Ljunberg to West Ham

Nobby

Guest Gemmill

We must remember how hard it is to sign players, its not like other clubs are doing it...

It's the hardest thing in football.  And it is POINTLESS doing any planning or identifying any targets in advance of the window opening because all that will happen is someone else will put in a bigger bid and you lose them.  Better to just leave things until 8pm on the last day of the window and get Willie McKay on the blower.

"Planning" gets you nowhere in football.  "Fly by the seat of your pants" is where it's at.  :thup:

Matthew Kilgallon [Leeds - Sheff Utd] £1.75m

Nigel Quashie [West Brom - West Ham] £1.5m

Luis Boa Morte [Fulham - West Ham] Undisclosed

David Unsworth [sheffield United - Wigan] Free

Vincenzo Montella [Roma - Fulham] Loan

Ben Alnwick [sunderland - Tottenham] £900,000

Adel Taarabt [Lens - Tottenham] Loan

Hurry, HURRY, HURRY!! All the bestest players are going....

Wow a post showing me which OTHER players have gone to OTHER clubs.  My argument is in tatters.  Because we would only have had an option on the above-listed players as well.  There's no way we could have identified different players.

Wow a post showing me which OTHER players have gone to OTHER clubs.  My argument is in tatters.  Because we would only have had an option on the above-listed players as well.  There's no way we could have identified different players.

You're right, when commenting on how easy it is to sign players, an illustration of the lack of transfer activity from other teams in the same league is completely irrelevant. How could I be so foolish, I shall base all my future arguments on what Newcastle United can do solely on what happens when I play football manager.

Guest Gemmill

You're right, when commenting on how easy it is to sign players, examples of the lack of transfer activity from other teams in the same league is completely irrelevant. How could I be so foolish, I shall base all my future arguments on what Newcastle United can do solely on what happens when I play football manager.

I see how it works now - say for instance, if we were in the market for a goalkeeper, Ben Alnwick is the only one we could have possibly looked to buy.  Now I understand how this all works I won't make such a silly mistake again.

Well Bardsley on loan to Villa is missing and im sure Fulham have signed at least one more player, maybe 2.

Fact is other clubs are looking very active in trying to sign players and we are just getting comments in the local press from Roeder saying how hard it is and the same excuses as we had in the summer.

Now I would rather we kept our business secret but normally something gets and and as said with the comments Roeder is already coming out with im not at all confident!

Sounds about right tbh. West Ham are rolling the dice in the hope that someone comes in and changes their season around. Doubt it'll be Ljungberg though. Way past his best and I can't see him being that motivated to play West Ham out of trouble...

Would much rather Roeder went out and found the 'next' Ljungberg than sign this fucker.

We dont need Ljungberg, i'd say West Ham do. Not much creativity when Benayoun goes off form, and Etherington is shit.

Totally agree with you about Etherington, worst player i've seen for a long time. Has he gone to Fulham?

You're right, when commenting on how easy it is to sign players, examples of the lack of transfer activity from other teams in the same league is completely irrelevant. How could I be so foolish, I shall base all my future arguments on what Newcastle United can do solely on what happens when I play football manager.

I see how it works now - say for instance, if we were in the market for a goalkeeper, Ben Alnwick is the only one we could have possibly looked to buy.  Now I understand how this all works I won't make such a silly mistake again.

Sorry, I didn't realise your comprehension skills were poor, I'll try and spell it out for you.

• Every other club in the premiership is constantly looking for new players in certain areas.
  • They have all made "plans" on who they would like, ready for the transfer window (except us of course).
  • If transfers are easy and quick as you claim, then you would expect a glut of transfers would be made within the first few days of the transfer window opening.
  • After 8 days only 8 transfers in have been made by all the teams in the premiership combined (according to a usually reliable source, maybe there are 1 or 2 more not listed).
  • This suggests that transfers are in fact not easy and quick, and that anyone who thinks it's just a matter of "planning or identifying any targets in advance of the window opening" is a simplistic idiot.

Do you see how it works now?

Sorry, I didn't realise your comprehension skills were poor, I'll try and spell it out for you.

• Every other club in the premiership is constantly looking for new players in certain areas.
  • They have all made "plans" on who they would like, ready for the transfer window (except us of course).
  • If transfers are easy and quick as you claim, then you would expect a glut of transfers would be made within the first few days of the transfer window opening.
  • After 8 days only 8 transfers in have been made by all the teams in the premiership combined (according to a usually reliable source, maybe there are 1 or 2 more not listed).
  • This suggests that transfers are in fact not easy and quick, and that anyone who thinks it's just a matter of "planning or identifying any targets in advance of the window opening" is a simplistic idiot.

Do you see how it works now?

The problem i have is there isn't many teams in the EPL that were in need of reinforcements as much as us, not a single one.

But nothing has been done about it and if it wasn't for a red card we'd be out of the cup, as it is, we've now got another game where our battered team must perform, or half our hopes for the season is shot down.

Players can be signed quickly, Nobby deal was done in a matter of hours bringing him back here, some deals take longer, some never go through, but the problem is, were not even trying, well thats how it looks to me.

Maybe you see us doing everything in our power to sign players, i just keep on hearing excuses while the window ticks away.

I might be getting ahead of myself, maybe im impatient, but if your constantly let down time and time again then you sort of get the feeling one more time is coming your way.

Guest Gemmill

I understood it all before mate, don't worry.  The way it works is if other teams aren't buying players, neither can we.  It's all up here now *taps head*.  You've educated me.  Thank you for taking the time out to do so.

The problem i have is there isn't many teams in the EPL that were in need of reinforcements as much as us, not a single one.

The supporters of every single team in the league would say exactly the same thing.

We must remember how hard it is to sign players, its not like other clubs are doing it...

It's the hardest thing in football.  And it is POINTLESS doing any planning or identifying any targets in advance of the window opening because all that will happen is someone else will put in a bigger bid and you lose them.  Better to just leave things until 8pm on the last day of the window and get Willie McKay on the blower.

"Planning" gets you nowhere in football.  "Fly by the seat of your pants" is where it's at.  :thup:

Still failing to make the subtle yet fundamentally critical distinction between a plan and a strategy i see old boy  bluebigrazz.gif

Guest Gemmill

Still failing to make the subtle yet fundamentally critical distinction between a plan and a strategy i see old boy  bluebigrazz.gif

Regardless of the distinction, Newcastle United operate with neither in place.  Still failing to recognise that, old boy?  bluebigrazz.gif

Guest pont-toon

not an issue if an organisation uses a policy of strategic planning  tongue.gif

Regardless of the distinction, Newcastle United operate with neither in place.  Still failing to recognise that, old boy?  bluebigrazz.gif

The nature of the strategy, a need to not reveal our hands and a large PR department that is working for a PLC all means that it is hard to discern what if anything is in place.

My point is general about how clubs work the transfer window. There are no certainties.

Guest Gemmill

There are no certainties.

I'm well aware of that.  It's why I'm not one to get excited when we're linked with a player, until they're at the club having their medical.  But I don't believe for a second that we have anything approaching a structured transfer plan/strategy/whatever you want to call it in place at NUFC.  If we did we'd suffer disappointments like any other club, where we missed out on players, but we wouldn't make the sort of mistakes we keep repeating time and again.

I'd definitely take Ljungberg for the right price. Top player.

I think he's a bit past his sell-by date and not what we need either.

There are no certainties.

I'm well aware of that.  It's why I'm not one to get excited when we're linked with a player, until they're at the club having their medical.  But I don't believe for a second that we have anything approaching a structured transfer plan/strategy/whatever you want to call it in place at NUFC.  If we did we'd suffer disappointments like any other club, where we missed out on players, but we wouldn't make the sort of mistakes we keep repeating time and again.

If the PR department does its job properly, you wont know about those disappointments until a time that is optimal to release that information.

Oh aye and for the record, Freddie Ljungberg is a c***.

Why do you think so??

All those stories about him being a c*** tbh.

Which stories? By people or the papers? I come from sweden and i have not heard anything about him that is supposed to be that bad...And i read news on the internet every day for a couple of hours...

I dont like him though...Just wondering what you have heard about him really..

no, i disagree with that totally, you can objectively see which teams need reinforcements, 4 senior players available for training? haway, our 'squad' is fucked, anyone can see that

its all opinions of course, but i'd estimate that at least 80% of english football fans would tell you that this january,like every january, and every other month for the last ten years, newcastle need defenders

Why do you think so??

Which stories? By people or the papers? I come from sweden and i have not heard anything about him that is supposed to be that bad...And i read news on the internet every day for a couple of hours...

My brother has lived in Stockholm for 12 years and one of his best mates is a well known celebrity in Sweden. They both reckon he is a prize penis, presumably on first hand evidence. 

Why do you think so??

My brother has lived in Stockholm for 12 years and one of his best mates is a well known celebrity in Sweden. They both reckon he is a prize penis, presumably on first hand evidence. 

Ok i see...Cheers..

Wouldn't surprise me....But many footballers are probably the same i would believe...

The supporters of every single team in the league would say exactly the same thing.

I think we have a case this time though, do you not?  :roll: