Looking up the table

Guest TampaToon

I'm gonna break it down, in typically optimistic fashion:

5th - Bolton are in trouble, if you ask me. They couldn't put Charlton away last night and are being hit by injuries to some very important players. Watford away at the weekend is hardly an easy game, either. Davies, arguably their pivotal player, is out for 3 weeks and Anelka is a major doubt this week. I'm sure I saw on SSN earlier that another one or two first teamers are now injured, as well. Ben Haim being out of favour is also an important factor as Meite and Faye together are dodgy, IMO. They also have to play away at Tottenham, Man Utd, Wigan, Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham this season (in that order.) And they still have an FA Cup replay to attend to.

6th - Portsmouth haven't won for 5 games now in the league and are also coming off that disappointing loss to Man Utd in the FA Cup. Their remaining fixtures are very similar to ours in that they still have to play the big 4 at home, but they arguably have tougher away ties. Everton and Aston Villa being the two that stand out. We do have to go to Fratton Park, mind, in what could be a huge game. I'm not sure if they're good enough to remain this high up.

7th - Reading have just lost their best defender for the rest of the season (Sonko), which is a massive blow to them and Doyle is also out for a month or more. They still have to play away to Arsenal, Tottenham and Bolton and their other away games are hardly easy, either. It's going to home form or bust if they're to remain so high, with Villa, Portsmouth, Liverpool, Fulham, NUFC and Watford to visit - all winnable games, but I can see a lot of draws in there. They're unbeaten in 4 games in the PL, won 3, drew 1!

8th - Everton still have to play the big 4, Liverpool/Chelsea away and Man Utd/Arsenal at Goodison, but aside from that I doubt they're too fearful of their other games, especially at home. Johnson being out for another 2 weeks is obviously good news for us and McFadden's injury is more significant than most probably think. Struggling for firepower at the minute and Liverpool away at the weekend, the immediate future looks bleak. But with Johnson back and Fernandes arriving a little later they might start to charge with 6-8 games left.

9th - NUFC have easily the most crippling injury list AND the prospect of the UEFA Cup, two major disadvantages league-wise against the 4 teams mentioned above. We arguably have the "best" remaining league fixtures, with Man Utd/Bolton/Spurs/Everton already played twice and Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool all coming to St. James'. Reading (a) and Portsmouth (a) are two games where at least a draw seems essential for our European qualification hopes. I'm quietly confident that if we can keep a settled back four and keep Martins/Dyer/Milner fit, in particular, then we could sneak up into top-seven quite comfortably.

10th - Spurs - Have the UEFA Cup, same as us, but the bastards might be getting a bye which will help their league form immensely, due to having fresher players. Like us, are struggling with injuries to key players at the moment, but unlike us these injuries don't seem to be incredibly long-term. Still have Man Utd (weekend) and Arsenal to play at the Lane, but they have to visit Chelsea and are still in the FA Cup, due to their usual lucky draws. Hopefully they'll get tonked away at Fulham in the fifth round, but I wouldn't mind them having to go to a replay, even if it meant them progressing. They'll never win it as long as Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea are in it anyway. The more games Spurs play, the better as their league run-in is fairly straight forward, perhaps even better than ours.

I'm not counting out the teams from 11th down, I just had a gargantuan shite mid-post and it killed my thought-train... which is much like a ho-train, except without the sluttly broads :icon_rr:

Were riding our luck at home, and even more so away. When that luck runs out we'll just have to hope we have some players back, if not then we will struggle.

I'm still looking down, after this season and these injuries, i just want to see this club finish ahead of WHU & Charlton, we do that, were guaranteed to be here next season.

I'm gonna break it down, in typically optimistic fashion:

5th - Bolton are in trouble, if you ask me. They couldn't put Charlton away last night and are being hit by injuries to some very important players. Watford away at the weekend is hardly an easy game, either. Davies, arguably their pivotal player, is out for 3 weeks and Anelka is a major doubt this week. I'm sure I saw on SSN earlier that another one or two first teamers are now injured, as well. Ben Haim being out of favour is also an important factor as Meite and Faye together are dodgy, IMO. They also have to play away at Tottenham, Man Utd, Wigan, Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham this season (in that order.) And they still have an FA Cup replay to attend to.

6th - Portsmouth haven't won for 5 games now in the league and are also coming off that disappointing loss to Man Utd in the FA Cup. Their remaining fixtures are very similar to ours in that they still have to play the big 4 at home, but they arguably have tougher away ties. Everton and Aston Villa being the two that stand out. We do have to go to Fratton Park, mind, in what could be a huge game. I'm not sure if they're good enough to remain this high up.

7th - Reading have just lost their best defender for the rest of the season (Sonko), which is a massive blow to them and Doyle is also out for a month or more. They still have to play away to Arsenal, Tottenham and Bolton and their other away games are hardly easy, either. It's going to home form or bust if they're to remain so high, with Villa, Portsmouth, Liverpool, Fulham, NUFC and Watford to visit - all winnable games, but I can see a lot of draws in there. They're unbeaten in 4 games in the PL, won 3, drew 1!

8th - Everton still have to play the big 4, Liverpool/Chelsea away and Man Utd/Arsenal at Goodison, but aside from that I doubt they're too fearful of their other games, especially at home. Johnson being out for another 2 weeks is obviously good news for us and McFadden's injury is more significant than most probably think. Struggling for firepower at the minute and Liverpool away at the weekend, the immediate future looks bleak. But with Johnson back and Fernandes arriving a little later they might start to charge with 6-8 games left.

9th - NUFC have easily the most crippling injury list AND the prospect of the UEFA Cup, two major disadvantages league-wise against the 4 teams mentioned above. We arguably have the "best" remaining league fixtures, with Man Utd/Bolton/Spurs/Everton already played twice and Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool all coming to St. James'. Reading (a) and Portsmouth (a) are two games where at least a draw seems essential for our European qualification hopes. I'm quietly confident that if we can keep a settled back four and keep Martins/Dyer/Milner fit, in particular, then we could sneak up into top-seven quite comfortably.

10th - Spurs - Have the UEFA Cup, same as us, but the bastards might be getting a bye which will help their league form immensely, due to having fresher players. Like us, are struggling with injuries to key players at the moment, but unlike us these injuries don't seem to be incredibly long-term. Still have Man Utd (weekend) and Arsenal to play at the Lane, but they have to visit Chelsea and are still in the FA Cup, due to their usual lucky draws. Hopefully they'll get tonked away at Fulham in the fifth round, but I wouldn't mind them having to go to a replay, even if it meant them progressing. They'll never win it as long as Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea are in it anyway. The more games Spurs play, the better as their league run-in is fairly straight forward, perhaps even better than ours.

You should post that on the main site :thup:

Well considered and entertaining read.

Guest Gemmill

Is it just here, btw, that Spurs are the most hated team in the league or is it the general opinion in Newcastle?

Just on here I think. My hatred for them has increased tenfold in the last year or so.

Walking away from the match along Percy Street yesterday and heard this woman saying "Eee sometimes at work you know, I go on Newcastle message boards, and you wouldn't believe the chatter between our lot and the Spurs fans.  They really hate each other, although it can be quite puerile at times."  :cheesy:

I resisted the urge to stop her and ask if she wanted my autograph as the greatest poster these message boards have ever produced.  :coolsmiley: :tongue:

Is it just here, btw, that Spurs are the most hated team in the league or is it the general opinion in Newcastle?

Just on here I think. My hatred for them has increased tenfold in the last year or so.

Walking away from the match along Percy Street yesterday and heard this woman saying "Eee sometimes at work you know, I go on Newcastle message boards, and you wouldn't believe the chatter between our lot and the Spurs fans.  They really hate each other, although it can be quite puerile at times."  :cheesy:

I resisted the urge to stop her and ask if she wanted my autograph as the greatest poster these message boards have ever produced.  :coolsmiley: :tongue:

;D

Guest Gemmill

When I say produced, I don't want any of you thinking you can take any credit btw.  I'm self-made, this just happens to be my stage.

:lol:

This isn't sour grapes from last night, but the impression I get is that you are riding your luck to some extent. Similar to the way we did at the start of the season, only to see it spectacularly disappear later on.

The game last night, the Spurs game, they were 6 points you were - imho - lucky to get.

having said that, this league is so shit, that anyone who puts together a 3 or 4 match run can find themselves in a European position, so anything could happen.

This isn't sour grapes from last night, but the impression I get is that you are riding your luck to some extent. Similar to the way we did at the start of the season, only to see it spectacularly disappear later on.

The game last night, the Spurs game, they were 6 points you were - imho - lucky to get.

having said that, this league is so shit, that anyone who puts together a 3 or 4 match run can find themselves in a European position, so anything could happen.

Very much so. I'm not looking forward to the Liverpool game, we'll be raped playing like we are currently.

Difference between now and the start of the season is mainly luck. I do think Pearson has had a positive effect on the defense, but with so many injuries to our defenders, the true impact has yet to take place.

Still though, luck will run out, lets just hope by then we have more of our players back.

Guest Gemmill

Spot on mate.  You won't get any argument from anyone with a brain on this.  I would say most if not all of the games in January we've been very lucky to get away with the points we have.  Birmingham is about the only one that was a true reflection.

Guest Jangles

Got to say the talk of luck is a bit over the top. Yes we've had more than our fair share of luck against Hotpants and Villa but think back to the start of the season when nothing fell our way against the likes of Boro and Charlton, I think its fair to say that these things even themselves out over a season (with the exception of our luck with injuries).

Plus to an extent youve got to make your own luck. Our midfield was non existant and letting Villa pile pressure on our defence who threw themselves infront of everything making some good blocks and goal line clearances - lucky? Harper made a couple of very good saves - lucky? They missed a couple of sitters, but then again so did we.

And I think Butts injury contributed significantly to Villas dominance as Dyer offered very little in central midfield meaning they could control the middle of the park putting more pressure on our defence

Guest Knightrider

By the same token we have been very unlucky this season with regards to injuries so perhaps things are being evened out and I'm a firm believer that you make your own luck anyway and that at the end of the season, these things tend to balance themselves out regardless. That said you are right, we are one short slip away from going in the other direction and not only have luck to run out, but an injury to Martins, both would seriously hamper us.

I'm in no doubt there is another "wheels off" around the corner ala the Birmingham defeat (although not by the same margin or nature - freak result IMO), maybe Liverpool at home, but it's all about how we bounce back, like we have done after the Sheff Utd defeat and the Cup defeat. I don't mind losing to the better teams if we pick up points against the Villas of this world which we have been doing, or winning 2, drawing one and loosing the next quite badly ala Bolton away.

Guest Knightrider

Regarding the table and our chances, little signs may indicate how we'll fare and these things to me suggest an upwards trajectory. Form - we are in the top 5 for form over the last 8 games or so, Goals - we are scoring goals and they are coming from all over the pitch, Injuries - importantly we are seeing the return of some key injured players. In short we have the momentum over clubs around us and while maintaining it will be hard, I'd far rather be in our run than Villa's which point to a downward trajectory ala Wigan who only a few weeks back were in mid-table hovering around a UEFA spot, now they are in serious danger of going down. It is harder to stop a rot and bounce back than to maintain steady form. Another plus, we've been here before this time last season so hopefully that experience will serve us in good stead. Of late we have the knack of picking up points when we need to and that's the sign of a team who have paced themselves well (we've played more games than any other team and have had more injuries than any other team, despite having one of the smallest squad's in the Prem). And another good thing - the spirit is fantastic and and we aren't folding like we used to, we are much more of a goal threat these days and even when being dominated ala Man Utd, Spurs and last night Villa, we have enough going forward to cause teams problems and to capitilise. I'm fairly confident that, providing we see no more injuries to key players and can bounce back from the inevitable defeats that we'll suffer, we can finish in a European place which would be a fantastic achievemnt in what has been an awful season. Fingers crossed.

Regarding the table and our chances, little signs may indicate how we'll fare and these things to me suggest an upwards trajectory. Form - we are in the top 5 for form over the last 8 games or so, Goals - we are scoring goals and they are coming from all over the pitch, Injuries - importantly we are seeing the return of some key injured players. In short we have the momentum over clubs around us and while maintaining it will be hard, I'd far rather be in our run than Villa's which point to a downward trajectory ala Wigan who only a few weeks back were in mid-table hovering around a UEFA spot, now they are in serious danger of going down. It is harder to stop a rot and bounce back than to maintain steady form. Another plus, we've been here before this time last season so hopefully that experience will serve us in good stead. Of late we have the knack of picking up points when we need to and that's the sign of a team who have paced themselves well (we've played more games than any other team and have had more injuries than any other team, despite having one of the smallest squad's in the Prem). And another good thing - the spirit is fantastic and and we aren't folding like we used to, we are much more of a goal threat these days and even when being dominated ala Man Utd, Spurs and last night Villa, we have enough going forward to cause teams problems and to capitilise. I'm fairly confident that, providing we see no more injuries to key players and can bounce back from the inevitable defeats that we'll suffer, we can finish in a European place which would be a fantastic achievemnt in what has been an awful season. Fingers crossed.

A very very very positive view for the rest of the season.

It could very well happen, but its got to go our way, which means needing more luck.

Guest Gemmill

Re the returning players thing:  there's always the chance that if these players come back and we can keep them fit, we'll benefit from the fact that half of our squad has effectively had an extended mid-season break.  We could potentially finish the season quite strongly as tiredness sets in in other squads.

[/overly optimistic drivel]

:-[ :-[ :-[

Guest Gemmill

When I say produced, I don't want any of you thinking you can take any credit btw.  I'm self-made, this just happens to be my stage.

:idiot2:

As Leazes Mag would say......F A C T S.

The luck we've had over the last five or six games has been incredible. So many times the ball was scrambled away from the goal or deflected just wide, a tiny change and we'd have conceded every time. Not once in that period have we kept teams out by being solid. It's 11 games since our last clean sheet too.

Guest Gemmill

E G O

F A C T S

E G O

F A C T S

G E M M I L O M A N I A C

Guest Knightrider

The luck we've had over the last five or six games has been incredible. So many times the ball was scrambled away from the goal or deflected just wide, a tiny change and we'd have conceded every time. Not once in that period have we kept teams out by being solid. It's 11 games since our last clean sheet too.

I think we have defended bravely in many of those games, i.e. throwing bodies at the ball, player, off the line etc. which had this been a team fighting relegation or for the title, would be seen as good defending, moments that win titles or keep you up. I know what you are saying though and agree, I'm just not too concerned, I mean it's not as if we have a good defence so I'll take these brave bits of defending as a bonus because I've seen us collapse to manic defending far too often. I think Pearson has had an effect in that respect because earlier on the season we were very standoffish and just allowed things to happen, ala Bolton at home. Today we think, well yes they're through and there is danger, but they're gonna have to trample all over me to get in, or I'm gonna hurt myself here to keep them out, ala Taylor nearly crashing his head off the bar las night, or Bramble nearly getting his head taken off had things went the other way with that stooping header. That is probably also a sign of good character in the team, we fight more, we look uglier and defend uglier, all positives anyway IMO.