Pearson to take charge of U21s?

James

Papers this morning are saying that Pearce will manage the U21s during the summer World Cup, but that before then, Nigel Pearson will be in charge in a caretaker capacity.

Pearce will then depart in favour of a long-term successor.

May be a worry that we could lose Pearson if the FA and McClaren like the look of him.

Even worse, Shepherd might think that he could make a good manager to succeed Roeder.

Don't see us losing him. U21's is a far less pressure job and you can easily do it while continuing to manage a club.

Would be a great benefit imo, as he would get to watch all the top young players in training and then report back to Roeder.

Nigel for England

Jan 28 2007

By Neil Farrington, The Sunday Sun

Newcastle coach Nigel Pearson will be given a key role in the England Under-21 set up under Stuart Pearce.

I understand the FA have sounded out Newcastle about the prospect of releasing Pearson for England duty in anticipation of Pearce agreeing to succeed Peter Taylor as Under-21s boss.

And United are willing to allow Pearson to work at this summer's European Under-21 Championships.

Manchester City are reluctant to allow Pearce to combine managing at Eastlands with taking charge of England's youngsters.

But Pearce is intent on doing both jobs - and has made it clear he wants Pearson on board with him at Under-21 level.

If the situation is resolved quickly, Pearson and Pearce will link up for the first time with the Under-21 squad ahead of the friendly against Spain a week on Tuesday.

Pearson only joined Roeder's backroom staff in October, but has quickly made an impression at St James's Park.

Before joining West Brom as assistant to Bryan Robson, he spent more than two years coaching England's junior sides from Under-16 to Under-20 level.

I think it would be great for him.

I believe the defense is playing better since he's been here, i think were conceding as many due to even more injuries and suspensions to the little defenders we've got.

Might help bring the rep of the club up with young English players, we need every help we can get.

All he is going to do is work with Physco and the U21 squad, will be good for more of our youngsters. He has done a good job with us and I don;t think him going missign a few times a seasonw ill cost us in any way.

Pearce has officially taken the job.

Not quite. He has "been offered the job and has accepted it" but City have not given him permission.

City clearly dont want him to take the job...so what is odd is, how has he got himself into the of making a decision over the position? Surely - if the FA want him - their first port of call should be our board and asking if they would mind if they offered him the position part time. But no, they've offered him the job first? You expect these kind of things with Willie McKay and co, but being tapped up by the FA? FFS  :uglystupid2:

BTW, its highly debatable whether or not he's good enough manager for City - he certainly isn't good enough to manage England's future, let alone do both jobs. I'm certainly not happy with him taking the job and I hope the board will put their foot down and make him choose a job  :knuppel2:.