Sell Given ?

Benwell Lad

We either sell Given this summer for big money, or keep him for life.

I'd rather just keep him and when he retires, Krul will be able to take over. Have every faith he could be just as good as Given, fingers crossed.

He is the best in the League IMO. Put him behind Chelsea's defence (well maybe not this year ;) ) and Chelsea would be unstopable.

Bullshit

How to argue your point, backing up your opinion.......

Can't kick, can't command his box, absolutely FUCKING WOEFUL at penalties and in general no presence whatsoever.

He's just a shot-stopper, that's it.  I've made my feelings on Given heard pretty often.

He is the best in the League IMO. Put him behind Chelsea's defence (well maybe not this year ;) ) and Chelsea would be unstopable.

Bullshit

Can't kick, can't command his box, absolutely F***ING WOEFUL at penalties and in general no presence whatsoever.

He's just a shot-stopper, that's it.  I've made my feelings on Given heard pretty often.

Although our best ever keeper. Name one better.

Bullshit

Can't kick, can't command his box, absolutely F***ING WOEFUL at penalties and in general no presence whatsoever.

So have I. I don't disagree with you too much, his command of the 18 yard box and organising of the back 4 has never been brilliant.

How the fuck does that automatically make him one of the best in the league now.

Just speaks volumes for how shit our keepers have been.

How the F*** does that automatically make him one of the best in the league now.

You didn't answer the question.

He's a good 'keeper though, although he definietly does lack presence. To say he is just a shot-stopper is doing him a disservice though; he's one of the best shot-stoppers in the world. Mr. Reliable too. I'd rate Cech and Van Der Sar higher though.

How the F*** does that automatically make him one of the best in the league now.

You didn't answer the question.

Yeah, he is.  Because you could name on one hand ALL of our good defenders/goalkeepers in our ENTIRE history

Sima

Given is a good keeper with a couple of weaknesses. These are weakness I don't like to ignore, but not saving many penalties isn't something I hold against him.  Organising the back four and controlling the 18 yard area are weaknesses that have always bothered me.

However, it wouldn't be easy to replace him with someone better imo. I'd say he's the best keeper we've had in my lifetime, can't think of anyone better.

Those things don't make him a bad keeper, they are secondary areas in which others are better - fair enough.

In terms of stopping shots, which is the single most important thing a keeper has to do, he's amongst the best in the league IMO.

Those things don't make him a bad keeper, they are secondary areas in which others are better - fair enough.

In terms of stopping shots, which is the single most important thing a keeper has to do, he's amongst the best in the league IMO.

I think organising the back four and controlling the box are equally as important as shot stopping, tbh.

I think organising the back four and controlling the box are equally as important as shot stopping, tbh.

Fair enough. Keeping the ball out of the net at all costs is the priority, however that's acheived.

Cech is prone to howlers and Van der Sar is shit at long shots (ask Manyoo fans or just remember Mendieta's goal last season). Although Given doesn't organize the back four real well, I don't think it's a necessary thing for goalkeepers to do. Buffon rarely does, same with Casillas. It's an added bonus thing that some keepers bring, such as Schmeichel but it's not a pre-requisite for being a fantastic keeper, which Shay certainly is btw.

And so what if his command of the box isn't the best? We rarely lose goals from corners and free-kicks btw, and when we do, it's down to shit marking, something that Given isn't and shouldn't be responsible for.

With regards to penalties, it's another rare quality for a keeper to have. Cech doesn't possess this quality, neither does Casillas btw.

PS. I'd rather have a keeper that can win us points than a keeper that can kick straight. Shay's not perfect, but he's arguably been the most consistent footballer in the Premiership in the past couple of seasons, and combined with his ability to not get injured, he's one of the best out there. I won't be surprised at how many problems people will have with our next goalkeeper because we've been extremely fortunate that Shay has set his and our's standards amazingly high, and his boots will be hard to fill.

Probably the most unpopular thread title since "Keep Souness" - but think about it.

If Tim Krul maintains his progress he is soon going to need to be at least a No.2 keeper in a Premiership squad, that probably means if we're to keep him then one of the senior goalkeepers will have to make way.

Shay Given is a top keeper and an excellent club man but in my opinion so is Steve Harper.

I don't think there is much to seperate them but Shay has a stronger personality and made it clear he would not be No 2, while Harper has been content with that role.

A lot of us rate them equally, but Shay would have a higher market value and I'd guess a much higher salary. Therefore would it make sense to cash in on him and invest the money elsewhere ?

One thing is sure, when they're all fit, 3 into 2 won't go and something will have to give eventually.

I think we can all thank our lucky stars you're not in charge mate, for even considering it. You're not actually Graeme Souness are you? Jesus Christ.......

Why ? Did Souness ever imply we should sell Given ?  I must have missed that.

You obviously missed the question mark after the title as well.

My point of discussion is what is the best and most practical solution to having 3 goalkeepers on our books who are all good enough to play at the top level.

Judging by what I've read so far it would seem the majority think that Given should never be sold at any price.

I'd probably be inclined to agree but I'd think very carefully about it WHEN all 3 are ready.

I don't think we should sell Given. Why would we?

- We wouldn't get that much money for him.

- Harper is worse than him, and we wouldn't be able to buy anyone better, so the end result would be having a worse keeper.

- As has been pointed out, due to their respective ages it's very unlikely he'll be getting in the way of Krul.

- Selling one of your best players over the last decade, who is still in top form, without replacing him with someone better is hardly the sign of a club moving forwards.

If someone came in and offered huge money for him, i.e. £10m+ it would have to be thought about, obviously. However, it's not happened before, and I fail to see why it would happen now. Surely if we were going to sell anyone to promote Krul, Harper would be the obvious choice?

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Bullshit

He's just a shot-stopper, that's it. I've made my feelings on Given heard pretty often.

Appearently Given is good enough to recieve PL goalkeeper for the season last year and as far as I remember its the second time he recieves that prize! Very important for Newcastle to keep Given in the club until he retires!!!

Guest thompers

He's a trophy keeper that makes the sheepfans that are a majority bleat about him being world class. I do like the guy, and he is a very good shot stopper. But that shot stopping is the spectacular part of a goalkeepers game, and people do tend to ignore the none-spectacular parts of a goalkeepers game that Sima mentions, which Shay certainly doesn't excel at.

His form at the moment is poor too, even his shot stopping hasn't been at its usual standard this season.

He's a trophy keeper that makes the sheepfans that are a majority bleat about him being world class. I do like the guy, and he is a very good shot stopper. But that shot stopping is the spectacular part of a goalkeepers game, and people do tend to ignore the none-spectacular parts of a goalkeepers game that Sima mentions, which Shay certainly doesn't excel at.

His form at the moment is poor too, even his shot stopping hasn't been at its usual standard this season.

Glad you agree with me as well, Thompers. Good one.

I wouldn't disagree with that particularly, but as I posted above, I can't see any benefit in selling him.

Guest getalife

Probably the most unpopular thread title since "Keep Souness" - but think about it.

If Tim Krul maintains his progress he is soon going to need to be at least a No.2 keeper in a Premiership squad, that probably means if we're to keep him then one of the senior goalkeepers will have to make way.

Shay Given is a top keeper and an excellent club man but in my opinion so is Steve Harper.

I don't think there is much to seperate them but Shay has a stronger personality and made it clear he would not be No 2, while Harper has been content with that role.

A lot of us rate them equally, but Shay would have a higher market value and I'd guess a much higher salary. Therefore would it make sense to cash in on him and invest the money elsewhere ?

One thing is sure, when they're all fit, 3 into 2 won't go and something will have to give eventually.

I think we can all thank our lucky stars you're not in charge mate, for even considering it. You're not actually Graeme Souness are you? Jesus Christ.......

Why ? Did Souness ever imply we should sell Given ?  I must have missed that.

You obviously missed the question mark after the title as well.

My point of discussion is what is the best and most practical solution to having 3 goalkeepers on our books who are all good enough to play at the top level.

Judging by what I've read so far it would seem the majority think that Given should never be sold at any price.

I'd probably be inclined to agree but I'd think very carefully about it WHEN all 3 are ready.

The question mark wasn't lost on me, it usually follows a question....

No, Souness didn't imply selling Given, but he did make some unfathomable decisions regarding other important players. I know that this is a forum, and that everybody's entitled to their opinions, but if you hadn't noticed, we're a team struggling and needing every break we can get at the moment. Offloading Given is not going to help that situation in any way, in fact it's the absolutely worst possible thing that could happen to Newcastle United at present. Nowt like not feeling wanted for the poor bloke after all he's done for us, have a heart mate.....

Guest Smudger

No No and no IMO. Shay is a world class keeper and to sell him would be madness tbh. Granted he may decide to leave to go what he may class as a bigger club more likely of winning silverware but I for one would be gutted to see him go.

:(

Guest thompers

No No and no IMO. Shay is a world class keeper and to sell him would be madness tbh. Granted he may decide to leave to go what he may class as a bigger club more likely of winning silverware but I for one would be gutted to see him go.

:(

blleeeeeeeeeeeeeeet