Pure buying power is now in another league to us.

Parky

Most Expensive Player Transfers in English Football - up to August 2006

Player  From  To

Amount £m

Andriy Shevchenko

AC Milan

Chelsea

Rio Ferdinand

Leeds

Man U

Juan Sebastian Veron

Lazio

Man U

Wayne Rooney

Everton

Man U

Michael Essien

Lyon

Chelsea

Didier Drogba

Marseille

Chelsea

Shaun Wright-Phillips

Man City

Chelsea

Ricardo Carvalho

Porto

Chelsea

Ruud Van Nistelroy

PSV

Man U

Michael Carrick

Tottenham

Man U

With our turnover hovering around £80m plus our continuing debt financing and high wages, I very much doubt we can compete for the PL title for at least another decade. Top 6 finishes are the best we can hope for sadly for the forseeable future. For the biggest names it is really just a head to head between ManU and Chelsea over the last 5 years...And although ManU already have Carrick and are reported to having purse strings tightenend there are persuasive rumours they have offerred £25m for Hargreaves.

We need to have 3/4 world class players on our books to think about challenging againg for anything atm we have ONE Owen, who if we are luck will play 50-60% of matches next year. We used to be able to compete financially and infact we are still in the Euro top 12 on turnover, the key aspect that is missing from our portfolio is regular CL qualification, for this we are going to have to shift one of the top4 and to do that we are going to have to finance the core of a new side.

I don't see Arsenal there and I still think they're in the running for the PL next season. It's not all about the dough.

That was one thing I was mulling when I was researching this, but you see their turnover is now £121m, that is some £40m a season more than us, althought they are carrying more debt (figures hard to find on PL debt). Arsenal have stayed competitive purely by an insanely successful scouting structure and also hoovering up the 2nd tier of talent in Europe.

Wenger is a special manager, Jose just blows a fortune on everyone elses best players, where as Wenger finds unknown talent. Best team to watch play by miles are the Gooners, fantastic passing football. I think Reyes was their most exspensive player ever bought, at £20 mill was'nt he ?

Money is killing the game, season after season player prices go up, and now unless you have a major rich owner of your club then you can forget about competing for anything in football.

We have blown big money on players but its usualy 1 big signing per window/season, where as Chelski blow fortunes on 3-4 players, its mental.

I don't see Arsenal there and I still think they're in the running for the PL next season. It's not all about the dough.

That was one thing I was mulling when I was researching this, but you see their turnover is now £121m, that is some £40m a season more than us, althought they are carrying more debt (figures hard to find on PL debt). Arsenal have stayed competitive purely by an insanely successful scouting structure and also hoovering up the 2nd tier of talent in Europe.

That option was available to us once upon a time. Now it's a bit late.

Guest Gemmill

You stopped your list just short of Michael Owen to Newcastle.  Is it because it didn't fit in with your argument? ;)  Not challenging for the title is now a given as far as I'm concerned.  We haven't genuinely done that since Keegan left tbh - even that season under Robson, anyone thinking we were genuine contenders was delusional (we were up there, but we were never in the running to win it).

You stopped your list just short of Michael Owen to Newcastle.  Is it because it didn't fit in with your argument? ;)  Not challenging for the title is now a given as far as I'm concerned.  We haven't genuinely done that since Keegan left tbh - even that season under Robson, anyone thinking we were genuine contenders was delusional (we were up there, but we were never in the running to win it).

Five to ManU and five to Chelsea had a nice ring to it. :lol: In all seriousness what that list shows is that the top 2 are buying one or two Micheal Owens every year in recent years. When's the last time we paid £20m+ for a defender? :cheesy:

It is clear that buying Owen and then another £10m on Martins has stretched us to the max and had the knock on affect of leaving us virtually no money for a balanced side ie the defence.

In sponsorship terms we are 5th we get £4m a year from Northern Rock.

"Manchester United said turnover was £165.4 million for the year, against £157.2 million for the 11 months to June 2005. Pre-tax profit for the year to June 2005 was £10.8 million.

Since June 2006 the club has brought in more money from its four-year £56.5 million shirt sponsorship deal with AIG and has seen match day revenue increase with the growth in its Old Trafford stadium capacity from 68,000 to 76,000.

In addition, the latest round of three-year domestic TV deals, which start with the 2007-08 season, generated £1.7 billion in total for Premier League clubs and could see a 65 per cent increase in Premiership TV money for every top flight club, according to Barclays Capital."

http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/161163/manchester-united-predicts-dramatic-growth-in-income

Liverpool:

After Les had warmed up the meeting in his inimitable fashion it was time for Rick Parry to take to the podium. Doubtless the presence of the European Cup was a factor in Rick's sartorial decisions for the meeting. The risk of a reflected Parry special being beamed into the eyes of the great and good of LFC was too great and it was a relatively subdued shirt and tie combo that our Chief Exec was sporting. I removed the protective goggles and settled back to enjoy the speech.

"After last year's heated affair this AGM was a doddle for RP. To his credit he didn't dwell on Istanbul, but it was always in the background of any summation of the past year. The figures invested in players compared well with our rivals bar the obvious one, and the brave decision to look to Spain for the new manager was thoroughly vindicated. RP had some interesting news concerning the negotiations for a new Champions League deal, total income was likely to rise by 25% although English clubs would see a likely increase of 12%"

It was only a handful of years ago our turnover was practically the same as Liverpool's. The CL rollover qualifications have seen to that mind.

Wenger is a special manager, Jose just blows a fortune on everyone elses best players, where as Wenger finds unknown talent. Best team to watch play by miles are the Gooners, fantastic passing football. I think Reyes was their most exspensive player ever bought, at £20 mill was'nt he ?

Money is killing the game, season after season player prices go up, and now unless you have a major rich owner of your club then you can forget about competing for anything in football.

We have blown big money on players but its usualy 1 big signing per window/season, where as Chelski blow fortunes on 3-4 players, its mental.

just imagine if we had a manager who could do half the things wenger could

Guest Invicta_Toon

I very much doubt we can compete for the PL title 

I had high hopes under Dogleesh, Gullit, SBR and Shitness

but i'm with you, only NOW have I conceded this fact

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wenger doesn't find them, most were found by Damien Comolli who was his chief European scout.

Guest Invicta_Toon

just imagine if we had a manager who could do half the things wenger could

we'd be 6th?

Guest Invicta_Toon

Five to ManU and five to Chelsea had a nice ring to it. :lol: In all seriousness what that list shows is that the top 2 are buying one or two Micheal Owens every year in recent years. When's the last time we paid £20m+ for a defender? :cheesy:

It is clear that buying Owen and then another £10m on Martins has stretched us to the max and had the knock on affect of leaving us virtually no money for a balanced side ie the defence.

In sponsorship terms we are 5th we get £4m a year from Northern Rock.

they can spend that money because they are there. You would have us bankrupt in a year just trying to get there

Wenger doesn't find them, most were found by Damien Comolli who was his chief European scout.

I don't think there are many of us who seriously pictured Wenger popping off to Belgium to take in an under 18 match on his days off, like.

Most Expensive Player Transfers in English Football - up to August 2006

Player  From  To

Amount £m

Andriy Shevchenko

AC Milan

Chelsea

Rio Ferdinand

Leeds

Man U

Juan Sebastian Veron

Lazio

Man U

Wayne Rooney

Everton

Man U

Michael Essien

Lyon

Chelsea

Didier Drogba

Marseille

Chelsea

Shaun Wright-Phillips

Man City

Chelsea

Ricardo Carvalho

Porto

Chelsea

Ruud Van Nistelroy

PSV

Man U

Michael Carrick

Tottenham

Man U

With our turnover hovering around £80m plus our continuing debt financing and high wages, I very much doubt we can compete for the PL title for at least another decade. Top 6 finishes are the best we can hope for sadly for the forseeable future. For the biggest names it is really just a head to head between ManU and Chelsea over the last 5 years...And although ManU already have Carrick and are reported to having purse strings tightenend there are persuasive rumours they have offerred £25m for Hargreaves.

We need to have 3/4 world class players on our books to think about challenging againg for anything atm we have ONE Owen, who if we are luck will play 50-60% of matches next year. We used to be able to compete financially and infact we are still in the Euro top 12 on turnover, the key aspect that is missing from our portfolio is regular CL qualification, for this we are going to have to shift one of the top4 and to do that we are going to have to finance the core of a new side.

The same 2 teams every time, Parky mate.

This should tell you something.

I don't think we will ever win the league, unless we have an Abramovic, or alternatively he walks away from them. We could get our act together, like Arsenal with Wenger, and finish higher than one of Chelsea or manu, but not both, without matching them financially, because they are in a different league.......although it will be interesting to see if the debt manu has due to the Glazers taking over impacts in the long term.

We had our chance in 1996.

Arsenal have a debt of £262.1 million which was spent on building the new stadium, they already make a profit every year and if you add to that the 20,000 extra seats they now fill they should pay it off in no time, they also sold the naming rights to the stadium for something like £15 million a season.

Our problem was we borrowed £42 million to put the extra seats in SJP but we didn't use the extra income to our advantage, instead of using the extra revenue to pay off the debt and give us a financial edge over everyone else, we now function beyond that amount so we're continuing to lose money as well as doubling the amount of debt we have.

I don't think there are many of us who seriously pictured Wenger popping off to Belgium to take in an under 18 match on his days off, like.

The way some talk on here I wouldn't be so sure.

The way some talk on here I wouldn't be so sure.

Well at least the Chariman isn't the main talent spotter. :cheesy:

............. who is now continuing the good work with Spurs who this week beat Arsenal at u18 level (3-0 at their place) for only the 3rd time since Wenger joined the other lot up the road.  6 of the team were Comolli signings and the latest, Alex Olsen, made his debut and scored the first goal.

Incidentally, Alex Inglethorpe is (apparently) doing a sensational job  as Academy Coach.

............. who is now continuing the good work with Spurs who this week beat Arsenal at u18 level (3-0 at their place) for only the 3rd time since Wenger joined the other lot up the road.  6 of the team were Comolli signings and the latest, Alex Olsen, made his debut and scored the first goal.

Incidentally, Alex Inglethorpe is (apparently) doing a sensational job  as Academy Coach.

You got knocked out of the FA Youth Cup by the mighty Chester City!!  mackems.gif

Depressing but not surprising.

Honestly, with Arsenal debt ridden for the forseeable future, who other than Manure and Chelsea has a shot at the title for the next decade or so?

Saddling their Glazer debt, even ManU may have a hard time keeping up once Giggs and Scholes are no longer servicable.

Who knows...If Bellamy wasn't injured for the rest of what was remaining of the 2nd half of the season, we probably would have still be in touching distance off the leaders....

Guest maznislav

Actually, I think we do have some class players. If the next season we buy the right players on the right places we do have a chance to compete for one of the places in the Champions League. The big difference between us and the top 4 teams is in the manager. We do not have a manager who can take the best for each player in its team.

You got knocked out of the FA Youth Cup by the mighty Chester City!!    mackems.gif

But there was a good reason for that defeat...................... erm............... we were robbed by the ref/we were plagued by injuries/we were unlucky/we were shit on the night (please delete those not appropriate).

The last one looks favourite! :lol: :lol: