Sadly...

Parky

..rumours continue to persist that we're getting ready to bid for Crouch in the summer and he is our No.1 target. This raises the obvious concern that Roeder will continue to play the ingenious 'hoof' up the middle and knockdown stylee. Then there is the issue of Owen/Martins and Crouch...How will they all play together? We need a big man upfront but I'd rather we had one with pace and power and good ball skills ala Anelka than the one dimensional Crouch.

I think its a bit harsh to label Crouch one dimensional, he is good on the floor and is agile for a big man.

Still think we could do better, he will no doubt cost upwards of £10m.

i don't think buying Crouch would force us to hoof the ball up the middle always... do it just me that crouch was decent in his feet also.... even his feet finishing was a bit pathetic... but seeing crouch over head kick against that turkey club was blinding me... that think Crouch was decent at feet also...

I think its a bit harsh to label Crouch one dimensional, he is good on the floor and is agile for a big man.

Aye, agreed. Unless one of Owen/Martins is leaving? I cannot see the Stick Insect coming here unless he was promised first-team football. Would be nice to have a squad of high-quality strikers, mind, but it's exceptionally hard to achieve for a squad who's not in Europe. If we are to buy a striker of this sort, I'd still prefer Zigic - as they'd probably cost the same and from what I've seen in La Liga/Internationals the Serbian is a far more dominant presence than Crouch and has a lot of technical ability, as well.

I'm not as much against the "direct" route as everyone else seems to be. From what I remember we've played the best football of my lifetime by playing quick, direct football revolving around a target-man of a striker (Ferdinand/Shearer). With a "tinkerer" alongside, though (Beardsley/Bellamy.)

Guest eyeball_tickler

crouch is laughable. so what if he has "good feet" many players have "good feet". he only plays because he's tall, even though he has no heading ability.

the only thing worse than us being "linked" with him is the fact that we probably did bid and will bid again for him.

crouch is laughable. so what if he has "good feet" many players have "good feet". he only plays because he's tall, even though he has no heading ability.

the only thing worse than us being "linked" with him is the fact that we probably did bid and will bid again for him.

....and what's worse is that Raffa fancies...............Owen.

Guest Toon83

Crouch is a quality premiership player in my opinion and would be a great signing, the £10m quoted seems a bit steap though, but considering Rafa has singed up Vorinin *spelling* for next season, then i think Crouch will be the man to be sacrificed.

When he has played with Bellamy this season they have looked a good combination, and with Martins (a better version of Bellamy), and Owen i think Crouch will be a great signing and will compliment both, lets face it Michael Owen will never play a full season so Crouch and Ameobi will be given alot of chances (if we sing Crouch) next season and we will have a strong, diverse strikeforce

....and what's worse is that Raffa fancies...............Owen.

Ditto!... but what about NUFC fans are they ready to let go Owen?

Guest Gemmill

He is literally one dimension though tbf.

Wouldn't it have been better to go back in for Babel as the third forward/winger who can basically play anywhere along the attacking line and is a very good age and size for PL stardom?

Wouldn't it have been better to go back in for Babel as the third forward/winger who can basically play anywhere along the attacking line and is a very good age and size for PL stardom?

It certainly makes sense and is more in fitting with Roeder's so-called "policy" for this Summer. I cannot see Crouch's value increasing if we buy him, but we may well get more than what we paid in a future sale if we can manage to snare Babel (as we should do with Martins.)

Babel would certainly appear to be more of a long-term investment, than a quick fix.

I get the feeling that when the pressure is on Roeder, like now, he will not hesitate to find "quick fixes", though, as he's desperate to succeed in his "dream job" and will probably do anything possible to keep the seat.

Guest Invicta_Toon

career league goals per appearance including subs

Martins    Crouch    Owen

0.33      0.29        0.52

Guest teepee

The vertical stripes will do nothing for him.

:D

as for crouch - we could do a lot worse, but also a lot better imo!

babel - i don't think he is what we need - if we even are to sign a new striker, it should be someone who can complement owen/martins better than him!

Fairly useless post, Vic, all things considered. Not just concerning Crouch, either.

If Roeder wants to play hoofball, then he shouldn't buy Crouch. Big Pete is useless at heading and that kinda style of game in general  ;D

Anyway, hopefully Crouchy stays here. He has been criminally under-used this season,  he's been our best striker, yet for some unknown reason, Rafa won't play him enough. Crouchy has a better goals a game average than Berbatov in the league this season, yet fans w*** over him, and slate Crouch, 's funny old game innit.   

Berbatov has been fairly decent in other areas, though, mate.

Not everything is based on goal records/ratios, is it?

it is with Crouchy apparently.

It's what 'argument' fit the player isn't it. First couple months of last season, everything else about Crouch's game was excellent, but he couldn't score to save his life, and that is all that mattered, he was labeled useless. Yet, now apparently, goals aint the be all and end all, I really can't keep up ;) His game is pretty good in general though, so that isn't an issue to me. He's our best forward imo, don't know what that says about the rest  ^-^

Guest Invicta_Toon

Fairly useless post, Vic, all things considered. Not just concerning Crouch, either.

what fucking things?

goals per game when comparing strikers? aye fucking useless...

Guest Gemmill

Martins    Crouch     Owen

0.33       0.29        0.52

what fucking things?

goals per game when comparing strikers? aye fucking useless...

Ooooo Vic could crush a grape.