Bale, Barnes & Davies Still Targets

Rich

Guest sicko2ndbest

We are not in a position to be splashing out 15-20 million on Davies and Bale. These players are not going to improve us dramatically, straight away. Maybe in 3-4 years time but not next year.

We should be targeting proven players. I would go:

Woodgate

Bent

Sidwell

Baines

These 4 players would improve not only our squad but our first team as well

In a couple of years with fewer injury problems we will again be challenging for a chamions league place and be in a more financially viable position to be buying and nuturing TALENT.

We need players of today not players of tomorrow.

Guest nufc 4 life

yeah i didn't understand the 30m remark and Barnes for 10m would be a good buy i think because there aren't that many good LB and he could turn out to be brilliant he's obviously good because man u or spuds wouldn't have been prepared to pay 7m for him

We are not in a position to be splashing out 15-20 million on Davies and Bale. These players are not going to improve us dramatically, straight away. Maybe in 3-4 years time but not next year.

We should be targeting proven players. I would go:

Woodgate

Bent

Sidwell

Baines

These 4 players would improve not only our squad but our first team as well

In a couple of years with fewer injury problems we will again be challenging for a chamions league place and be in a more financially viable position to be buying and nuturing TALENT.

We need players of today not players of tomorrow.

How does that work then?  ;) :tongue:

yeah i didn't understand the 30m remark and Barnes for 10m would be a good buy i think because there aren't that many good LB and he could turn out to be brilliant he's obviously good because man u or spuds wouldn't have been prepared to pay 7m for him

This the Spurs that spent £7m rising to £9m on Jenas and the Man U who spent £28m on Veron? No neither would ever overspend when gambling on a player.  :D

Everytime i see that Nugent of Preston, he gets better every game.  I would take a gamble on him.

Much rather we got him than Ashton.

Nugent reminds me of Robbie Keane at Watford. Not the best player in the world, but small and springy without being too small, fast without being pacey, able to dribble in tight situations without being a great dribbler, and generally a smart forward, although he isnt a genius.

Would be a good 3rd choice striker for next season at a reasonable price (4-5mill?) - is young, English (ie no adaptability problems), afaik isnt a crock, knows how to score, and is very likely to improve.

In an ideal world, wed sign someone like Gudjohnsen or Tevez to bring some quality playmaking up front for us, players the likes of Owen and Martins could work off, but the next step down would be to get good backup in with the potential to become a regularly rotated squad forward. Someone like Nugent might be a gamble, but its alot less than other, more expensive ones.

Guest WalkervilleMag

Unless we have £30m in the summer what is the point in wasting our team looking at Bale?

apparently, if you finish bottom next season you get 30 million

All that money on a bairn...

I'd rather we bought experienced players for the backline, forget Davies, Ferdinand and Bale, buy experience for now, and let tomorrow take care of itself. When we are in a strong position to buy for the future then do that, we need players that are going to do the business for us now to take us up a notch or two.

Spot on. We already have Steven Taylor for the future, its not as though we're in desperate need to inject some youth to an aging back line. To top it off, Taylor is probably the best centreback at the club, yet the youngest in terms of first team centrebacks - surely at his current age he should be learning from a decent/good, experienced pro, rather than having to cover for his senior partners?

Woody/Rio + Radebe, Terry + Desailly/Gallas, Carragher + Hyppia, King + Naybet, Toure + Campbell, etc - its not something cast in iron that these players have learnt from the more experienced ones (Naybet wasnt exactly that good himself), but it must have helped these players to be playing alongside some decent/good experienced centrebacks.

About Jonathan Woodgate:

Woodgate has started 24 games this season for 'Boro, Jon (finished 22 of them) in all competitions, plus his game for England the other week. That's more than we've had out of Bramble, Moore, Owen, Carr, Dyer, Duff, N'Zogbia and Babayaro (plus others). It's the same amount of club games played this season in all competitions as Shay Given, amazingly (and we've played much more than 'Boro). Puts things into perspective a bit.

21 games out of a possible 24 for him in the league he's played for 'Boro (he was signed after their first 3 games).

Just seen you laughing about Woodgate staying fit a fair bit lately, when he's got a better appearance record this season than about half of the players we would probably consider to be first-teamers when they're not injured.

If Jonathan Woodgate had started 21 games in the Premiership for us this season he would only be behind Martins, Milner and Parker out of the ENTIRE squad - they all have started 22, just one more game than him (and Milner and Parker have been here since the start of the season!)

If we include substitute appearances, then only Nicky Butt would move ahead of him (to 22).

Really amazing, I've only just found this out when looking into it.

Guest Deep456

So he must be cured, after years and years of injury problems he has played 24 games so is no longer an injury risk. Well im sold, lets spend £7m on him now!

We have the guy who sorted out Dyer remember so no worries and I agree with you spend 7million now and get him. Bridge is still my first choice, also how can anyone say Sidwell is proven after 1 season that is only just over half way through.

Guest Deep456

Aye because I also believe we have a witch doctor at the club and Dyer is cured. Suppose its true though given the lack of injuries we have had this season, he is working MIRACLES! :lol:

Yop if we didn't have him we would be getting relagated. Thank God he has saved us with the dance of doom.

So he must be cured, after years and years of injury problems he has played 24 games so is no longer an injury risk. Well im sold, lets spend £7m on him now!

Never said he was cured, but it's food for thought. Certainly a lot more depth to it than your bandwagonised opinion on the subject! "Aye that Woodgate, he'll never get fit like."

Also, I never said we should spend £7m on the lad but we should have certainly been in for him on loan, which you were also against. If he had of come back here, he could have been crocked again, I'll openly admit that. But you've been in numerous posts lately laughing at the notion of Woodgate ever putting consistent runs of games together and talking down to people who suggest we might go for him and based on this season, i.e. "the present", he's starting to disprove his reputation.

I was surprised to see how many games the lad has played so far this season (was amazed when I compared it to our players), I don't see what was so wrong with pointing it out. I have previously considered him a crock as some of my older posts on here have confirmed, but maybe he's improving because 'Boro are taking proper care of him.

He might get crocked again very, very soon, but 21 out of 24 league games since joining 'Boro is impressive.

Guest WalkervilleMag

the reporter was creaming himself over Gareth Bale. saying he was quality tonight.  Glenn was there tonight he said.