St James' Park

Delima

Just heard this. The twats!!

I'm sure someone's mentioned this, but they're double twats as well for selling off the season tickets first before announcing this. I bet it was planned.

More people in the ground to sing Sports Direct is fucking shit.

Guest sydneycove

To be honest if this was another brand I don't think half the backlash would be happening. Just have to accept that this is where sports is heading. Stamford Bridge is going to be renamed soon enough and Anfield, Old Trafford etc wont be far behind.

To be honest if this was another brand I don't think half the backlash would be happening. Just have to accept that this is where sports is heading. Stamford Bridge is going to be renamed soon enough and Anfield, Old Trafford etc wont be far behind.

First they came for St James Park and I did nothing, then they came for Stamford Bridge and I did nothing, then they came for Old Trafford and I did nothing, Then then came for Anfield and I did nothing but that's because I hate Scousers. No one came for the Mackems so we did nothing.

Guest sydneycove

First they came for St James Park and I did nothing, then they came for Stamford Bridge and I did nothing, then they came for Old Trafford and I did nothing, Then then came for Anfield and I did nothing but that's because I hate Scousers. No one came for the Mackems so we did nothing.

Your just lucky it hasn't happened before. Let me be clear for you having worked in the industry in Aus. Filling the stadium is worth nowhere near what stadium naming rights are to a team. Filling a stadium 100 times over is still worth nowhere near what stadium naming rights are. It is a move the club needed to make sooner or later and by the end of this decade every single EPL and Championship stadium will have sold their stadium naming rights I guarantee you.

I understand the frustration at naming it after his own company and I think he should have found another sponsor to sell to other than himself (unless of course he is paying/taking off his loan 4 million a year which is around the valuation of the stadium naming rights as far as I can gather)

Your just lucky it hasn't happened before. Let me be clear for you having worked in the industry in Aus. Filling the stadium is worth nowhere near what stadium naming rights are to a team. Filling a stadium 100 times over is still worth nowhere near what stadium naming rights are. It is a move the club needed to make sooner or later and by the end of this decade every single EPL and Championship stadium will have sold their stadium naming rights I guarantee you.

I understand the frustration at naming it after his own company and I think he should have found another sponsor to sell to other than himself (unless of course he is paying/taking off his loan 4 million a year which is around the valuation of the stadium naming rights as far as I can gather)

:whistle:

Guest sydneycove

It will remain the Sports Direct Arena for as long as he is here, and he knows it.

No selfrespecting business will want to come in and potentially p*ss off an entire region.

Why should anybody be pissed off at another company buying the stadium naming rights? It has proved successful for both clubs and sponsor everywhere else. 

It will remain the Sports Direct Arena for as long as he is here, and he knows it.

No selfrespecting business will want to come in and potentially p*ss off an entire region.

Why should anybody be p*ssed off at another company buying the stadium naming rights? It has proved successful for both clubs and sponsor everywhere else. 

Nobody has bought it so your idea is flawed from the start.

Why should anybody be p*ssed off at another company buying the stadium naming rights? It has proved successful for both clubs and sponsor everywhere else. 

:explode:

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but surely the Metro station will remain St James' aye?

Perhaps the club could dip into that £35m and make the Metro operators an offer.

Hope so aye.

There's nay way nexus would change all their maps to say Sports Dirct Arena like. If they do change it, it'll be to Barack Road or Gallowgate. Doubt they'd change it anyway tbh.

Guest sydneycove

I really can't see a problem with the stadium being re branded to be honest. It is still the same stadium, in the same location. He isn't trying to move the club to a new stadium he is just selling the naming rights. If John Hall had of got permission to build his new stadium we would already have re-branded the stadiums name years ago.

People are just overreacting because Mike Ashley is involved and he got us relegated so anything we don't 100% agree with must be him being evil. Fans need to understand that in the competitive nature of advertising you need to either join the rest or be left to sink. We will be better off doing this before the teams of similar and smaller stature do so we can secure the better sponsors.

The team is doing well, we are having our best start in years and to players and fans it is still St James' Park. The stadium naming rights were going to sell eventually no matter who owned the club so why should we be annoyed by this and not just enjoy the football Pardew and the lads are serving up for us?

Guest sydneycove

:explode:

Show me where in the world stadium naming rights have not proved successful for both club and sponsor.

It's been St James' Park for 120 years man, then some fat muppet comes in and turns it into his own personal advertising board. People are rightly angered by it like.

I'd imagine you would feel similar if some tubby tycoon bought the Sydney Opera House, renamed it Jimmy's Tool-Shed and smeared it from tip to toe in his own shit.

I really can't see a problem with the stadium being re branded to be honest. It is still the same stadium, in the same location. He isn't trying to move the club to a new stadium he is just selling the naming rights. If John Hall had of got permission to build his new stadium we would already have re-branded the stadiums name years ago.

People are just overreacting because Mike Ashley is involved and he got us relegated so anything we don't 100% agree with must be him being evil. Fans need to understand that in the competitive nature of advertising you need to either join the rest or be left to sink. We will be better off doing this before the teams of similar and smaller stature do so we can secure the better sponsors.

The team is doing well, we are having our best start in years and to players and fans it is still St James' Park. The stadium naming rights were going to sell eventually no matter who owned the club so why should we be annoyed by this and not just enjoy the football Pardew and the lads are serving up for us?

WE. AREN'T. GETTING. ANY. MONEY. FROM. THIS.

Guest sydneycove

It's been St James' Park for 120 years man, then some fat muppet comes in and turns it into his own personal advertising board. People are rightly angered by it like.

I'd imagine you would feel similar if some tubby tycoon bought the Sydney Opera House, renamed it Jimmy's Tool-Shed and smeared it from tip to toe in his own s***.

Wouldn't give a flying crap. They have renamed so many stadiums so many times in Australia everyone in the public just refers to them by the original name anyway and the extra TV exposure for the brand still makes the brand money. It is an inevitable way of life in the modern sporting world. Who says we won't receive money from this. Has Llambis said we will be providing this service free of charge. If the stadium naming rights still haven't bee sold by this time next year and the books come out and show the club aren't charging Sports Direct sure be upset but if he has sold the brand to somebody else or is charging himself then I really don't see a problem with this.

I'd imagine you would feel similar if some tubby tycoon bought the Sydney Opera House, renamed it Jimmy's Tool-Shed and smeared it from tip to toe in his own s***.

Wouldn't give a flying crap. They have renamed so many stadiums so many times in Australia everyone in the public just refers to them by the original name anyway and the extra TV exposure for the brand still makes the brand money. It is an inevitable way of life in the modern sporting world. Who says we won't receive money from this. Has Llambis said we will be providing this service free of charge. If the stadium naming rights still haven't bee sold by this time next year and the books come out and show the club aren't charging Sports Direct sure be upset but if he has sold the brand to somebody else or is charging himself then I really don't see a problem with this.

I'll spell it out for you, we've been advertising his shitty empire for years and our income from it so far is £0.  During that time we've actually paid £40,000 for the pleasure of shitifying the ground.

I would have no problem with it had it been a modern stadium. But St James' Park has allways been the home of Newcastle United, and it all ways should have been (unless it came to a point where we actualy had to move). The fact it's just the name change isn't the point, the signs will come down, and with it a massive part of the clubs history, I cannot stress how genuinly pissed off I am by it. The fact we wont see a penny of the money raised just rubs salt into the wound.