Cocky Glenn

sempuki

^that is a heavily biased view trying to back up le harve's attempt to keep N'Zogbia there against his will. Charlie Woods actually gave an account of how N'Zogbia was spotted- while he was in Paris a french contact gave him a video of N'Zogbia in a youth match, Woods was so impressed he told Bobby to get him on a trial right away.

quoting from BBC report:

As a 17-year-old, N’Zogbia was brought to Charlie Wood’s attention by a friend in the capital. United’s former chief scout was immediately impressed by the video footage.

"Having seen videos of the boy (N’Zogbia) we decided to get him to the club for a trial as quickly as possible," says Woods. "The Chairman gave the decision clearance and he was here within a week.

"He made an immediate impression, so much so that in one practice game, Alan Shearer went out of his way to ask 'Where did you get this one from, Charlie?'

"He’s a natural," says Woods. "He’s brave, can pass, run, and has a great temperament. If asked to compare him to anyone else, I’d say Archie Gemmill (the great Scottish midfielder) or in the modern day game, Edgar Davids.

"Once we’d cleared the paperwork with Le Havre and FIFA, Charles spoke to his parents about coming to England full time. His mother, who brought him up immaculately in their small flat close to the Stade De France in Paris, said 'you must go to England.' "

The rest, as they say, is history and Woods believes there’s plenty more to come. "He’ll only get stronger and his best position is probably centre midfield," says the former United scout. "He’s just a lovely young man."

not saying Woods' friend isn't a lawyer, but it's untrue to say he wasn't spotted by a United scout. That's how scouts find talent, they use their contacts to locate the players and then their perspicacity to judge if they are talented enough.

anyone know how we got Krul?

I'm not sure what went on, like you said it could be that the friend of Woods was the lawyer, my problem isn't so much how we found him but why we don't do more to find more young players of his talent.

true, it seems like we don't have a system in place to get these youngsters on a regular basis, but simply chance upon them from time to time. it is obvious that we have the desire and ability to sign really talented youngsters, and if there were an established system set-up purely for that purpose i'm sure we'd sign more of them. Frank Wiafe Danquah is another, not sure how good he is though. we also trialled 4 players from the Ghana youth team last year, but i don't think we signed any of them.

I think this shows Roeder is keen to track young players, but doesn't have the time or power within the club to fully implement this. Look at how Spurs and Arsenal have benefitted from a comprehensive approach in the past few years. Even clubs like CHarlton are getting in on the act, they've now formed an agreement with ASEC (producers of eboue, toure, kalou, zokora and so on)- http://www.cafc.co.uk/CharltonOverseas.ink

Roeder is keen to track young players? Aye, right.

you're right, he's shown a total disdain for dealing with talented youngsters throughout his career. perhaps that is why he has gravitated towards Academy jobs in the past, obviously wants to sabotage some nascent careers.

^that is a heavily biased view trying to back up le harve's attempt to keep N'Zogbia there against his will. Charlie Woods actually gave an account of how N'Zogbia was spotted- while he was in Paris a french contact gave him a video of N'Zogbia in a youth match, Woods was so impressed he told Bobby to get him on a trial right away.

quoting from BBC report:

As a 17-year-old, N’Zogbia was brought to Charlie Wood’s attention by a friend in the capital. United’s former chief scout was immediately impressed by the video footage.

"Having seen videos of the boy (N’Zogbia) we decided to get him to the club for a trial as quickly as possible," says Woods. "The Chairman gave the decision clearance and he was here within a week.

"He made an immediate impression, so much so that in one practice game, Alan Shearer went out of his way to ask 'Where did you get this one from, Charlie?'

"He’s a natural," says Woods. "He’s brave, can pass, run, and has a great temperament. If asked to compare him to anyone else, I’d say Archie Gemmill (the great Scottish midfielder) or in the modern day game, Edgar Davids.

"Once we’d cleared the paperwork with Le Havre and FIFA, Charles spoke to his parents about coming to England full time. His mother, who brought him up immaculately in their small flat close to the Stade De France in Paris, said 'you must go to England.' "

The rest, as they say, is history and Woods believes there’s plenty more to come. "He’ll only get stronger and his best position is probably centre midfield," says the former United scout. "He’s just a lovely young man."

not saying Woods' friend isn't a lawyer, but it's untrue to say he wasn't spotted by a United scout. That's how scouts find talent, they use their contacts to locate the players and then their perspicacity to judge if they are talented enough.

I wouldn't worry about Baggio's comments, Johnny, he's shown that he's prepared to push this "DOF" to the limit, rather than admit that it is in fact, nothing other than a fancy name for a Chief Scout.

It's a good question about Krul. I forgot about him earlier, who spotted him ? The Lawyers cat  mackems.gif

It's also a good question that I asked earlier ref why exactly did this lawyer recommend Zoggy to NUFC seeing as we are the worst club in the world, with no scouts and ran like a corner shop when the Arsenal scouting system signs every promising French player who has ever been born  :laugh2:

It isn't as if the court case didn't even bring it to the attention of anyone who missed him, yet the lad still signed for Newcastle !!!!!!! How terrible a club we must have.

It is also interesting that Baggio refuses to add an intelligent comment to my posts earlier, regarding the history of NUFC and their development - or otherwise - of how they have used their youth system over the years. I would have thought an intelligent person like him could have commented on some points. Sadly, I fear the reason he hasn't, is because he is totally unable to give the current board any credit for anything, believing that for decades prior to the current board, we hit such heights that they have been an utter disaster since taking over the club.

Your comments about how scouts operate are spot on, but unfortunately you will have to accept that Baggio doesn't live in the real world.

quoting from BBC report:

I'm not sure what went on, like you said it could be that the friend of Woods was the lawyer, my problem isn't so much how we found him but why we don't do more to find more young players of his talent.

true, it seems like we don't have a system in place to get these youngsters on a regular basis, but simply chance upon them from time to time. it is obvious that we have the desire and ability to sign really talented youngsters, and if there were an established system set-up purely for that purpose i'm sure we'd sign more of them. Frank Wiafe Danquah is another, not sure how good he is though. we also trialled 4 players from the Ghana youth team last year, but i don't think we signed any of them.

I think this shows Roeder is keen to track young players, but doesn't have the time or power within the club to fully implement this. Look at how Spurs and Arsenal have benefitted from a comprehensive approach in the past few years. Even clubs like CHarlton are getting in on the act, they've now formed an agreement with ASEC (producers of eboue, toure, kalou, zokora and so on)- http://www.cafc.co.uk/CharltonOverseas.ink

You're preaching to the converted here, mate. O0

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=37528.msg748461#msg748461

And...

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=37767.msg754679#msg754679

"There aint anyone in any way, any manager, who could have kept Newcastle in the top six this year," he told The People.

Moron. He got the job because he was supposed to have done a great job last season, and was set to continue that, since it "wasnt a fluke", and he was going to do as well, if not better, since hed sign more of "his" own players. Quite clearly, it was a fluke and hes failed to do that which he was appointed for.

Amen.

How many FIRST TEAM players did he have out for the Charlton game? Owen, i can think of. Can't think any of the other absentees that are premiership quality, and its this clueless twat who failed to replace them.

You constantly say we have very few players of premiership quality, so has he done well with what he has or not ?

Also, how much money exactly do you think the club should have spent last summer to plug all the gaps in the team that you think we have ?

quoting from BBC report:

A pretty conclusive post by Johnny. Its a shame you can't admit that your argument for appointing a scout with a fancy title, and the claim you made earlier that the club has no scouts, has been shot to shreds.

I suggest you buy yourself a Spurs top.

What we really need is a scout who finds all the best youngsters everywhere, before everyone else, who all go on to become Footballers of the Year, like everyone else does.

Re player development, SOMETHING must have been getting done right pre the current board or Keegan wouldn't have been able to build his squad with the homegrown character of players such as Steve Watson, Robbie Elliott, and Lee Clark.

And we're still producing lots of players. It's just that most of them are only good enough to play in Scotland or the Championship.