino

Ginola

Woodgate

Bellamy (former PFA young player of the year)

Robert

Jenas (former PFA young player of the year)

Viana (former European young player of the year)

Compared to Waddle, Beardsley and Gazza, that's a lot of players, top players.

Conclusion? Clubs sell players, to balance the books, to ship out unhappy players, players get tapped up, players prove too hot to handle, life is a cycle.

Get over it, move on.

Don't you mean get over it, turn the page? Mate?

bluebiggrin.gif bluebiggrin.gif

Gan back to stealing cars, you have to know more about that than Newcastle United.

Andy Cole.

Yes I know, it was a while ago like I said.

We would sell any of our current players if we were offered a British record.

Would that make us a selling club?

What defines a selling club?

It'll take more than £30m to prize Amady Faye away, make no mistake.

Bloody hell. My sides are splitting, your jokes are just so funny.

Guest Knightrider

Gan back to stealing cars, you have to know more about that than Newcastle United.

To the world, since HTL has brought it up, I once, in my Teens, stole a car. 10 years ago almost to be precise.

My sincere apologies to all car owners and motorists.

I assure everyone I'm a reformed character now.

I hope no-one holds it against me or brings it up in every post  :roll:

To the world, since HTL has brought it up, I once, in my Teens, stole a car. 10 years ago almost to be precise.

My sincere apologies to all car owners and motorists.

I assure everyone I'm a reformed character now.

I hope no-one holds it against me or brings it up in every post  :roll:

Keep posting while I go and put the car away.

You don't understand,Yes I do it isn't a case of someone disagreeing with me, I am posting facts . Unless someone posts that we did differently during the 1960's, 70's and 80's - and the facts posted about other clubs who we have overtaken ... you can't disagree. I never have

If I think Luque is shit, that is an opinion, others think he is not, thats an opinion. Of course it is So I disagree, this is totally different to putting across the clubs history. What has Luque got to do with things that happens 50 years ago??

I'm not questioning your intelligence Yes you were or anyone else's, just that you - or whoever - are simply not prepared to accept facts. Of course I can??

As has been stated, the Luque posts bore me stupid, as do others. Me included No one forces you to read them. As I supported the club during the 60's, 70's and 80's I would like to see posts about this period but unfortunately there are only a small amount of people who are up on it because they were also there. Or just perhaps they don't see the relevance of how the club was run back then as compared to 2006??Some people might be interested in the clubs history, I am some may not. Each to their own.

However,  I consider the slating of the current board I never have when it arises to be current and topical, and think a comparison with their predecessors and the fortunes of boards of other clubs to be part of the overall picture, taking into account the realism of knife edge competitive top level football, when judging their merits.

To that degree, if someone posts opinions , is it not right that they should back them up with facts where possible ? Not necessarily And not ignore alternative facts if provided ? Which is what tends to happen, as has happened here with Micks comments about the building of the East Stand, the World Cup grants in 1966, and comments by him and others about the selling of our major players, support to managers, ambition of the club, and subsequent poor and often disastrous league positions during three decades prior to 1992. As far as I can ascertain the only people interested are yourself and HTL...

To be perfectly fair - you've either missed my point or ignored it.

Were you part of the board of directors during the 60's, 70's and 80's?? If, as I suspect, you weren't - how do you know so much about the reasons why they came to the decisions they eventually did? Did you read about them in the newspaper? Do you believe everything you read in the newspapers of today? How could you possibly be in a position to know the dynamics of the board and the situations they found themselves in?

Were you privvy to the innermost feelings of the players of the time or did you believe every word they said to the local rags?

The only fact I know is that you may have stood on the terraces at the time but you knew **** all about the workings of the club. Neither did I. You are merely stating your precious opinion as your interpretation of what you were told and passing it off as 'fact'. I'm pretty sure you're spot on about some of the things you pontificate to us mere mortals about, but the majority is just your opinion.

As i've already stated, I agree with a lot of what you actually post but the tone of your posts sickens me to be perfectly honest. You're an extremley patronising and old chap aren't you? Am I glad I don't sit in front of you at matches... :roll:

Rant over.  :cool:

In that case I suggest you and your barmy mates all shut up about the current Board. Since I doubt any of you are on the current Board you obviously don't have the first idea of why they take the decisions they do and you and your mates have no idea of whether they are doing a good job or not.

I suppose you'll tell me, "that's different".

You’re absolutely correct – I’m not on the current board. Neither are you. You don’t know what goes on in the boardroom and neither do I. You never knew and neither did I. You obviously experienced their decisions and formed an opinion. So did your fucking bellend of a mate. How you interpreted the decisions of the board is up to you. Just don’t go slinging shit every other cunt who disagrees with you. So you stood on the terraces in the 60’s and 70’s??? So fuck? Does that mean whatever you say is correct? You and that cunt of a mate of yours are giving your own personal opinions of the decisions of the board. You have your points of view and others have theirs. They’re entitled to them and so are you. Doesn’t mean you are right and they are wrong and vice versa.

P.S. while I’m on a bit of a rant…Why the fuck do you pair of scum-sucking pig fuckers continue to patronise the living daylights out of the rest of us??  You’re not stupid by any stretch but your condescending attitude to the opinions of others is fucking staggering. You bore the cheese from our cock-ends and then cry like fucking babies when you’re questioned. I just wish to fuck that the pair of you would somehow, miraculously, change the fucking record and realise you’re living in 2006 and not the fucking 60’s. Things are different. Just because you’re old doesn’t mean you’re right. Learn some fucking tolerance you miserable set of cunts. You fucking disgust me, you fucking cunts.

Now that's fucking different. Fucking prick. 

You don't understand,Yes I do it isn't a case of someone disagreeing with me, I am posting facts . Unless someone posts that we did differently during the 1960's, 70's and 80's - and the facts posted about other clubs who we have overtaken ... you can't disagree. I never have

If I think Luque is shit, that is an opinion, others think he is not, thats an opinion. Of course it is So I disagree, this is totally different to putting across the clubs history. What has Luque got to do with things that happens 50 years ago??

I'm not questioning your intelligence Yes you were or anyone else's, just that you - or whoever - are simply not prepared to accept facts. Of course I can??

As has been stated, the Luque posts bore me stupid, as do others. Me included No one forces you to read them. As I supported the club during the 60's, 70's and 80's I would like to see posts about this period but unfortunately there are only a small amount of people who are up on it because they were also there. Or just perhaps they don't see the relevance of how the club was run back then as compared to 2006??Some people might be interested in the clubs history, I am some may not. Each to their own.

However,  I consider the slating of the current board I never have when it arises to be current and topical, and think a comparison with their predecessors and the fortunes of boards of other clubs to be part of the overall picture, taking into account the realism of knife edge competitive top level football, when judging their merits.

To that degree, if someone posts opinions , is it not right that they should back them up with facts where possible ? Not necessarily And not ignore alternative facts if provided ? Which is what tends to happen, as has happened here with Micks comments about the building of the East Stand, the World Cup grants in 1966, and comments by him and others about the selling of our major players, support to managers, ambition of the club, and subsequent poor and often disastrous league positions during three decades prior to 1992. As far as I can ascertain the only people interested are yourself and HTL...

Were you part of the board of directors during the 60's, 70's and 80's?? If, as I suspect, you weren't - how do you know so much about the reasons why they came to the decisions they eventually did? Did you read about them in the newspaper? Do you believe everything you read in the newspapers of today? How could you possibly be in a position to know the dynamics of the board and the situations they found themselves in?

Were you privvy to the innermost feelings of the players of the time or did you believe every word they said to the local rags?

The only fact I know is that you may have stood on the terraces at the time but you knew **** all about the workings of the club. Neither did I. You are merely stating your precious opinion as your interpretation of what you were told and passing it off as 'fact'. I'm pretty sure you're spot on about some of the things you pontificate to us mere mortals about, but the majority is just your opinion.

As i've already stated, I agree with a lot of what you actually post but the tone of your posts sickens me to be perfectly honest. You're an extremley patronising and old chap aren't you? Am I glad I don't sit in front of you at matches... :roll:

In that case I suggest you and your barmy mates all shut up about the current Board. Since I doubt any of you are on the current Board you obviously don't have the first idea of why they take the decisions they do and you and your mates have no idea of whether they are doing a good job or not.

You’re absolutely correct – I’m not on the current board. Neither are you. You don’t know what goes on in the boardroom and neither do I. You never knew and neither did I. You obviously experienced their decisions and formed an opinion. So did your fucking bellend of a mate. How you interpreted the decisions of the board is up to you. Just don’t go slinging shit every other cunt who disagrees with you. So you stood on the terraces in the 60’s and 70’s??? So fuck? Does that mean whatever you say is correct? You and that cunt of a mate of yours are giving your own personal opinions of the decisions of the board. You have your points of view and others have theirs. They’re entitled to them and so are you. Doesn’t mean you are right and they are wrong and vice versa.

P.S. while I’m on a bit of a rant…Why the fuck do you pair of scum-sucking pig fuckers continue to patronise the living daylights out of the rest of us??  You’re not stupid by any stretch but your condescending attitude to the opinions of others is fucking staggering. You bore the cheese from our cock-ends and then cry like fucking babies when you’re questioned. I just wish to fuck that the pair of you would somehow, miraculously, change the fucking record and realise you’re living in 2006 and not the fucking 60’s. Things are different. Just because you’re old doesn’t mean you’re right. Learn some fucking tolerance you miserable set of cunts. You fucking disgust me, you fucking cunts.

:lol:

Beautiful.

Such lovely use of the English language.

:clap:

Guest The Fox

This is all unnecessary, particularly the language being used.

Its pointless doing comparisons with the 60's and 70's, football has moved on since then. In those days we were run by a dickensian board.

You can compare today with 10 years ago though.

Personally I would rather compare Newcastle United to the successful clubs rather than saying we are so much better than others, and why not. In terms of capacity we are 2nd only to Man U, 3rd now Arsenal have increased. There is therefore no earthly reason why we cannot be as successful as Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U and Chelsea, although they have the financial clout beyond others.

The most successful period was under Sir John and Kevin Keegan and IMO there is little doubt we have gone backwards since then in terms of squad and performance.

Where we once had Shearer, Ferdinand, Ginola, Beardsley, Albert etc. we now have Ameobi, Luque, Milner, Bramble etc. There is no comparison.

We have increased capacity and made major ground improvements and praise is due for that, however in terms of success on the pitch we have failed. For Freddie Shepherd to continually harp on about what a big club we are the facts do not bear this out. Can you imagine Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U, Real Madrid, Barcelona, AC Milan etc going 70 or 80 years without a league title or 50 years without a cup success. Those are the big clubs.

We are only a big club in terms of capacity, support and passion.

Since KK we have had 4 Managers, excluding Roeder, the only successful Manager has been Robson inthat he pushed us back into the top 3 or 4 for a while. The others were failures for whatever reason. Two looked good on paper and one was an inexplicable appointment. All appointed by Shepherd and his board and 3 failures.

The timing of one or two sackings has been less than ideal, 4 games into a season, and in the case of Souness long after the rot had set in. Souness was not sacked earlier because Shepherd did not want to lose face but the reality of it all was we did not see one top quality performance under him. There does not appear to have been any game plan in having replacements lined up.

We now come to Roeder, a real surprise appointment, who did very well as caretaker in getting us to Europe but has this clouded our vision. No way was he on anyones list and therefore presumably was not rated that highly. The success of Coaches then being appointed Manager at a club is not good. Dinnis and McFaul are two examples at Newcastle, both backed by the players at the time.

Roeder talks a good game and seems to have a sensible head on his shoulders, so he may turn out to be a real success and you have to give him a chance now he's been appointed. His track record however is less than impressive.

Of course the fall back for Shepherd will be Shearer, and no doubt should Roeder fail Freddie will hope to win back  favour with the fans with such an appointment.

I really hope Roeder succeeds  for his own sake, he sems a nice sensible guy, but nice guys dont often win.

Should he fail I would expect Shepherd to disappear from the scene, although he may have other ideas.

We can but wait.

You’re absolutely correct – I’m not on the current board. Neither are you. You don’t know what goes on in the boardroom and neither do I. You never knew and neither did I. You obviously experienced their decisions and formed an opinion. So did your fucking bellend of a mate. How you interpreted the decisions of the board is up to you. Just don’t go slinging shit every other **** who disagrees with you. So you stood on the terraces in the 60’s and 70’s??? So ****? Does that mean whatever you say is correct? You and that **** of a mate of yours are giving your own personal opinions of the decisions of the board. You have your points of view and others have theirs. They’re entitled to them and so are you. Doesn’t mean you are right and they are wrong and vice versa.

P.S. while I’m on a bit of a rant…Why the **** do you pair of scum-sucking pig fuckers continue to patronise the living daylights out of the rest of us??  You’re not stupid by any stretch but your condescending attitude to the opinions of others is fucking staggering. You bore the cheese from our cock-ends and then cry like fucking babies when you’re questioned. I just wish to **** that the pair of you would somehow, miraculously, change the fucking record and realise you’re living in 2006 and not the fucking 60’s. Things are different. Just because you’re old doesn’t mean you’re right. Learn some fucking tolerance you miserable set of ****. You fucking disgust me, you fucking ****.

:roll:

Unless you're claiming it is just an opinion of mine that players such as McDermott, Kennedy, Beardsley, Waddle and Gazza all left the club because the Board didn't have the same level of ambition to succeed as those individuals did? Are you really saying you have an interest in the history of the club and that this information is just an opinion?

Now you're doing it too, I thought it was only NE5 !!

A fact is something like "Newcastle won the FA Cup in 1932". An opinion would be something like (as NE5 puts it ) "Luque is crap".

It is easy to see which is which.

Now stating that those players left the club because "all left the club because the Board didn't have the same level of ambition to succeed as those individuals did" is not a fact, it is an opinion. It is a subjective view taken from reading what others have said. It may well be an opinion repeated hundreds and thousands of times which may well make it look like a fact, but it really is just an opinion.

I do believe most of those players did leave because they saw more chances of winning things elsewhere, but it is only an opinion I have on the matter, it is not a fact. If I met them all and asked them all personally why they left and heard them say it was so, then I'd have an even stronger belief in my opinion.

Our league positions, half full stadium and selling our top players for years are also facts and not opinions. The board is responsible for these things,  and now these areas are much improved, to the point of us being in a position whereby only 4 clubs have done better than us over the time span of a decade and overtaken the vast majority of clubs that were our rivals, and superior to us. Fact.

And you still betray your reluctance to give any credit where it is due. Agenda.

Being around to experience the relative-crapness of past boards of NUFC shouldn't stop one from being dissatisfied with whatever one considers to be holding the current lot back.

and showing how someone could come in and hold us back a lot further, because the current owners have in fact done very well, isn't relevant ?

The only fact I know is that you may have stood on the terraces at the time but you knew fuck all about the workings of the club. Neither did I. You are merely stating your precious opinion as your interpretation of what you were told and passing it off as 'fact'. I'm pretty sure you're spot on about some of the things you pontificate to us mere mortals about, but the majority is just your opinion.

Everyone in football knew how Newcastle worked back then, in the same way as you know sunderland have been run by a shite board under Bob Murray.

If you sit next to me, you might be surprised anyway, but its just a pity that people like you try to say you know better about these eras when you weren't there, it isn't something I come across too often. If you aren't prepared to accept the club was shit, struggled for decades, sold our best players, spent years in the 2nd division, played in front of a half full ground and had zero ambition then I can't help you, and if you don't accept that these things all come under the bigger responsibility of how the board set out how the club is run then it's no wonder you don't seem able to judge the merits of the board. And as you think that not being part of the board means you don't know it works, why do you seem to think you know all about the current board, or are you part of that ?

Here's my brief take to get things started again..

Our aim: win trophies

Result: no trophies in the last 30 odd years

Conclusion: FAILURE

The board over the last 30 years : FAILURE

Yes, NE5, that includes Fat Fred as well. It also includes SJH because we never won a fucking trophy with him! Yes, he helped the club and brought it back but we still have won shite!! We don't have a divine right to win, I know. But that should always be our aim... And since we didn't achieve it, we failed (or 'they' did).

Sometimes you make good posts mate, but this has been said before, what do you consider failure ? Would you rather we had won the League Cup and been relegated and struggled for most of the time like the smoggies than have the decades in europe etc that we have ?