***The Quote-tastic thread***

Guest smoggeordie

Him and Bellamy would have been a good partnership if it was for the fact that Robson was pressured to start Shearer all of the time. Kluivert was unlucky that Shearer was still just about good enough when he arrived.

I don't think he was particularly motivated by the fact he knew he would end up on the bench no matter how well he performed in training.

I'd take your point on Kluivert if he'd done well after leaving Newcastle but he didn't.

Kevin Davies, Peter Crouch, have all had big money moves and flopped. There are some people on here would be delighted with those guys. Beattie's made a bad move once. I bet he'd love the chance to restore his reputation up here.

Just think, we, FOR ONCE, could actually buy a player, restore his reputation and see his value GO UP!! Fuck me, that would be lovely.

When was the last time we sold a player for a profit?

Beattie isn't the type of striker we should be looking at. I think people are excited by the fact he's English, scored 20+ goals a few years back and he's cheap.

We shouldn't be buying players based on this criteria, we should be looking at what our teams needs and finding someone who will get the best out of players around him as well as slotting right in. For me, Beattie isn't that man. We need (IMO) someone with a good footballing brain and intelligent link up play, preferably someone strong who can hold the ball up. Sibierski has done his best and has shown what a bit of height and hold up play can bring to our team, but we need better.

Crouch does possess some of these qualities but represents poor value for money. There are plenty of lanky bastards who will score a few goals and hold the ball up, Sibierski is proof of that. We need someone in that mould but better basically, a more natural target man.

A well thought out, constructive argument, God - some people on here could learn a thing or two from you.

Ok, if not Beattie, any suggestions? Bearing in mind that LB/CB will be priority in this window and we won't have wedges of wonga?

Him and Bellamy would have been a good partnership if it was for the fact that Robson was pressured to start Shearer all of the time. Kluivert was unlucky that Shearer was still just about good enough when he arrived.

I don't think he was particularly motivated by the fact he knew he would end up on the bench no matter how well he performed in training.

I'd take your point on Kluivert if he'd done well after leaving Newcastle but he didn't.

Kevin Davies, Peter Crouch, have all had big money moves and flopped. There are some people on here would be delighted with those guys. Beattie's made a bad move once. I bet he'd love the chance to restore his reputation up here.

Just think, we, FOR ONCE, could actually buy a player, restore his reputation and see his value GO UP!! Fuck me, that would be lovely.

Jenas  bluewink.gif

Didn't Robson ask for Miguel and we got Carr?

Bottomless pit of money obsession again. He also wanted Carr, and was given the money to buy Milner, Butt and pay the wages to Kluivert. Its called a budget. Macbeth and his monkey will explain the concept when he comes back as he surely will soon now the team has lost a couple of games, to tell you that we didn't even have the money for Carr never mind Miguel.

The shite board spent millions before and after that summer. Damned if they spend, damned if they don't, as usual.

We couldn't afford another £3 million for Miguel but at the same time we could afford to bid £23 million for Rooney?

8m - 2.5m = 5.5m

If you prefer the shite board not to buy top quality England players and prefer them to buy the likes of Jonathon Stead, you might just get your wish one day. I am still waiting for people like you to tell us who these directors are that are going to guarantee us permanent Champions League football, as only 4 clubs have qualified more for europe than us in the past decade.

Iwas refering to us supposedly offering £5 million but they were holding out for £8 million.

I'm not even the slightest bit interested in reading the rest of waffle you've come out with about directors as it has nothing to do with this thread.

What I say is fact. Macbeth and his monkey will tell you the club had spent a lot of money that summer as it was - in fact I have myself too - however Rooney is an exceptional case and if you don't see this then you are blind. In fact someone like thompers should answer this, no doubt he would just think he would have been a "trophy player" the fact being that it is the trophy players who win you the trophies  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest Alan Shearer 9

There are plenty of lanky bastards who will score a few goals and hold the ball up, Sibierski is proof of that.

well thought out

aye, fucking great scientific argument there

Jenas bluewink.gif

Did we though? If we did it was marginal and it certainly wasn't because he set the world alight up here or we developed him into a much better player, it would be because he was young, english and takes it up the arse.

Guest thompers

Bottomless pit of money obsession again. He also wanted Carr, and was given the money to buy Milner, Butt and pay the wages to Kluivert. Its called a budget. Macbeth and his monkey will explain the concept when he comes back as he surely will soon now the team has lost a couple of games, to tell you that we didn't even have the money for Carr never mind Miguel.

The shite board spent millions before and after that summer. Damned if they spend, damned if they don't, as usual.

We couldn't afford another £3 million for Miguel but at the same time we could afford to bid £23 million for Rooney?

8m - 2.5m = 5.5m

If you prefer the shite board not to buy top quality England players and prefer them to buy the likes of Jonathon Stead, you might just get your wish one day. I am still waiting for people like you to tell us who these directors are that are going to guarantee us permanent Champions League football, as only 4 clubs have qualified more for europe than us in the past decade.

Qualifying for europe is seen as an achievement at a football club because it provides money to spend to go on and win cups. Therefore, if only 4 clubs in a decade have qualified more than us, then surely we should be one of the best equipped clubs to go on and win things. Why haven't we?

it could be worse, we could be the 24th top club over a decade, as were on many occasions pre-1992 and the Halls and Shepherd. Ask your dad and he'll tell you this is true. How was this ?

My Dad is a Liverpool fan.

So we weren't equipped to win things pre 1992. That's understandable.

We're now equipped to win things (thanks to Sir John Hall's work in the early to mid 90s), as we have the resources that European football brings. Why aren't we benefitting from these resources? Why are we going backwards with this extra money that European football brings.

The 4 clubs that you mention that have qualified for Europe more than us over the last decade. Would you care to inform me how long it is since each of those won a trophy and summerise how well you think that those clubs have benefitted from the money that European football brings?

Jenas bluewink.gif

Did we though? If we did it was marginal and it certainly wasn't because he set the world alight up here or we developed him into a much better player, it would be because he was young, english and takes it up the arse.

About £4m with the add on's. Thats nearly double what we paid!

I think Beattie would be a decent signing on the cheap, certainly nowhere near £6m!

I agree, I'd probably pay a max of £4m for him.

4 mill would be my max too, although i will say this, they rekon Nugent is avalible for about 5 mill or so, so why not take a punt on youth ??

Jenas  bluewink.gif

Woodgate  :lol:

8m - 2.5m = 5.5m

Qualifying for europe is seen as an achievement at a football club because it provides money to spend to go on and win cups. Therefore, if only 4 clubs in a decade have qualified more than us, then surely we should be one of the best equipped clubs to go on and win things. Why haven't we?

it could be worse, we could be the 24th top club over a decade, as were on many occasions pre-1992 and the Halls and Shepherd. Ask your dad and he'll tell you this is true. How was this ?

My Dad is a Liverpool fan.

So we weren't equipped to win things pre 1992. That's understandable.

why ?

We're now equipped to win things (thanks to Sir John Hall's work in the early to mid 90s), as we have the resources that European football brings. Why aren't we benefitting from these resources? Why are we going backwards with this extra money that European football brings.

The 4 clubs that you mention that have qualified for Europe more than us over the last decade. Would you care to inform me how long it is since each of those won a trophy and summerise how well you think that those clubs have benefitted from the money that European football brings?

what did John Hall do ? It was Shepherd, Hall Jnr and Fletcher who chose and appointed Keegan ?

Jenas  bluewink.gif

Did we make a profit on him? Went up to £13.4m with add ons but I doubt any of them will have been made so we probably got back what we paid, still a fucking good deal  :thup:

Jenas  bluewink.gif

Did we make a profit on him? Went up to £13.4m with add ons but I doubt any of them will have been made so we probably got back what we paid, still a fucking good deal  :thup:

another anti-board myth laid to rest

8m - 2.5m = 5.5m

Does our current chairman guarantee us permanent CL football?

No club has qualified for Europe in the past decade through the back door more than us, fact.

well looks like we ahve missed out on ade akinbyi, just signed for Burnley.......God Dam it lol

he's not a "trophy player" though, and thickmick would welcome signings like this, just like the good old days when we had a board just the same as the current one, according to him  :lol: :lol:

bluesleep.gif

Again, only in your head.

what did John Hall do ? It was Shepherd, Hall Jnr and Fletcher who chose and appointed Keegan ?

It was Freddy Fletcher who went to Sir John Hall and suggested Keegan but hey, don't let that stop Shepherd from being credited with it.

Guest thompers

It was Freddy Fletcher who went to Sir John Hall and suggested Keegan but hey, don't let that stop Shepherd from being credited with it.

Creditted? He won fuck all. At any of the 4 clubs that have qualified for europe more than us, Keegan would have been considered a failure!

Jenas bluewink.gif

About £4m with the add on's. Thats nearly double what we paid!

I'd be surprised if we made that much on him and don't reckon we made much on Woodgate (although at the time I suppose we were thankful just to get back what we'd paid). My point is we RARELY make profits on players.

We would have a chance of doing so with Beattie and, again, if it didn't work we'd still be able to flog him to a lower league side for a couple of mill.

Ironic that the two players we made a small profit on we're English too though.

Keegan says differently.

Thickmick making things up again  :lol: :lol: :lol: