Chelski after Taylor

Skirge

And Dave wins his bet!!

Hands off our Tayls

Mar 12 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Glenn Roeder has told any club casting their eyes in the direction of young Newcastle United centre half Steven Taylor to forget it.

After an uncertain start as he eased his way back in after a dislocated shoulder, the 21-year-old Geordie has been in superb form since the turn of the year.

Both Spurs and Liverpool have been linked with the United defender in the past and reports over the weekend suggested that Chelsea are now interested.

And the way you could have driven a bus through the heart of their defence in yesterday's enthralling 3-3 FA Cup draw with Spurs you can understand this.

However, Roeder told me today: "Chelsea have not been in contact with us and indeed no club has spoken to us about Steven Taylor, and if they did they would be wasting their time.

"There is absolutely no chance of Steven Taylor leaving this club while I am manager.

"We are trying to build a squad of players here, not dismantle one, and youngsters like Taylor and Charles N'Zogbia are the future of Newcastle United."

Along with Antoine Sibierski, twin stoppers Taylor and Titus Bramble were the only players in the United starting line-up against AZ Alkmaar last Thursday night who are not full internationals.

But unlike Bramble, who has a drawer full of England Under-21 caps, it would not be a surprise if Taylor went one better despite having the likes of John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Jamie Carragher and Jonathan Woodgate ahead of him in the pecking order.

Not surprisingly considering his wholehearted efforts, Taylor is a big favourite with the United supporters.

However, I know at times the young defender feels that Roeder and the coaching staff are a bit hard on him, but he has to realise this is for his own good. For Roeder and the likes of Nigel Pearson, Terry McDermott and Lee Clark have been around the block so many times and they only want what is best for their players and United.

What would be best for United is if they can see Alkmaar off at the DSB Stadium on Thursday, although I must admit I am a bit worried about the fact that Louis van Gaal's side notched two away goals at St James' Park.

Roeder has had time to reflect on Thursday night and he said today: "That second Alkmaar goal was a damn nuisance, especially as it was a dodgy one.

"But we would have settled for a two-goal lead to take to Holland and the players are very positive about Thursday night."

And Dave wins his bet!!

"We are trying to build a squad of players here, not dismantle one, and youngsters like Taylor and Charles N'Zogbia are the future of Newcastle United."

So glad he didn't mention Peter Ramage in that sentence.

And Dave wins his bet!!

So glad he didn't mention Peter Ramage in that sentence.

At the end of the year he will be 24 so we cant call him youngster anymore :)

I doubt if there's many 21 year olds who can handle playing  across the unsettled Newcastle back four and string together error free performances. I'm also not sure that you can progress markedly if you're left back one week, right back the next and then in the middle of the back four with multiple  inexperienced, error prone partnersn for a few weeks. Say s a lot for Taylor, and even the likes of Ramage and Huntingdon, that they've been shuffled around so much and been willing to give 100% even when the crowd get on their backs as is the case of PG.

Can't understand why anybody would want to sell Taylor and then turn around and say keep N'zogbia who has been shite virtually all of this season. I'd bit wenger's hand off if he mentioned 7 mill for him as I'd rather have the money than somebody who is pants for us.

Fucking hell, did N'Zogbia burn your house down or something?

Bummed his dog, revenge attack though tbf!

Guest Sniffer

I'm sure you know more about fucking dogs than I do, gejon as it may be a french passtime. I really don't know,  but it wouldn't surprise me.

Anyway, the point is that I'm tired about the double standards in terms of criticism that players like Milner and Taylor have to live with when there are people on here whom bend over backwards to make excuses for the likes of N'zogbias shite performances. And I'm talking about up until december when he was fit.

I doubt if there's many 21 year olds who can handle playing  across the unsettled Newcastle back four and string together error free performances. I'm also not sure that you can progress markedly if you're left back one week, right back the next and then in the middle of the back four with multiple  inexperienced, error prone partnersn for a few weeks. Say s a lot for Taylor, and even the likes of Ramage and Huntingdon, that they've been shuffled around so much and been willing to give 100% even when the crowd get on their backs as is the case of PG.

Can't understand why anybody would want to sell Taylor and then turn around and say keep N'zogbia who has been s**** virtually all of this season. I'd bit wenger's hand off if he mentioned 7 mill for him as I'd rather have the money than somebody who is pants for us.

f****** hell, did N'Zogbia burn your house down or something?

Bummed his dog, revenge attack though tbf!

:lol:

I don't know, pop quiz?

I do see where you are coming from in regards to the double standards some players get but I still think you are being a little harsh on Zog.

I don't. He set himself high standards but that was his first season, there is often a slump in the second season and Zog has definitely slumped in that second season. There's just no denying it. He's far from proven and has a long way to go to establish himself.

Guest Sniffer

Nah...let's leave the quiz out.

I don't think I'm being harsh on N'zogbia. I don't believe in this second season syndrome as it's just another excuse for a player to underperform and get away with it. N'zogbia has been a major let down, IMO and has contributed in a big way to another rubbish season. I know he is young, but at the same time you can't point the finger at some players and let the others off the hook. N'zogbia's continual loss off the ball cheaply and poor forward play in general is just putting the likes of Bramble and Taylor under continued pressure.

Guest Sniffer

I'm not saying I'd give him away, but I think every player has a price. Saying that, I think I'd give him another season but I wouldn't expect to hear those who believe in a second season slump now giving it the oh, he's only 21 excuse. The one that I've been hearing for ameobi who's about 25 now.

If arse offered 7-8 mill as they have plenty of money, and we could toss that into the pot for a Leighton Baines type LB then I'd think about the deal. Unless we get players who can perform consistently, week in week out, then we'll never challenge the top four. It's no good these days being a player who looks good only half a dozen times a season.

Guest Knightrider

Over the years, my thinking behind our stars has went from "keep at all costs" to "meh, if we can get daft money for them...." and I'd say that's more down to feeling no real bond with our players anymore or  any respect for them, and not because I don't nolonger rate them or see all those £££ signs and am won over. I reckon many fans now think like that, here and at other clubs.

For the right price I'd sell any of wor lot, even Shay, probably the only player at the club who I have an effection for and who I respect as a person and not just as a footballer, a footballer who BTW I consider to be priceless in general.