Same points as this time last year

Dunedin

Souness took over a top five club and spent £50 million on it. Roeder took over a potless shambles. That isn't to say I think Roeder is the quality of Manager we need, but he has a major rebuilding job on his hands.

I'd say there hasn't been much difference in terms of quality of football. At least Roeder puts out half-sensible teams now and then; I don't think I agreed with a Souness first XI since the day he joined. Souness put us in the shit and Roder is struggling to get us out.

What I hate about Roeder is he promises things, and doesn't do it.

He promised at least two or three signings this transfer window and didn't get one, well he got a "loan" signing, but I think it was a bit of a panic buy.

Then he keeps on saying he doesn't use injuries as an exscuse, but he uses them all the time!

He keeps on saying things like "Iv'e never used injuries as an exscuse, but if Owen and Ameobi would have been fit we would be doing much better, that is not an excuse that is a fact" How the f*** does he know?!?!

And then he goes on and on about how good Luque is in training, and he doesn't give him a chance!?!?! Roeder should just shut up and do his f**king job!

He clearly isn't going to take us back to the top, Roeder is a manager that would be over the moon if we finished 6th, we need a top manager who has ambitions to take us all the way to 1st place were we belong!

Maybe it's just me thats a bit to ambitios, but how any NUFC fan can be pleased with how this season has been is beyond me. Roeder said him selv he had cash to spend this transfer window, but he didn't buy anyone and thats his fault. he has spent £16m at the beginning of the season, and both Roeder and the chairman said Roeder was backed 100% in this transfer window. he should of bought some short term players, that what any half decent manager would do, for christ sake our sqaud is paper thin!!!

Sheffield was only one match, so was Birmingham, so was Charlton, Fulham was only one match.

Have I forgot anything?

Yes you've forgotten one thing. You support the club apparently. If people cant see the difference between the shite that Souness served up and the football that Roeder has encouraged us to play (minus Owen & Shearer) then they are not watching the same side that i saw last season. Souness's side couldnt string two passes together, let alone elicit praise from the southern press for actually trying to play football.

Charlton/Fulham weren't the Souness levels. Birmingham, aye, i'd give you that - and worse.

And besides, Souness ALSO drew at home to Charlton and he ALSO lost at home to Fulham, 4-1.

So now you have been converted from a Roeder basher to a Roeder lover? Apologies in advance if I am oversimplifying things.

Funny that, I have turned into a Roeder - opposer from a Roeder supporter. I still wish Roeder all the best but I have drawn the conclusion that Roeder isn't the right man for this club for long term future, and there are + there were better, more qualified available managers in the market whom we should go for.

Gareth Southgate is improving slowly. Stuart Pearce, despite his eccentricities, doesn't look like the man to drag Man City down to Championship.  Paul Jewell isn't a bad manager either. Coleman is proven to be decent manager. Warnock is a vastly experienced manager aided by another immensely experience coach Brian Kidd. There are a few up and coming young managers from the Championship, Paul Simpson and Billy Davies. Roy Keane too.

What exactly does Roeder offer?

Motivation skills? Plenty of managers have that. Academy record? Quite a few clubs are now having very decent academies. Cautios transfer policy? Apart from Curbishley of West Ham you won't see any mad managers spending mad money anymore (unless the club has bottomless money supply)

Despite implying about the lack of fund, Roeder has forgetten that he splashed out 10 millions for Martins who brings instance success to us. How many clubs can afford to splash 10m just for a striker? 10m for a successful striker isn't something exceptional. Everton paid 8m for Andy Johnson. Bolton paid 8m for Anelka. Liverpool paid 9m for Dirk Kuyt. Tottenham paid 11m for Berbatov. Aston Villa paid 9m for Ashley Young. Apart from Young the others have proven to be a success just like Martins.

What is the edge Roeder has that others don't?

Charlton/Fulham weren't the Souness levels. Birmingham, aye, i'd give you that - and worse.

And besides, Souness ALSO drew at home to Charlton and he ALSO lost at home to Fulham, 4-1.

So now you have been converted from a Roeder basher to a Roeder lover? Apologies in advance if I am oversimplifying things.

Funny that, I have turned into a Roeder - opposer from a Roeder supporter. I still wish Roeder all the best but I have drawn the conclusion that Roeder isn't the right man for this club for long term future, and there are + there were better, more qualified available managers in the market whom we should go for.

Gareth Southgate is improving slowly. Stuart Pearce, despite his eccentricities, doesn't look like the man to drag Man City down to Championship.  Paul Jewell isn't a bad manager either. Coleman is proven to be decent manager. Warnock is a vastly experienced manager aided by another immensely experience coach Brian Kidd. There are a few up and coming young managers from the Championship, Paul Simpson and Billy Davies. Roy Keane too.

What exactly does Roeder offer?

Motivation skills? Plenty of managers have that. Academy record? Quite a few clubs are now having very decent academies. Cautios transfer policy? Apart from Curbishley of West Ham you won't see any mad managers spending mad money anymore (unless the club has bottomless money supply)

Despite implying about the lack of fund, Roeder has forgetten that he splashed out 10 millions for Martins who brings instance success to us. How many clubs can afford to splash 10m just for a striker? 10m for a successful striker isn't something exceptional. Everton paid 8m for Andy Johnson. Bolton paid 8m for Anelka. Liverpool paid 9m for Dirk Kuyt. Tottenham paid 11m for Berbatov. Aston Villa paid 9m for Ashley Young. Apart from Young the others have proven to be a success just like Martins.

What is the edge Roeder has that others don't?

Dunno about "egde", but he HAS got a pointy face.

PS - Martins hasn't proven to be a success yet. Lets let him settle in and develop some consistency.

Yes you've forgotten one thing. You support the club apparently. If people cant see the difference between the s**** that Souness served up and the football that Roeder has encouraged us to play (minus Owen & Shearer) then they are not watching the same side that i saw last season. Souness's side couldnt string two passes together, let alone elicit praise from the southern press for actually trying to play football.

Yes, we are definitely watching different teams. And reading different papers. For which game did the team get "elicit praise" from the southern press?

Yes you've forgotten one thing. You support the club apparently. If people cant see the difference between the s**** that Souness served up and the football that Roeder has encouraged us to play (minus Owen & Shearer) then they are not watching the same side that i saw last season. Souness's side couldnt string two passes together, let alone elicit praise from the southern press for actually trying to play football.

Yes, we are definitely watching different teams. And reading different papers. For which game did the team get "elicit praise" from the southern press?

Souness - picked the wrong team/tactics, we were shite.

Roeder - picks the wrong team/tactics, we are MARGINALLY less shite.

Who cares what the "southern press" thinks - those of us who actually go to/watch the match can see than Roeder is an idiot. Bramble walking back into the team is evidence of that.

Guest BillyRay Valentine

christ what is wrong with some of you people?

where is our god given right to have this so called world class mannager?

have we won anything recently?

do we look like winning anything in the near future?

are we anywhere near the champions league?

do we have hundreds of millions to blow on new players?

do we have a solid foundation of raw talent and a decent sized first team squad packed with talent?

Right now Newcastle United are at the very least 3 years from challenging realistically for any honours. This is obvious to a blind man and any manager considering the job would have to be in for the long haul if he were serious about winning anything. Now we are a prestigeous club and the fat man, for all his faults, has done a pretty good job of keeping our profile high, BUT we have nothing like the kudos of the top 4 so who exactly is going to take the job if we dump Roeder?

Yes he's not exactly setting the world alight but when he took over we were going to get relegated, fact. Yet since then with our prem status now safely intact and apart from the odd hiccup, we're gradually improving and more importantly our football is slowly getting back to the passing game NUFC was once famous for - we're even seeing some promising signs from the academy. Clearly this is not good enough for some people who expect us to go from relegation candidates to champions league qualifiers over the space of a single season with next to no transfer money available and a tiny squad decimated by injuries. GET A GRIP! Its called progress. Anyone who can't see how we have improved over last season is fucked in the head. It took the ferg 5 years to get man yoo back on track, and this is manchester united, one of the biggest teams of all time. Roeder is doing what we have desperately needed for years - stabilising the club, getting the academy working, trying to bring in players who WANT to play for NUFC rather than just pick up a pay cheque - so for the love of christ stop moaning and use a bit of perspective!

do we have a solid foundation of raw talent and a decent sized first team squad packed with talent?

Right now Newcastle United are at the very least 3 years from challenging realistically for any honours. This is obvious to a blind man and any manager considering the job would have to be in for the long haul if he were serious about winning anything. Now we are a prestigeous club and the fat man, for all his faults, has done a pretty good job of keeping our profile high, BUT we have nothing like the kudos of the top 4 so who exactly is going to take the job if we dump Roeder?

Yes he's not exactly setting the world alight but when he took over we were going to get relegated, fact. Yet since then with our prem status now safely intact and apart from the odd hiccup, we're gradually improving and more importantly our football is slowly getting back to the passing game NUFC was once famous for - we're even seeing some promising signs from the academy. Clearly this is not good enough for some people who expect us to go from relegation candidates to champions league qualifiers over the space of a single season with next to no transfer money available and a tiny squad decimated by injuries. GET A GRIP! Its called progress. Anyone who can't see how we have improved over last season is fucked in the head. It took the ferg 5 years to get man yoo back on track, and this is manchester united, one of the biggest teams of all time. Roeder is doing what we have desperately needed for years - stabilising the club, getting the academy working, trying to bring in players who WANT to play for NUFC rather than just pick up a pay cheque - so for the love of christ stop moaning and use a bit of perspective!

Wrong. With Roeder at the helm we are an infinite number of years away from challenging for honours.

Yes he's not exactly setting the world alight but when he took over we were going to get relegated, fact. Yet since then with our prem status now safely intact and apart from the odd hiccup, we're gradually improving and more importantly our football is slowly getting back to the passing game NUFC was once famous for - we're even seeing some promising signs from the academy. Clearly this is not good enough for some people who expect us to go from relegation candidates to champions league qualifiers over the space of a single season with next to no transfer money available and a tiny squad decimated by injuries. GET A GRIP! Its called progress. Anyone who can't see how we have improved over last season is f***** in the head. It took the ferg 5 years to get man yoo back on track, and this is manchester united, one of the biggest teams of all time. Roeder is doing what we have desperately needed for years - stabilising the club, getting the academy working, trying to bring in players who WANT to play for NUFC rather than just pick up a pay cheque - so for the love of christ stop moaning and use a bit of perspective!

Wrong. With Roeder at the helm we are an infinite number of years away from challenging for honours.

the bit in bold is a particularly stupid phrase...how many years away were we from challenging for honours when finishing  just above relegation when keegan first arrived?

Guest andynufc84

Anyone remember Bobby Robsons' first full season in charge? It was a transistional season where the club were laiden with s**** players

but there was no money to spend until the summer. I think we finished down in 12th/13th or something like that.

I think this is exactly the same as Glenn Roeder, he is in a transistional period with the club after taking over from a complete and utter mess (souness)

Bobby had the same prediciment when he took over from Gullit.

Roeder's situation cannot be compared to Souness, simply because of the situation the club was in when Roeder took the job, souness had destroyed the playing staff and had ripped the heart and soul out of the place. Roeder had to mend that.

He has only been in the job for just over a year ffs, I laugh at some of our delusional supporters who believe we should play magnificent football week in week out, get a grip man! We are a bang average side thats needs completely rebuilding.

After Bobby had his first full average season he brought in Robert and Bellamy, then also signed Jenas and Woodgate. Then we were playing champs league football a matter of 2 seasons later. If roeder gets the money in the summer and buys the right players I reckon we could push right up the table again. People who back glenn roeder arn't accepting mediocraty they are being realistic.

Souness - picked the wrong team/tactics, we were s****.

Roeder - picks the wrong team/tactics, we are MARGINALLY less s****.

Who cares what the "southern press" thinks - those of us who actually go to/watch the match can see than Roeder is an idiot. Bramble walking back into the team is evidence of that.

I'm not making it up Ise, Henry Winter on more than one occassion in the Telegraph pointed to Roeder's ethic of trying to play football where others wouldnt. Chelsea away, a game i attended, is a very good example.

Also, the lad from the Times (Oliver someone, cant be arsed to look it up), said the same thing in a general piece about us in December when our form was on the up.

If you read as many english newspapers as me, i take my hat off. I doubt it though.

The football under Souness (with the players he had) doesnt even approach some of the football we have played with lesser players under Roeder.

So, which teams and which papers are you looking at then?

some good points in here (and some idiotic ones as well...).

roeder took over chaos, souness inherited a better squad.

roeder has spent very little, souness spent 50m.

souness played shite football, roeder plays slightly better football.

having said that - i think there are better managers out there, but roeder is decent. and the major thing that needs changing is the chairman!

I take it your post is also aimed at me, amongst others.

I very much agree with you that any manager we get should be in long haul. That's why it is even more imperative that we get the right manager. Do you want to endure another long spell of failures? We can afford to do so. The supporters will still turn up. But is this our goal as a club? The following managers were/are available.

Ottmar Hitzfeld, Paul Le Guen, Marcello Lippi, Arrigo Sacchi, Sven Goran Eriksson, Roberto Mancini, Claudio Ranieri. How about Martin O'Neill and Sam Allardyce?

Yes he's not exactly setting the world alight but when he took over we were going to get relegated, fact.

Yes and Roeder too nearly got us into relegated zone early season. Don't forget the Roeder's current tally is same as Souness just before he got sacked.

Yet since then with our prem status now safely intact and apart from the odd hiccup,

You can say under Souness our prem status was also safely intact.

we're gradually improving and more importantly our football is slowly getting back to the passing game NUFC was once famous for

I like this, and this was one of the reasons I supported Roeder. But where is our passing game now? We are like England National team. Full of big name players, but can't string a series of pass. Long balls aimed at Sibierski. Long punts for Martins and Dyer to chase it down. Where is the passing game gone? Have you seen any match this year that we trully dominated? Against Charlton. Which else?

- we're even seeing some promising signs from the academy.

I cast serious doubts that this is the work of Glenn Roeder. But I will give him credits for argument sake. Other established Premiership clubs also have sound academies which have shown more promising signs. We are not outstanding at all. Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Everton, Aston Villa, Bolton, Blackburn, Tottenham, Middlesbrough, Fulham, Man City, West Ham all have churned out famous players recently. Outside Premiership you also have Southampton, Charlton and Watford which have functioning academies. These clubs are doing the right things on academies. Can you forsee our academy under Roeder get any much better than them? Roeder is not the only manager in premiership who wants to emulate Wenger's success in academy. Lest we forget, Edgar and Huntington are not of any special qualities. Only the injury crisis forced us to use them. If it wasn't the injuries, you won;t see any encouraging signs at all.

Clearly this is not good enough for some people who expect us to go from relegation candidates to champions league qualifiers over the space of a single season with next to no transfer money available and a tiny squad decimated by injuries. GET A GRIP!

Maybe you should be the one to get a grip. We do not have next to no transfer money. 15m on Martins and Duff. Not a parsimony transfer budget is it? Why do we have a tiny squad? If our squad is really that thin, why don't Roeder brings in more players in January?

Its called progress. Anyone who can't see how we have improved over last season is f***** in the head.

Please, before you swear at any imaginary foe, show us any poster who can't see that we have improved?

It took the ferg 5 years to get man yoo back on track, and this is manchester united, one of the biggest teams of all time.

Has Glenn Roeder got the CV and track records of Alex Ferguson? What can convince us to put faith on Roeder and give him 5 years? Benitez and Wenger look set for another half a decade or a full decade in Premiership. Ferguson is retiring soon but I presume a world class manager would succed him. If Mourinho is dismissed Chelsea will just get another class manager. David Moyes doesn't seem likely to quit any time soon, and he is doing a very decent job in Everton. Allardyce still has a few years left before he retires. O'Neill is here to stay. So as Coleman, Coppell, Hughes, Jol.

Roeder is doing what we have desperately needed for years - stabilising the club, getting the academy working, trying to bring in players who WANT to play for NUFC rather than just pick up a pay cheque - so for the love of christ stop moaning and use a bit of perspective!

Anyone can stabilise the club, getting the academy working, trying to bring in players who want to play for NUFC. But can Roeder do this with distinction? But can Roeder outsmart other premiership managers? He can outspend the others, as he already proven. But has he got the edge? Why can't we just get a better manager to do this?

Anyone remember Bobby Robsons' first full season in charge? It was a transistional season where the club were laiden with s**** players

but there was no money to spend until the summer. I think we finished down in 12th/13th or something like that.

I think this is exactly the same as Glenn Roeder, he is in a transistional period with the club after taking over from a complete and utter mess (souness)

Bobby had the same prediciment when he took over from Gullit.

But we all know that Bobby Robson is a class manager. We can trust him to deliver eventually even though the results didn't seem good at first.

What has Roeder (with all due respect) got?

I take it your post is also aimed at me, amongst others.

I very much agree with you that any manager we get should be in long haul. That's why it is even more imperative that we get the right manager. Do you want to endure another long spell of failures? We can afford to do so. The supporters will still turn up. But is this our goal as a club? The following managers were/are available.

Ottmar Hitzfeld, Paul Le Guen, Marcello Lippi, Arrigo Sacchi, Sven Goran Eriksson, Roberto Mancini, Claudio Ranieri. How about Martin O'Neill and Sam Allardyce?

Yes he's not exactly setting the world alight but when he took over we were going to get relegated, fact.

Yes and Roeder too nearly got us into relegated zone early season. Don't forget the Roeder's current tally is same as Souness just before he got sacked.

Yet since then with our prem status now safely intact and apart from the odd hiccup,

You can say under Souness our prem status was also safely intact.

we're gradually improving and more importantly our football is slowly getting back to the passing game NUFC was once famous for

I like this, and this was one of the reasons I supported Roeder. But where is our passing game now? We are like England National team. Full of big name players, but can't string a series of pass. Long balls aimed at Sibierski. Long punts for Martins and Dyer to chase it down. Where is the passing game gone? Have you seen any match this year that we trully dominated? Against Charlton. Which else?

- we're even seeing some promising signs from the academy.

I cast serious doubts that this is the work of Glenn Roeder. But I will give him credits for argument sake. Other established Premiership clubs also have sound academies which have shown more promising signs. We are not outstanding at all. Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Everton, Aston Villa, Bolton, Blackburn, Tottenham, Middlesbrough, Fulham, Man City, West Ham all have churned out famous players recently. Outside Premiership you also have Southampton, Charlton and Watford which have functioning academies. These clubs are doing the right things on academies. Can you forsee our academy under Roeder get any much better than them? Roeder is not the only manager in premiership who wants to emulate Wenger's success in academy. Lest we forget, Edgar and Huntington are not of any special qualities. Only the injury crisis forced us to use them. If it wasn't the injuries, you won;t see any encouraging signs at all.

Clearly this is not good enough for some people who expect us to go from relegation candidates to champions league qualifiers over the space of a single season with next to no transfer money available and a tiny squad decimated by injuries. GET A GRIP!

Maybe you should be the one to get a grip. We do not have next to no transfer money. 15m on Martins and Duff. Not a parsimony transfer budget is it? Why do we have a tiny squad? If our squad is really that thin, why don't Roeder brings in more players in January?

Its called progress. Anyone who can't see how we have improved over last season is f***** in the head.

Please, before you swear at any imaginary foe, show us any poster who can't see that we have improved?

It took the ferg 5 years to get man yoo back on track, and this is manchester united, one of the biggest teams of all time.

Has Glenn Roeder got the CV and track records of Alex Ferguson? What can convince us to put faith on Roeder and give him 5 years? Benitez and Wenger look set for another half a decade or a full decade in Premiership. Ferguson is retiring soon but I presume a world class manager would succed him. If Mourinho is dismissed Chelsea will just get another class manager. David Moyes doesn't seem likely to quit any time soon, and he is doing a very decent job in Everton. Allardyce still has a few years left before he retires. O'Neill is here to stay. So as Coleman, Coppell, Hughes, Jol.

Roeder is doing what we have desperately needed for years - stabilising the club, getting the academy working, trying to bring in players who WANT to play for NUFC rather than just pick up a pay cheque - so for the love of christ stop moaning and use a bit of perspective!

Anyone can stabilise the club, getting the academy working, trying to bring in players who want to play for NUFC. But can Roeder do this with distinction? But can Roeder outsmart other premiership managers? He can outspend the others, as he already proven. But has he got the edge? Why can't we just get a better manager to do this?

apart from the roads,the buildings,the aquaducts what have the romans done for us ?

Guest andynufc84

What I hate is our fickle supporters

If we get something off Liverpool tomorrow I guarantee that those wanting Roeder out will change their tune AGAIN - it will be:

"oh I think he has done a decent job all things considering"

Roeder has delivered European football, despite all our grumblings we are still above the likes of boro and spurs in the league, the so called 'rapidly improving clubs', he has brought one of the hottest young striking prospects in europe to the club, has had an injury list like no other, has steadied the club and refused to panic buy mercinaries who are just after a pay check (neil and upson for example) and it would be fair to say the playing squad seem a lot happier - anyone recall any of the scandal in the playing squad involving players personal lives since roeder took over?

all things considering he has done a decent job, not magificent, but decent.

Sheff Utd and Birmingham are two home performances this season as bad as anything dished up under Souness tbh.

sheff utd was as bad as fulham (h) under robson when we had a shot at the championship.the shit performances have been fewer under roeder than his predecessor.

the earlier analogy with roeder now and when robson first took over is a good one.