Cocky Glenn

sempuki

Roeder stands tall

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder has hit back at critics saying no one could have done a better job at St James' Park than him.

The Magpies are set to end the season empty handed after crashing out of the Uefa Cup 10 days ago in Holland and are struggling to qualify for the Intertoto Cup following another disappointing Premiership campaign.

But the Toon boss hit back at suggestions he may be under pressure saying no one else could have done a better job.

"There aint anyone in any way, any manager, who could have kept Newcastle in the top six this year," he told The People.

"It is Fantasy Island for the ones who think they could have.

"What I would say is that if we finish these last eight games strongly, win games and finish up the table, under the circumstances that is the best we could have done.

"No one would have done any better," he said. "I'm talking about me here. No one would have done any better than me."

Roeder also admitted injury problems have played a big part in his side's performances this year, adding: "We have had the worst injury crisis in the club's history and in any other club's history.

"We have had a dozen players out for six months.

"I've never been able to put Michael Owen's name on a team sheet to start. I have had him once as a sub.

"No one else, with what's happened here and the injuries we've had for six months now, would have done any better."

Roeder stands tall

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder has hit back at critics saying no one could have done a better job at St James' Park than him.

The Magpies are set to end the season empty handed after crashing out of the Uefa Cup 10 days ago in Holland and are struggling to qualify for the Intertoto Cup following another disappointing Premiership campaign.

But the Toon boss hit back at suggestions he may be under pressure saying no one else could have done a better job.

"There aint anyone in any way, any manager, who could have kept Newcastle in the top six this year," he told The People.

"It is Fantasy Island for the ones who think they could have.

"What I would say is that if we finish these last eight games strongly, win games and finish up the table, under the circumstances that is the best we could have done.

"No one would have done any better," he said. "I'm talking about me here. No one would have done any better than me."

Roeder also admitted injury problems have played a big part in his side's performances this year, adding: "We have had the worst injury crisis in the club's history and in any other club's history.

"We have had a dozen players out for six months.

"I've never been able to put Michael Owen's name on a team sheet to start. I have had him once as a sub.

"No one else, with what's happened here and the injuries we've had for six months now, would have done any better."

Good to see Roeder sticking to his guns  :D

Guest eyeball_tickler

steve coppell has done considerably better with a much worse team and nowhere near £15 million spent.

Moron. He got the job because he was supposed to have done a great job last season, and was set to continue that, since it "wasnt a fluke", and he was going to do as well, if not better, since hed sign more of "his" own players. Quite clearly, it was a fluke and hes failed to do that which he was appointed for.

steve coppell has done considerably better with a much worse team and nowhere near £15 million spent.

took over a team built mostly by Pardew, on the up. He failed at Man city because he couldn't take the pressure, and don't kid yourself, it won't last, its just a first season surprise, which happens all the time and is no different to Wigan last year, and the mackems under monkey heed who then got it spectacularly wrong, just when the board started backing him too

If West Ham had kept Pardew they would now look more like getting away from the bottom, instead of Charlton. But I would prefer Charlton to stay up personally so I'm pretty pleased the barra boys are going down.

took over a team built mostly by Pardew, on the up. He failed at Man city because he couldn't take the pressure, and don't kid yourself, it won't last, its just a first season surprise, which happens all the time and is no different to Wigan last year, and the mackems under monkey heed who then got it spectacularly wrong, just when the board started backing him too

Yup!

Like Wigan, like West Ham, like Sunderland, like Ipswich, like Birmingham, like, like...

Reading will do nowt in this league in years to come.

Guest eyeball_tickler

If West Ham had kept Pardew they would now look more like getting away from the bottom, instead of Charlton. But I would prefer Charlton to stay up personally so I'm pretty pleased the barra boys are going down.

its just a general thing, like how he said no other manager could do what he has done when there are other managers doing better with less. the team roeder inherited plus the money he spent, i'd expect us to be way ahead of the likes of reading, blackburn and the boro this season.

what a crock of shit, he's just as bad as souness with his injury complaints. Souness used to just blame injuries where as Roeder just tells us every week how he's not gonna blame injuries... BUT...

wanker.

its just a general thing, like how he said no other manager could do what he has done when there are other managers doing better with less. the team roeder inherited plus the money he spent, i'd expect us to be way ahead of the likes of reading, blackburn and the boro this season.

Indeed, but a lot of clubs could say the same.

Thats football isn't it, you aren't always above the teams you should. I mean, how did all those clubs allow Wimbledon to get above them and even win the FA Cup ?

I don't think Roeder inherited a particularly good team, nor has he spent a lot of money to improve it, albeit he has had more than most other clubs due to having a supportive board.

Expanded interview --> HERE <--.

"I am not yet working with my squad. I am working with other managers' squads.

"Three players (his signings Duff, Martins and Sibierski) is not my squad.

Quite the excuse there. Basically admitting that he cannot work with players who he didn't bring to the club, presumably due to their lack of faith in him.

Say's a lot for the rest of the team including his forgotten signing Bernard and his loanees, who I assume he wants to replace wholesale (something very few managers would ever have the opportunity to do), and bring in more Duff's and Sibi's who he can actually work with and get the best out of. Har har.

Cretin.

Guest eyeball_tickler

Indeed, but a lot of clubs could say the same.

Thats football isn't it, you aren't always above the teams you should. I mean, how did all those clubs allow Wimbledon to get above them and even win the FA Cup ?

I don't think Roeder inherited a particularly good team, nor has he spent a lot of money to improve it, albeit he has had more than most other clubs due to having a supportive board.

thats my whole point really. i just used reading as an example based on this season. ive just checked the physioroom thing and reading have 6 injuries. ok, they arent the best of players, but with their small squad/transfer budget i consider it a huge failure to not be at least near them in the league.

If Roeder believes what he's quoted as saying in that article then he's an idiot, those who think he can change look like being let down.  You don't change unless you admit to your mistakes, you've got to see a problem before you can sort it out, he thinks he's got nothing to change.

Guest Knightrider

Manager in defending himself shocker...

Howay people, you should know by now not to take what a manager says as gospel or read too much into what they say, THEY ALL SPEAK CRAP. And this isn't me blindly defending Roeder here, he does speak shite, but he isn't the only one.

As to the point he is trying to make, I think he makes a fair one in all honestly. There aren't many managers out there who could have done a significantly better job than the one Roeder has done. Sure the likes of Wenger et all would most certainly have done a better job but then that's like saying "well if we had Ronaldinho we wouldn't be where we are".

Roeder has obviously been stung by the criticism or at least is aware of it, unlike his predecessor, which could turn out to be a good thing. I've already noted how self conscious he seems to be, well maybe that can act as his reality check, which is what he needs on a number of issues.

If Roeder believes what he's quoted as saying in that article then he's an idiot, those who think he can change look like being let down.  You don't change unless you admit to your mistakes, you've got to see a problem before you can sort it out, he thinks he's got nothing to change.

I'm not so sure he believes it Mick, I think basically there is nothing wrong with what he's saying, because he isn't going to admit publicy he made wrong decisons, but the fact he is saying things like this is a sign that the pressure is getting to him, which obviously isn't a good sign, for him.

We know that he must decide on Butt or Parker, he'll have to privately admit that for one thing, but he isn't going to say it !!!! He'll be gone if he doesn't though, because its negating the teams effectiveness.

Its a big summer for him, but I think he'll be here in August, do you ?

Guest Knightrider
I think he'll be here in August, do you ?

I think he will be as well, however I think higher up a few questions are starting to be asked and the pressure is on him, without a doubt, probably for the first time since becoming manager. It is up to him to answer those questions and if he fails - i.e. we start next season badly, or this one ends with a run of defeats - he could well be on very thin ice sooner rather than later, if he isn't already...

Howay people, you should know by now not to take what a manager says as gospel or read too much into what they say, THEY ALL SPEAK CRAP. And this isn't me blindly defending Roeder here, he does speak shite, but he isn't the only one.

You know, I think I've posted half a dozen times tonight pouring scorn on Roeder's public comments (in fact I refrained from adding to the Hunty thread because I became conscious about it!) However, it's not that he speaks shite, just that it seems every time he opens his mouth shite flows from it.

You're right, every manager does it, but I think what really gets my goat is that he tees off on the "vocal minority" while virtually every comment seems to have no purpose other than placating the silent majority who want to believe the warm and fuzzy sentiments he comes up with.

And I can appreciate he can't be too honest regarding transfer targets, and must take care not to upset his players by firing rockets publically, but surely the fans deserve something more than soundbites written by a PR guru? A fair proportion of fans are upset with both the progress of our season and the prospects for the future, and yet the only time I can remember a cross word coming out of his mouth was after the AZ defeat.

I used the word ruthless in another thread, and ventured that it is a virtue successful managers have but Glenn does not - for instance as NE5 states he can't decide between Parker and Butt, for me that demonstrates he isn't ruthless enough to drop his captain (or any of the other under-performing players at his disposal)

So for these reasons, you might have to forgive the vocal minority for sounding off on his talking shite routine...

I'm not so sure he believes it Mick, I think basically there is nothing wrong with what he's saying, because he isn't going to admit publicy he made wrong decisons, but the fact he is saying things like this is a sign that the pressure is getting to him, which obviously isn't a good sign, for him.

We know that he must decide on Butt or Parker, he'll have to privately admit that for one thing, but he isn't going to say it !!!! He'll be gone if he doesn't though, because its negating the teams effectiveness.

Its a big summer for him, but I think he'll be here in August, do you ?

I would rather that if Roeder was going to say something then he'd admit making mistakes rather than trying to tell us how good he is, I don't have a problem with people admitting to making mistakes, we all make them.  I wouldn't expect him to come out and tell us that he was s***, he'd be crazy to do that.  To try and big himself up the way he has in that article, if true is way over the top.  I would have more faith in him if he thought he'd made mistakes but felt he had made them and learned form them, maybe he knows about his mistakes and learned from them, we'll see.

I do think he'll be here in August unless something goes seriously wrong, something like no more points this season which I don't think will happen.  This coming transfer window is the one he's got to get right to keep him in the job.  To do that he's got to go and find more players who make an impact the way Martins has, by that I mean the number of goals he's scored.

If he brings in more Repkas, Hutchisons and Duffs then he'll probably go.  He's almost certain to get some players wrong, all managers do that.  Where Roeder will also possibly shoot himself in the foot is what he does when he gets the wrong signing, will he feel he has to play his players because he's admitting to getting it wrong if he doesn't?

You've mentioned that Martins and Owen might not work together, will Roeder keep playing them together if things don't go well with those two just because he's spent a lot of money on one of them?  Roeder is unlikely to go before August, the sad thing is that if his signings don't work then he'll probably not last all of next season then we'll start the whole rebuilding process all over again.

You know, I think I've posted half a dozen times tonight pouring scorn on Roeder's public comments (in fact I refrained from adding to the Hunty thread because I became conscious about it!) However, it's not that he speaks shite, just that it seems every time he opens his mouth shite flows from it.

You're right, every manager does it, but I think what really gets my goat is that he tees off on the "vocal minority" while virtually every comment seems to have no purpose other than placating the silent majority who want to believe the warm and fuzzy sentiments he comes up with.

And I can appreciate he can't be too honest regarding transfer targets, and must take care not to upset his players by firing rockets publically, but surely the fans deserve something more than soundbites written by a PR guru? A fair proportion of fans are upset with both the progress of our season and the prospects for the future, and yet the only time I can remember a cross word coming out of his mouth was after the AZ defeat.

I used the word ruthless in another thread, and ventured that it is a virtue successful managers have but Glenn does not - for instance as NE5 states he can't decide between Parker and Butt, for me that demonstrates he isn't ruthless enough to drop his captain (or any of the other under-performing players at his disposal)

So for these reasons, you might have to forgive the vocal minority for sounding off on his talking shite routine...

yes, while I can defend him for at least having the good of the club at heart, unlike his predecessor - this particular aspect of him does bother me. Well put and food for thought.