Sell Given ?

Benwell Lad

This Thompers guy is the most mentally ill lad I've ever seen here :roll:

BLEEEEAT.  You're just a sheep.  There are far more mentally ill lads on here, but since thompers excels at the most showy parts of being mentally ill (bonkers arguments), everyone thinks he's the top of the heap.

What about his over-the-top insults?  Poor.  His inane ramblings are also suspect.  And while his passionate, unreasonable vendettas against individual players are above average, they still don't reach the heights of the board's truly mental posters.  Crumpy Gunt has been more insane in a single thread than thompers has over his entire posting career!  We could certainly sell him to another forum.

Shay be a great keeper and all but I cant help feeling that our present back four would be better helped by someone who is more of a leader and has some physical presence back there. Send Krul out on a loan and if he performs selling Given this summer or next could be atleast something to consider.

Guest thompers

This Thompers guy is the most mentally ill lad I've ever seen here :roll:

BLEEEEAT.  You're just a sheep.  There are far more mentally ill lads on here, but since thompers excels at the most showy parts of being mentally ill (bonkers arguments), everyone thinks he's the top of the heap.

What about his over-the-top insults?  Poor.  His inane ramblings are also suspect.  And while his passionate, unreasonable vendettas against individual players are above average, they still don't reach the heights of the board's truly mental posters.  Crumpy Gunt has been more insane in a single thread than thompers has over his entire posting career!  We could certainly sell him to another forum.

LOLOLOL OMG SO HILARIOUS OMGOMGOMGZ

Out of interest I got the stats for this season for the number of saves made and goals conceeded by each keeper, and calculated the ratio of one against the other (ie how many saves a keeper made divided by how many goals were conceeded). This gives an idea of how well a keeper is doing while somewhat factoring out how good or bad the defence in front of him is or how well his team are playing - a keeper with a crap defence would have to make more saves and would obviously conceed more, but if he's good his ratio of saves per goal should be better than average. I also included the number of minutes played, as anything under 10 games or so isn't really representative.

S/GA    S       GA      Mins
Cech                    8.00    16      2       454
Isaksson                6.00    6       1       45
James                   4.36    96      22      1980
Howard                  4.32    82      19      1890
Pollitt                 4.00    4       1       45
Lee                     4.00    24      6       585
Jaaskelainen            3.67    77      21      1980
Van der Sar             3.57    50      14      1890
Sorensen                3.56    32      9       1149
Harper                  3.44    31      9       725
Hahnemann               3.30    99      30      1980
Friedel                 3.10    90      29      1845
Kenny                   2.95    62      21      1680
Lehmann                 2.84    54      19      1890
Schwarzer               2.81    76      27      1980
Taylor                  2.75    22      8       381
Cudicini                2.67    8       3       626
Given                   2.65    45      17      1161
Reina                   2.56    41      16      1980
Foster                  2.40    48      20      1215
Green                   2.38    50      21      1260
Niemi                   2.08    54      26      1770
Lastuvka                2.00    12      6       210
Kuszczak                2.00    2       1       90
Carroll                 1.92    23      12      720
Weaver                  1.92    46      24      1845
Robinson                1.82    51      28      1980
Kiraly                  1.75    14      8       450
Kirkland                1.71    53      31      1845
Carson                  1.70    63      37      1890
Srnicek                 1.50    3       2       94
Myhre                   1.33    4       3       90
Bennett                 1.20    6       5       180
Hilario                 0.92    11      12      900
Wright                  0.67    2       3       90

Discuss.

Guest Jangles

Given is a fantastic keeper and I cant see us attracting anyone better in our current situation. But in the purely hypothetical situation that it was a straight choice between Shay and 2/3 good defenders, say bridge, baine, (a fit) woodgate, upson, etc- What would most folk go for?

I suspect youd go for a solid defence as that makes the goalkeeper less important and helps contribute to attacking play. Allied that with the fact that we've Harper who's an extremely capable keeper and a very promising youngster sitting in the wings.

But its all hypothetical as I dont think we're that desperate for money and I dont think theres any big clubs prepared to offer us big money for Shay

How many clubs world wide would not want to buy him if he was offerd to them ??

Quite a few tbh, four in this country for starters.

You honestly believe Given is so loyal as to turn down one of the big four if they came knocking?