Reception yesterday

Benwell Lad

Guest Knightrider

Had we lost and performed badly = booing, lots of anger on here today.

Had we performed badly and grabbed a 90th minute equaliser = phew... that's a great point.

Had they performed brilliantly, but we performed badly and drew the game = phew... that was a big let off, well happy we picked up a point.

Had we performed well and picked up a point against the odds, making Chelsea look average at times = great point, well played lads.

Oh wait...

TBF - only a few.

The peformence was really good,but really,a 0-0 draw and people started reacting as if we won the league

Shows how far we've gone back since Robson was given the boot.

Damned if we don't, damned if we do. See Hindu Times' thread.

Because we aren't good enough to match Chelsea for the league title etc. = boo

We ONLY draw with them at home = boo

Make your minds up, can't have it both ways. That performance and result merited a fantastic backing because our shower of s****, and we are a shower of s****, more than matched a team that is a million miles away from us at the moment.

A point, with our team against theirs which is second in the league and with one trophy already in the bag, could well sweep the lot = great result = applause.

As for Taylor milking the support, why not, he deserved it, he just dominated one of the world's most in form and fearsome strikers, something not many do. And it isn't as if he's not like that normally, he always gets overexited and goes OTT with the celebrations. See his first goal for the club.

I don't think anyone actually said we should BOO because we didn't beat Chelsea.

I have never booed any Newcastle side and believe me I've endured more than most on here.

We should always support our team noisily and enthusiastically but the point was that the celebratory atmosphere that greeted this

0-0 draw in a game which unfortunately meant little or nothing to US was to say the least a bit OTT

Guest Knightrider

Damned if we don't, damned if we do. See Hindu Times' thread.

Because we aren't good enough to match Chelsea for the league title etc. = boo

We ONLY draw with them at home = boo

Make your minds up, can't have it both ways. That performance and result merited a fantastic backing because our shower of s****, and we are a shower of s****, more than matched a team that is a million miles away from us at the moment.

A point, with our team against theirs which is second in the league and with one trophy already in the bag, could well sweep the lot = great result = applause.

As for Taylor milking the support, why not, he deserved it, he just dominated one of the world's most in form and fearsome strikers, something not many do. And it isn't as if he's not like that normally, he always gets overexited and goes OTT with the celebrations. See his first goal for the club.

I don't think anyone actually said we should BOO because we didn't beat Chelsea.

I have never booed any Newcastle side and believe me I've endured more than most on here.

We should always support our team noisily and enthusiastically but the point was that the celebratory atmosphere that greeted this

0-0 draw in a game which unfortunately meant little or nothing to US was to say the least a bit OTT

I was speaking metaphorically Benwell Lad regarding the booing.

Steven Taylor walking round the pitch like a young Niall Quinn milking applause and trying to become Tyneside's Mr.Popular.

He is really starting to get on my tits of recent (dunno why like) and i was supporter of another team id hate the bassad

First before the Taylor thing what a suprise your moaning!.

If i was playing for newcastle (the team i support) i would milk every game.  I think he knows he played well and wanted to shows the fans he appreciates that they noticed. 

I didn't think our performance was significantly better or worse than any of our other recent performances. There were flashes of quality but overall our passing isn't good enough and the strikers aren't creating much.

We got a draw not because we raised our game but because Chelsea fell way below their usual standard. You could tell that Mourinho was really angry at them. Normally he's very composed but this time he was seething. Either they were tired after the midweek game, or their minds were on the Liverpool game, or the pressure had got to them, or something. Normally even if they're not that inspired, their athleticism carries them through, but on Sunday it didn't happen.

I didn't think our performance was significantly better or worse than any of our other recent performances. There were flashes of quality but overall our passing isn't good enough and the strikers aren't creating much.

We got a draw not because we raised our game but because Chelsea fell way below their usual standard. You could tell that Mourinho was really angry at them. Normally he's very composed but this time he was seething. Either they were tired after the midweek game, or their minds were on the Liverpool game, or the pressure had got to them, or something. Normally even if they're not that inspired, their athleticism carries them through, but on Sunday it didn't happen.

Maybe Chelsea just expected to walk away with the points without having to work for them.

Maybe Chelsea just expected to walk away with the points without having to work for them.

You could be right, but that's not their normal attitude. They're usually up for every game, regardless of the opposition. That's why they're chasing four trophies, and managed to stay in touch with Man U despite the pace they were setting. On Sunday, they just didn't put their foot on the gas, and Mourinho looked - for once - helpless to do anything about it.

I just wonder whether all this uncertainty over Mourinho staying or going has affected the side. There's bound to be one or two who'd rather he went, and they didn't look like they were giving their all for him, when the crunch came. I mean, Shevchenko was on the pitch for quarter of an hour, but I don't remember him even touching the ball.

It'll be interesting to see how they end the season.

Guest Gemmill

I always enjoy a game much much more when there is good noise, but its the chicken and egg thing again, what comes first? the noise or a good performace?

Watching a football match is like making love to a beautiful woman.  The good performance will bring with it a guarantee of noise. [/swiss Tony]

I always enjoy a game much much more when there is good noise, but its the chicken and egg thing again, what comes first? the noise or a good performace?

Watching a football match is like making love to a beautiful woman.  The good performance will bring with it a guarantee of noise. [/swiss Tony]

mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif BELTA  mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif

Bizarre thread tbh.

People get on their high horses about the boo-boys when fans are getting on the players' backs but then people criticise fans for applauding the team after what was, under the circumstances (us being sh!te this season and Chelsea challenging for the title), a good performance.  Very strange imo.

As for people moaning about Taylor - double bizarre.  These boards are always covered in complaints about over-paid prima donnas with no love for the club or its fans.  As soon as somebody shows a bit of passion he then gets criticised for it.

Tbh I don't think players can be blamed for not giving a flying monkey's fcuk what the fans say because they get criticised no matter what they do.

We should set the mood early on though, by meeting every name read out on the team sheet with rapturous applause, like it used to be!!

Imagine standing waiting in the tunnel and the team sheet is read out, not 1 name is met with any real cheers, maybe Shay and Oba a little but appart from that others are met with boo' at times.

Bizarre thread tbh.

People get on their high horses about the boo-boys when fans are getting on the players' backs but then people criticise fans for applauding the team after what was, under the circumstances (us being sh!te this season and Chelsea challenging for the title), a good performance.  Very strange imo.

As for people moaning about Taylor - double bizarre.  These boards are always covered in complaints about over-paid prima donnas with no love for the club or its fans.  As soon as somebody shows a bit of passion he then gets criticised for it.

Tbh I don't think players can be blamed for not giving a flying monkey's fcuk what the fans say because they get criticised no matter what they do.

You may have missed the point of this "bizarre" thread.

No one has "criticised" anyone for supporting or applauding the team. Far from it.

The point was that the post match reception seemed a little OTT for a 0-0 draw in a game which was fairly meaningless to us. The reason the game was pretty meaningless is because much the same bunch of players have failed to produce any level of performance in far too many games earlier this season.

Re Taylor - yes he had a good game (one of very few this season) and he's entitled to his applause, but he just seems to be doing a bit of a "Niall Quinn" in terms of popularity seeking.

As a team all four defenders should have been taking the acclaim on Sunday.

We should set the mood early on though, by meeting every name read out on the team sheet with rapturous applause, like it used to be!!

Imagine standing waiting in the tunnel and the team sheet is read out, not 1 name is met with any real cheers, maybe Shay and Oba a little but appart from that others are met with boo' at times.

Spot on !

Modern day fans at SJP have become very selective in terms of which players they support and encourage. Some have been openly abused and this has caused a downward spiral effect on their form. (Shola, Bramble etc)

Have opinions and have favourite players but support and encourage anyone who wears a B&W shirt on the pitch.

Bizarre thread tbh.

You may have missed the point of this "bizarre" thread.

No one has "criticised" anyone for supporting or applauding the team. Far from it.

The point was that the post match reception seemed a little OTT for a 0-0 draw in a game which was fairly meaningless to us. The reason the game was pretty meaningless is because much the same bunch of players have failed to produce any level of performance in far too many games earlier this season.

Re Taylor - yes he had a good game (one of very few this season) and he's entitled to his applause, but he just seems to be doing a bit of a "Niall Quinn" in terms of popularity seeking.

As a team all four defenders should have been taking the acclaim on Sunday.

Fair enough.  Your initial post seemed to suggest that the people who applauded the team off the park are an embarassment which sounded like criticism to me.  I've obviously just read it the wrong way.