Gooch Onyewu

Nobby

Guest Bramble OG

Would rather spend the money on Hyypia etc, who are realiable proven premiership quality.

Yeah lets scrape around the rejects and keep patching the defence together for years to come - Onyewu iam undecided on and would give him untill the end of the season before writing him off.  But we really need to spend money on the defence and not patch it together with ageing has beens

He is utter gash and should not be offered a contract.

Weak as piss when rolled over by a Charlton player at the weekend.

No better than what we have and if we are to buy someone the minimum must be that they are better than what we have already.

Guest Darth Toon

Would like to see him get a few games alongside Taylor before judging for certain, but I admit the signs aren't brilliant.

Guest Toon21

Is it a safe bet he's back next year?  I want to get a shirt with his name/number but I don't want buy one then have him leave.

Roeder still to decide over Gooch's Newcastle offer

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder says on-loan Standard Liege defender Oguchi Onyewu is still to convince him that he deserves a permanent deal.

Roeder said: "Goochie was a loan signing, it's a free look, it's the best way to have a look at a player and it can't do any harm. If they aren't good enough, you send them back to their clubs.

"He has got eight games left to prove he is good enough. I'll use those games to make my mind up about him, as long as I decide he is the right man to play.

"If he doesn't start he can't impress so he has a fight on his hands. I've seen enough of him, without the European games, to get to know him."

Guest Mantis

I love how players are written off after half a dozen games.  Show me a defender that would look composed when playing alongside Bramble, Huntington and Solano.  I'm not making a judgement on him yet because we have not seen enough.  TBH if he had other options he'd probably want to spare himself the pain of playing with this bunch.

I say keep Gooch, he'll only get better and his presence is huge. No point in letting him at all, we need the bodies and imo hes doing well for us.

Keep him and get a bunch more defenders in too O0

Players need time to settle in. Its pretty much a gamble in this department.

Look at Evra, Vidic, Agger, Boumsong, Ben Haim, Boulahrouz. All average/shite when they first joined. Some blossom some dont. Its anyone's guess whether Gooch can make it or not but he's certainly not doing himself justice at the moment.

Guest toon tone rudeboy

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder says on-loan Standard Liege defender Oguchi Onyewu is still to convince him that he deserves a permanent deal.

Roeder said: "Goochie was a loan signing, it's a free look, it's the best way to have a look at a player and it can't do any harm. If they aren't good enough, you send them back to their clubs.

"He has got eight games left to prove he is good enough. I'll use those games to make my mind up about him, as long as I decide he is the right man to play.

"If he doesn't start he can't impress so he has a fight on his hands.  I've seen enough of him, without the European games, to get to know him."

Announce that he has eight games left to prove himself but allude to the fact that you already have come to some sort of a conclusion.  That will really get the best out of the player!

Guest Verlaine

"If he doesn't start he can't impress so he has a fight on his hands.  I've seen enough of him, without the European games, to get to know him."

Announce that he has eight games left to prove himself but allude to the fact that you already have come to some sort of a conclusion.  That will really get the best out of the player!

I don't think that's the case at all.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Bramble #2

Your wrong, like.

He's as bad as Boumsong, just cheaper. Not good enough and I think his transfer will fall through.

I say keep Gooch, he'll only get better and his presence is huge. No point in letting him at all, we need the bodies and imo hes doing well for us.

Keep him and get a bunch more defenders in too O0

Thats what some people used to say about Shambles. They were wrong.

Guest teepee

Since Bramble's contract expires this season, I think Gooch will be excellent replacement.

i agree - i'd let bramble go and snap up gooch. i'm dead certain that gooch will be a much better player than bramble is - titus has proved that he is not nearly good enough - gooch still has a chance

They are about the same age arent they? Harsh on the number of games played but im not confident Gooch is any better than Bramble and if this is the case we are letting one go and paying another couple of million for a new one!

I was never convinced Gooch would improve Newcastle's defence. I watch most US games and I can't think of one American player I would want playing for the Toon right now.

I still hope he improves and works out for us. Here is one point: there is immense pressure for him to do well from the national team. Since Howard left ManUre and Beasely left PSV, Gooch is playing for easily the biggest team in the world of any American national. Most capped yanks play in the MLS, the Belgian league or worse... Everton.*

*(Only joking half the national team actually plays for Fulham which is almost as bad)

I was never convinced Gooch would improve Newcastle's defence. I watch most US games and I can't think of one American player I would want playing for the Toon right now.

Out of the american national team I would have

Howard, Friedel, Gooch, Bocanegra, Spector, Dempsey, Adu,Bobby Convey. Most of them on the bench only though