The big summer transfer temptation

Guest Knightrider

We definitely need to be in for some of these free bosmans, although they will still command signing fee's they will still no doubt cost less than signings under contract.

Ben Haim, Distin and Gooch in, Bramble, Moore, Ramage out (vast improvement imo)

Sidwell in, Emre out

Viduka in, then we have 4 proper strikers and 2 who can play up there if needed (Sib and Dyer)

Then whatever funds left on a good young right back and a quality left back and we have a good squad to try and progress from.

I'd go for the Gullit style spending and sort out the defence. The only defenders that we have that should be guaranteed to stay are Taylor and Nobby. Gooch if he plays well then could be good for us. Edgar and Huntington are fine as reserve back-up and its up to them to try and force their way into the squad.

Carr/Bramble/Moore should be sold without question. Babayaro is ok back-up for the left back but i doubt he will be happy with that. Ramage is average back-up at best for the CB position so if a decent offer came in for him then sell him.

Next season defence should be :

Solano/New RB with potential  Taylor/Gooch/New Guy/Edgar/Huntington  New LB/Babayaro

Dunno who to get for RB but someone young with a lot of potential. Bale or Baines for LB. Distin/Woodgate for CB.

Sign Gooch, if he continues to impress, two quality full backs and a decent-ish back up striker.

This.

Left back is a certainty, although there seems to be a lack of quality left back available on the market.

Do we do a SBR and spend big on one or two dynamic players (ala a Robert and Bellamy) to rapidly take us up a notch or two or do we build from the back and do a Gullit, sign mainly defenders to build slowly? Neither will guarantee success remember - you choose.

good thread and interesting question

when everybody is fit i think we have a strong first 11, strength the front 6 and 1 of the back five being the best in the Prem in his position

---------------------Given------------------

----------------------------------------------

---Solano----Taylor--Onyewu----Babayaro

---------------Parker----Emre-------------

---Milner---------------------------Duff----

---------------Owen--Martins------------

with a good mixture of quality rotation/squad players

Dyer, N'Zogbia, Emre, Bramble,

in my opinion what and who Roeder needs to do to take us to the next level is to buy two big money signing of Jonathan Woodgate £5 million and Gareth Bale £7 million and 2 talented youngsters in the Right back position and Centre back

-Jonathan Woodgate to play alongside Steven Taylor

-Gareth Bale to give us one of the best left backs for years to come

------------------Given-------------------

--------------------------------------------

--Solano---Taylor--Woodgate---Bale--

--------------Parker---Emre-------------

---Milner-----------------------Duff-----

-------------Owen---Martins------------

Subs Dyer, N'Zogbia, Butt, Onyewu, Harper

Not being funny mate but do you still believe Parker and Emre works, despite all of the evidence to the contrary?

My outlay would be:

Woodgate  6 million

Bridge        4 Million

Distin            Free

Luke Young  4 million

Total: 14 million

Income:

Bramble    free

Carr        1 million

Baba        1 million

Ramage    "free" (would probably have to pay them!)

Moore      free

2 million if lucky....

We'll sell Luque too

Correction, we'll try to sell Luque but the problem is will anyone want such a waster?

Guest nufc 4 life

havent read whole thread but papa diop is an absolute beast a good replacement for emre as he can dribble too i.e goal against us  :(

If we could get Onyewu, Baines, Davies and Ashton i'd be delighted. Possibly a replacement for Emre too if he leaves.

A possible alternative to Ashton would be Marlon King.

Do we do a SBR and spend big on one or two dynamic players (ala a Robert and Bellamy) to rapidly take us up a notch or two or do we build from the back and do a Gullit, sign mainly defenders to build slowly? Neither will guarantee success remember - you choose.

good thread and interesting question

when everybody is fit i think we have a strong first 11, strength the front 6 and 1 of the back five being the best in the Prem in his position

---------------------Given------------------

---Solano----Taylor--Onyewu----Babayaro

---------------Parker----Emre-------------

---Milner---------------------------Duff----

---------------Owen--Martins------------

with a good mixture of quality rotation/squad players

Dyer, N'Zogbia, Emre, Bramble,

in my opinion what and who Roeder needs to do to take us to the next level is to buy two big money signing of Jonathan Woodgate £5 million and Gareth Bale £7 million and 2 talented youngsters in the Right back position and Centre back

-Jonathan Woodgate to play alongside Steven Taylor

-Gareth Bale to give us one of the best left backs for years to come

------------------Given-------------------

--Solano---Taylor--Woodgate---Bale--

--------------Parker---Emre-------------

---Milner-----------------------Duff-----

-------------Owen---Martins------------

Subs Dyer, N'Zogbia, Butt, Onyewu, Harper

Not being funny mate but do you still believe Parker and Emre works, despite all of the evidence to the contrary?

its a interesting topic

in which my opinion is

the roles instructed to them by Roeder as a combination its not worked for the best of the two players to work as well tougher and its a big thing for me Roeder needs to realize and then modify it tactically rather then listen to our supporters and potentially just sell Emre rather then fixing a slight tactical problem.

for me Glen Roeder fixing the slight tactical problem involves realizing our Captain must be given his best role, a role in which he won player of the season for us under Souness, a role breaking up the play and winning the ball back a role in which in my opinion only Makalele is more effective then him at in the Premiership (Mourinho had the same vision in Parker qualitys as a DCM) IF Roeder gives him that role i believe Emre can be given the role he made his name for at Inter Milan thats magic in the oppositions half and creating chances and designing moves with his passing.

Glen Roeder when Emre returns will have to find that tactical solution or we may continue not to get the best out of for me what is two quality central midfielders in Emre and Parker.

If we're being realistic, then its unlikely we'll be spending any more than £10m with a takeover looming.

I reckon we'd be better off improving the defence as a priority and then, if we have the resource, improve further up the field.

With a £10m budget, I'd spend as follows:-

Buy

Gooch - £2m

Heinze - £5m

Davies - £6m

Beattie - £1.5m

Total = £14.5m

Sell

Luque - £3m

Carr - £1m

Ramage - £0.5k

Sib - Release

Total = £4.5m

I'd keep Baba as cover and make a right back a priority for Jan 08 window.

I'd also keep Bramble as a squad player.

Guest Knightrider

The reason I started this thread was because I'd recently watched the return of the Entertainers DVD when we finished 4th. An average team with one or two decent players that had finished 11th the previous season was transformed by adding pace and aggression up front (Bellamy) and balance and delivery wide left (Robert) - at a cost of £16m - to great effect. In his book SBR said he thought he had the makings of a decent first 11 already despite knowing squad wise, there wasn't much there and consequently deliberated whether to spend his money on the squad or just one or two positions, in the end he went for the latter quick fix and was proved right.

The temptation to follow his example must be huge, for management and fans alike and I was hoping a debate about the merits and cons of strengthining the first team ahead of the squad at the expense of one or two weak positions or vice versa, would ensue.

For me it all depends on attitudes at the club. Sir Bobby had just endured two poor seasons and needed to make inroads and quickly as the fire under his seat was warming at a good pace, he gambled and we never looked back. The club seemed to be in a rush those days to make up for lost ground, where as today it seems to be the opposite, rebuilding slowly, taking stock of the entire squad and what needs fixed and what doesn't.

If we're being realistic, then its unlikely we'll be spending any more than £10m with a takeover looming.

I reckon we'd be better off improving the defence as a priority and then, if we have the resource, improve further up the field.

With a £10m budget, I'd spend as follows:-

Buy

Gooch - £2m

Heinze - £5m

Davies - £6m

Beattie - £1.5m

Total = £14.5m

Sell

Luque - £3m

Carr - £1m

Ramage - £0.5k

Sib - Release

Total = £4.5m

I'd keep Baba as cover and make a right back a priority for Jan 08 window.

I'd also keep Bramble as a squad player.

Isnt Heinze out of contract this year.. Id love him here, he is complete filth, but a fine defender..even better now I realise he is an adequete CB aswell.

The reason I started this thread was because I'd recently watched the return of the Entertainers DVD when we finished 4th. An average team with one or two decent players that had finished 11th the previous season was transformed by adding pace and aggression up front (Bellamy) and balance and delivery wide left (Robert) - at a cost of £16m - to great effect. In his book SBR said he thought he had the makings of a decent first 11 already despite knowing squad wise, there wasn't much there and consequently deliberated whether to spend his money on the squad or just one or two positions, in the end he went for the latter quick fix and was proved right.

The temptation to follow his example must be huge, for management and fans alike and I was hoping a debate about the merits and cons of strengthining the first team ahead of the squad at the expense of one or two weak positions or vice versa, would ensue.

For me it all depends on attitudes at the club. Sir Bobby had just endured two poor seasons and needed to make inroads and quickly as the fire under his seat was warming at a good pace, he gambled and we never looked back. The club seemed to be in a rush those days to make up for lost ground, where as today it seems to be the opposite, rebuilding slowly, taking stock of the entire squad and what needs fixed and what doesn't.

interesting good analysis in the last paragraph.

about the subject in the last paragraph for me its all very very bad on Shepherd's part however, makes a mockery out of the Sir Bobby sacking the way Shepherd has gone about things since, giving people time (Souness and Roeder) for finishing lower then what was "unacceptable" that of 5th under Sir Bobby, spending way way more money in one go under Souness money that was given to Souness because he could not manage a team that had got 3rd, 4th, 5th proviously so we had to give Souness a chance of building "his own team"

basically Shepherd has done a alot of things he properly would not of had to do if he had not ludicrously sacked a manager who was consistently getting this club among the top pack of Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal and consistently getting this club into Europe just 14 days into a season.

however i back the idea of giving Glen Roeder time and it will be interesting to see how he goes about the Summer transfer window like you said.

i was very impressed with his dealings last Summer so i am hopeful