The Board etc. etc.

NE5

Amazing how some people's contribution to this subject is limited to saying how pathetic it is, or how bored they are, then the most they can offer is a brief pathetic reply of no substance whatsoever, which hardly lends weight to the fact that they think they know best

Brief pathetic reply of no substance whatsoever!

Pointing out libel and slander to clear up the confusion of many innocent readers. I think it helps when you realise that one party of the debate is constantly making up claims on behalf of the others.

Amazing how some people's contribution to this subject is limited to saying how pathetic it is, or how bored they are, then the most they can offer is a brief pathetic reply of no substance whatsoever, which hardly lends weight to the fact that they think they know best

Brief pathetic reply of no substance whatsoever!

Pointing out libel and slander to clear up the confusion of many innocent readers. I think it helps when you realise that one party of the debate is constantly making up claims on behalf of the others.

how old are you ?

How many times have you seen NUFC play ?

How long have you "supported" the club ?

Have you ever lived in Newcastle, for how long, and where else have you lived in the UK ie what is your broad perception of the comments made on this board, and in this thread, about the clubs past, present and future ?

Do you have experience of living around the country to broaden your outloook on life from a football perspective so you really understand how others around the country see the club instead of some who say we are a "laughing stock", despite having a record in the past decade that is superior to all but 4 other clubs in the country ?

If your reply cannot address ALL of these questions in a positive light, and show you to be a knowledgeable supporter from the pre-1992 years, then in my OPINION, you know nothing about these years, so are in no position to comment and disagree with those who did. If you think such comments on such topics are indeed "pathetic", and have no further comment, then that betrays your lack of knowledge of it. Who gets involved in topics they have no experience of  ?  :lol:. If that is the case, then why don't you limit your contribution to things you have observed ie how brilliant Luque was in another country.

Meanwhile, if you continue to give an OPINION on the pre-1992 years, or how much we have improved as a club since then,  I will continue to reply with FACTS. And for your information, quoting facts, or showing where someone said something, then the opposite, is not slander or libel.

Thank You.

how old are you ?

Old age is a sad thing to have to win arguments on. eeeh when a were a lad

Are you really trying to say that number of games watched game is a key criteria in deciding whether you knwo what you're talking about ?

Have you ever lived in Newcastle, for how long, and where else have you lived in the UK ie what is your broad perception of the comments made on this board, and in this thread, about the clubs past, present and future ?

I thought you were going to finish that sentence with "Geordies are winners".

Do you have experience of living around the country to broaden your outloook on life from a football perspective so you really understand how others around the country see the club instead of some who say we are a "laughing stock", despite having a record in the past decade that is superior to all but 4 other clubs in the country ?

But using dubious statistics like that is exactly why so may do laugh

If your reply cannot address ALL of these questions in a positive light, and show you to be a knowledgeable supporter from the pre-1992 years, then in my OPINION, you know nothing about these years, so are in no position to comment and disagree with those who did. If you think such comments on such topics are indeed "pathetic", and have no further comment, then that betrays your lack of knowledge of it. Who gets involved in topics they have no experience of  ?  :lol:. If that is the case, then why don't you limit your contribution to things you have observed ie how brilliant Luque was in another country.

So you have to be old and forgetful, a "better" supporter, more local, more regional, generally more worldly otherwise you aren't allowed to try and explain slowly to you that you are old and forgetful ?

Meanwhile, if you continue to give an OPINION on the pre-1992 years, or how much we have improved as a club since then,  I will continue to reply with FACTS. And for your information, quoting facts, or showing where someone said something, then the opposite, is not slander or libel.

But these are your FACTS. They're not real facts, they're just your opinion repated so many times that you actually believe them to be true. Liek you saying you had proof that we woudl have had 70,000 crowds under Keegan. That is a stronlgy held opinion it isn't a fact. And that's a fact  :roll:

Your attempts at explaining yourself with 'facts' will always struggle as you clearly don't do either numbers or logic.

Thank You.

Another cup of tea dear ?

how old are you ?

Are you really trying to say that number of games watched game is a key criteria in deciding whether you knwo what you're talking about ?

I thought you were going to finish that sentence with "Geordies are winners".

But using dubious statistics like that is exactly why so may do laugh

So you have to be old and forgetful, a "better" supporter, more local, more regional, generally more worldly otherwise you aren't allowed to try and explain slowly to you that you are old and forgetful ?

But these are your FACTS. They're not real facts, they're just your opinion repated so many times that you actually believe them to be true. Liek you saying you had proof that we woudl have had 70,000 crowds under Keegan. That is a stronlgy held opinion it isn't a fact. And that's a fact  :roll:

Your attempts at explaining yourself with 'facts' will always struggle as you clearly don't do either numbers or logic.

Thank You.

Another cup of tea dear ?

I'm sure he is a big enough boy to answer his own questions. In the meantime, I see your immature comments continue, how old is your dad and why don't you reply in a mature manner ? Is he old and forgetful like you ?

Anyway, your crusade against the directors may be scaring some of the bairns on here, but I'm willing to bet that some of them by now are seeing through you.

is that a reply or something  :roll:

Anyway, it seems that your eyesight and memory must be failing you. This just isn't good enough for a mature, adult forum, where the owner insists people answer questions in an adult fashion.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php/topic,26584.msg498988.html#msg498988

As some people keep saying that we were a selling club I decided to look up the figures to see if this was correct as it’s easy to see a few big sales and go along with the idea.

So far I’ve been able to track down the values since we last won a trophy, 1969 and the Fairs Cup.

So far I’ve identified the transfers of 135 players out and 111 players in up until Keegan became manager.

The value that I have found for transfers out is £13,621,333.33 and the value for transfers in is £15,365,500.00.  Both of these figures include all of the major transfers both in and out so no single transfer will make a major difference.  At this stage it would appear that we might have broke even at best/worst depending how you look at it but it's too early to say,  £1,744,167 is a lot of money to make up considering the big ones are out of the way.

The transfers that I’m missing are as follows:

In

Graham Oates, David Mills, Tony Cunningham, Andy Thomas, Paul Goddard, John Cornwall, Michael O’Neill, Lee Payne, Archie Gourlay, Ray Ranson, Rob Macdonald, Benny Kristensen, Paul Sweeney and Wayne Ferraday.

Out

Andy Thomas, Benny Kristensen, Billy Askew, Billy Whitehurst, Chris Hedworth, Darren Bradshaw,  Dave Elliott, Dave Barton, David Kelly, David McCreery, David Mills, Frans Koenen, John Bird, John Trewick, Keith Kennedy, Kevin Brock, Lee Payne, Mark Stimson, Martin Thomas, Mick Martin, Neil Simpson, Pat Howard, Paul Goddard, Paul Sweeney, Peter Johnson, Rob Macdonald, Roger Jones, Steve Hardwick and Terry Hibbitt.

Does anybody know any of the transfer details shown above?

As some people keep saying that we were a selling club I decided to look up the figures to see if this was correct as it’s easy to see a few big sales and go along with the idea.

So far I’ve been able to track down the values since we last won a trophy, 1969 and the Fairs Cup.

So far I’ve identified the transfers of 135 players out and 111 players in up until Keegan became manager.

The value that I have found for transfers out is £13,621,333.33 and the value for transfers in is £15,365,500.00.  Both of these figures include all of the major transfers both in and out so no single transfer will make a major difference.  At this stage it would appear that we might have broke even at best/worst depending how you look at it but it's too early to say,  £1,744,167 is a lot of money to make up considering the big ones are out of the way.

The transfers that I’m missing are as follows:

In

Graham Oates, David Mills, Tony Cummings, Andy Thomas, Paul Goddard, John Cornwall, Michael O’Neill, Lee Payne, Archie Gourlay, Ray Ranson, Rob Macdonald, Benny Kristensen, Paul Sweeney and Wayne Ferraday.

Out

Andy Thomas, Benny Kristensen, Billy Askew, Billy Whitehurst, Chris Hedworth, Darren Bradshaw,  Dave Elliott, Dave Barton, David Kelly, David McCreery, David Mills, Frans Koenen, John Bird, John Trewick, Keith Kennedy, Kevin Brock, Lee Payne, Mark Stimson, Martin Thomas, Mick Martin, Neil Simpson, Pat Howard, Paul Goddard, Paul Sweeney, Peter Johnson, Rob Macdonald, Roger Jones, Steve Hardwick and Terry Hibbitt.

Does anybody know any of the transfer details shown above?

No proof or fuck all but I just know the following so take my word for it.  Paul Goddard was signed for £415,000 from West Ham and sold to Derby for £100,000.  Billy Whitehurst similarly came in for a club record £250,000.  Neil Simpson was £100,000 from Aeerberdeen.  Rob McDonald was signed from PSV Eindhoven for £150,000 (how the fuck was he part of a squad that won the European Cup?). David Kelly was bought fae Leicester for £250,000 and sold to Wolves for 3/4 of a million quid.  Wayne Fereday £100,000 from QPR.  Andy Thomas was definitely £200,000 from Oxford, donno how much he was sold for, canny player as well.  18 Y/o Michael O'Neill came in from Coleraine for £80,000 if memory serves me right.

That's all I can remember in all fairness.

Mick

As far as I have been able to find out to assist you, here is some information that might help:

Transfers in:

Graeme Oates from Blackburn - 150K

David Mills from WBA - 500K

Andy Thomas - Oxford United - 300K

Paul Goddard - West Ham  - 800K

John Cornwall - Orient - 50K

Michael O,Neill - Coleraine - 20K

Lee Payne - Barnet - 100K

Archie Gourlay - Greenock Morton - Nominal

Ray Ranson - Birmingham City - Free

Rob McDonald - PSV Eindhoven - 100K

Bjorn Kristensen - Aarhus = 250K

Paul Sweeney - Raith Rovers - 250K

Wayne Fereday - QPR - 300K

Transfers Out:

Andy Thomas - Oxford United - 150K

Bjorn Kristensen - Portsmouth - 500K

Billy Askew - Scotland - Nominal

Billy Whitehurst - Oxford United - 150K

Chris Hedworth - Barnsley - Free

Darren Bradshaw - Peterbrough - 100K

Dave Elliott - Southend United - Free

David Barton - Darlington - Free

David Kelly - Wolves - 250K

David McCreery - Hearts - Free

David Mills - Middlesbrough - 300K

Frans Koenen - Holland - Nominal

John Trewick - Oxford United - Free

Keith Kennedy - Bury - Free

Lee Payne - Reading - 50K

Mark Stimson - Portsmouth - 100K

Martin Thomas - Birmingham - Nominal

Neil Simpson - Retired through injury

Mick Martin - WBA - 100K

Pat Howard - Arsenal - 100K

Paul Goddard - Derby - 500K

Peter Johnson - Exeter City - Nominal

Rob McDonald - Besikitas - 100K

Roger Jones - Stoke City - Free

Steve Hardwick - Oxford United - 200K

Terry Hibbitt - Birmingham City - 150K

I cannot find any record of Tony Cummings playing for NUFC. We have had Bobby Cumings or Tony Cunningham on our books over the years.

In transfers out, I remember we signed John Bird from Preston North End for about 150K and I remember he left due to some sort of contract dispute and something jogs my thoughts about Manchester City but I could be wrong there.

I cannot find a record of where Kevin Brock went to but I have a feeling it was on a free transfer to somewhere like Oxford or Bristol.

I have no record of what happened to Paul Sweeney but I think he may have returned to Scotland, probably for a nominal fee.

Hope this assists you.

Macca

Sorry about the Tony Cummings one, it was meant to be Tony Cunningham.  Jack Charlton bought him from Man City and the reason for buying him was that part of our crowd were dishing out racist chants so Charlton bought a black player to shut them up.  I seem to remember something in the region of £120,000 but I don't want to use guess work as my memory isn't brilliant about that one.

I think Kevin Brock went to Stevenage on a free transfer but I can't say that with 100% certainty so I'm not going to add him to my got list yet.

John Bird came from Preston for £50,000 plus players, was it him who Bobby Charlton resigned over?  They sold him to us so Bobby resigned because he didn't want to sell him?

Macca888, are you sure about the £800k for Goddard?  I remember the £415k mentioned by NE15 but I didn't want to use my own guess.

Not sure who said we are a selling club. A selling club is one which every year or two MUST sell their best player to keep the clubs finances on track. At least, that's what I thought a selling club was believed to be when I've heard references over the years to the term 'selling club'. Is this not true?

Mick

As far as I have been able to find out to assist you, here is some information that might help:

Transfers in:

Graeme Oates from Blackburn - 150K

David Mills from WBA - 500K

Andy Thomas - Oxford United - 300K

Paul Goddard - West Ham  - 800K

John Cornwall - Orient - 50K

Michael O,Neill - Coleraine - 20K

Lee Payne - Barnet - 100K

Archie Gourlay - Greenock Morton - Nominal

Ray Ranson - Birmingham City - Free

Rob McDonald - PSV Eindhoven - 100K

Bjorn Kristensen - Aarhus = 250K

Paul Sweeney - Raith Rovers - 250K

Wayne Fereday - QPR - 300K

Transfers Out:

Andy Thomas - Oxford United - 150K

Bjorn Kristensen - Portsmouth - 500K

Billy Askew - Scotland - Nominal

Billy Whitehurst - Oxford United - 150K

Chris Hedworth - Barnsley - Free

Darren Bradshaw - Peterbrough - 100K

Dave Elliott - Southend United - Free

David Barton - Darlington - Free

David Kelly - Wolves - 250K

David McCreery - Hearts - Free

David Mills - Middlesbrough - 300K

Frans Koenen - Holland - Nominal

John Trewick - Oxford United - Free

Keith Kennedy - Bury - Free

Lee Payne - Reading - 50K

Mark Stimson - Portsmouth - 100K

Martin Thomas - Birmingham - Nominal

Neil Simpson - Retired through injury

Mick Martin - WBA - 100K

Pat Howard - Arsenal - 100K

Paul Goddard - Derby - 500K

Peter Johnson - Exeter City - Nominal

Rob McDonald - Besikitas - 100K

Roger Jones - Stoke City - Free

Steve Hardwick - Oxford United - 200K

Terry Hibbitt - Birmingham City - 150K

I cannot find any record of Tony Cummings playing for NUFC. We have had Bobby Cumings or Tony Cunningham on our books over the years.

In transfers out, I remember we signed John Bird from Preston North End for about 150K and I remember he left due to some sort of contract dispute and something jogs my thoughts about Manchester City but I could be wrong there.

I cannot find a record of where Kevin Brock went to but I have a feeling it was on a free transfer to somewhere like Oxford or Bristol.

I have no record of what happened to Paul Sweeney but I think he may have returned to Scotland, probably for a nominal fee.

Hope this assists you.

Macca

I've never seen a more factually incorrect post as that in all my life.  Paul Goddard £800,000  :lol: in 1986?  John Robertson was briefly our record buy for £750,000 in 1988, so how could Goddard be £800,000?  He was definitely £415,000 without a shadow of a doubt, and nearly every other figure you've put down is just wrong, can't be arsed to point them all out.  Admit to this forum you made those up then move on.

David Mills £500k WBA  :lol: :lol: :lol: IN 82/83?!??!  John Trewick was the record buy for less than half of that.  You've made all this up and look like a mug, unless you're reading a ridiculous website which has made them up.

David Mills £500k WBA  :lol: :lol: :lol: IN 82/83?!??!  John Trewick was the record buy for less than half of that.  You've made all this up and look like a mug, unless you're reading a ridiculous website which has made them up.

He might be getting confused with David Mills going to WBA for £500k, I thought Trewick was £250k.

He might be getting confused with David Mills going to WBA for £500k, I thought Trewick was £250k.

Who said he wasn't?

Who said he wasn't?

You said "John Trewick was the record buy for less than half of that."

I took that as meaning that he was less than half of £500k.

Who said he wasn't?

You said "John Trewick was the record buy for less than half of that."

I took that as meaning that he was less than half of £500k.

Nit picking.

Nit picking.

I wasn't trying to nit pick, I was trying to find out if you thought that the transfer fee was less than £250k.  You've already confirmed what I thought about Goddard which is good.

I've also found this about Simpson http://www.talkofthetyne.net/93201.html

1990/91 N.Simpson 1/4 0

Neil came from Aberdeen (£500,000) having been 'kicked out' of Scotland because of "that tackle" on a Rangers player. Durrant had his leg smashed and Neil headed south after death threats. Only made one start. Looked good when he was on the field, but was a bit like Marcelino.

Nit picking.

I wasn't trying to nit pick, I was trying to find out if you thought that the transfer fee was less than £250k.  You've already confirmed what I thought about Goddard which is good.

1990/91 N.Simpson 1/4 0

Neil came from Aberdeen (£500,000) having been 'kicked out' of Scotland because of "that tackle" on a Rangers player. Durrant had his leg smashed and Neil headed south after death threats. Only made one start. Looked good when he was on the field, but was a bit like Marcelino.

Honestly I don't care what that says, I know fine well he was £100,000.  Sure Aitken was £500,000 that's where the site editors getting mixed up.

Nit picking.

1990/91 N.Simpson 1/4 0

Honestly I don't care what that says, I know fine well he was £100,000.  Sure Aitken was £500,000 that's where the site editors getting mixed up.

I would be very surprised if he'd cost the £500k mentioned, I've seen somewhere that Simpson had to pay £400k in damages to Durrant.

Until SJH arrived we were an unambitious club, this is not the same as being a selling club.

What is the point you're trying to make here, Mick?

I'm not trying to make a point, I was interested to see actually what we'd spent on transfers so started looking.  It doesn't matter which way it turns out, I'd just like to know, that's all.

Until SJH arrived we were an unambitious club, this is not the same as being a selling club.

What is the point you're trying to make here, Mick?

I'm not trying to make a point, I was interested to see actually what we'd spent on transfers so started looking.  It doesn't matter which way it turns out, I'd just like to know, that's all.

I think a lot of money has been spent on buying players over the years. It's a damn shame a lot of it wasn't at the right time.

Nit picking.

1990/91 N.Simpson 1/4 0

I would be very surprised if he'd cost the £500k mentioned, I've seen somewhere that Simpson had to pay £400k in damages to Durrant.

Aberdeen fans are scum, to the tune of "who's that team they call United", they still sing, Who's that lying at Pittodrie who's that lying on the floor, it looks like Iain Durrant to me, cos Simmie's gone and fucked his knee, and he won't be playing for Rangers anymore.  They sing that to this day, he was defo £100,000 though.

Mick

Much of the stuff I managed to find out came from the likes of Wikpaedia and as for Goddard, NE15 may well be right. WHU actually bought him from QPR for 800K and if they sold him to us for just over half that amount, then I would imagine it would have been a bit of a coup at the time.

David Mills, if I remember correctly, may have been purchased after the Trewick transfer therefore setting a new club record transfer price.