Will we be able to keep our star striker Martins?

Guest nufc 4 life
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest nufc 4 life

I am scared f****** shitless for the future of our star striker he has proven in one season what an amazing player he is/can be he is 22 banging in goals for fun in the first season in the EPL arguably the best league in the world. He has come from a completely different style of play in the itailian Serie A which is a very defence league compared to the very attacking football played in the EPL. He has all the attributes you need in a striker raw pace, can shoot from very long range, a huge leap and good head and good awareness. On the other hand his first touch is poor and his running can be a little stupid at times he could also do with a little more composure, but all of these are ironed out after getting some experience under his belt. Now back to my point if he carries on the way he is going surely we are going to have huge clubs with their billions knocking at our door and will we be able to reject them. His value already had doubled if not tripled, but if we don't win something i.e the UEFA cup and start qualifying for the champions league will he not want to go. He has the quailty as le sib has said to be one of the best strikers in the world and is already one of the best in Europe so will he want to go i sure as hell hope not as he is the future of this club and what a buy by GR is all i can say only time will tell and please discuss lol  :o

Guest Knightrider

Every player has their price, and while I'd be disappointed to lose any of our best players, it wouldn't be the end of the world, if we did. We lost Shearer recently and replaced him with Martins, I'm sure if Martins went, we'd find another good player to replace him, in time anyway. That said, any club who sells its best players will never achieve anything.

The thing that works in our favour is that he came from one of the biggest clubs in Italy and was happy enough to sign for us. I do believe Martins will stay for a good 3/4 seasons but after that its anybodys guess, At the moment clubs will be looking at him from around europe and weighing up possibly bidding somewhat in the future. But as long as Oba is happy playing for Newcastle anf contributing to the team like he has done then I wouldnt worry about us losing him anytime soon.

As a players perspective I think he would want to stay here a few seasons anyway, unlike milan he is getting first team football week in week out and he is thriving on it. Long may it continue.

Guest nufc 4 life

Every player has their price, and while I'd be disappointed to lose any of our best players, it wouldn't be the end of the world, if we did. We lost Shearer recently and replaced him with Martins, I'm sure if Martins went, we'd find another good player to replace him, in time anyway. That said, any club who sells its best players will never achieve anything.

i do agree with this whole-heartedly, but who could we replace him with at his moment in time anyway even if we did get 30m for him and who would want to come to us?

did you vote by the way lol

Guest Knightrider

On the question itself, no, not unless we are able to compete for top honours and even then he could still be tempted away, and we could still be tempted to sell.

Guest nufc 4 life

The thing that works in our favour is that he came from one of the biggest clubs in Italy and was happy enough to sign for us. I do believe Martins will stay for a good 3/4 seasons but after that its anybodys guess, At the moment clubs will be looking at him from around europe and weighing up possibly bidding somewhat in the future. But as long as Oba is happy playing for Newcastle anf contributing to the team like he has done then I wouldnt worry about us losing him anytime soon.

As a players perspective I think he would want to stay here a few seasons anyway, unlike milan he is getting first team football week in week out and he is thriving on it. Long may it continue.

Amen lol but will he have the loyalty to stay?

I think the Martins signing was actually a risk especially to replace Alan Shearer! luckily it worked out, but for the first 10 or so games you sensed that he could be another flop. I'm not sure who we could sign at the moment who could get us a 20+ goal return in one season like Martins has. Who would be willing to come to St. James' aswell.

Is there any loyalty in football? sadly not mate!

Guest Knightrider

i do agree with this whole-heartedly, but who could we replace him with at his moment in time anyway even if we did get 30m for him and who would want to come to us?

did you vote by the way lol

Darren Bent would probably provide us with a similar level of service, someone like him. I have to say, if someone offered us £30m for Martins, I'd snap their hands off.

Sentimental I know, but I hope he grows to love the place and that keeps him here. Obviously if we're doing REALLY shit and someone bigger comes in there's not much hope, but he's a young player and as such I hope he'll be impressionable with regards to fans' appreciation.

If we see decent league finishes and maybe a trophey within the next 4 seasons then yes he will be here for a very long time, if within the next 4 seasons we do not improve then no he will be away.

I imagine he'll stay for another couple of years regardless of success. But by the time he's 24-25 and if we're not competing for anything then he'll be off. Wouldn't blame him either really.

On the topic of keeping players, how much longer are we going to hold on to Owen? Providing he comes back as the same player he was he won't hang around long.

Guest nufc 4 life

lol agreed other than if they're born and bred in geordie land ala shearer, taylor

Guest Gemmill

If someone big comes in for him, we've got no chance.  On the plus side, we should be looking to double our money if we do get forced to sell him.

Guest leon b

It's difficult situation to judge, i have no doubt that bigger clubs will be in for him but we have to start to improve and offer long terms prospects.

It's all good players going to your chelsea's and real madrid's but some of those teams are on the way down in my opinion, they have ageing players and are playing in leagues that are struggling to keep up with the epl at the moment.I think as long as he's treated well, and we're kicking on he'll stay.

On the topic of keeping players, how much longer are we going to hold on to Owen? Providing he comes back as the same player he was he won't hang around long.

No club is going to risk a bid on Owen now! he's on 103k a week and FFS wont sell him for a low price. Owen is stuck here for a couple of years whether he likes it or not!

Guest nufc 4 life

I imagine he'll stay for another couple of years regardless of success. But by the time he's 24-25 and if we're not competing for anything then he'll be off. Wouldn't blame him either really.

i disagree i fell he feels he owes the fans and club his services wouldn't be suprised if he saw out the rest of his career woth us it's amazing though you look at how many he game she has played for us only 12 and yet he scored in 7 of those how we need our 2 star striker back if anything just to take the pressure off of Martins

Guest Gemmill

lol agreed other than if they're born and bred in geordie land ala shearer, taylor

Taylor's from Lahhhndan, innit?

Taylor's from Lahhhndan, innit?

born london bred geordie tbh.

Remember that he left one of the biggest clubs in Europe to come here.  Right now he seems to be enjoying just playing regular football.  He's not going to go to somewhere like Chelsea if it means sitting on the bench.

Guest Gemmill

i disagree i fell he feels he owes the fans and club his services wouldn't be suprised if he saw out the rest of his career woth us it's amazing though you look at how many he game she has played for us only 12 and yet he scored in 7 of those how we need our 2 star striker back if anything just to take the pressure off of Martins

Punctuate much?

That's a fair point, he voiced his wishes on leaving after they signed Crespo didn't he? Or was it that Ibrahimovic? Anyway, he knows what it's like being a small fish in a big pond already.