Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

Man Utd - Rooney, Saha, Smith, Solskjaer

Arsenal - Henry, Aliadiere, van Persie, Adebayor

Chelsea - Drogba, Shevchenko, Kalou, Wright-Phillips

Liverpool - Kuyt, Crouch, Bellamy, Fowler

Toon - Martins, Owen, Dyer, Ameobi

Not too shabby are they?

Only us (Owen), Arsenal (Henry) and Chelsea (Drogba) has a recognised 20-a-season-man goalscorer for me, with Martins good for double figures and Dyer and Ameobi both effective forward players in their own right. I think we have a better forward line than Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea, I really do.

Guest Knightrider

Owen isn't a recognised 20 a season man. Owen is a recognised crock.

Less time spent on the sidelines than your boy Ronaldo, FACT.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Owen isn't a recognised 20 a season man. Owen is a recognised crock.

Less time spent on the sidelines than your boy Ronaldo, FACT.

Ronaldo isn't even an out and out striker and he's nailed on for 20 this season in the Prem.

Guest Knightrider

Seriously, our forward line isn't too shabby, which is kind of surprising given that we've lost Shearer, Bellamy and Kluivert in the last 3 years, and seem to constantly desire a top striker. I guess what I'm saying is that we aren't bad off up top, to be fair.

Guest Knightrider

Like how you put Wright-Phillips for Chel$ki and not Robben.  :tongue:

Much of a muchness, you can put him in there if you want.

Its not too bad on paper but we need Owen fit for a good number of games.

We certainly need defenders though (although some would have you believe this isnt the case) when it could be argued our best centre back at the moment is Bramble and our best right back spent most of his career as a midfielder, then left back....

Guest Knightrider

I would put the beast or Reyes in Arsenals 4 instead of Aliadiere as both are better and one will be there in the summer.

I would too, but the Beast may not sign on and Reyes isn't exactly a striker or a forward, but more of a winger, and while SWP is a winger, I had to pick a 4th to make things even for them ;)

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Reyes won't go back to Arsenal. And HTT, if you were referring to Ronaldo Luis Nazário de Lima earlier and not Ronaldo, then it is not a fact that Ronaldo Luis Nazário de Lima spends more time on the sidelines than Owen. Ronaldo Luis Nazário de Lima spends more time scoring goals than Owen, that is the only fact.

He's right, our forward line isn't too shabby. In fact our first XI isn't too shabby compared to most of the league. The problem is lack of depth throughout squad.

If Man U win the league this year (and I think they will) a lot of it will be down to having had four fit forwards for most of the season. Ferguson has always tried to have that available to him, and he's always had a good mix of different types. What we might miss in our front line is the Rooney / Sheringham type player who sits off the front and makes things happen.

Since I don't believe Dyer is a striker I'd say that if we buy for the forward line it should be for someone in that kind of mould, although who that would be I have no idea.

Put Spurs in there! ;)

Speaking of Spurs, this is from the guardians rumour mill:

"Anyway, at least the Sun's hackery is based on firmer foundations than some of that in Italy, where Corriere dello Sport have been either brave, or ignorant enough to link Steven Gerrard with a move to Juventus or Internazionale on the basis of the following quote: "I won't talk about the future," said Gerrard. "Roma are strong and could eliminate Manchester United from the Champions League."

But despite the complete lack of any evidence to suggest Stevie is on the move, we're still giving those transfers more chance of happening than Tottenham landing Arjen Robben. Apparently Spurs are ready to match Barcelona's £16m bid for Robben, which sadly rather implies they see themselves on equal footing with the Spanish champions."