It is about time the players were held responsible and accept the blame

Guest Knightrider

Team selection was awful  so Roeder takes a lot of blame but the players definitely have to take some blame. Don't expect anything from Carr and Babayaro because they aren't good enough to give anymore than they actually do. They are both piss poor. Butt, Parker, Dyer and Martins are much better players than they shown today though.

How often will you pretend that mediocre journeyment like Parker and Dyer are "much better" than performance after performance after performance shows?? Jesus. Every time they play shite, they get defended. Then on the rare occasions they perform, its taken as proof they are top class.

Team selection was awful  so Roeder takes a lot of blame but the players definitely have to take some blame. Don't expect anything from Carr and Babayaro because they aren't good enough to give anymore than they actually do. They are both piss poor. Butt, Parker, Dyer and Martins are much better players than they shown today though.

How often will you pretend that mediocre journeyment like Parker and Dyer are "much better" than performance after performance after performance shows?? Jesus. Every time they play s****, they get defended. Then on the rare occasions they perform, its taken as proof they are top class.

Parker and Dyer aren't mediocre players though. I wasn't defending them at all, i was picking them out as the players who let us down today because they were awful yet they are four members of our squad who are amongst the best of a average/poor bunch. They are clearly better players than they have shown today, but don't take the point i made as if i was sticking up for them because i wasn't. I was picking them out for criticism more than anything.

How often will you pretend that mediocre journeyment like Parker and Dyer are "much better" than performance after performance after performance shows?? Jesus. Every time they play s****, they get defended. Then on the rare occasions they perform, its taken as proof they are top class.

Parker and Dyer aren't mediocre players though. I wasn't defending them at all, i was picking them out as the players who let us down today because they were awful yet they are four members of our squad who are amongst the best of a average/poor bunch. They are clearly better players than they have shown today, but don't take the point i made as if i was sticking up for them because i wasn't. I was picking them out for criticism more than anything.

They are very much mediocre. They aren't 'international class', they're id table sloggers at the end of the day. And before you start on Dyer, he runs around a lot, and contributes pretty much fuck all.

They are very much mediocre. They aren't 'international class', they're id table sloggers at the end of the day. And before you start on Dyer, he runs around a lot, and contributes pretty much f*** all.

I've been one of Dyer's biggest critics on here in the past because of his attitude/injuries/lack of end product, but this season he's contributed with a few goals to be fair. I'm not calling him a great player at all though. I rate Parker but i'm not getting in an argument with you over him cos i can't be arsed. Been over it too many times. He was crap today.

They are very much mediocre. They aren't 'international class', they're id table sloggers at the end of the day. And before you start on Dyer, he runs around a lot, and contributes pretty much f*** all.

I've been one of Dyer's biggest critics on here in the past because of his attitude/injuries/lack of end product, but this season he's contributed with a few goals to be fair. I'm not calling him a great player at all though. I rate Parker but i'm not getting in an argument with you over him cos i can't be arsed. Been over it too many times. He was crap today.

4 league goals. Woo hoo. Well worth the money.

Guest Knightrider

Again, I feel the players have to take a massive slice of the blame and responsibility. Yes Roeder's substitutions and selections are s****, but are the players doing enough? Are they playing as well as they can and should be? Do they want it badly?

And thats where the manager earns his corn. Its the job of the manager to motivate the players, and if he feels he doesnt have the players who will respond to him, to then bring in ones that he thinks will.

Hes failed in both aspects. He takes the most responsibility with regards to the performance - this is what hes employed to do. If hes shit tactically, and shit in the transfer market, the least we can expect is him to be able to motivate his players - otherwise, why the hell is he in the job?

A few of us said this about Roeder a while ago - he has no motivational skills, expecially last season when he was caretaker apart from the first game. Far too many games weve come out with absolutely no urgency, determination or hunger, except when weve played a good side and the players have motivated themselves. Roeder does fuck all motivationally, the ONLY thing he seems to be able to do is give his players a bollocking at half time, and thats normally been the only way weve had a response.

Prime example last season was the derby against Sunderland. We came out for the first half looking as though we couldnt give a shit, and it took a 1-0 deficit against the Premiership's worst ever side for Roeder to get a response from his players.

I don't doubt all of that and of course you are spot on, but that still doesn't take away from the fact that the players are simply not pulling their weight and are as much to blame as Roeder is for yet another awful season. The manager always gets it in the neck and rightly so but it is about time some of the players were made examples of too and like I said in my original post there are many I'd far sooner see leave before Roeder, and that goes for the Chairman and his cronies too, who are ultimately responsible.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Knightrider

Performances like today just reaffirm my belief that the players are just as (if not more) responsible as Roeder. We were sent out without any great tactics today, while the team selection wasn't the greatest and Roeder's use of subs wasn't either, all things he rightly gets castigated for or things that get blamed for poor performances and defeats, yet today the team performed really well, despite these 'handicaps'. Makes you wonder and is frustrating. If they can play like they can today, why can't they do it more often and had they, where would we be now...

It's much easier to get 'up for' games against better sides, especially at home. When we're away to the likes of Fulham and Reading, the manager needs to get the players up for it, which he hasn't this season.

Guest Knightrider

That's an excuse, there should be no difference in motivation regardless of the opposition, if player a can't be bothered to turn up away to Bolton, yet can at home to Chelsea, that's the players fault.

I don't think you can lump the blame on one party more than the other.

It's true that the players, as professionals, should not need motivating. And it is also true that once they lack that motivation (or drive) it is Roeder's job, as a manager, to respond appropriately and re-motivate them.

Neither the players nor the manager are doing their job to a high enough standard, and that's why we're almost always absolutely frigging cacktastic to watch.

I wouldn't blame Roeder for one player lacking motivation, that would probably be down to the player.  The team lacking motivation on a regular basis is down to the manager, it's his job to manage his players and he's simply not up to the task.

In the past, we've had players like Shearer, Speed, Bellamy who have been motivated to win for every single minute of every single game they play.

Although the manager must take some responsibility for motivation, certain players, particularly the more senior influential players play an important role in getting all eleven players motivated while playing. After all, once on the pitch, there isn't much a manager can do from the sidelines. Some players dont have the natural drive of others, so it is up to other players to find it.

We need to get some determined and inflential players back into the starting lineup, particularly up front. I want to see Emre, Parker, Carr and Given taking up more motivational attitudes on the pitch, as they've got it in them, but seem to think that it is others responsibilities.