If you could swap Roeder with another premiership manager ...

Delima
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Invicta_Toon

Mark Hughes for the toon

the only manager that could realistically come to the Toon, and he's got 1 point less than the OMFGZZZ WIZ GUNNA GET RELIGATED Roeder

go figure, who says fans are stupid?

Hughes, O'Neill and Jol. Don't know what Spurs are complaining about with Jol, he's the best manager they've had in my lifetime [of football watching] they've got a goodish team [again, the best I can ever remember them having] with a lot of potential and play exciting attacking football. What level of acheivement are they looking for?!

Gets the team playing a good attacking game (most of the time), not bad tactically but far from the quickest in making adjustments during a game.  Has his pre-game plan and sticks with it.  Second leg against just one example.  2-0 down after 8 minutes, need 4 goals to progress.  First substitution on the hour and Defoe brought on with 20 minutes to go.  If that had been Mourinho in charge, Defoe would have been on before the 15 minute mark.

Fair enough, he has his failings, but like I say, how high are Spurs's expectations all of a sudden? Who do you think you could feasibly get that would improve things enough to justify the change? It has to be remembered that Spurs were rubbish not so long ago and are still improving - they're not an established top 5/6 team who are starting to stagnate under the management like you could say we were when SBR was fired. Seems a silly idea to think about removing him now, if you ask me. (Which I'm well aware you didn't ;))

Spurs' aims/expectations are high because of 3 reasons.  Firstly, as you say, Spurs were rubbish and the change in mood started when Arnesen moved in and changed just about everything within 12 months.  Since then, we have been progressing steadily, still not an established top 5/6 as you quite rightly say, but the general trend is upwards, it's a club still going forward, not in decline. 

Secondly, when Arnesen left, he gave one of the reasons as not being able to compete with the very best in Europe, the players he wanted wouldn't move to WHL.  Comolli has shown with Berbatov (Man Utd) and Zokora (Arsenal) he can get established players to join and in Dervite, Pekhart, Taarabt, Olsen amongst others, he is still able to secure quality youngsters as well as he did when he was with Arsenal.

Some board members feel the quality of the players has rapidly improved, the ability of the coach to make the most of it should similarly improve. Other board members think Jol should get more time as he does have the ability to grow.  Levy at the moment is sitting on the fence and the third reason is the cause of that indecision.   There's little doubt that Levy will sell up sooner rather than later and he wants to maximise the value of the club, not necessarily maximise its successes on the pitch.  That's why the plans for the redevelopment of WHL (or less likely a new stadium) should be announced in the next 7/8 months.  The new academy, which is awaiting planning permission, is costing £33m.

Personally, I think Levy will be gone within 2 years and that's why there is the haste to progress further which could see Jol become a casualty.  As I've said elsewhere, Comolli knows the coaches he would be comfortable working with so it really is up to the boad to decide what to do next.  If Spurs fail to qualify for Europe, Jol will be gone imho, if we make the Uefa, then I think he will have one more year.

Apologies for drifting off topic, but I have stayed true to the question you asked! ;)

the only manager that could realistically come to the Toon, and he's got 1 point less than the OMFGZZZ WIZ GUNNA GET RELIGATED Roeder

You don't see Blackburn playing a match with heads down, whereas you see this regularly in Newcastle

Roeder spent 15M during the transfer windows on Martins, Duff, Sibierski, Bernard, Rossi, Srnicek and Onyewu. Roeder sold Faye, Boumsong, Bowyer, Chopra for 9.3M, net spending 5.7M. Hughes spent 11.5M on Ooijer, McCarthy, Nonda, Roberts, Samba, Warnock, Dunn, Henchoz, Jeffers and Brener. Mark Hughes sold Dickov, Bellamy, Douglas, Kuqi, Matteo, Neill, McEveley for 10.6M. Net spending 900k.

Newcastle 34 games 41 pt, for 37 against 43.

Blackburn 32 games 40pt, for 38 against 47.

Newcastle have injuries problems Blackburn have equally disturbing injuries.

Roeder more impressive than Hughes? Someone just says fans are stupid, indeed.

I've got a lot of time for Martin Jol as a manager, and as a person as well. I think he's done a good job at Spurs, and you've got to put what he has achieved in the context of

1, The general movement is upward, consolidation at worst.

2. As mentioned on here the other day, Spurs have finished in the top six once in 16 years, which makes last season more of an achievement, but has the effect of possibly reflecting unfairly badly on this season

3. He has put together a good (admittedly fucking huge, so by law of averages some of them must be half decent) squad of players, with a decent mix of experience and youth.

4. Of all the second tier clubs, Spurs and Everton are the ones doing best, and the ones where you can say their managers are getting results.

Just my (ill-informed, as I don't really pay that much attention to Spurs) two'penneth.

You don't see Blackburn playing a match with heads down, whereas you see this regularly in Newcastle

For what its worth, I think Hughes has the makings of a really good manager, based on what he has done there, however I'd say that they were the worst, least interested team I've seen play at VP this season, and when we played them at Ewood last week, they were so unbothered (possibly thinking forwards to the semi final) that they made us look like Brazil 1970.

I think it is too early to really judge Hughes properly - promise, yes, definitely.

I've got a lot of time for Martin Jol as a manager, and as a person as well. I think he's done a good job at Spurs, and you've got to put what he has achieved in the context of

1, The general movement is upward, consolidation at worst.

2. As mentioned on here the other day, Spurs have finished in the top six once in 16 years, which makes last season more of an achievement, but has the effect of possibly reflecting unfairly badly on this season

3. He has put together a good (admittedly f****** huge, so by law of averages some of them must be half decent) squad of players, with a decent mix of experience and youth.

4. Of all the second tier clubs, Spurs and Everton are the ones doing best, and the ones where you can say their managers are getting results.

Just my (ill-informed, as I don't really pay that much attention to Spurs) two'penneth.

Getting players into the squad isn't Jol's responsibility, that's down to Comolli.  Jol will say what position needs attention and whether the player would be for the squad or accepted first teamer, but it's rare for him to have a direct say by naming a specific player.

I'm not saying he's a bad coach, far from it, but he could think quicker on his feet and there are some board members who would like progress to be quicker than it currently is.  Sometimes, directors want instant success more than the fans!

O'Neill first choice.

Failing that, I'd take a punt on Keane. He's demonstrated enough ability to show that he wouldn't be too great a risk, and he may just be outstanding.

Then Moyes, who I think has consistently over-achieved with Everton.

Mark Hughes for the toon

You've no idea who woudl realistically come here.

And a manager with one less point than us, but you forget to mention a poorer squad. You're a genius.

Roeder spent 15M during the transfer windows on Martins, Duff, Sibierski, Bernard, Rossi, Srnicek and Onyewu. Roeder sold Faye, Boumsong, Bowyer, Chopra for 9.3M, net spending 5.7M. Hughes spent 11.5M on Ooijer, McCarthy, Nonda, Roberts, Samba, Warnock, Dunn, Henchoz, Jeffers and Brener. Mark Hughes sold Dickov, Bellamy, Douglas, Kuqi, Matteo, Neill, McEveley for 10.6M. Net spending 900k.

Newcastle 34 games 41 pt, for 37 against 43.

Blackburn 32 games 40pt, for 38 against 47.

Newcastle have injuries problems Blackburn have equally disturbing injuries.

Roeder more impressive than Hughes? Someone just says fans are stupid, indeed.

Hughes is miles better than our clown Roeder