Oba Martins to Chelsea?

aussiemag

Rumours are surfacing around the press tomorrow that Chelsea are set to bid for Oba Martins. They have no chance in getting him off us.... but for 25 million pounds would you..?

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1985840,00.html

Newcastle United are increasingly concerned that an "agent-driven" plan to move the striker Obafemi Martins to Chelsea in the January transfer window may unsettle the Nigerian.

It is said that Chelsea view Martins, who joined Newcastle from Internazionale in August, as a potential pacy partner for Didier Drogba, but within St James' Park there is anger that the story may be a fabrication.

"This is agent-driven, it is not from Obafemi Martins or Chelsea," said a senior figure at Newcastle, who pointed out the close working relationship between the Newcastle chairman, Freddy Shepherd, and Chelsea's chief executive, Peter Kenyon. The club are emphatic that Martins is not for sale and that there has been no contact from Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea may well be in the market for a striker, given their over-reliance on Drogba for goals this season and the relative failure of both Andriy Shevchencko and Salomon Kalou, both bought last summer, to make an impact. The Ukrainian in particular has provided scant return for a £30m investment, and the Ivorian striker Kalou was among those recently singled out for criticism by Jose Mourinho after a string of mediocre performances. The club have been linked with a move for the Tottenham forward Jermain Defoe, who also fits the profile of a small, fast foil to Drogba's powerful game.

A move for Martins, 22, has apparently been the subject of discussion on the Chelsea training pitches as players speculate as to who might be added to the squad. Newcastle do not want to give the story credibility by publicly commenting on it but behind the scenes they are sure where the connection has come from and why it has been made.

Martins signed a five-year contract when he arrived from Internazionale for £10.1m in late August and has handled the burden of inheriting Alan Shearer's No9 jersey with increasing confidence over the past five months. He has nine goals in 22 starts and Newcastle's manager, Glenn Roeder, believes his best form will be seen after his first season in English football. Martins is said to be happy on Tyneside but with Michael Owen still recovering from long-term injury Newcastle can ill afford to lose their main striker.

Agent cools Chelsea link for Newcastle's Martins

tribalfooball.com - January 05, 2007

The agent of Newcastle United striker Obafemi Martins has cooled talk of a shock move to Chelsea.

The Nigeria international was linked with Chelsea as part of a swap deal involving Shaun Wright-Phillips, with the two players exchanging clubs on-loan.

But his agent Patrick Bastianelli said: "Martins is very happy at Newcastle. He's settled there."

---------------------------------------------------

This is what i saw the other day.

Not gonna bother linking it, its tribal, so pointless, but thought i'd share.

The agent of Newcastle United striker Obafemi Martins has cooled talk of a shock move to Chelsea.

The Nigeria international was linked with Chelsea as part of a swap deal involving Shaun Wright-Phillips, with the two players exchanging clubs on-loan.

But his agent Patrick Bastianelli said: "Martins is very happy at Newcastle. He's settled there."

Swapping a forward for a right-winger would hardly be a sensible move.

You missed the bit where i said tribal ;)

:lol:

Yeah I saw that, know it's a wank site, just wondered how anyone could come up with something like that.

Yeah I saw that, know it's a wank site, just wondered how anyone could come up with something like that.

Acid mate, and the good stuff.

If they had put a loan swap involving Sheva, it might have caught some bait.

By throwing darts at the Prem's list of players? 

If they had put a loan swap involving Sheva, it might have caught some bait.

Really? He's one of the last players I'd take off their hands. He's finished, and hasn't the legs in the Premiership.