Oba interview in the day's Sun

Paully

The way he's talking, it's like the only question the manager has to sort out is which striker to play with him. On Oba's current form, Owen and Shola might well be the best combination.

The bit that the return of Owen is 'more interesting' for him than the return of Shola isn't very sensitive, and if I was Shola I'd use that as a bit of inspiration. Martins needs to grow a brain.

Its true though. TBH whou would you rather play alongside? Owen or Shola. I think Shola is a good player and doesn't deserve the stick he gets but it doesn't take a genius to know he is not as good as Owen really.

What I was annoyed about wasn't so much the comparison between Shola and Owen, as Martins making this assumption in public that Shola, and not him, would be third choice.

With Owen and Shola coming back, he should be thinking that he needs to improve if he's going to keep his place.

Oba suggesting that we'll challenge for the title is similiar to you suggesting that Shola should start ahead of Oba. Either both of you are WUMs or are off your tits

Well as I said, my main point was that Martins shouldn't be publicly assuming that he's going to get selected, regardless of what the competition is like.

But anyway - with strikers, it's all about combinations, and I'm one of those who has doubts about Owen and Martins together. They both do nearly all their best work in and around the penalty area and we need someone - either a target man or a Beardsley / Bellamy type - who's going to be able to link up play with the midfield. Shola has his weaknesses, but he can do that role better than the other two.

As for who's the 'better player', that's difficult because their styles are so different, but towards the end of last season, Shola was making a far better contribution to the team than Martins is now. We've failed to score in 5 of the last 7 games, and the strikers aren't creating anything.

Martins was a good buy in the circumstances. With Owen out, we needed a goalscorer. But now he's got to fight for his place against a bit of competition. People say that he'll be better in his second season once he's got used to the Premiership, but it's also the case that defenders will now have had a chance to suss him out a bit. It won't be easy for him.

Martins has every right to assume he will be first choice imo.

He can think whatever he likes, but he shouldn't be saying it in public.

Why? Because Shola might get upset?

I would much rather have confident players in the team who assume they are first choice than some of the players we have had recently!

Martins has every right to assume he will be first choice imo.

He can think whatever he likes, but he shouldn't be saying it in public.

Why? Because Shola might get upset?

I would much rather have confident players in the team who assume they are first choice than some of the players we have had recently!

Well, generally speaking you shouldn't annoy a team-mate. But I'd lay any money that none of the squad were impressed by those statements from Oba. He needs to forget about forging this marvellous partnership with Owen that's going to take us to the top of the league and concentrate on improving his own game a bit. He certainly needs to.

Typical Newcastle-Online overreaction to an article. Martins praised Shola and then said he was more interested in playing with Owen a world class finisher who he hasn't had the chance to play with yet. Shocker!!!

Guest smoggeordie

.........Given..............

Nobby..Tayls..DC...DL

Dyer....Butt......Milner

....Owen.......Martins

..........Ameobi..........

Is in glens mind tbh.

So Glenn is planning to drop his skipper?

Stop all this negativity!! We have a guy on this squad who has confidence and wants to work hard to bring Newcastle glory. He expressed confidence in his manager and his teammates and acknowledged that the fans deserved more than he gave them. As for assuming that he will be picked first, how do any of you know that he was assuming this? He does speak to Roeder, I'm sure. There's a good chance that he was told he would be in the starting 11, until further notice.

This interview shows nothing except that Oba is pure class.