Do You Agree With Roeder ?

Rebellious
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Roeder Blames the Ref first then the defense for our exit but do you ?

Think about it our defense was Solano - RW Titus - Back up CB Taylor - Just a kid and Huntington an out of position kid.

The rest of the team was basically at full strength in their favoured positions yet we couldn`t pass, keep the ball or get a shot on target. How is this the defenses fault ?  The tactics were all wrong, so how was this the defenses fault ?

Az are the competitions highest scorers that managed to score 2 away goals when the defense were playing well yet Roeder expected a crap excuse of a defensive unit to not conceed away from home to a team that has scored 82 goals in the league and 16 or more in the uefa.

Surely the fault firstly lays at GR and secondly the small fact that we didn`t get 1 single away goal. If the team can`t hold on to the ball then the defense is going to suffer.

I don't listen to anything Gormless Glen says as he talks total bo**ocks. He is a useless manager and is running out of luck. We have performed abysmally this season  eg Sheffield Utd, Fulham(home & away), Birmingham Charlton.... I could go on but what is the point . The Roedent lovers will attack as usual.

I don't blame the defenders and have been saying this for ages.

Problem is an inability to move forward, or move the ball, and keep it, and attempt to dominate the pace of the game and keep better possession.

This primarily happens up front, supporting the forward too often [singular, therein lies the problem], and Roeder doesn't help himself by refusing to choose between Butt and Parker.

We were beaten and knocked out on thursday by a team who had pace, movement and kept better possession than us, so outplaying us.

Problem is an inability to move forward, or move the ball, and keep it, and attempt to dominate the pace of the game and keep better possession.

This primarily happens up front, supporting the forward too often [singular, therein lies the problem], and Roeder doesn't help himself by refusing to choose between Butt and Parker.

We were beaten and knocked out on thursday by a team who had pace, movement and kept better possession than us, so outplaying us.

You don't blame the defenders, get a grip.

Hunty was shite in defence, Bramble and Taylor had poor games, all defenders, or do you see it differently?

the simple fact is that the sooner we get a decent manager in, and get rid of dross like Bramble, Babayaro and Ameobi. the better.

the manager can blame anyone he likes, but ultimately, he's the one who has failed to get the required players in, who picks the team and tactics, and who is ensuring we remain shit.

The overall defeat was Roeder's fault.

Picking an unexpierenced kid who is a centre back at left back?  He sat on the touchline and watched him get skinned alive and totally embarrassed for 80+ minutes before taking him off.  It's not his fault he's not good enough at that standard, Roeder, it's yours for picking him and not doing anything to rectify the situation.  How a Premiership manager couldn't see there was a big problem at left back by half time is mind boggling.  Come on, Glenn, Duff left back and N'Zogbia left wing, think really hard and it will come to you.  Not bring on N'Zogbia with 4 minutes left when he has no time to do anything.

Roeder proved how clueless and tactically non existant he is.  He was as much out of his depth as Paul Huntington.

The overall defeat was Roeder's fault.

Picking an unexpierenced kid who is a centre back at left back?  He sat on the touchline and watched him get skinned alive and totally embarrassed for 80+ minutes before taking him off.  It's not his fault he's not good enough at that standard, Roeder, it's yours for picking him and not doing anything to rectify the situation.  How a Premiership manager couldn't see there was a big problem at left back by half time is mind boggling.  Come on, Glenn, Duff left back and N'Zogbia left wing, think really hard and it will come to you.  Not bring on N'Zogbia with 4 minutes left when he has no time to do anything.

Roeder proved how clueless and tactically non existant he is.  He was as much out of his depth as Paul Huntington.

blueyes.gif

Hunty was shite in defence, Bramble and Taylor had poor games, all defenders, or do you see it differently?

I am talking about a general problem which has been there all season. So, yes, I do. If you think that buying a better defender or two will enable the team to pass, move and force the pace of the game and dominate games more, then you should get a grip.

Anyway, you spend enough time telling people - or me- that we don't have the money, so - get a grip.

The vast majority of goals that teams concede are errors, but the bigger picture is a team problem, because you defend from the front and we are doing ourselves no favours by being poor in possession and giving the ball away cheaply all over the pitch.

I am talking about a general problem which has been there all season. So, yes, I do. If you think that buying a better defender or two will enable the team to pass, move and force the pace of the game and dominate games more, then you should get a grip.

Anyway, you spend enough time telling people - or me- that we don't have the money, so - get a grip.

The vast majority of goals that teams concede are errors, but the bigger picture is a team problem, because you defend from the front and we are doing ourselves no favours by being poor in possession and giving the ball away cheaply all over the pitch.

Players at this level CAN pass. They CAN compress play, they DO understand how to move forward as a unit........I wonder what the problem could be then?

= I don't blame the defenders and have been saying this for ages. =

Of course, it's all Martins, Dyer, Sibierski's fault, etc. that defenders can't win headers, tackles, make stupid errors, etc.

no- but it IS some of those players faults that THEY were bloody awful. the defense weren't the only ones who disgraced themselves.

Players at this level CAN pass. They CAN compress play, they DO understand how to move forward as a unit........I wonder what the problem could be then?

Not well enough at this level ?

Or a poorly setup team with no quality up front ?

There's nowt worse for ANY defence than spending too much time desperately defending, which is what happened on thursday, and has happened too many times this season, especially against the better teams.

Playing these teams and forcing the game on them, and holding the possession over them, is the day we are matching them.

To be honest you have to blame the defense. All 4 goals against Alkmaar came from defensive errors. Arveladze was completely unmarked for the first goal, Taylor handballed for the second, Huntington dived in and then Taylor failed to cut the ball out for the third and then Bramble failed to mark Koevermans properly on the fourth goal.

True, but the 4 goals those players in particular contributed to in the First Leg should have been enough to get us into the next round, regardless of how they played on Thursday night.

they did not earn the right to play so badly, letting themselves, their team mates, the club and the fans down.

they are also culpable for the loss - they gave the ball away an incredible amount of times, putting unacceptable pressure on the defence.

I do think that getting a couple of quality defenders will help the team to pass, move and force the pace of the game and dominate games more.  Our defenders can't defend so we're under pressure as soon as the ball comes into our half.

I agree with you that defending should begin up front, that's not going to help when we have a team attacking our defenders who are not good enough.  You seem to think that Duff is a good player, why is it that the worst defender was playing behind him, is that the fault of the defender or Duff?

I don't have a problem with your opinion about us giving the ball away too cheaply, it's plain to see that this is happening.  No team will retain the ball enough to play with shite defenders and get away with it, we're trying to do that.

they did not earn the right to play so badly, letting themselves, their team mates, the club and the fans down.

they are also culpable for the loss - they gave the ball away an incredible amount of times, putting unacceptable pressure on the defence.

That goes back to the team selection as much as those who played, we had a negative setup compared to the first game.

Dyer should have played in the middle with Martins to give us a bit of pace, Milner should have been on the wing where he could have caused a few problems.  Sibierski is a Trier, he's also as slow as my granddad who has been dead for 18 years.

Guest assyriantoon

To be honest you have to blame the defense. All 4 goals against Alkmaar came from defensive errors. Arveladze was completely unmarked for the first goal, Taylor handballed for the second, Huntington dived in and then Taylor failed to cut the ball out for the third and then Bramble failed to mark Koevermans properly on the fourth goal.

Given's mistake for the third. Second was also questionable. In the end, over the whole tie, Newcastle had far more chances then AZ. I think the end result comes down firstly to the contrast between Martins and Koevermans movement and Martins missing an easy chance at the end of the first leg.

You keep hold of possession by having a team full of players who have a good level of general footballing ability, having a striker who can hold the ball up isn't going to do fuck all for you long term as he can't hold the ball up for more than 15 seconds at a time, Shearer was excellent at holding the ball up but we still conceded sloppy goals because our defenders are just not good enough.

Carr, Babayaro, Taylor, Ramage, Moore and Parker are all technically inept with a football at their feet, until these players are replaced with people who can manage the basics then we will continue to play long ball rubbish every week, I wouldn't be surprised if Alkmaar's whole team cost less than what we paid for Luque but because they can do the simple things look far superior to us and made us look like mugs.

Not well enough at this level ?

Or a poorly setup team with no quality up front ?

There's nowt worse for ANY defence than spending too much time desperately defending, which is what happened on thursday, and has happened too many times this season, especially against the better teams.

Playing these teams and forcing the game on them, and holding the possession over them, is the day we are matching them.

For me this is the core of the problem. Roeder doesn't really know how to get a team to play to a style consistently, I suspect he has a general idea who should be doing what, but beyond that he is incapable of stamping some kind of cohesive vision on our game.