The big summer transfer temptation

Guest Knightrider

Guest andynufc84

Don't think Darren Bent would be right for us, similar player to Owen and Martins.

Ashton would be perfect imo, different sort of player who can play with his back to goal who can out muscle defenders and pull them out of posistion

Throw in Martins, Dyer, Owen, quality on the wing and something extra in midfield we would be begin to look like a force to be reckoned with.

Defenders should still be a priority though.

Don't think Darren Bent would be right for us, similar player to Owen and Martins.

Ashton would be perfect imo, different sort of player who can play with his back to goal who can out muscle defenders and pull them out of posistion

Throw in Martins, Dyer, Owen, quality on the wing and something extra in midfield we would be begin to look like a force to be reckoned with.

Ashton is very similar to Owen in that they are both injury prone.

Harsh, he's had a broken ankle and thats it.

Regularly injured for West Ham since signing for them. The next Big Dunc imo.

badly broken ankle has got to be seen as different to repeated muscular problems ?

Yeah, nearly missed the cup final because of one strain or another.

Has to be the defence for me.

We need to ensure the likes of Carr, Bramble and Ramage are either sold, or only get into the team as emergency backup. With the current squad, theyre going to get tons of games. Soon as Nobby or Babayaro get injured, the standard of our defence plummets considerably because vastly inferior players are drafted into the first team, players who consistently let us down and who are, being brutally honest, lucky to be playing at Premiership level.

The only defenders we should be definately looking to keep are, for me:

Nobby - first choice RB

Taylor - first choice CB

Onyewu - squad CB if he impresses, first choice CB if hes really impressive

Edgar - future

Huntington - future

Sell/discard/make reserve:

Carr - shiite

Babayaro - regularly injured, regular liability

Ramage - shiite

Bramble - always a liability

Moore - who?

Bernard - who?

Onyewu - if he turns out shiite

The way I see it, we need to add one decent/good centreback with pace and experience, and one big money left back who is of proven quality and will sort out our left back position for the next half decade or two. Spend big on Baines or Bale, and someone like Distin or Andrade for centreback, then at least well have a solid foundation to build on for next season.

Baines would be my big money target next summer, and I hope Wigan go down to force his availability. Hes a class act at left back, hes defensively sound/intelligent, has good technique on the ball, good distribution, and is a big threat because of his shooting power from set pieces and from range.

Good to see people are happy with just Martins and Owen as strikers, let's hope they aren't both injured at the same time otherwise it's a relegation dogfight coming up.

i don't think ameobi is as bad as made out but only as a squad player.

Good to see people are happy with just Martins and Owen as strikers, let's hope they aren't both injured at the same time otherwise it's a relegation dogfight coming up.

Agree for now. It would be good if he's 4th choice though eventually I'd prefer to see him on his way.

Agree for now. It would be good if he's 4th choice though eventually I'd prefer to see him on his way.

as and when.........if we have him fit i'd rather concentrate cash elsewhere,and give him a year being fit to prove himself.

Would take Ashton like a shot IF his fitness proves to be OK following the ankle injury - Kewell was never the same player after his....Ashton would be a great foil for either Martins OR Owen, though rumours persist about whether one or either of them will still be at SJP next season.

Distin would be a good signing for little money, and a decent Left Back is a MUST;

Carr/Babayaro to be moved on, more chance given to Edgar - also think Troisi may come through next season, so maybe Emre will go.

Would take Ashton like a shot IF his fitness proves to be OK following the ankle injury - Kewell was never the same player after his....Ashton would be a great foil for either Martins OR Owen, though rumours persist about whether one or either of them will still be at SJP next season.

Distin would be a good signing for little money, and a decent Left Back is a MUST;

Carr/Babayaro to be moved on, more chance given to Edgar - also think Troisi may come through next season, so maybe Emre will go.

People have forgotten how poor/average Distin was during his time here. I don't think he's any better now than he was then.

as and when.........if we have him fit i'd rather concentrate cash elsewhere,and give him a year being fit to prove himself.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on Ameobi, mate. I think he's one-paced, commmits too many fouls and trips over the ball too much to ever make it as a genuine PL quality striker. Maybe after his op' his pace will improve a bit but I really can't put any faith in him over the longer term. I'd be happy enough in the short term if he's 4th choice but I don't want to see him as 3rd choice. However, as you say we'll see where the pressing priorities lie in the summer and the club doesn't have infinite cash so maybe it'll be wise to keep him for another season.

Guest AussieNUFC

Ashton or Bent being English will inflate the fee to some stupid fee. I like to see Goran Pandev from Lazio. Similar player, Size but superior finisher in my opinion and half the price Ashton or Bent clubs will be demanding. has and average goals to games ration but is highly talented. Also wouldn't be missing games being at the African or South American Champs.

Guest Walking in a waddle wonde

Heres my list of tall strikers that I would like us to be looking at (in no particular order)

I think we could/should be able pick up one of these for a reasonable fee!

Rolando Bianchi - Reggina

Mario Gomez - Stuttgart

Afonso Alves - Heerenveen

Danny Koevermans - AZ Alkmaar

all doing well this season in the scoring charts as well as being quite young Koevermans aside  :thup:

This would massively improve our squad:

LB: Baines(4m)

RB: Barnes(3m)

CD: Woodgate(4m), Gooch(2m)

CM: Sidwell(free), Reo Coker (5m)

CF: Bent(10m)

28m

Out

Carr(1m), Emre(6m), Moore(free)

7m

Obviously depends how much FS is prepared to spend

.....................................................................Given/Harps/Krul.........................................................................................

Nobby/Barnes...............................Taylor/Woodgate/Gooch/Bramble...............................................Baines/Babayaro

Milner/Lua Lua...................................Parker/Butt/Sidwell/Reo Coker..................................................Duff/Zog

....................................................Owen/Martins/Bent/Ameobi/Sibierski......................................................................

Barnes is a right winger, not a right back and LuaLua plays on the left side not right.

Do we do a SBR and spend big on one or two dynamic players (ala a Robert and Bellamy) to rapidly take us up a notch or two or do we build from the back and do a Gullit, sign mainly defenders to build slowly? Neither will guarantee success remember - you choose.

good thread and interesting question

when everybody is fit i think we have a strong first 11, strength the front 6 and 1 of the back five being the best in the Prem in his position

---------------------Given------------------

----------------------------------------------

---Solano----Taylor--Onyewu----Babayaro

----------------------------------------------

---------------Parker----Emre-------------

---Milner---------------------------Duff----

---------------Owen--Martins------------

with a good mixture of quality rotation/squad players

Dyer, N'Zogbia, Emre, Bramble,

in my opinion what and who Roeder needs to do to take us to the next level is to buy two big money signing of Jonathan Woodgate £5 million and Gareth Bale £7 million and 2 talented youngsters in the Right back position and Centre back

-Jonathan Woodgate to play alongside Steven Taylor

-Gareth Bale to give us one of the best left backs for years to come

------------------Given-------------------

--------------------------------------------

--Solano---Taylor--Woodgate---Bale--

--------------------------------------------

--------------Parker---Emre-------------

---Milner-----------------------Duff-----

-------------Owen---Martins------------

Subs Dyer, N'Zogbia, Butt, Onyewu, Harper

I'd go for the defence aswell as I think that with owen and ameobi back in the team we would have enough cover up front:

Martins, Owen, Ameobi, Dyer, Sibs.

I think emre will go in the summer due to the racism claims so bring in a midfielder aswell.

The defence would be something like this:

Nobby--------Taylor/Gooch----Woodgate------Bridge

We would also need cover in every position along the back line because we would get rid of:

Carr, Bramblle, Ramage, Baba, Moore

To be replaced with:

Distin, Luke young

My outlay would be:

Woodgate  6 million

Bridge        4 Million

Distin            Free

Luke Young  4 million

Total: 14 million

Income:

Bramble    free

Carr        1 million

Baba        1 million

Ramage    "free" (would probably have to pay them!)

Moore      free

2 million if lucky....

My outlay would be:

Woodgate  6 million

Bridge         4 Million

Distin            Free

Luke Young  4 million

Total: 14 million

Income:

Bramble     free

Carr        1 million

Baba        1 million

Ramage    "free" (would probably have to pay them!)

Moore       free

2 million if lucky....

We'll sell Luque too

Cant see Distin coming here, he has been touted in our faces the past two transfer windows when we have wanted a CB yet we still dont want him.

If Emre does end up staying Id say we have a reasonable chance at getting Tuncay.

I dont agree with Bent being the same as Owen/Oba, I think he would add a different dimension to our attack.

Whilst he does posess Pace, which links the three of them, Owen and Oba, he is big strong, can hold up the ball and is probably the best out of the three in the air and does well for himself when Charlton play 4-5-1.

If anything Bent is more like Ameobi than Owen and Oba.

Also dont really agree with the Ashton Negativity, just because he got one bad injury he hasnt got back from yet doesnt make him a crock. Did he have a history of big injuries before?

I dont think the pace thing is a problem either, alot of people said the same thing about Kuyt. Neither are snails, Ashton would be a fantastic addition and like Bent would add another dimension to our attack, Even better than Bent in the air and holding up the ball and still young and willing to learn.

Cant see either costing any less than £10m though, and if our scouts actually do their job we can do alot more than buy a striker with that kind of money.

We should be falling over ourselves to woo Sidwell here...and Tuncay really.

Id certainly be happy with Distin here but I think we will get either Davies or Ferdinand instead. Who are both better, if not vastly inexperienced in comparison.

If Wigan go down, Baines must be a priority. Bridge, Bale..some LB vastly better than what we have! Id keep Baba on though as second choice.

Having chased Viduka and Jarvis in the past I wouldnt be suprised to see us move for them as squad cover also.

Luque, Carr and Moore out though..

As many of you already has said, defenders are the absolute priority. If we can find any extra funds after sorting this area out we can go for an other striker.

We need one CB and one left back.

I'd love to see Woody but Im pretty shure he will get injured asap after we sign him. Go for someone younger. Curtis or Anton.  Baines for leftback would be great.