Sir Bobby Robson - Legendary Newcastle United Manager?

James

I absolutely love and resepct SBR, to me he is equal best with Kevin Keegan as our best manager since the Premierleague started...If only he was younger when he joined us and FFS had more support for him I think we would have achieved something...

It still taste bitter how the board treated SBR in his final year...

SBR is a legendary manager, but not for what he did or did not do at NUFC.

The near Stalinist rewriting of history by the shitty tabloids after the 1990 World Cup was just incredible. He's a top, top man, and i really think you'd struggle to find a supporter of any club who'd disagree with that assessment.

Guest NSMagpie

Some have said he wasn't legendary because he never one anything, just curious, would you say the same about Keegan?

Kevin Keegan dramatically revived fortunes of the club, by saving NUFC from relegation to third tier of English football, and then bringing us in next few seasons to the very brink of winning Premier League title. Without him and Sir John Hall, Sir Bobby Robson wouldn't even have a chance to do much for the club, as without him our position would be so much different.

Still, Keegan's fame will be overshadowed to some extent if any NUFC manager succeeds in winning either PL or FA Cup in this decade or early in the next one. Sir Bobby Robson is no doubt a true legend, but in most part not for what he did as NUFC manager.

Guest londonmaglad

So taking us as far as we've ever got in the champions league isn't legendary? Getting us there in the first place with the squad we had isnt legendary?

Getting the msot out of Shearer in spite of his previous injuries and him getting less mobile?

If Keegan is a legendary manager why isn't Sir Bobby?

So taking us as far as we've ever got in the champions league isn't legendary? Getting us there in the first place with the squad we had isnt legendary?

Getting the msot out of Shearer in spite of his previous injuries and him getting less mobile?

Trying to think which part makes Keegan a legend too?

The part where he buckled under the pressure losing the title, or the part where he ran away like a coward like he's done in every job?

Can forgive him for buckling, as it could happen to anyone, but he's a coward and always will be.

The part where he buckled under the pressure losing the title, or the part where he ran away like a coward like he's done in every job?

Can forgive him for buckling, as it could happen to anyone, but he's a coward and always will be.

I love Keegan for what he did with us, but I agree with the coward sentiments. Although perhaps 'coward' wouldn't be the word i'd use, but can't think of anything else.

Tried walking out a few times, and has done so at every other team.

SBR had the chance to become a legend here, but in all honestly blew it after we made it into the top 4. All the squad needed was some fine tuning and we could have been realistic title contenders. Instead we bought in the likes of Bramble, Viana and Bowyer when we needed proven quality defenders.

I love Keegan for what he did with us, but I agree with the coward sentiments. Although perhaps 'coward' wouldn't be the word i'd use, but can't think of anything else.

Tried walking out a few times, and has done so at every other team.

Coward is a harsh word, but the fact he hasn't returned to football since walking out (again) from his last job shows the word unfortunately fits the person.

Going gets tough, super KK fuks off and hides.

SBR would be the man who goes down with the ship clinging on to the wheel hoping he can somehow change the inevitable.

Keegan would be climbing over wounded children to get to a lifeboat.

If taking us from what was possibly the brink of extinction to genuine league contenders doesn't make KK a legend then what does? Clueless tbh.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

tbh given the competition in the modern era, I'd say SBR was a legendary manager for us. Most have done shite and we don't look to be hiring any good managers under FS imo.

If taking us from what was possibly the brink of extinction to genuine league contenders doesn't make KK a legend then what does? Clueless tbh.

That was down to the SJH not KK.

KK can spedn money, wow big deal.

So keep up with the deluded clueless remarks.

Put it this way, if SBR was brought in when KK was, how would things of ended up?

KK wasn't that special, just at the time it was easy to create a club with little money as long as you had the supporters ready to pay the dosh.

Some have said he wasn't legendary because he never one anything, just curious, would you say the same about Keegan?

Kevin Keegan dramatically revived fortunes of the club, by saving NUFC from relegation to third tier of English football, and then bringing us in next few seasons to the very brink of winning Premier League title. Without him and Sir John Hall, Sir Bobby Robson wouldn't even have a chance to do much for the club, as without him our position would be so much different.

Still, Keegan's fame will be overshadowed to some extent if any NUFC manager succeeds in winning either PL or FA Cup in this decade or early in the next one. Sir Bobby Robson is no doubt a true legend, but in most part not for what he did as NUFC manager.

Remember too, that SBR was also asked to become manager by Lord Westwood in 1975, to replace the retiring Joe Harvey. Robson was at Ipswich then, but despite his being a 'dyed-in-the-wool' Black & White, he refused.

This was at a time when he could have really done well - he was only 42 then. However, Lord Westwood & Co had a bad reputation for lack of genuine ambition(selling top players), so no doubt that had some bearing on Robson's refusal

and you can understand that.

I have less sympathy with his refusal to take the job after SJH asked him when KK left - he said that it was due to his sense of loyalty to Barca, but everyone and his Uncle knew that Barca were going to replace him with Van Gaal - I reckon Bobby wanted the contract pay-off , but that was his decision.What is indisputable is that we would have been in a much better state at that time, he was a few years younger - there was a load of money for players, and I reckon we might just have grabbed the title within a year or so.

There is no doubt he did a very good job during his first 4 years, even though he DID make some poor value signings, but he should have gone gracefully at the end of 2003/4 - had lost the Dressing Room and the Club needed a strong(but RESPECTED!)new broom - NOT Souness. SBR definitely among top 3 NUFC managers of all time, but that is not saying much - he was at his best before he arrived.