Nikola Žigić

Optimistic Nut

Sky Sports' resident Spanish super ITK Senor Balague, while running through the Goal of the Week competition said, "knocked down by Nicola Zigic who Newcastle are extremely interested in". Remember this is the guy who revealed the Torres bid before it came out properly in the press and by the player. Do you think Roeder plans on playing Martins, Owen AND Zigic?

Makes sense. Roeder cant build a team that plays on the ground, he cant coach that into his players, so his only solution is to bring in a big lump of a forward so that we can continue pumping the ball long.

Zigic will just be Sibierski's replacement in the team, and well probably be looking at an initial experimental stage with Owen + Martins being the pair, and if that doesnt work, Zigic coming into the side to play alongside whoever is in form, and if it does work, Zigic being an "alternative".

What will really happen is that because the team cant play decent football and keep pumping it long, Zigic will become the main forward and Owen/Martins will just be wasted when theyre chasing crappy knock downs all day long.

Guest elbee909

Makes sense. Roeder cant build a team that plays on the ground, he cant coach that into his players, so his only solution is to bring in a big lump of a forward so that we can continue pumping the ball long.

Should get Jonny Wilkinson in goal to drop kick it upfield.

Should get Jonny Wilkinson in goal to drop kick it upfield.

He failed his medical.

We also gave a trial to Steve Harmison because we heard hes a Geordie who could throw a good long ball. Thats the main reason why he was training with us. Harmison unfortunately starred for England in the cricket team pretty soon after, so turned us own.

Senior clubs

Years Club App (Gls)*

1998–02 AIK Backa Topola 76 (68)

2002 Mornar Bar 23 (15)

2002-03 Kolubara Lazarevac 8 (3)

2002-03 Spartak Subotica 11 (14)

2003-2006 Red Star Belgrade 77 (55)

2006-present Racing Santander 19 (7) 

National team

2004- Serbia 18 (7)

Very good goalscoring record.

In the Serbian league, or whatever that is.

We don't need a player like this! Why is Roeder so keen on long ball? Jesus Christ. That's of course if the rumours are true. Which wouldn't suprise me. Crouch/Babel/etc -  big men.

s Racing have said the fee will be £8.2m (12m),

Fucking waste of precious cash that we don't have, and can't afford to splash on un-needed, un-tried foreigners. 

Viduka, just down the road, is available on a free. 12 goals this season, including a better-than 1 in 2 goals ratio. Not bad for a fat Aussie pie-eater that couldn't give a shit anymore. :rolleyes:

Now believe Balague or MJ. Hmm, toughie.

Wasn't me quoting £8.2m, I was providing the link to skysports.com.  If you don't like that link, you could try

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/feb20b.html

or

http://talkingsoccer.blogspot.com/2007/02/tottenham-keep-tabs-on-zigic.html

or

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=32114

Does that make it any easier for you?  Personally, I still think he will wind up in Italy if Racing hold out for €12m.

If we are to go for a big bastard, then at least it's reassuring to know we're going for the best one around and I, for one, can take smug satisfaction in knowing that I mentioned him as a potential signing absolutely donkey's years ago now. I tend to agree with monkey's philosophy now, though. While big-men can be extremely invaluable in certain teams (Drogba and Berbatov are the current "target-men" doing the business), I'm worried that if we do sign someone like him that we'll play more direct than ever before. It would be a useful option to have in certain games and at certain times, but he's not going to come here without being a first-choice player.

Just cannot see him joining us, especially at that price. It's just very unlikely.

With Jan Koller on the wane, he's the best big man in the business at the moment.

Not only is he huge, but he has amazing balance. Very hard to knock down. This man is NOT a Peter Crouch.

As long as it's done with half a brain, long ball isn't necessarily a bad thing, with this guy in, I'd be all for it.

8m is a VERY reasonable price I think. What I'm not sure of is whether we should be buying a striker at all.

Now believe Balague or MJ. Hmm, toughie.

Wasn't me quoting £8.2m, I was providing the link to skysports.com.  If you don't like that link, you could try

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/feb20b.html

or

http://talkingsoccer.blogspot.com/2007/02/tottenham-keep-tabs-on-zigic.html

or

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=32114

Does that make it any easier for you?  Personally, I still think he will wind up in Italy if Racing hold out for €12m.

I've not even clicked but i bet from the names of the websites that two of them are talking shite.  :lol:

It's amazing how everyone gets so angry when we are linked to a tall striker and assumes that we will therefore be playing long ball!

The long ball game in my opinion has nothing to do witht he striker but more to do with the composure and quality of your centre backs who are most responsible for lumping the ball forward.

We already have two smaller quicker strikers and so it makes sense for us to go for someone who is a bit bigger and more of a presence. There is also nothing wrong with occassionally playing the ball long if the short pass isn't available. Good football is all about variation, and making the right choice in the right circumstances.

Roeder has said a million times himself that he wants to play the ball along the ground so why not just trust him. Obviously we are not doing it at the moment because the players we currently have (particularly the defenders, yes titus I'm talking to you) are not being patient enough or composed enough. I know sometimes the midfielders might not show to collect the ball, but it is up to the defenders to call for them and not just lump the ball forward.

Guest rosstoon

Ive seen him play a few times and he is a skillfull player on the ball. he can hold up play, bring others into the gaem andhe can score goals. Hes not all about his size and strength. I woul rather him or Carew that Crouch.

Most teams we play now put our back four under pressure early as they know they are not good enought to exploit any gaps left in the midfield and will invariably punt it long.

We dont look like we know how to coordintate 'building from the back' as a collective.