Gooch Onyewu

Nobby

I was never convinced Gooch would improve Newcastle's defence. I watch most US games and I can't think of one American player I would want playing for the Toon right now.

Out of the american national team I would have

Howard, Friedel, Gooch, Bocanegra, Spector, Dempsey, Adu,Bobby Convey. Most of them on the bench only though

At the very best these players would be stuck in the reserves with the exception of Howard & Friedel who are not better than Given and Harper and would cause unrest by fixing what is not broken. Friedel BTW doesn't count since he retired two years ago.

Gooch - jury is still out

Bocanegra is a liability. He uses agression and cheats to hide his faults not unlike Carr except Carlos is not as good at cheating.

SPector would not be able to make the grade at Newcastle IMO - but I could be wrong

Dempsey - we will see how things work out for him

Adu - overhyped and bound to failure

Convey... a possibility but how many midfielder type players do we need? (Now that I am writing this I think he would actually be better than Duff)

Other than McBride & Dempsey the US does not produce out and out fowards or well balnced wingers... usually they have midfielders that sort of pretend to be forwards (see Convey, Wolff, Donavon, and Ching) Convey fits into this definition of neither fish nor foul - an attacking midfielder/winger/striker that is not creative and not so good at defnce. He woudl be useless to us (but maybe better than Duff - so I could see your point). Admittedly he did well in the CHampionship (at Reading) ... but then so is CHopra.

A year ago I might have suggested Da Marcus Beasely.. but I am glad we didn;t make that mistake.

Guest JamesD

in a few years, michael bradley or ricardo clark would be worth a look if we need a new DM.  Bradley played a year in the states before transfering to Heerenveen and is now starting to get looked at for the national team, and Ricardo Clark is already probably the best defensive midfielder in the league. and has to be pretty young (24ish?) Both of them actually played for the MLS team i like, but as with the team, they were gone after a short amount of time unfortunately.

I actually haven't seen Gooch play many games, but from what I have seen he does have a way to go to obtain a contract. But then part of me thinks that Roeder will take him anyway out of desparation if he is cheap enough - If only to replace Bramble. We need someone who could lead a defense, but I doubt Gooch, with his lack of high league competition experience, could take on that role. But then again he has only played for a couple of months, it took Obe 6 months to really settle in.

We need to get at least 3 top quality defenders in the summer and i'm not including Gooch as I assume he would have gotten the contract by then. We don't want old players who have been world class and are now stepping it down. Roberto Carlos, who has confirmed he will be leaving Real Madrid at the end of the season, is a potential target, certainly short term, as he is getting on a bit. What do you all think? I mean, he may be looking to join the EPL, and it is unlikely the Man Utds and Chelseas would be after him because of his age.

Guest Sniffer

Why would you want carlos? He  is short on pace in Spain so I doubt he could last in the premier league which is two gears up. And he'd want a sizeable contract.

i want gooch to stay at NUFC and make me proud! 

i still wonder how marvell wynne would do in the EPL.  he fast enough, but the weather might be his undoing!  he's a california boy.

Unless you take pride in us having a shit defence, him staying won't bring anything but sadness.

i still wonder how marvell wynne would do in the EPL.  he fast enough, but the weather might be his undoing!  he's a california boy.

Unless you take pride in us having a s*** defence, him staying won't bring anything but sadness.

no, i don't take pride in that.  if he embarrasses or disappoints then of course i want him to go.  do you really think there's no hope for him to be successful at nufc?

jamesD  you rate marvell do you not? 

Unless you take pride in us having a s*** defence, him staying won't bring anything but sadness.

no, i don't take pride in that.  if he embarrasses or disappoints then of course i want him to go.  do you really think there's no hope for him to be successful at nufc?

From what i've seen, he's been disappointing - even dangerous - more often that he's shown quality. In a couple of games he's been the embodiment of that awful "game of two halves" thing, where he has looked good one half, bad the other. But overall, he's not shown an awful lot of promise.

I can only speak about him at NUFC, never having seen him play before, and on the basis of his overall performances so far, i have not seen anything that fills me with great hope.

(still better than Shambles and Moore, clearly).

From what i've seen, he's been disappointing - even dangerous - more often that he's shown quality. In a couple of games he's been the embodiment of that awful "game of two halves" thing, where he has looked good one half, bad the other. But overall, he's not shown an awful lot of promise.

I can only speak about him at NUFC, never having seen him play before, and on the basis of his overall performances so far, i have not seen anything that fills me with great hope.

i've only seen him 1 time in the B&W stripes so, i have to take yours and others' word (which i do) for how he does.  i just hope that he can improve to be the CB nufc really need.  although, i can't say i'm encouraged by the bit in bold.  am i allowed to dream and cross my fingers for a miracle?!  :angel: http://bears.hosttown.com/style_emoticons/default/v6fx.gif      the Bonk got his prayers answered once! 

If he is really that bad then why on earth was it rumoured that other big clubs were after him, like Chelsea?

He is still trying to fit in and with the other 3 defenders changing constantly how can he really settle in?

If he is really that bad then why on earth was it rumoured that other big clubs were after him, like Chelsea?

He is still trying to fit in and with the other 3 defenders changing constantly how can he really settle in?

Ramage was linked to Arsenal.

i've only seen him 1 time in the B&W stripes so, i have to take yours and others' word (which i do) for how he does.  i just hope that he can improve to be the CB nufc really need.  although, i can't say i'm encouraged by the bit in bold.   am i allowed to dream and cross my fingers for a miracle?!   :angel: http://bears.hosttown.com/style_emoticons/default/v6fx.gif       the Bonk got his prayers answered once!  

What kind of NUFC would you be if you couldn't do that?? ;)

Rumoured, mate., Rumoured.

Like us and Ronaldo, and all the other totally shite storeis that go round.

And it isn't his team play thats in question, he's made some bad individual errors.

He IS only new, but there's nothing great about how he's been so far.

i've only seen him 1 time in the B&W stripes so, i have to take yours and others' word (which i do) for how he does.  i just hope that he can improve to be the CB nufc really need.  although, i can't say i'm encouraged by the bit in bold.   am i allowed to dream and cross my fingers for a miracle?!   :angel: http://bears.hosttown.com/style_emoticons/default/v6fx.gif       the Bonk got his prayers answered once!  

ok, good!  :hello2: b/c as a loyal nufc supporter here in the states i claim the right to be irrationally optimistic about our team in general and gooch in particular.    God, i hope he comes good. 

ok, good!  :hello2: b/c as a loyal nufc supporter here in the states i claim the right to be irrationally optimistic about our team in general and gooch in particular.    God, i hope he comes good. 

I hope so too, but I don't think he will. Still, where there's life, and all that.

One thing for sure, he'll not flourish under Roeder.

I hope so too, but I don't think he will. Still, where there's life, and all that.

well, what about that new man nigel pearson?  isn't he supposed to be our defensive wunderkind/mastermind etc? 

well, what about that new man nigel pearson?  isn't he supposed to be our defensive wunderkind/mastermind etc?  

No, he's some fella who wasn't good enough for West Brom.

Guest TheOrder

That why Jose moved to Chelsea? He wasn't good enough for Porto?

Give it a rest mate. He moved for the prospect for working for a premiership club, and with better players. Probably getting paid more.

Ramage was linked to Arsenal.

...but only as a gargoyle for the new ground.  ;)

Give it a rest mate. He moved for the prospect for working for a premiership club, and with better players. Probably getting paid more.

They didn't want him.

You think he's a brilliant defensive coach? Good for you, but you're wrong. The entire coaching/management structure at SJP needs to get peddled, ASAP.

They didn't want him.

Link? or is it just made up so you can be negative about something else?