Owen's future?

Guest andynufc84

Guest andynufc84

when fit he has to go straight back in team without a doubt, but who does he play with?

Martins, ameobi, sibierski, dyer?

I think owen is good enough to play with anyone imo but it will be interesting to see when the time comes

Guest TampaToon

even with owen at 60% he makes us a better team, and i feel pretty good about his chances of being something better than that. although roeder's selections are baffling at times, i think he's shown a willingness to not be locked into traditional deployments when he has some options - i'm curious to see how he maximizes contributions from owen, martins, ameobi, sibierski, and forthcoming buys up front when he's got them all available at the start of next year. 4-5-1 would seem a crime with some of the options we could put together.

we tend to forget how good some players are during long injury layoffs, i think he can give the team a lift in quality similar to what kieron dyer did for us. i think he will make our wingers and set-up players much better with his positional sense and finishing up front, if not his pace.

Guest andynufc84

yep agree, he can be the 'catalyst' and give people around him confidence, it must help when you know there is someone there who

will simply stick the ball in the net

Owen will be a top-class striker for at least another 4 years. Come August when Duff has settled properly and Martins has his first year out of the way and will find his position better and Owen 100% match-fit, we'll be one dangerous attacking side.

Guest FlapjackJoe

How much compensation did we get for him?

I assume it will be at max to cover his salary, definitely no more.

Guest nufc 4 life

[shadow=red,left][glow=red,2,300]best finisher in the premier bar none for me like[/glow][/shadow]  i just hope he stays fit and stays at the club obviously - its players like that who are the difference between midd table medioctraty

and the top 6

hopefully we can get the team he plays with right as well, plenty of quality from midfield and from the flanks, that may take a bit of work though..

i don't think so Thierry Henry is by far the better player surely and there are a couple more.

to be fair he banged in the goals when he wasn't injured something like 7-8 in 12, but it is yet to be seen how fit he will be after injury if he will still have killer instinct pace e.t.c

there is no doubt though that he will probably see out the remainder of his career with us

Guest teepee

[shadow=red,left][glow=red,2,300]best finisher in the premier bar none for me like[/glow][/shadow]  i just hope he stays fit and stays at the club obviously - its players like that who are the difference between midd table medioctraty

and the top 6

hopefully we can get the team he plays with right as well, plenty of quality from midfield and from the flanks, that may take a bit of work though..

henry may be a better player - but i agree that owen's finishing is better that his!

henry's calm, pace and tricks are what sets him apart...

i don't think so Thierry Henry is by far the better player surely and there are a couple more.

to be fair he banged in the goals when he wasn't injured something like 7-8 in 12, but it is yet to be seen how fit he will be safter injury if he will still have killer instinct pace e.t.c

there is no doubt though that he will probably see out the remainder of his career with us

Guest nufc 4 life

and the top 6

did you quote me exactly because you agreed with me lol

henry may be a better player - but i agree that owen's finishing is better that his!

to be fair he banged in the goals when he wasn't injured something like 7-8 in 12, but it is yet to be seen how fit he will be safter injury if he will still have killer instinct pace e.t.c

Guest nufc 4 life

[shadow=red,left][glow=red,2,300]best finisher in the premier bar none for me like[/glow][/shadow] i just hope he stays fit and stays at the club obviously - its players like that who are the difference between midd table medioctraty

and the top 6

did you quote me exactly because you agreed with me lol

one last try did you quote me exactly because you agree with me

Guest Invicta_Toon

I think most people outside of newcastle forget we have one of englands (and maybe europes) best goalscorers best strikers out injured

My question though is what is the future for owen at NUFC?

Lets face it he wasn't our first choice, but he did make the move. Will he make his return and will we see 5 or 6 seasons of owen at the top of his game? Scoring goals and being the all round awesome footballer that we all know he is and become a true Newcastle legend.

Or will he just bugger off in the summer?

they haven't forgotten, they just realise he isn't one of the best forwards in Europe any more

he was a pace man, if he comes back slow, he won't have shit

I think most people outside of newcastle forget we have one of englands (and maybe europes) best goalscorers best strikers out injured

Lets face it he wasn't our first choice, but he did make the move. Will he make his return and will we see 5 or 6 seasons of owen at the top of his game? Scoring goals and being the all round awesome footballer that we all know he is and become a true Newcastle legend.

they haven't forgotten, they just realise he isn't one of the best forwards in Europe any more

You havn`t got a clue. He changed his game based soley on pace ages ago. He has the best positioning and movement I have seen. He won`t lose a very predatory footballing brain from a knee injury unless thats where he keeps his brain.

His movement is superb, hasn't been lightning quick for years tbh.

Guest Knightrider

I've been reading a few conflicting articles these past few days, some say you can't lose pace, some say you can't regain lost pace while others say you can. Anyway, in Owen's case he's a player on a downward spiral in my opinion and I'd cash in at £7-10m. The older he gets the less effective he'll be and he's also a tough player to find a partner for. We should never have signed him tbh, massive risk and why we are in this mess (financially) today because we put all our eggs in the one basket.

I've been reading a few conflicting articles these past few days, some say you can't lose pace, some say you can't regain lost pace while others say you can. Anyway, in Owen's case he's a player on a downward spiral in my opinion and I'd cash in at £7-10m. The older he gets the less effective he'll be and he's also a tough player to find a partner for. We should never have signed him tbh, massive risk and why we are in this mess (financially) today because we put all our eggs in the one basket.

If we hadn't signed Luque or Boumsong for those ridiculous fees we wouldn't be in the same financial mess either. And while we've been very unlucky with Owen in terms of injuries I'd still rather have him here than either of those two. Reckon he'll still be very decent when he regains fitness too. We'll see though I suppose.

IMO we should plan our future without him, we have Martins to play in his role anyways, Martins who at 22 (allegedly) can only get better whereas Owen has already hit his peak and is now on the way down. Saying this though, i hope he comes back and scores loads of goals but i can't see it happening, if he stays fit i would consider selling at anything over £8m but whether any1 will want him with his poor injury reckon i doubt.

Guest Knightrider

If we hadn't signed Luque or Boumsong for those ridiculous fees we wouldn't be in the same financial mess either. And while we've been very unlucky with Owen in terms of injuries I'd still rather have him here than either of those two. Reckon he'll still be very decent when he regains fitness too. We'll see though I suppose.

Oh aye, I agree, but £16m on one player when we clearly needed a few players was a bigger rick than those two. Of course had he stayed fit and banged in 20 goals for us last season and started this one this wouldn't be an issue but most saw it coming, just typical NUFC really, or for Owen, typical of his own luck. I think his movement and sense of timing will still get him goals but against top-class defences I think he'll struggle without that pace or rather the sharpness which is what I fear he'll lose, add his limited game and I would cash in for a more rounded individual even if he doesn't have Owen's finishing abilities or instincts. I also fear Owen will always be one knock away from the treatment table, he doesn't have the body to take knocks like Shearer did and that's a worry.

Fingers crossed though and who knows.

Guest Sniffer

Owen had two very unlucky, unrelated injuries. So you are saying you saw it coming knightrider? That's a load of cobblers. He's one of the best forwards in Europe and according to Steadman he'll make a full recovery. Until I see otherwise on the pitch, I'll reserve judgement and back the surgeon's opinion. Martin's has got a long, long way to go before he is half the player that Owen is but as usual on this site, people get carried away.