Assessment of current squad and what needs to be done!

Mr. Slugworth

Distin is shite imo, agree with the other signings though. (Yorkie)

Don't think anyone can deny he's a better player than Onyewu though. I also like the fact that he gives us proper cover at left back. Two for the price of nothing. Only downside is his age and he may be considered 'over the hill' and 'looking for his last pay package'.

Harsh on Onyewu after only 5 games tbh. Distin was shit when he played for us, and now he's probably risen to 'decent'. Surely we can do better.

Guest donige

Distin is s**** imo, agree with the other signings though. (Yorkie)

Don't think anyone can deny he's a better player than Onyewu though. I also like the fact that he gives us proper cover at left back. Two for the price of nothing. Only downside is his age and he may be considered 'over the hill' and 'looking for his last pay package'.

Harsh on Onyewu after only 5 games tbh. Distin was s*** when he played for us, and now he's probably risen to 'decent'. Surely we can do better.

yes definitely i think that he is promising although havent seen him in the flesh yet i really want to hopefully will do at sheffield

looks like a real presence in the air though which is an obvious need for a good centre back.

i think that we should gamble with a player like Leighton Baines at left back as well.

I really don't think Baines is that much of a gamble, he has shown his quality over the last year and a half and is certainly more proven than the likes of Bale any foreign left back we could tempt.

Guest shaun11177

A very good assessment, Glen could hardly do better.

My only disagreement is i wouldnt give Sibierski a new contract at all.He has had a great season but its time to move on.

I would also consider Taylor 1st choice-he will learn nothing sitting on a bench.

The most important position has to be a centre half. ALEX OF PSV.

I really don't think Baines is that much of a gamble, he has shown his quality over the last year and a half and is certainly more proven than the likes of Bale any foreign left back we could tempt.

He was fairly decent against Italy at the weekend, too, was well-impressed with him in comparison to the other defenders that played at various times. Played some beauties on the diagonal and generally was very composed against some good Italian attackers. Didn't exactly stand-out a mile but he does look to have a lot of potential.

I can't see outside of Bale, Baines or Bridge for people who we will make our top targets for that position and I would be delighted with one of the latter two, but neither will come cheap. Heinze would be delightful as well, although probably a fair bit more unrealistic.

Whoever doesn't go to Spurs/Man Utd may well end up here, out of the first three I mentioned, I'd expect.

Distin is shite imo, agree with the other signings though. (Yorkie)

Harsh on Onyewu after only 5 games tbh. Distin was shit when he played for us, and now he's probably risen to 'decent'. Surely we can do better.

Distin was alright! Thing is, he's no world beater but he's a decent player who had leadership skills. Something we lack so crucifyingly in the backline - leadership. An organiser. Taylor's too rash to be a good organiser, atleast for now anyway. Distin would be a canny signing on a free i reckon, providing we get someone else with him. I did say Luisao and Distin. ;)

And to Skryp2nit3, Distin's 29. Hardly 'over the hill'.

Well he's probably leaving, Man Utd aren't bothered whether he stays or goes. Just depends whether or not he wants to stay in the Premiership. I bet a £5m bid for Heinze could go a long way...

1. Heinze

2. Maxwell

3. Baines

4. Domi

realistic LBs in that order we should go for

How is Heinze realistic?

- He doesnt get a game for Manu.

- Probably pissed that Evra (who is average) automaticly is 1. choise. And heinze never did anything wrong.

- Wants to be a regular and a key player for a team.

- Knows he'll be appreciated by the fans.

- If Man U get Bale, he might (MIGHT) end up as 3. choise LB

- As Y-G said, he'll be available for a few million, as Man u dont want him.

1. Heinze

2. Maxwell

3. Baines

4. Domi

How is Heinze realistic?

- Probably pissed that Evra (who is average) automaticly is 1. choise. And heinze never did anything wrong.

Evra average? kidding me??

He didn't have a good start but has been playing really well lately (before he got injured)

1. Heinze

2. Maxwell

3. Baines

4. Domi

How is Heinze realistic?

He didn't have a good start but has been playing really well lately (before he got injured)

in france and european football he's class, but in england he's not exactly shite, but he's not really brilliant either...

Guest NIToon

1. Heinze

2. Maxwell

3. Baines

4. Domi

How is Heinze realistic?

in france and european football he's class, but in england he's not exactly s****, but he's not really brilliant either...

Agree Heinze is a realistic target, and a no nonsense LB.  With Evra first choice at Manure, Silvestre if he stays at the club, potentially Bale coming in and also the likes of O'Shea who can fill in, along with Evans returning from loan who has also done a good job at LB for N.Ireland.  We should definitely move for him or Baines

Steve Harper: Was side-by-side with Shay back around 99/00 but inevitably, his lack of games has allowed Shay to pull away. The best back up keeper in the league. Verdict: Keep him

mackems.gif

In terms of his natural ability, loyalty, length of service and attitude, I stand by it.  Better than the likes of Robert Green/Ben Foster imo. Could/should have played for England, but didn't want to leave his hometown club. Top bloke tbh.

How many great performances have you seen Heinze put in for either club or country since he done his knee in?

If he was as good as he was before he wouldn't be going anywhere.

if he only had one leg, he'd still be better than what we have...