What, for you, has been Newcastle's WORST Premiership season?

Keefaz
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Too young to remember the earlier seasons as im 19, but out of say the last 10 years to me its between this season and the season we finished 14th, probably this one though because our future isnt looking too attractive. The season we got pipped for the title was bad but lets face it, how good would we feel to finish 2nd now?

Tbh,anything post Keegan that doesn't involve Sir Bobby but i went for two seasons ago.One bad thing after another happened,but the worst was the Souness appointment,we all knew he'd be a hatchet man and he was,What was worse was his signings and THAT cup semi at Cardiff........

I think I misunderstood the premise of the question somewhat as I've just voted for 1995/96. :blush:

:uglystupid2:

Nah man, the poll question says "which season makes you feel ill?" which is subtly different to "what has been the worst season?" - easy to see how I voted that way.

I think I misunderstood the premise of the question somewhat as I've just voted for 1995/96. :blush:

:uglystupid2:

Nah man, the poll question says "which season makes you feel ill?" which is subtly different to "what has been the worst season?" - easy to see how I voted that way.

I didn't even read that one. :D

I meant what, for you, has been the worst season. The one that makes you feel worst right now looking back on it.

In which case I definitely stick by my original vote. For me, everything went downhill from that moment Keegan lost his rag live on Sky. I had high hopes for Dalglish, I can't explain why I got so excited by the signing of Tomasson or Guivarc'h :blush: but I did...

I had high hopes for SBR too, and things looked like they were getting better until the summer before he got sacked. Since then, we've just been on the slide, gradually becoming more and more derided by the pundits, the "top" teams, and generally being regarded as an increasing irrelevance in the Premiership. We're just making up the numbers at the moment.

Sure, Souness's reign of terror was like watching a loved one get mown down by a speeding juggernaut, sickening to see the whole Bellamy, Dyer, Bowyer shenanigans...but since that was all just part of a bigger picture of our gradual demise, it's sort of blurred into the rest of the misery.

I had high hopes for SBR too, and things looked like they were getting better until the summer before he got sacked. Since then, we've just been on the slide, gradually becoming more and more derided by the pundits, the "top" teams, and generally being regarded as an increasing irrelevance in the Premiership. We're just making up the numbers at the moment.

Sure, Souness's reign of terror was like watching a loved one get mown down by a speeding juggernaut, sickening to see the whole Bellamy, Dyer, Bowyer shenanigans...but since that was all just part of a bigger picture of our gradual demise, it's sort of blurred into the rest of the misery.

Very, very, very well said GM.

I meant what, for you, has been the worst season. The one that makes you feel worst right now looking back on it.

In which case I definitely stick by my original vote. For me, everything went downhill from that moment Keegan lost his rag live on Sky. I had high hopes for Dalglish, I can't explain why I got so excited by the signing of Tomasson or Guivarc'h :blush: but I did...

That's a fair point. In fact I would consider the 3rd and 5th finish seasons pretty fucking shit despite the position, because after that we spectacularly failed to build on a genuine chance to join in with the big boys.

I say it's tricky, because it was very difficult for me to answer. There's a few I could plum for, and some, like the season you picked looks worse as more time goes by. I went for the popular choice in the end though. It's the one freshest in the memory, it basically ruined the club for years, and Souness is the only former manager I'd actually like to see bludgeoned to death.

The more I look back on that 5th finish with SBR, the more I see how bad it was. There was a furore about the booing at the last home game, but look at the facts: utter shambles against Partizan--essentially undoing all the good work of the season before--the Marseille disappointment, failure to claim CL place, and general downturn in the quality of the football.

We had faltered in that season where we finished fifth because Bobby made no signings during the summer. He didn't build on it... or so you'd think.

He was building a squad through experience. He only made one change to the squad, bringing in Bowyer, because we had three or four very promising younger players coming through. He was really on his way - the Ambroses, the Taylors, the Bellamys, etc. The team were going to win nothing that particular season because it wasn't ready to. It would have been though, more so, in the 04/05 season and beyond, where he stupidly got sacked.

He was building the team into something that would have been really good, bringing in the likes of Milner, Kluivert and Zoggy that summer, but got sacked and Souness ruined it cos he was shit. I'd have loved to have seen that team and those players develop under Bobby.

But to answer, the 04/05 season was just utter dogshit, and the loss to Sporting was the worst thing i'd ever experienced as a Newcastle fan. I wasn't really old enough to understand the title capitulations.

We had faltered in that season where we finished fifth because Bobby made no signings during the summer. He didn't build on it... or so you'd think.

He was building a squad through experience. He only made one change to the squad, bringing in Bowyer, because we had three or four very promising younger players coming through. He was really on his way - the Ambroses, the Taylors, the Bellamys, etc. The team were going to win nothing that particular season because it wasn't ready to. It would have been though, more so, in the 04/05 season and beyond, where he stupidly got sacked.

He was building the team into something that would have been really good, bringing in the likes of Milner, Kluivert and Zoggy that summer, but got sacked and Souness ruined it cos he was shit. I'd have loved to have seen that team and those players develop under Bobby.

Oh, I agree. SBR was definitely building along the right lines. Even if the answer were to replace Sir Bob, to replace him with Souness was a fucking awful joke. I can't imagine a more efficient way of destroying a football team short of lining up the players and shooting them in the knees.

Too many people forget that we signed Woodgate for £9m in the January though.

Too many people forget that we signed Woodgate for £9m in the January though.

No we didn't. We signed him in the year we finished third, 02/03.

Incidentally, in that January of 03/04, we sold Nobby off.

I think the SBR/Solano relationship was a bit weird, tbh. Presumably SBR's plan was to move Dyer to the right with Ambrose as understudy: but that didn't exactly work out!

Incidentally, in that January of 03/04, we sold Nobby off.

I think the SBR/Solano relationship was a bit weird, tbh. Presumably SBR's plan was to move Dyer to the right with Ambrose as understudy: but that didn't exactly work out!

Yeah, he explained it in his autobiography. He got rid of Solano because he said he had Dyer, Ambrose and Bowyer who all could play there. Was correct in theory, but the truth was, all three of them were, really, centre-midfielders.