Woody sold to Boro

kirkwdavis2001

It's quite ridiculous that Real don't want to keep him.  Ramos is shite and picks up about 15 bookings a season.

Cannavaro and Woodgate would be the best centre back pairing in Europe.

Not that I'm complaining, though!    :thup:

A fully fit Woodgate is the best English defender. If he has a good season at Boro and carries on playing more games I would like to see us make a move. The potential in a partnership betweem Woody and Gooch or Woody and Taylor is immense.

At the moment there is still too many questions over his fitness.

Gooch could be a load of s****, lets not build the lad up just yet.

To be fair to me I did say potential, thats why I mentioned Taylor as well because we may not keep Gooch!

Guest Gemmill

A fully fit Woodgate is the best English defender. If he has a good season at Boro and carries on playing more games I would like to see us make a move. The potential in a partnership betweem Woody and Gooch or Woody and Taylor is immense.

To be fair to me I did say potential, thats why I mentioned Taylor as well because we may not keep Gooch!

If we're extending Bramble and Sibierki's contracts, Gooch is nailed on to be kept on tbh.  The standard has been set.  And it is positively subterranean.

Guest Retro Barker

As a Boro fan, it bemuses me that all this is suddenly new news? Its not, when Boro signed woody on loan at the begining of the season they had already agreed terms with Real for the permanent signature at the end of the season.

Woody has not agreed personal terms though. He has always said he will make a decision at the end of the season,

Woody however has said that he has unfinished business at real madrid, this is where he wants to play his football. I'd be very surprised if he did sign for us, as I cant help but feel he will be off to Chelsea in the summer.

I know, mate, it was more of a general comment. He's played one game so far, half of which he seemed great for, the other half he seemed vulnerable.

If we're extending Bramble and Sibierki's contracts, Gooch is nailed on to be kept on tbh.  The standard has been set.  And it is positively subterranean.

Extending Brambles contract would be the end. If Roeder does that, there will be NO way of saying he is not a complete and utter waste of time as a Premiership manager.

I think Brambles contract may depend on how well Gooch does. But I agree he should not get a new contract. He has had enough chances now and there are too many mistakes in his game, things that are not going to be ironed out. But this is Newcastle so I can see us handing him a new contract!

I would be happy with Bramble as 4th choice but his wages certainly wont reflect that, I would also be happy if we gave him a new contract to flog him on but I doubt that will happen. Given the state we look to be in I would rather we kept hold of Bramble anyway, no matter what people say I think he is a lot better than Ramage and although the young lads have come in and done well and im quite confident will go on to be better than Bramble (Edgar and Hunts that is) I still feel Bramble is currently the better player, its just when the youngens make a mistake its put down to inexperience (which is fair as they are young but during a match it still matters as much as Bramble making the mistake).

http://www.gg-chat.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=70250&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

A Spurs fan thinks Dawson is better than Woodgate! :lol: :lol: :lol:

A list of top ten English defender by "Alan Shearer", a Toon fan I suppose.

Woodgate

Terry

Ferdinand

Campbell

Carragher

King

Richards

Taylor

Lescott

Upson

Why is Upson in there and no Curtis Davies? And Linvoy Primus?

Can't believe that there are some Spurs fan who think Dawson is better than Lescott. I can accept that, though disagreeing, some saying King being marginally better than Woodgate. But Dawson better than Lescott?

Guest smoggeordie

.cock

Also starting against Spain for England is Dyer's former Toon colleague Jonathan Woodgate, another player who has seen his career blighted by injury problems.

And the Magpie midfielder added: "It's fitting that Jonathan Woodgate has returned to international football in the same squad as me.

"We've been like the cursed injury twins of English football for the last five years or so, it's amazing how unfortunate we've both been with injuries.

"We've been good mates since we played for the Under-21s together and we've helped each other through the dark days that inevitably come when you have so many injuries.

"We know what each other has been through and we've helped lift each other's spirits when they've needed lifting. Hopefully we can put all our fitness trouble behind us now and get on with our careers, with club and country.

"It's a new beginning for us. Because of injuries people have forgotten about us. Obviously there are some excellent players in the England squad, but we both want to make our mark.

"Woody, for me, is one of the best defenders in the world, but he's had even more injury problems than I have. He should have 50 or 60 caps by now.

"When he was at Newcastle he was unbelievable. If you ask anyone who played with him then, they would say he was the best defender they have ever played with. He's quick, strong and clever, he's unflappable, he eases other people through games."

Guest kingdawson

http://www.gg-chat.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=70250&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Woodgate

Terry

Ferdinand

Campbell

Carragher

King

Richards

Taylor

Lescott

Upson

Can't believe that there are some Spurs fan who think Dawson is better than Lescott. I can accept that, though disagreeing, some saying King being marginally better than Woodgate. But Dawson better than Lescott?

yep Dawson's the better centre back (hence the continuous england call ups). Some players on that list shouldnt be there but i dont really wanna start an argument.

Woodgate

Terry

Ferdinand

Campbell

Carragher

King

Richards

Taylor

Lescott

Upson

yep Dawson's the better centre back (hence the continuous england call ups). Some players on that list shouldnt be there but i dont really wanna start an argument.

There are a lot of players who have had endless call ups but really havent deserved them! Dawson is very average and this is often proved any time King is injured! Bramble and even Andy bloody O'Brien looked good players next to Woodgate!

Guest kingdawson

Woodgate

Terry

Ferdinand

Campbell

Carragher

King

Richards

Taylor

Lescott

Upson

There are a lot of players who have had endless call ups but really havent deserved them! Dawson is very average and this is often proved any time King is injured! Bramble and even Andy bloody O'Brien looked good players next to Woodgate!

Lescott has had half a good season whilst dawson had an Excellent season last year (should have been our player of the year) and was outstanding in he's first six months at our club. He's been good this year but nothing special. Lescott's definatly had the better season so far.

Woodgate

Terry

Ferdinand

Campbell

Carragher

King

Richards

Taylor

Lescott

Upson

Lescott has had half a good season whilst dawson had an Excellent season last year (should have been our player of the year) and was outstanding in he's first six months at our club. He's been good this year but nothing special. Lescott's definatly had the better season so far.

Lescott is utter shite. Dawson is a class above him imo, and i think Dawson is plain average.

King is not a good a defender as Woodgate, physically he's stronger in all areas, but Woody outclasses him in every other department.

Lescott is utter s****. Dawson is a class above him imo, and i think Dawson is plain average.

King is not a good a defender as Woodgate, physically he's stronger in all areas, but Woody outclasses him in every other department.

Why do you think Lescott is utter sh1te? Honestly I would be extremely happy if Taylor's partner is Lescott.

Also, physical attributes are part and parcel in defensive ability. Hence I can "understand" that some people see King marginally better than Woodgate. But ultimately I very much disagree with this for though Woodgate is not as tough as King, he rarely get outmuscled and he has hardly been bullied by any physical players in premiership. Perhaps in Newcastle and Boro he has Bramble and Potagetz respectively, but in Leeds he had Rio Ferdinand!

Lescott is utter s****. Dawson is a class above him imo, and i think Dawson is plain average.

Why do you think Lescott is utter sh1te? Honestly I would be extremely happy if Taylor's partner is Lescott.

Also, physical attributes are part and parcel in defensive ability. Hence I can "understand" that some people see King marginally better than Woodgate. But ultimately I very much disagree with this for though Woodgate is not as tough as King, he rarely get outmuscled and he has hardly been bullied by any physical players in premiership. Perhaps in Newcastle and Boro he has Bramble and Potagetz respectively, but in Leeds he had Rio Ferdinand!

Nobody that ugly can be good at anything bar scaring children and surviving nuclear fallout with his inbred family.

The continuous England call ups are more due to lack of competition, his physical resemblence to John Terry (the then hottest England star) rather than his true ability (not mean to offend you).

Dawson was in Tottenham, an up and coming premiership club. Lescott was in Wolves (and missed a whole season), Championship struggler. Davies in West Brom, a premiership relegation contender. Taylor in Newcastle, injured or alongside Boumsong/Bramble. Also, Taylor and Davies are a few years younger than Dawson.

Don't forget that, in senior squad, both Wes Brown and Jonathan Woodgate were always injured.

This leave Terry, Ferdinand, Campbell, Carragher, King as the only recognised senior defenders. If Dawson is not called up who else???

PS Upson was playing for Birmingham, a relegation contender. He is also a good few years older than Dawson, hence pointless to groom him as the next generation defensive pillar.

Guest kingdawson

The continuous England call ups are more due to lack of competition, his physical resemblence to John Terry (the then hottest England star) rather than his true ability (not mean to offend you).

Dawson was in Tottenham, an up and coming premiership club. Lescott was in Wolves (and missed a whole season), Championship struggler. Davies in West Brom, a premiership relegation contender. Taylor in Newcastle, injured or alongside Boumsong/Bramble. Also, Taylor and Davies are a few years younger than Dawson.

Don't forget that, in senior squad, both Wes Brown and Jonathan Woodgate were always injured.

This leave Terry, Ferdinand, Campbell, Carragher, King as the only recognised senior defenders. If Dawson is not called up who else???

PS Upson was playing for Birmingham, a relegation contender. He is also a good few years older than Dawson, hence pointless to groom him as the next generation defensive pillar.

Mate what forget is that Dawson was called up to the full England squad at 19 when he was still playing for Forest.

Mate what forget is that Dawson was called up to the full England squad at 19 when he was still playing for Forest.

Evidence please?

I'm sure he did just to train then be sent away again so SGE could have a look at him.

He was in no way going to be picked if am thinking of the right player though.

EDIT:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/profile?id=19812&cc=null

'His impressed enough to be invited to join the senior England side for their squad sessions in November 2002.'

Aye, just to train, not up for selection, am sure SGE did that with a few players.

Guest kingdawson

Evidence please?

I'm sure he did just to train then be sent away again so SGE could have a look at him.

He was in no way going to be picked if am thinking of the right player though.

EDIT:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/profile?id=19812&cc=null

'His impressed enough to be invited to join the senior England side for their squad sessions in November 2002.'

Aye, just to train, not up for selection, am sure SGE did that with a few players.

no think he was the only one actually. Thanks for the link though.