Oba: Clueless and Naive?

Guest BooBoo

I see John Tudor gives an opinion on Oba Martins in tonights Chronicle, where the crux is that he has lots of raw ability but hasn't a clue how to play team football. I think this is pretty much spot on. When Oba is provided with the ball to feet, he has shown he can be pretty lethal. However when it comes to making runs and moving off the ball, he still has a lot to learn. An example came in the last ten minutes of the Man Utd game. Newcastle broke up an attack with Dyer carrying the ball over half way and Martins and Sibierski running up slightly infornt. The problem was, Oba just ran straight behind his marker making the ball to him a non starter. There was no attempt to make any diagonal run or maybe to pull his marker away to free up space. Needless to say with no options available, Dyer lost possession.

I think Oba has a lot to learn about being the real deal at Newcastle. He has shown good potential but only top class coaching and tuition will take him to the next level. I just wonder whether he can learn that from Roeder, Terry Mac, Pearson and Clarkie.

The bit about not knowing where and when to make runs off the ball was highlighted on MOTD a few weeks ago, he just needs to be shown/told how its done.

Having said that, I would have thought Inter would have been pretty shit-hot when it comes their coaching.

Aye, I mean, you'd imagine that a team like Inter would be able to iron out these sort of basic defficiencies in a player, especially one that came through their youth system. Then again, maybe that's why they aern't winning the Scudetto. (not even sure I'm spelling that word right)

We should wait and see with Martins though. He's already proven his class IMO, just needs time to learn the game more. Looking at games these days you can really notice that defenders FEAR Martins when he starts running up towards them. Definitely a good sign I'd say.

He's an exceptionally quick and strong athlete, and that is always going to make him dangerous in certain situations. At other times, when a delicate touch is required, he's not going to be so great. We have to accept the package.

His ability to drop deeper at times and link with the midfield has been a bit better than I thought it was going to be. He's working hard at developing an all-round game.

Guest Gemmill

Tudor is spot on tbh.  Since he got here he's made work very easy for his markers with his lack of movement off the ball. 

Before the idiots that think you can't criticise a Newcastle player turn up, no one is writing him off, saying he's shit, or anything like that.  Use your eyes, use your brains to process what you're seeing, and you'll understand what the rest of us are talking about.  Ok?  bluebigrazz.gif

Tudor missed the alternative that Martins ran behindf the defender to make him turn, gain 5 yards and expected Dyer to loft the ball for him to run on too. Perhaps Tudor should be looking more at service to the striker rather than the striker servicing the midfield.

Martins is youg, quick, talented and finding his feet in a new country and new league. To put his performances into context compare Shevshenko, Berbatov etc.

Martins movement is shit tbh, from what I've seen. Of course he could / should improve but I think we took a large gamble at the price we paid.

Guest teepee

i agree that his movement can still improve, but to label him cluless and naive is idiotic.

i think he is quite good in participating in link/build up play, is incredibly quick, has a decent shot on him and is willing to take a chance once in a while. combine this with the fact that he has only been here for a very brief period of time, has been playing in a shit side for most of that time and he is still only 22 , i have very high hopes for his future here!

but of course he needs to improve - mainly on his movement, but as pointed out that will also improve as he gradually gets to know his team mates (and vice versa).

as for his impact on our team - i think it is greater than that of most new strikers in a new team and foreign country.

imo he has started out every bit as good as your beloved bellamy, better than the berbatovs and shevas, and lets not even mention players like kluivert, cort and ferguson.....

Guest Gemmill

Tudor missed the alternative that Martins ran behindf the defender to make him turn, gain 5 yards and expected Dyer to loft the ball for him to run on too.

That would be nice if it were true.  Unfortunately the weight of evidence from every other occasion on which he's tracked his marker when out of possession of the ball doesn't back it up. 

I think he should keep out of build up play altogether. I don't think it's his strength at all. Not being arsey but I can't think of any examples off the top of my head where he has looked good being involved in this. His game is all about getting on the end of things and finishing chances. I agree, he's done ok for a young lad coming to a new country (especially given he's had to play in a struggling side). He's handling the pressure well it would seem. 

I think Martins has the same problem as Ameobi, they both see something happen and THEN move. If Owen was to help him with anticipation, movement and positioning then we would have an awesome striker. Too often I have seen Martins running in a straight line towards the goal down the middle of the pitch.