Three players you didn't like

Stevie

If I look back on my feelings towards players we've had, there's always one player who sticks out from every squad we've had who I've never taken to.  I'm vocal at the match, but I never boo, and despite this post, I hardly ever dish out personal abuse to players in the ground.

The first player I'll mention Scott Sellars, was almost universally loved.  He had good technique, decent crosser, scored a great winner against Sunderland, yet for some reason I never took to him.  I don't know why, I'll be honest, maybe it's because I like pacey wingers, and he didn't often skin 2 and 3 players like Ginola or Waddle.  I appreciate he had good technique, but I was one of the very few people that wasn't sad to see him go.  He never really let us down, and he was never that bad even in the Premiership, just sometimes I think I wanted more from him.  Perhaps it was a slightly irrational dislike in some respects.

The next player who without doubt I will never forget, is Kevin Dillon.  Firstly he was s***, secondly he was a mackem, thirdly he was the slowest footballer I've ever seen, fourthly he was clean through against Sunderland by about 20 yards, yet he was so slow Gary Bennett caught up to him by the 18 yard box, and fifthly he was the worst captain in the clubs history.  He was so bad when I was at school you would use "Dillon" as a derogatory term..."he's a Dillon that kid".

I wanted to put Ginola in the list because of his words when he left, but he was too brilliant to hate.  I didn't hate Andy O'Brien, but as soon as he arrived from Bradford I felt like I was the only one who could see just how s*** he was.  Even now it baffles me how he managed to stay four years.  See with Bramble he's come to the end of the line now, but he could go on a run of 10 games where he was fantastic.  He was on such a run when he got injured against Sporting Lisbon in the UEFA Cup QF.  It was 1-1, 20 minutes left (2-1 up on agg), yet I knew for a fact, when I seen O'Brien trotting on our dream was over, and so it proved.  There have been many individual performances down the years, which have bordered on the punishable by firing squad, Nicky Butt against Man Utd for one, but I've never seen any single player (including Fumaca), play a worse game than O'Brien against Villa when we lost 0-3 at home.  He was obscenely s*** in my view, and for all the good Robson did the toon, some of the players he stayed loyal to, beggared belief, and when Souness dished out a three year contract for him, I nearly cried.  He's another one who got a goal against Sunderland, and by all accounts he's a really good lad, but really good lad doesn't always equal really good footballer.

There's a few who've redeemed themselves from my hatred, Butt in particular and Dyer somewhat.

Probably plump for Hislop, Jenas and Duff, though Carr would be knocking on the door. I didn't really hate him or Jenas from the off tbf, but Hislop and Duff I never ever took to/have taken to. Nicking the spot of my favourite players didn't do either of them any favours, especially when they were shite in doing so.

Bramble

Hamilton

Stephane Gu'whatsit.

Guivarc'h, or Gurridge, as my dad who deliberately used to get the players names mixed up to piss me off, used to call him, only started two games for us.  Surely not enough to bring such dislike.

Bramble

Hamilton

Stephane Gu'whatsit.

Guivarc'h, or Gurridge, as my dad who deliberately used to get the players names mixed up to piss me off, used to call him, only started two games for us.  Surely not enough to bring such dislike.

Don't question my dislike. I chose players who were utter shite, and didn't choose crap like Dyer or Duff who are just ball-achingly fucking average despite all the hype.

Agreed on O'Brien and Ramage. Both have always looked out of their depth at Premiership level. Could you imagine those two together in central defence?

I've never really taken to Craig Moore like.

The first one i'd have to mention, would undoubteldy be Titus Bramble. It's pained me to see him stay at this club for five years, it's beyond belief in fairness, when he was abnormally shit from the very off and has improved only a miniscule amount. Whatever potential he had has oficially extinguished and it's players like him who have held the team, the squad and generally the club, back. I know i'll look back in ten years time, not remembering Bramble's few good runs where he was excellent, i'll look back and think: God. He was shite.

Alessandro Pistone. He was just average. He was never really anything, was he? He was average-to-shit and one of the players that epitomised the era. Average-to-shit. We were crap at that time, finishing 13th in back to back seasons, and Pistone was just one of those players that was never, ever, going to do anything for us - despite his big reputation when he came. That attempt at a tackle against Overmars. Oh. Oh! A typical Newcastle wing-back of the modern era, you could say.

Finding it difficult to pick out a third one. It would have to be somebody like Jenas, who just couldn't care less come the end of it all and was simply shite. Andreas Andersson might be a decent suggestion. Man. He was crap.

Had/have an irrational hatred for Stimson, Cort and Dyer. Can't explain the Stimson one at all.

I reckon Cort would have been great for us if he'd stayed fit. Great player underneath it all, and Bobby loved him. He could have turned him into a special player.

Had/have an irrational hatred for Stimpson, Cort and Dyer. Can't explain the Stimpson one at all.

Edit: Thought it didn't look right.  :crazy2:

Had/have an irrational hatred for Stimson, Cort and Dyer. Can't explain the Stimson one at all.

I think everyone disliked Stimson  :lol:  There were lots of reasons, the key one being he looked like he wanted to be in Bros, and also he was pish.  I remember we were playing Oldham who I believe were top of the league at the time, and no one ever beat them on their plastic pitch, but we, who were having a shit season, were 0-1 up in stoppage time, and I remember Charlie Harrison's words on Metro "Stimson goes to clear..........OH NO...OH DEAR it's 1-1."  Under little or no pressure he'd put the ball right in the top corner  >:(

What about that time against Wolves, Steve Bull was clean through, "Stimmo", sythed him down, red card, and spontaneously the whole ground cheered the referees decision.  :lol:

You know what though these players who everyone hated, they've only got good things to say about us these days, Stimson being a great example.

I reckon Cort would have been great for us if he'd stayed fit. Great player underneath it all, and Bobby loved him. He could have turned him into a special player.

Lazy cunt he was. Went into the Lexus Newcastle showroom to look for a new motor, stood up for 3 or 4 minutes, then had to have a little sit down. And he was shit.

Warren Barton, John Beresford and Jermaine Jenas.

Cannot explain the first two, apart from their respective hairstyles during the Keegan days, and surely the last one needs no further explanation.

Thinking about it for a moment, I've just always felt that Barton was utter shite for the money we paid for him at the time and I can recall numerous costly ricks that riled me no end back in the day. As for Bez, he was probably a lot better than I remember him as being and he didn't exactly have an easy job standing out in amongst some of the players he had alongside him, but something just ever stopped me from appreciating him.

Being more current, it's harder for me to name players that I like these days more than it is dislike.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Barton didn't fetch that price because he was Barton, it was because some slapheed was splashing the cash round the league Abramovic style

Actually thought of putting Barton tbh. I can remember, like 97/98 season or something like that, my dad and i thought Barton and Albert were absolutely shite. Albert was class before that, though.

I could make a list of players i can't believe either pulled on a black and white shirt ever or played as many games as they did. Theres fuckin loads of them but i'm bored so i'm gonna think some of the top of my head. I'll definitely forget some names like but nevermind.

Hooper

Karelse

Marcelino

Dumas

Charvet

Carr

Babayaro

Boumsong

W.Quinn

Bramble

Ramage

Serrant

Pistone

O'Brien

Georgiadis

Brady

Faye

Fumaca

Bassedas

Viana

Hamilton

Maric

Rush

Andersson

Ameobi

Guivarch

Cort

Luque

I would have definitely missed some. Theres a nice list of some players i didn't rate. Theres a couple in there who didn't play enough games to rate but they cost enough, and theres probably a couple who were decent players but done f*** all for us.

Carr

Pistone

Andersson

Cheat.

I actually posted that then read your post which is a few above mine when i scrolled back up! The reason my post is a few minutes behind yours is because i had a think about it.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Actually thought of putting Barton tbh. I can remember, like 97/98 season or something like that, my dad and i thought Barton and Albert were absolutely shite. Albert was class before that, though.

seeing as you were like what 6 years old, I'm guessing it was mainly your dad?

Thinking about it for a moment, I've just always felt that Barton was utter s**** for the money we paid for him at the time

You're right.  It's astonishing to think when we gave Wimbledon £4.5m for him, he was at that point the costliest defender who had ever lived.

His first game against Coventry, we as a team were absolutely fantastic, but he, every time he got the ball lost it by playing percentage balls to no one in particular, I thought what a waste at the time.  Over his stint at the club he won me over though, through his hard work, and he did improve a little.  If some of the more talented players we have now, applied themselves 50% as much as Barton did, we'd not be fucking about in 11th.